Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stanton leaves Clemson Basketball Program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

Jul 11, 2011, 4:37 PM

Springfield, TN native played in all but one game as a freshman in 2010-11. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did anybody see this coming?! Help or hurt us?***

Jul 11, 2011, 4:38 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sort of saw this coming in the sense that

Jul 11, 2011, 4:44 PM

I was wondering how he would fit into the rotation this year. I'm sure he saw all these bigger guards coming in and was wondering the same thing himself. It's never helpful to lose a guy who has a year of experience, especially with all these freshmen coming in. Long term, however, I don't think his departure really hurts us. Wish him all the best.

Definitely doesn't help. Stanton had potential***

Jul 11, 2011, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Did anybody see this coming?! Help or hurt us?*** ]

Agreed***

Jul 11, 2011, 5:08 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Surprised and disappointed

Jul 11, 2011, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Definitely doesn't help. Stanton had potential*** ]

I thought he had a good future and would get more pt with the departure of Stitt. He played a good deal last year and I thought

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:I wish him the best but it was going to be tough

Jul 12, 2011, 8:32 PM

for him in the ACC.

If you look at the kids Brownell has recruited since

Jul 11, 2011, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Did anybody see this coming?! Help or hurt us?*** ]

it's pretty apparent that he isn't looking at 5'9" guys.

He's not a bad player at all, but I believe that Stanton was an 11th hour choice by a brand new coach who had spots to fill.

Didn't necessarily see it coming, but not all that surprised.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you look at the kids Brownell has recruited since

Jul 11, 2011, 5:29 PM

Actually he was a young man that had committed to play for BB at his previous post. Both the player and the coach honored their commitment. Now the young man has decided to transfer closer to home. I certainly understand that decision.

Good point.

Jul 11, 2011, 8:37 PM

I do recall now that Stanton was already pledged to play for Brownell.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good point.

Jul 12, 2011, 2:45 PM

In retrospect they probably should have re-evaluated the situation after Brownell left his previous post.

Re: Did anybody see this coming?! Help or hurt us?***

Jul 12, 2011, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Did anybody see this coming?! Help or hurt us?*** ]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This ruined my day.

Re: Stanton leaves Clemson Basketball Program

Jul 11, 2011, 4:43 PM

That is a real shame, I was looking forward to watching him play the next few years. He looked to have a bright future with us. Good luck to the young man.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to see him go, but it will free up a scholly for an

Jul 11, 2011, 4:44 PM

ACC caliber player...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you don't think he is ACC caliber...

Jul 11, 2011, 7:59 PM

...then you don't know what you are talking about. As a frosh he did quite well and would have improved.

Now would he have had continued increasing pt? Maybe not, but he more than held his own.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

I am not going to bash a player who hustled to prove a point

Jul 12, 2011, 12:27 AM

to you, but he was not ACC caliber, and THAT is why he is leaving...He signed at WS for a reason...

Re: I am not going to bash a player who hustled to prove a point

Jul 12, 2011, 2:41 PM

Were ther evr any hints of problems before he left?

In English please...***

Jul 12, 2011, 4:11 PM

Re: In English please...***

Jul 12, 2011, 7:38 PM

The office keyboard has a sticky "e" key, but I still consider that a comprehensible post.

As clever as your handle...***

Jul 13, 2011, 12:15 AM

Re: As clever as your handle...***

Jul 13, 2011, 4:18 PM

I consider "Angel Heart" an underrated cinematic effort.

Sorry to lose him. Best of luck to Cory.***

Jul 11, 2011, 4:51 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate that. He could defend the point. So, we're

Jul 11, 2011, 8:04 PM

losing three point defenders now. Maybe, Hopkins can be persuaded to play again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he saw the 'writing on the wall'

Jul 11, 2011, 8:14 PM

BB has gone out and has future commitments from a couple of guys who can play the point that are taller than he is. I know his shot was erratic & decision-making was, well, like a freshnman, but he could defend above average. A good program gets better by having good players on the bench...this hurts our program from that perspective as Andre Young won't get pushed at practice or spelled during the games as much.

I wish him the best in a program like Middle Tennessee or wherever he ends up close to Nashville.

Jul 11, 2011, 8:18 PM

sounds like usc

He performed very well as a freshman and looked promising

Jul 11, 2011, 8:39 PM

This 'writing on the wall' talk is crap. There was no reason to weed out a good point guard. There had to be something more personal going on.

No, not crap.

Jul 11, 2011, 8:40 PM

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Good kid, was a good player, will be better...but would he ever be "the man"?

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: No, not crap.

Jul 11, 2011, 9:28 PM

Well put analysyis Tiger Town.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bull-oney---the guy signed to play in the Horizon League

Jul 11, 2011, 10:24 PM [ in reply to He performed very well as a freshman and looked promising ]

He loved the coach & took a chance in following him to the ACC. He was probably feeling overwhelmed and uncomfortable and just wants to play. I applaud him for being honest with himself and going to find a place that is more in line with his size & ability.

Does anyone really believe that he would be a starter in the ACC after Andre Young graduates? I personally don't see it and I don't think he or BB believed it either.

But now the question is who is going to be the point guard

Jul 11, 2011, 11:23 PM

after Young leaves.

Actually, after this year we will only have true sophomore guards. Right now we only have Young and Smith plus the incoming freshmen.

Clemson may need to look at letting in some JUCO players.

Sophomore starters in hoops not a big deal.***

Jul 11, 2011, 11:26 PM

It is when it's in the ACC.***

Jul 11, 2011, 11:29 PM

Yes, been generations since we had a soph PG take us to...

Jul 11, 2011, 11:32 PM

the NCAA...oh wait, Stitt did it.

TMac did it.

Many have done it.

Your point was what again?

Did we have TWO sophomore guards when Stitt did it?

Jul 11, 2011, 11:44 PM

No, I don't think we did. We actually had KC Rivers on the team as a senior, and Stitt learned under KC Rivers and Cliff Hammonds when he was a freshman.

These incoming freshmen will have Tanner Smith and Andre Young, neither one are pure point guards.

Which leads me to my basic point that we don't have a "finishing" type point guard around the rim now. To be an elite team you either need one of those or good shooters.

Kemba Walker, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Jeff Teague, Ty Lawson could all penetrate and finish which is why they were successful.

We don't have any of those type of players unless a freshman point guard can come in.

LOL...ok champ.

Jul 11, 2011, 11:49 PM

You're right, if you don't have an NBA quality guy that you named off then there is no hope.

Don't think anyone suggested Tanner is PG in any way, but not sure how Andre isn't a PG. Is he a 6'2" guy who can finish strong? No, but he is more than capable to lead Clemson to a very good year as a PG...and "mentor" someone. Suggesting otherwise is pretty freaking comical, not sure what he's done to say he isn't as capable of working w/ young guys as anyone else. Forget that the coaching of players seems to be better now than we've had anytime recently.

I have faith in Brownell no doubt. And yes Andre Young had a

Jul 11, 2011, 11:54 PM

great assist to turnover ratio this past year. But the only guards we have right now are Young, Smith, two incoming freshmen point guards, and one incoming freshman shooting guard.

After this year we will have two sophomore point guards, a sophomore shooting guard, and whatever recruits Brownell can bring in.

My point is we will have a back court that has only one year of experience if any. That isn't a very good recipe for success, which is why I suggested that Brownell try to persuade Clemson to bring in a JUCO player or two.

And I was the biggest Demontez Stitt fan there was since he was a freshman, and he was what kept the team going this past year he was the leader, someone else is going to have to step up.

And your original response, you named two sophomore point guards that got us to the tourney. If there are "many more" as you said who are they?

Andre top 5 returning 3 point shooter...

Jul 11, 2011, 11:59 PM

...in ACC BTW, since he can't finish at the rim as you expect folks to at least he can mentor folks on shooting I guess.

As for soph pg's, many lead their team to NCAA tournament...I'll let you look it up. Would I rather have a Stitt like SR every single year - sure. I'd also like to have Greg Buckner at the 3, Dale Davis at PF and Elden at center but let's get back from lala land.

If you don't think sophomores w/ talent and good coaching can succeed quite well....I'll let you wrap up this conversation with your next post and we can just both move on.

I don't want JUCos, more fail there than sophomores at programs w/ coaches like BB.

I think I'd prefer that line-up from "lala land"....:~)***

Jul 12, 2011, 12:01 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, but not any of those guys before they were SRs.

Jul 12, 2011, 12:03 AM

That surely would be a disaster.

Re: Andre top 5 returning 3 point shooter...

Jul 12, 2011, 12:08 AM [ in reply to Andre top 5 returning 3 point shooter... ]

I never said that he couldn't shoot three pointers. It will be harder for him to shoot them if he is the point guard though. The drive and dish is a fundamental part of basketball today and what we need is a PG to drive in and either a)finish or b)get a kick out to preferably Andre Young.

However, if Young is the PG he can't kick it out to himself and I've never really seen him cross anyone over and pull up for a three every time. Maybe every now and then but he normally is a catch and shoot.

And I would love to have Stitt as a senior every single year too...I don't really know why you included this in your post?

I never ever said Sophomores with talent couldn't succeed. My point is that in 2012/2013 we will have THREE SOPHOMORE GUARDS and HOWEVER MANY FRESHMEN GUARDS BROWNELL CAN BRING IN THIS YEAR. It's not the most favorable situation to have, why can't you understand that?

Yes, my bad....

Jul 12, 2011, 12:10 AM

....we're in big'ol trouble and should bring in JUCO's.

We'd be much better off.

What is your deal? I never said we are in "big'ol trouble

Jul 12, 2011, 12:15 AM

and should bring in JUCO's."

I'm just saying that all sophomore/freshmen guards is not a favorable situation to be in and perhaps bringing in one or two JUCO players could help. We haven't even seen the freshmen play this year yet so we don't know what we have at the guard position for the future.

Do you even have a clue of where I'm coming from? I'm not downplaying Brownell and I have confidence in him and I think we will be fine I'm just saying having that much inexperience in the back court isn't something that is favorable for a team in the ACC.

Re: What is your deal? I never said we are in "big'ol trouble

Jul 12, 2011, 12:20 AM

I believe Devin Coleman will be a stud and our depth at the guard position will be fine by next year. I am worried about this year though.

I'm not as worried about this year as I am next year.

Jul 12, 2011, 12:22 AM

This year my main concern is Young having to play a lot more minutes and his legs being dead at the end of the season.

Re: I'm not as worried about this year as I am next year.

Jul 12, 2011, 12:28 AM

That seems to be a pretty major concern to me.

I think Coleman and Sapp will be decent by ACC play this

Jul 12, 2011, 12:33 AM

year but to expect them to have to come in and carry the team isn't going to happen. That's another concern this year is if Andre and Tanner get into foul trouble then we have true freshmen running the guard spots.

It will be an interesting year no doubt.

Stitt started half way through his freshman year

Jul 12, 2011, 8:53 AM [ in reply to But now the question is who is going to be the point guard ]

lets hope these incoming freshman, and I think most likely Sapp, will be ready by his sophomore year.

Stanton was an important role player for 2011-12.

Jul 12, 2011, 4:49 PM [ in reply to But now the question is who is going to be the point guard ]

It's a shame to see him leave, but I certainly understand his motives and wish him the best.

I hope fans give BB a break this coming year. Stitt's assets are not present on the current squad - only the possibility of a freshman stepping up, and that will take time. Stitt was a tremendous competitor whose PG skills created numerous opportunities. Young may be decent with the ball but not having himself to dish to for a 3 does not bode well, and he just doesn't have Stitt's moves to the basket - a critical component of PG success.

I see a drop-off in wins as BB's team begins to form into its own. Hard to imagine it any other way.

Sophomore PG's don't concern me near as much as what's coming up this year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bull-oney---the guy signed to play in the Horizon League

Jul 12, 2011, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Bull-oney---the guy signed to play in the Horizon League ]

This post is a joke.

This is not football recruiting. The way talent carries over to college bball is not the same as football. Just because someone only had smaller offers doesn't mean the guy has no future in the ACC. Also, having him as a backup is much more valuable than having no one or a freshman.

I'm saying there has to be more to the story because he is the gauranteed to get playing time this year, and if Young goes out for a game or more, he will be the guy as a Soph. Size and ability is on par with Young, who is actually an inch shorter. So yes, just like Stitt and Young, I could see Stanton as a starter for Clemson.

Re: He might have been a starter but I don't believe that

Jul 12, 2011, 8:44 PM

we could win in the ACC with him

He should go to UT...

Jul 11, 2011, 10:04 PM

good chance to play right away there..they'll need some players in the coming years.

coach must just be making room for better players

Jul 11, 2011, 10:32 PM

got to be it, right?

Oh, I think your coach and his #### poor coaching...

Jul 11, 2011, 11:34 PM

..bad suits and even worse hair cut will be making room for those "SEC caliber" players in your hoops program.

Y'all are just pathetic.

No, Clemson doesn't over-sign...

Jul 12, 2011, 12:33 AM [ in reply to coach must just be making room for better players ]

and then have to run off players the coaches don't want any more.

nice spin, wrong, but nice.***

Jul 12, 2011, 9:33 AM

Re: nice spin, wrong, but nice.***

Jul 12, 2011, 10:10 AM

Show me where we've over signed????

Now spin that

CO*arsehole*UGH

Jul 12, 2011, 10:14 AM [ in reply to nice spin, wrong, but nice.*** ]

Coots suck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re:We are still waiting on you to explain the Sherman deal.***

Jul 12, 2011, 8:47 PM [ in reply to nice spin, wrong, but nice.*** ]

has to be- that's the way it works***

Jul 12, 2011, 9:33 AM [ in reply to coach must just be making room for better players ]

Re: TigerTown: This is a loss to us, not a good 'opening'

Jul 12, 2011, 8:14 AM

We have SIX returning players. The rest are incoming freshman. No backup point gaurd. Just because he wasn't John Wall his freshman year doesn't mean he wouldn't be just as successful as Stitt or Young in the coming years. His play improved throughout the year and I was comfortable with him running point. Remember when Stitt was a freshman and the mistakes? And talking about heigth? He's taller than Young who everyone would agree is good enough to run the point in the ACC.

If he is seeing the 'writing on the walls' then why didn't Baize, Anderson and every other backup in history stick with it?

If this is aimed at me....

Jul 12, 2011, 8:35 AM

...you may want to read my posts, we're on the same page. I didn't want him to leave, nor have I suggested it's good for us. I actually argued w/ folks who said he's not "acc caliber"....I said he was. Maybe not All ACC in his future but not every quality acc pg is.

Sorry, I misread. The lack of rectuits last year will hurt

Jul 12, 2011, 10:47 AM

us for a while. There is some pressure on CBB to turn some kids into athletes with a quickness

I actually do disagree with "cut and dry"

Jul 12, 2011, 12:41 PM [ in reply to If this is aimed at me.... ]

what have you seen that is cut and dry about Stanton's lack of future here?

Our guard situation is scary this year

Jul 12, 2011, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: TigerTown: This is a loss to us, not a good 'opening' ]

If at least 1 or 2 of these true freshman aren't ready to play ACC basketball ASAP we are in for a tough year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Young, Smith, Jennings, Booker and Baicu

Jul 12, 2011, 11:16 AM

If that is what BB has to bring to the ACC this year, then that is what's SCARY...I wonder if some of those guys who aren't here anymore (Hill, Johnson, Stanton) or didn't come (Thornton) are going to regret the opportunity to play a lot of minutes this year this year.

I hope that BB has his eye on somebody "floating" around from another school in need of a place to play. We sure don't need to count on walk-ons to fill the roster.

CONGRATS COREY YULL ALWAYS BE A TIGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Jul 12, 2011, 11:40 AM

lol***

Jul 12, 2011, 12:30 PM

You think this is the real story? Or just something good...

Jul 12, 2011, 12:59 PM

...to say to the media?

Jul 12, 2011, 9:26 PM

He seemed like a fine young man - he just couldn't shoot...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2011, 11:50 PM

His quickness to the whole was certainly ACC caliber. He could blow by guys.

But yes, his three's were hard to watch.

Replies: 69
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic