Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Dabo: Early signing period would eliminate recruiting headaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 3,458

Front Page Story: Dabo: Early signing period would eliminate recruiting headaches

Nov 14, 2012, 7:08 PM

Dabo: Early signing period would eliminate recruiting headaches

Count Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney among those who would be in favor of an early signing period for college football recruits. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just, I just...

Nov 14, 2012, 7:11 PM

...I just love this man.

Me, too!

Nov 15, 2012, 6:56 AM

And I don't care who knows it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Ruff, ruff...

Nov 14, 2012, 7:18 PM

get em Dabo!!!

Got to Love IT !!

Nov 14, 2012, 8:12 PM

I could not agree more...no doubt how things go down with this guy

Dabo is solid***

Nov 14, 2012, 8:52 PM

Re: Re: Front Page Story: Dabo: Early signing period would eliminate recruiting headaches***

Nov 14, 2012, 9:36 PM

Early signing for juniors...precisely what I have long

Nov 14, 2012, 9:41 PM

endorsed. Considering the RN saga, a proposal should be made immediately to the NCAA by Clemson in conjunction with the ACC for a change to the rules: signing immediately after a junior year with an immediate ban upon other schools once the recruit has signed. Additionally, the revisions should be well-publicized to the media, so that media types like Carvell understand: once signed, the schools are forbidden to attempt further recruiting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dwayne Allen, Trammel Terry

Nov 14, 2012, 10:31 PM

I agree with what Dabo says and like his approach to committment. He does it the right way.

Now maybe I am wrong, but on the flip side, if there had been an early signing period, Dwayne Allen probably would had signed with Georgia and in this period Trammel Terry would had signed with Georgia as well.

Maybe they wouldn't have committed if they had to sign the

Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 PM

dotted line in September.

Re: Maybe they wouldn't have committed if they had to sign the

Nov 15, 2012, 8:05 AM

I agree with you. Some will sign, and some won't, and that's just fine with me. It would even out, IMO. Dabo is about as first class a guy as you can get. I'm glad he's our coach. He get's it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read an analysis showing junior 2nd rounders should leave.

Nov 15, 2012, 1:38 AM

I wish I still had access to it but it was a very detailed and compelling analysis of players that did and didn't come out after their junior year. Factors favoring going pro early included:
* Senior year may hurt draft stock. (Think Cullen Harper.)
* Senior year may have injury-- even career ending inury.
* Average NFL career length is longer for juniors.
* NFL pensions are are based on years played.

Re: I read an analysis showing junior 2nd rounders should leave.

Nov 15, 2012, 8:11 AM

I imagine there are analysis numbers both ways. I wonder, of those who stay on for their Sr. year, what the number is who get their degree, vs. those who never complete it if they leave early. This is very important, because so many of these players do not make it in the NFL, and if they do, many don't play very long. Lots only make the league minimum, which is good, but if only for a year or two, it probably won't make up for the loss of not having a degree over a lifetime.

I always vote to leave if the NFL Draft Review

Nov 15, 2012, 8:14 AM [ in reply to I read an analysis showing junior 2nd rounders should leave. ]

projects the player would be drafted in first 3 rounds for all the reasons you stated. If you are going to go through the pain and torture of a season, you might as well get paid. A player can always comeback to school, but has a short window to capitalize on their athletic talents.

Early signing gives too much leverage to schools and coaches

Nov 15, 2012, 8:10 AM

If I had a kid who could play at a high level, I would not want them to sign early. There will be pressure to if the coach says there might not be enough spots if a player waits, or they are looking at other kids to sign early that play the same position. There has been some drama at the basketball level where a kid signs early and then the coach leaves or the coach signs a player at the same position. Then the player can't get of of the LOI. The same would likely happen in football. In these situations I would prefer the student-athlete to have some more leverage over a millionaire coach and a large academic institution.

Re: Early signing gives too much leverage to schools and coaches

Nov 15, 2012, 8:15 AM

I disagree, but I'm not saying early signing is without problems, too. You bring up good points, though. I think, even now, if a coach leaves or there are NCAA sanctions, a player can get out of their commitment. I could be wrong, though.

Timing of an early signing period is critical.

Nov 15, 2012, 8:25 AM

There's too much wiggle room on the players' end if they could never enroll in a school and use that first year as a redshirt somewhere else.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Timing of an early signing period is critical.

Nov 15, 2012, 9:08 AM

There would be things to work through, but I agree with Dabo about most of it. Think of the kids out there like those that committed to usuc, and then had their offers rescinded at the last minute. That is unconscionable to me.

A head coach leaving allows a player to opt out of NLI

Nov 15, 2012, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Early signing gives too much leverage to schools and coaches ]

without penalty.

That is not correct.

Nov 15, 2012, 12:32 PM

This has been an issue in basketball where the new coach won't let a previous commit out of their commitment. If there is NCAA sanctions, then the player can get out.

http://www.monsterpreps.com/resources/national-letter-of-intent-provisions.htm

Re: That is not correct.

Nov 15, 2012, 1:31 PM

Thanks for that link. It clears up some questions I wasn't sure about.

Re: Early signing gives too much leverage to schools and coaches

Nov 15, 2012, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Early signing gives too much leverage to schools and coaches ]

Hooey. Most life know where they want to go. Even rn knows where he wants to go and it is clemson. Let the kids that are all in to any school sign and be done with the phone calls. There are some whose parents have their hands out much like rn's mom. And a few that are truly undecided. Let them have that extra 4 or 5 months. But why put added pressure on kids who know where they want to go.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good word***

Nov 15, 2012, 9:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently RN benefited from not having an early signing

Nov 15, 2012, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Early signing gives too much leverage to schools and coaches ]

period. he is able to go take 5 visits, get wined and dined and decide where he wants to go. RN might have gotten caught up in the moment and committed but his interest has obviously waned. And what if he did sign and then Dabo headed to Tennessee?

baloney.....a player wouldn't have to sign then it would

Nov 15, 2012, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Early signing gives too much leverage to schools and coaches ]

only be an optional time to sign. It would give them a locked down scholarship for the year and allow them to enjoy their senior years. It would also protect them in the event of an injury during their senior season. It benefits both player and school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you read what I said, I would not want my kid to sign

Nov 15, 2012, 12:37 PM

early. It is optional like you said and if that is what a player and his family decides great. However, for others the option of waiting and seeing what coaching changes take place and other factors is beneficial to the player. If you are a 3 to 5 star waiting might be the better option. If you are 0 to 2 and a top level dream school offers and it is a fit then by all means sign.

Baseball and basketball have an early signing period

Nov 15, 2012, 9:51 AM

It's just crazy that football doens't. Sure the kids will have a tough decision on whether they are ready to sign or not. I signed early in baseball and it made my senior year so much more enjoyable!

Here are several reasons most coaches are not in favor

Nov 15, 2012, 1:01 PM

Reasons some coaches have given for being against an early signing period at beginning of the school year Aug/Sep. include:

- an Aug/Sep. signing date reduces the time a coach has to evaluate the academic standing of an athlete

- an Aug/Sep signing date will lock in a kid to a school and the school may fire the coach or the coach leave at the end of the season

- an Aug/Sep date simply moves up the hectic period of recruiting before signing day and most coaches appreciate having some down time in the summer to spend with wife and kids, etc.

- an Aug/Sep date may cause HS coaches to complain that their superstar is giving half effort or may not even want to play his senior year because he's already signed.

Some have brought up an early signing in December but coaches don't like that because that places greater importance on the in-season recruiting and coaches want to keep the football season and recruiting season separate; both are too important to not give full attention.

Dabo is not alone, the early signing period debate for football has been around awhile, there is just not an easy solution that everyone can agree on.

Replies: 27
| visibility 3,458
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic