Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Final thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Final thoughts

Jan 2, 2013, 11:45 AM

Final thoughts

Was this the most physical game Clemson had played in a long time? What brought Tig Willard close to tears after it was over? and much more. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GREAT article.

Jan 2, 2013, 11:50 AM

David Hood is my favorite writer.

Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts

Jan 2, 2013, 12:00 PM

Haha great ending line!

"Maybe they left home to finish the game at an SEC bar."

Jan 2, 2013, 1:39 PM

Here's a shout out to David Hood. He's been the most thorough writer covering Clemson Football all year, but his writing seems to have gotten even better lately. Great observations and insights from inside the locker rooms and stadium by a true Clemson believer.

My sentiments exactly. Nice job David all year!

Jan 2, 2013, 5:27 PM

Love to see him follow baseball that closely this season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SEC fans disappear with SEC speed after a loss***

Jan 2, 2013, 12:03 PM

not the ones I know...Even the LSU fans started with the...

Jan 2, 2013, 12:18 PM

well, you can't beat bama or SC

must be nice to have 3-4 teams to support your argument.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not the ones I know...Even the LSU fans started with the...

Jan 2, 2013, 4:37 PM

They cant beat Bama either. Grasping at straws!!

Re: not the ones I know...Even the LSU fans started with the...

Jan 2, 2013, 4:45 PM

Some guy at the beginning of the game was holding up a sign saying "UGA wins tomorrow". And I don't think he was a Georgia fan.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SEC Speed = Crystal Meth***

Jan 2, 2013, 3:54 PM [ in reply to SEC fans disappear with SEC speed after a loss*** ]

Thanks B, This is a SEC caliber article, thanks for all you

Jan 2, 2013, 12:04 PM

do.

SEC can Suck my ACC!!!!

Great read...amazing how the tempo just killed them

Jan 2, 2013, 12:06 PM

in the 4th quarter

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their defense was sucking wind and standing around with

Jan 2, 2013, 12:56 PM

their hands on their hips in the first quarter. There was no way they could hang for 4 quarters. And Tajh Boyd was smooth out there under pressure. LOVED IT!! Go Tigers!

Jan 2, 2013, 12:06 PM

great article David. Esp about Tig. Thanks for sharing that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Tig Willard part is what Clemson is all about!***

Jan 2, 2013, 12:08 PM

Couldn't agree more, we've got some real men in our Sr class***

Jan 2, 2013, 1:30 PM

Tig...you will ALWAYS be a Clemson Tiger...

Jan 2, 2013, 2:34 PM [ in reply to The Tig Willard part is what Clemson is all about!*** ]

Way to go out a winner, brother!

And if you play in the NFL, I'll pull for whatever team you're on.

Go Tigers!

If you mean won the trash talking battle

Jan 2, 2013, 1:11 PM

by his play on the field, fine. But no one wins by just trash talking. Both parties are losers. Only play on the field matters.

And Nuk's energy would be better spent worrying about his next great route and catch. Perhaps the pros will humble him a little.

It's not backing down and postering on the field

Jan 2, 2013, 1:33 PM

Playing tough is #1, but intimidation comes from many things. I want here Dalton's conversation though! Point for anyone who can post a video

Yeah, cause there's no trash talking in the pros...***

Jan 2, 2013, 2:57 PM [ in reply to If you mean won the trash talking battle ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What planet did you come from?

Jan 2, 2013, 3:09 PM [ in reply to If you mean won the trash talking battle ]

My best friendships evolved from trash talking at these kids' age.

Good football requires battery. You surely don't expect we humans to leave out assault.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me take a different angle and maybe you'll get it

Jan 2, 2013, 4:29 PM

Does CJ trash talk? And how's that going for him?

John Heisman, the father of football, is really the best to say it, so you don't have to listen to me:

let your play do your talking (which Nuk has plenty of).
Football is a violent game in which men are asked to reign in their emotions while making violent plays. The players of highest character are the ones who can go about this game in all its "battery" as you say, yet keep their emotions in check.

THAT's the planet I'm from. There are plenty of great players who have not trash talked, and they are the ones of highest regard.

Re: Let me take a different angle and maybe you'll get it

Jan 2, 2013, 4:39 PM

so we won a great game and all you can come up with is critical comments? Guess you were embarrassed by Dabo after the game also? Do us true Clemson fans a favor and never wear Orange if that's the only thing you can say. Lots of things have changed in culture since Hiesman was around. One is, you don't become intimidated. It aint trash talk if you can back it up!

Just have to respond

Jan 8, 2013, 11:47 AM

though I'm told don't "correct fools, they just mock you."

1) I've said a lot of different things on this board, most of it is positive and instructional and wise. So it's not the only thing I have to say, nor will it ever be.

2) It's childish to tell other fans to stop wearing orange b/c they have a different value system than you. None of us would be wearing orange in that event. So get out of your sandbox or your mother's basement, grow up, and learn that the world doesn't think exactly like you.

3) Times haven't changed on fundamental principles. Not getting the big head is what every coach in all times preaches. If you "live by the times", sad is your fate. There has to be a standard. You obviously don't have one.

4) Dabo wasn't trash talking, nor is friends who are ribbing each other. Trash talking is the dark stuff, when players are seriously insulting and degrading each other. This is wrong, plain and simple. And just to add a religious element for good measure, a guy who was "baptized in the river" has no business making degrading comments to others. That kind of stuff was supposed to die in the river, by faith.

It's Like I Said......

Jan 2, 2013, 1:28 PM

It doesn't matter what conference you play in, or what conference you play against, you have to try to play to win the game. PERIOD > PERIOD > PERIOD.

I don't care if it's the Peach Bowl in December or the

Jan 2, 2013, 10:15 PM

Textile Bowl in November or Clemson-Wake in October or LSU-UK in September, kickking a game winning FG after trailling the whole game with 00:00 left on the clock causes a huge celebration.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.

Jan 2, 2013, 3:12 PM

It's pretty easy to see the celebration on one side is emotionally matched only by the depression on the other.

Every player and fan goes through an emotional recuperation period after a game like that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't care if it's the Peach Bowl in December or the

Jan 2, 2013, 4:35 PM [ in reply to I don't care if it's the Peach Bowl in December or the ]

If LSU had won that reporter would've said how dominant LSU is and Clemson cant compete. That was just a bitter comment from a bitter little sec man. We took it to that defense! I'm real proud of that team!! And our defense was beast! Go TIGERS!!!!

Jan 2, 2013, 3:21 PM

Awesome write up David. Big thanks to Tig for everything he has done for our program. I think he is going to get his shot in the league as well. Great player for us who will be missed

Hardest Hitter on Team

Jan 2, 2013, 3:34 PM

Thanks Tig for being the most aggressive defender on the field all season! That hit on the QB in this game made him think about running the ball again. Your example of toughness and physical play is a great example of where we need to be all over the field.

Jan 2, 2013, 4:05 PM

I'm going to go full on rage mode for a second. When I hear a news reporter say "its just the Chik Fil A bowl" after LSU gets beat on a game ending field goal against a number 14 and number 10 ranked team it ticks me off. First of all what does the sponsor of the game have to do with anything. I don't care if LSU is playing Clemson the first or last game of the season. LSU is a national brand that got outplayed that night by a team that wouldn't quit. It just goes to show you the absolute lack of credibility with reporting the news these days. We have fanboys writing columns and posting editorials for big time sites and newspapers. It is getting out of hand. Complete sour grapes on that particular individual's part

Is an SEC bar like a

Jan 2, 2013, 4:19 PM

ghey bar?

Even gheyer...full of pansies like the LSU defense***

Jan 2, 2013, 4:45 PM

nm

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2013, 8:15 PM

The Tig Willard piece brought a tear to my eye. I know how he feels. 36 years after graduation I'm still drawn to those hills on football Saturdays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jan 2, 2013, 8:22 PM

enjoyed the article:)

Miles called 3 passing plays at the end because

Jan 2, 2013, 8:48 PM

everyone was expecting 3 running plays. 1 or 2 completions would have ended the game. I don't see that as illogical. And in addition, it also goes to show that he was probably thinking that he needs his offense to win the game...not his defense (since Clemson can score so quickly).

I can't recall the game, but Chad Morris used the same strategy in his first year in one of the close games at home (Auburn or Florida State maybe). I remember thinking after the first few passes, "### is he thinking?" and then after it worked I thought, "Wow, this guy is a F'in genius.".

Miles' decision to pass 3 times is easily explained...

Jan 4, 2013, 12:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0X0ZYbnHxA

Re: Miles called the perfect play. Receiver wide open ...

Jan 4, 2013, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Miles called 3 passing plays at the end because ]

Mettenberger failed to execute the perfect play.

If he hits the receiver on 1st down it goes for 15-20 yards, game over and Miles is being praised for being bold and unpredictable.

Such is the life of a head football coach ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good article. GREAT hard-fought, big-boy win!***

Jan 4, 2013, 12:31 PM

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic