Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you have an answer to BB recruiting, step up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

If you have an answer to BB recruiting, step up

Dec 19, 2015, 8:30 AM

Fault BB for recruiting, but then tell us who at Clemson CONSISTENTLY brought in quality, high level talented players?

Clemson basketball is Wake Forest in football. It has had some quality years, but it is not a solid program with history of success.

Does not have to be like that, but it is right now.

So can there be a Dabo like coach for basketball? Can a university have 2 Dabos succeed at same time?

Are there many schools that sustain high level success for two progrsms over time?
UF did for awhile
What other universities?
Ohio St maybe
Texas for a bit

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So that's the attitude? No one has won here, so don't

Dec 19, 2015, 8:52 AM

expect much. Here is the reality. We are recruiting against Southern Conference teams, not ACC teams for recruits. That's the problem. The result is what we see. CBB has be here 5 years now. I don't know who else to point the finger at.

Re: So that's the attitude? No one has won here, so don't

Dec 19, 2015, 11:17 AM

Never said that is the attitude.

Just asked for experts to say where has the Clemson fallen from in terms of recruited talent?

If we have been so great before, I just do not remember when.

Also what schools have been elite in football and basketball at same time?

Is that easier for you? Share your insights vs rants.

Great! So are you willing to invest substantially more in basketball?

Dec 19, 2015, 11:33 AM [ in reply to So that's the attitude? No one has won here, so don't ]

That means paying a much higher salary for the coach, continually upgrading facilities, showing up to games, and upping your donations to the athletic department while expressing your desire that you care about Clemson basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Browned competes against Mercer, Charlotte, Wofford,

Dec 19, 2015, 11:45 AM [ in reply to So that's the attitude? No one has won here, so don't ]

etc.

Re: If you have an answer to BB recruiting, step up

Dec 19, 2015, 9:04 AM

Stop skimping on the facilities. The renovation will be a huge boost, the new practice court will be huge and impressive. But they need to not value engineer it into another dog. I am out of the loop on. This one now, volunteered my time on it a while back. If they stuck to their budget, it will be a nice boost to recruiting.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where did they cut corners?***

Dec 19, 2015, 9:47 AM

Re: Where did they cut corners?***

Dec 19, 2015, 11:26 AM

Read your history fella.

Clemson under Tates wss not squeaky clean

Dec 19, 2015, 11:29 AM

Dec 19, 2015, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Where did they cut corners?*** ]

looked to me like they were in the process of value engineering out finishes. They had really nice metal panels picked out. The new practice court will be awesome though. It has a recruits lounge that looks down into it, as well as all the coaching offices looking in as well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purnell was coach when Inwas at Clemson

Dec 19, 2015, 9:12 AM

Brought in a few four star guys and always competed at a high level. We would routinely upset the big players and had teams in and out of the top 25 and going to the NCAA tournament every year. We also got better while he was here making it to finals of ACC tournament one year. Since Brownwell took over he went to NCAA first year with Purnells players, next year NIT, then four years of worse every year and not sniffing post season play. I realize National Championships aren't a realistic goal for Clemson but post-season play should most definenently be. We can't compete with schools like Coastal, Wofford, and Winthrop in our own state which is sad.

Re: Purnell was coach when Inwas at Clemson

Dec 19, 2015, 11:24 AM

Name all OPs 4* players.
He recruited athletes, not basketball talent.. See FT shooting% and 3pt %.

Tell me how he developed them.

He coached when ACC was down, certainly not now.

He did not leave talent. He did not have inroads of recruiting avenues.

The games were entertaining and he lived and died by sword. Never wss sustainable BC he did not win one game he should have in ncass.

He loaded up on fluff in December to get ranked and then wss average when ACC games started.

Shaka Smart wss best guy at Clemson even when OP wss here.

Brad Brownell has 2 yrs max to show if he is to stay. Will be interesting to see what occurs?

My only trouble or concern is why the transfers,? What is going on behind scenes.

The goal is to not be terrible...not get All-American's

Dec 19, 2015, 9:20 AM

The Tiger basketball program wasn't terrible under Rick Barnes or Oliver Purnell. It is under Brownell. Recruiting is a major component of it. Brownell's specialty is developing players? You mean the ones that transfer every year? His very first signee transferred and players have been leaving ever since. He's more transfers than tournament appearances...by a long shot. Is the basketball program stagnating, on the ascendancy, or the decline? Two of the three aren't good given where the program is.

Was USC much more of an attractive job than CU? They haven't made the tournament since 2004. They hadn't even been ranked since 2004 and they've clearly pulled ahead of the Tigers.

I think the bottom line is the majority of Clemson fans don't expect to be a basketball power. The goal should be to have a program that's respected. Not Wake Forest football...think NC State football. Respected...not great.

Re: The goal is to not be terrible...not get All-American's

Dec 19, 2015, 11:31 AM

Barnes leaving hurt Clemson basketball. He would have had Clemson good and consistent for awhile.

OP was a Phoenix from the Fire guy. He did well when ACC was down and loaded up preseason fluff to inflate wins to make ncaas. He did not develop tslwnt, did not maximize his players and does not have a sustainable approach. He "makes" the ncaas but can't win a game there. His NCAA game failures shows himnas worse coach than BB..

What does DePaul think of OP?
Chicago is basketball talent rich. How did OP do in recruiting?

Dec 19, 2015, 9:43 AM

I miss the days of Tates Locke when we bought bb players fair and square. I think BB is a great x and o man, but recruiting the same ball players at the ACC that he did at Depauw isn;t cutting it.

Dec 19, 2015, 11:27 AM

Points for you, sir.

Tates era was Clemson to be good, be darned the consequences.

OP brought in consistent talent

Dec 19, 2015, 11:20 AM

and was consistently top 5 in the conference and made the big dance regularly. We should expect that.

Dec 19, 2015, 11:21 AM

So I guess what you are saying is if it is broke there is no need trying to fix it right.....Go Tigers!!!

Dec 19, 2015, 11:55 AM

OK has a top notch BB program.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic