Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jounge advice - new job?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Jounge advice - new job?

Jul 6, 2020, 6:06 PM

Was told about a college admin job that I'm wanted for just outside of San Diego, through a friend. Today was offered the position, but haven't yet discussed some details. Set a meeting Friday afternoon FL time to discuss money and such. Any advice on:

1. Figuring out how much more money I should ask for since living in CA>living in FL.
2. Figuring out how much in relocating costs.
3. When should I tell the preggers wife we might be moving coasts?
4. Whether San Diego is an awesome place to live or just an awesome vacay spot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven't heard of any riots, or covid news out of Diego.

Jul 6, 2020, 6:08 PM

Great city. But it's still in California.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where do you live now?

Jul 6, 2020, 6:11 PM

1) If you make 80k now, I would think you would need to make 120k (maybe more?) to live a similar lifestyle in Southern Cal. I'm just spitballing, though. I would check out mortgages and other cost of living stuff.

2) If you're moving cross country for a management position, they should cover at least some of those expenses.

3) Tell her when you have some hard data. Or SIIHB, idgaf.

4) I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about San Diego. Maybe Carlsbad® can halp since he's from the area.

Re: Where do you live now?

Jul 6, 2020, 6:20 PM

I'm shy of 6 figure now, but thought about asking for 135 or more depending on how benefits compare. I would think benefits there would be better, though, because it's a state school.

Unsure if worth it to miss so many Clemson games, though. Hadn't factored that in yet.

Also thinking about asking for them to fly me out to check the place out. Is that standard or usually something out of pocket?

I'll defer to someone who's made a cross-country move

Jul 6, 2020, 6:31 PM

before.

I'm not sure if that's standard or not, but it doesn't sound like it.

You do get to wake up, get coffee, and watch football though***

Jul 6, 2020, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Where do you live now? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Didn't think about the time change

Jul 7, 2020, 11:20 AM

but it would be a huge benefit.

The only thing I got is that the .............

Jul 6, 2020, 6:14 PM

weather would be perfect and a lot of great breweries/food.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This sounds like I’m joking, but not.

Jul 6, 2020, 6:32 PM

Take the top of the salary range for your position....a number you might almost think was a little ridiculous.....and add 15%-20% to it.

CA is just a different world and a different economy. To get the same caliber $60k employees that I used to hire in the rest of the country, I had to pay $90k-100k in CA, and HR didn’t blink an eye.

If you’re negotiating with a CA lifer with limited national interaction, all the better. They have no clue what jobs pay in the real world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it’s a state school you should be able to find

Jul 6, 2020, 6:46 PM

what the last guy made on the webs and go from there.

Since they asked you add 10%+ to whatever you come up with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Jounge advice - new job?

Jul 6, 2020, 7:54 PM

Where just outside? I love the San Diego area. What school?

Jul 7, 2020, 10:32 AM

Hey man, I tmaled you. Didn't want to say on here because this little cuck called t3t has been stalking me, TDing all of my stuff and tmaling other loungers creepy stuff. Didn't want to get cancelled before I even got there. 2020, am I right?

Jul 6, 2020, 10:21 PM

I spent 3 years in San Diego and never had a bad day. I was there on a contract, so I didn’t really have to worry about buying a house etc.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 10:29 PM

1. The problem is housing costs, you won't get a comparable salary for that move, it's nearly double. But reach for the stars on this one, and let them talk it down, similar to what Obed said.

2. Not sure about full cross country move costs, I'd check into that.

3. ASAP, lol.

4. I have a large project there at the naval bases, it's beautiful, have two cousins and a few friends that have moved there and love it. Cost of living is the only complaint.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Been a decade since I moved anyone to SD, cost of living

Jul 6, 2020, 11:02 PM

difference was severe, tho. Required a 4 yr, 200k, forgivable loan for a move from NC, so I don’t think Obed is pulling your leg. Taxes, consumables higher; prop insurance might be lower getting out of a hurricane zone, but prolly not by much. Mgt level move shouldn’t cost you a thing and use their movers if you can instead taking a lump sum for relo. If you do lump it, make them gross it up for taxes.

As a state school, salaries of folks in similar positions at other state schools should published. Tho real estate diff is big between SoCal and NoCal, but you should be able to get an idea of what people in your job make out there. All I can think of right now.

Spent a week in San Diego this past year for work.

Jul 7, 2020, 9:07 AM

Really nice place, but I was amazed at what it would cost to live there. You could stay in the finest hotels for next to nothing, and everything else was 300% more expensive. I can't speak to being a resident, but I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to go back and visit. I have two different friends whose kids went out there for school and managed to survive, so you probably could too. Fantastic food, weather, and beaches...but still, California.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dawghater2she is going through this

Jul 7, 2020, 9:30 AM

minus moving coasts...

right off the bat, I'd add the state income tax % to your salary as I think FL doesn't have state income tax. I would then check the google for COL difference. SD is for sure HCOL area and should warrant at least a 20-30% increase just to level set (in addition to state tax bump).

Once you get an apples to apples number, bump that up by 10 - 15%. Basically make them pay you to move there. That should be the minimum salary you'd entertain, much less accept.

For the cost of moving, at a minimum, set the expectation for real estate commission and closing cost reimbursement, all trucking / moving costs, stipend for temporary housing, stipend for discovery trip, and a fat signing bonus for your time.

Since it sounds like you have kids / have one on the way, try to take into consideration the cost delta of childcare, insurance, etc. in CA vs FL. I'm sure it's nauseating.

God speed bro. I've heard nothing but good things about San Diego fwiw

Thanks for the info

Jul 7, 2020, 10:34 AM

My biggest concern is that in this economy there are so many people desperate for work that it's just supply v demand that will lead me to not get what I want. We will see, though.

DOUBLE THAT SALARY

Jul 7, 2020, 10:52 AM

GET THE BAG

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well then stay where you are

Jul 7, 2020, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Thanks for the info ]

unless you hate it and are trying to leave, right?

don't take a pay cut or have to reduce your lifestyle unless you want to move to SD...but that's just my opinion.

Ocean is warmer in FL than CA***

Jul 7, 2020, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Thanks for the info ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

If you hire a moving company, it’s gonna cost you close to $20,000, I’d guess.

Jul 7, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to dawghater2she is going through this ]

That’s to pack, move, and deliver your stuff. Most moving companies will pick up empty boxes when you’re done, too. That’s a nice service.

I, however, would not move if it came out of my pocket. I’ve moved cross-country 3 times now, and it was all covered by the companies. Three different companies.

Also, regarding a gross up for moving expenses, I still got shafted like nobody’s business this time around. I just moved from Memphis to San Antonio last year. Unexpectedly, about my 4th paycheck was cut to about 40% of what it should have been due to taxes on the move. The move is counted as taxable income, and from what I’ve gathered, there aren’t many ways to account for that with the numbers where the person relocating doesn’t take a hit like that. It wouldn’t have been so bad, but I was blindsided as this had never happened with the previous times I’d done the same thing. It had to do with the new tax laws. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if I’d known.

Also, I’ve had a company paid house hunting trip every time I’ve moved. Never done any of this with a university though.

Best of luck not getting hosed. I wouldn’t live in CA, but that’s just me. Let us know how it pans out. Good luck.

Re: If you hire a moving company, it’s gonna cost you close to $20,000, I’d guess.

Jul 7, 2020, 12:35 PM

Good to know it counts as taxable income. My intention was to sell everything here except clothing and small things we could take on flights and start over there. I figured 10k could go a long way towards furnishing a new place but not if it's taxed, and taxed at the upper bracket, since it's on top of salary.

Selling everything is a hellagood plan.

Jul 7, 2020, 3:42 PM

My move from Houston to Memphis was about $22,000. Didn’t get to get rid of anything since it was kind of a rush. That was a 3000 ft^2 house almost fully furnished.

Sold all kinds of stuff before moving from Memphis to San Antonio. Was about $12,000 - $13,000 for that move. Selling stuff makes you sad, though. We sold about $8000 worth of stuff for a cool $2000. Cheapassmotherfuckers.

Re: If you hire a moving company, it’s gonna cost you close to $20,000, I’d guess.

Jul 7, 2020, 4:12 PM [ in reply to If you hire a moving company, it’s gonna cost you close to $20,000, I’d guess. ]

Anytime you move away from Memphis, it's worth whatever it cost.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

San Diego is nice

Jul 7, 2020, 3:45 PM

They are not as whacked out as the rest of California. Take your current salary requirements in Florida and multiply by 1.5. That will be close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2020, 6:27 PM

You need to review housing cost, general cost of living, the CA taxes, and your share of the costs of benefits (and get a number for that).

My experience is people lose out when moving to CA no matter how much they get, but people that can stay with a company moving FROM CA can do well because most companies won't make you take a pay cut.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic