Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recent Clemson Graduate Seeking a Full Time Job
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 4,241

Recent Clemson Graduate Seeking a Full Time Job

Aug 6, 2018, 9:17 AM

Hey Tigernet, I really hate to do this and it's not really my style, but I'm getting desperate. I graduated from Clemson with a degree in Financial Management (Corporate Finance emphasis and a minor and Accounting) in December. I have been actively searching for a job but I haven't been able to secure anything. I have tried broadening my search to more than just corporate fiance but I still have had no luck. I keep making it to the last stage of interviews just to be passed up for someone who has loads of experience for entry level jobs. I live in the Charlotte area and am available to begin work immediately. Does any one know of anyone who is hiring or just have advice on how to get a first job? I would appreciate anything.

Thanks and Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I see accounting work openings ALL THE TIME

Aug 6, 2018, 9:41 AM

as I have been tasked to review ERP systems to replace our current Microsoft platform.

Not so much on financial management, but there is a ton of work in ERP system work. The biggest market would have to be Microsoft Dynamics right now. Their ERP line has grown vastly in the last 5 years.

Most any of their products will require a consultant. Usually on both production (manufacturing and so on) and an accounting consultant. There are MANY consultant firms that use remote employees to travel to job sites and setup systems. Good money too. You can easily start in the $75k/year range, because so many people are needed.

Dig around the AX,NAV, and GP product consultant local to you, and see if they're hiring accountants. In Charlotte specifaclly, I have worked with InterDyn Artis. Sister to InterDyn BMI. Good people you can check with.

Good luck.

Thank you for the Advice!

Aug 6, 2018, 10:33 AM

I just sent in an application.

You aren't "holding out for a management position" are you??

Aug 6, 2018, 9:43 AM

If you can get your foot in the door with a major bank doing anything, you can typically move around pretty quick after a year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No I wouldn't say that

Aug 6, 2018, 10:42 AM

I did try previously but it didn't work out, but I am still open to the opportunity

Doesn’t look like he’s holding ouf

Aug 6, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to You aren't "holding out for a management position" are you?? ]

For a management position. He’s already a king and that’s the highest management position I think.

In all seriousness, I know the struggle of trying to find something straight out of school. Good luck and if I get wind of anything here in Charlotte I’ll pass it along.

Check tmail***

Aug 6, 2018, 9:45 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recent Clemson Graduate Seeking a Full Time Job

Aug 6, 2018, 9:49 AM

8 months and no job? Have you looked at polishing up your interview skills? A lot of good resources out there.

My friend's son just graduated with the same degree and he's on Wall Street working as a junior analyst. Took him all of 2 weeks to land the job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Aug 6, 2018, 8:41 PM

How about giving the young man some positive/constructive input or nc?He's struggling and really doesn't need to hear about your "friend's son".Lots of other constructive suggestions from other TNet members.NM

I'm sure he feels better now lol!! "All the other

Aug 7, 2018, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Recent Clemson Graduate Seeking a Full Time Job ]

Grads in your major are working on Wall Street what's your problem" ?? you missed your calling and should've gone into counseling!

Aug 6, 2018, 9:55 AM

Alumni association has some placement and career stuff. Check in there if you haven't already

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know how you feel.

Aug 6, 2018, 10:10 AM

I graduated in 2017 with an Accounting degree and it took me 4-5 months or so after graduation to find a good job. It’s a tough market out there for sure. I probably submitted 50 applications at companies and only got 5 interviews, but then again, I didn’t really know what I wanted to do.

My advice is to just keep on trying. I got a job working with Budgets and I really enjoy it. I never thought I’d be doing that but sometimes it just works out that way. I wouldn’t be picky, but if you’re 100% sure on what you want to do, you probably have to broaden your reach a bit. I tried to stay close to my hometown and there wasn’t many options so that’s why it took me awhile.

Just expand your search a bit and keep trying. No reason to be discouraged! You’ve already done the hard part in getting that Clemson degree. It definitely is worth it.

If you don't mind me asking

Aug 6, 2018, 10:44 AM

did you use a specific job board or a recruiter?

Man, I tried about everything.

Aug 6, 2018, 11:53 AM

For the five interviews I got, four I applied on each company’s website and one I got through a connection at Clemson (my advisor forwarded an email of people asking for applications for an accounting job down in Charleston).

I tried Indeed a little bit but I found that applying on a company’s website is the best bet. I would just think of local company’s I’d like to work for and go to their careers page on their site and see what was out there. Some are more updated than others. And for the interviews I had an inside track on, the recruiters/managers always asked that I applied on the website. Hope that helps!

Re: If you don't mind me asking

Aug 6, 2018, 1:26 PM [ in reply to If you don't mind me asking ]

I teach at a technical and community college and I can provide two pieces of brief advice. First use Clemson’s career services. They have multiple contacts! Second look at institutions using your knowledge and skills.

Colleges and universities need accounting personnel. Every bank and mortgage company could use your skills. Broaden your search area to the Carolinas and not just Charlotte. Lastly network! Go to the Chamber of Commerce and other organizations with a large membership seeking new people.

Good luck!

Aug 6, 2018, 10:52 AM

Contact Robert Half International...

Aug 6, 2018, 12:50 PM

All about who you know in this world.

Volvo is building a huge plant in the Lowcountry.....

Aug 6, 2018, 12:54 PM

I would definitely check them out

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here ya go

Aug 6, 2018, 1:30 PM

https://www.indeed.com/

Aug 6, 2018, 1:39 PM

One thing that I always found to make finding a job easier was my willingness to RELOCATE. Let everyone know if you're only looking in Charlotte, or willing to move, and if so then what areas (southeast,etc).

During my career I worked all over the southeast, and even in Charlotte (which paid the worst btw).

Aug 6, 2018, 2:15 PM

Checkout AIG in Charlotte. I keep seeing messages on LinkedIn that they'd like recent CU grads to join their internal audit team. http://spr.ly/6000DqWRQ

Aug 6, 2018, 8:07 PM

Indeed is garbage. There are a lot of jobs on there that aren’t really open.

I would utilize LinkedIn. Look at companies you are really interested in working for. Try to find the recruiter or HR manager on LinkedIn and contact directly with your resume.

As others have said, it’s more about who you know and who you can get in front of.

Don’t settle. Look for a boss that can be a mentor versus a job or dollar signs. Don’t let desperation allow you to miss the right opportunity.

Aug 7, 2018, 12:10 AM

As someone else said, take a look at LinkedIn. It is a gold mine of info. Our sales people get a ton of leads from that site.

Also maybe start doing some temp work at financial firms in CLT. Yes you are over qualified to be an admin or receptionist, but it will get you out there meeting people, etc.

Aug 7, 2018, 7:41 AM

Are you working at all while looking? A reference from a current or previous employer may carry a bit more weight than a family friend. Dept stores usually need people for the 5-9 pm shift, which keeps your days open for interviewing, and the larger stores will soon start hiring extra help for the Christmas shopping season.

It sounds like you're keeping an open mind, which is good. There are opportunities to move up from sales or customer service positions. I work in local government (a job I first saw posted in a Clemson Career Services mailing). We have a fairly large mobile phone account and see how quickly our account reps move up through that company. Not sure if I can give the name here but it starts with V. This company has been hiring in Greenville for a customer service center. ("yeah, that Greenville" - 40 minutes from Clemson :))

I imagine you already know to send thank-you letters right after any interviews. It seems like just a formality, but my first boss said I was the only candidate from my interview board who did that. It puts your name back in front of the decision makers & lets them see your writing skills.

Stay positive and good luck!!

First, make sure that you

Aug 7, 2018, 8:34 AM

make your resume and cover letter match the job that you are applying for. Second, research the company and know what they are about. You should spend at least a couple hours for every resume that you send. If I get a resume that says, "Dear HR manager" or something similar, I pitch it immediately. If there is one misspelled work or a sentence that sounds funny, I pitch it immediately. I don't want to read a book. All I want to know is that you will fit in the company.

When you make the interview, its not so much about what you know, its more about how you may fit. Remember, it's not about you. The person hiring you wants you for only two possible reasons. One to make them money, and two to make their job easier. If you can convey to them that you can do those two things, the job is yours. Be positive and confident and make sure that they understand that you are willing to work there the rest of your life. If you tell me about all these things in life that you want to do, then I won't hire you so that you can go do all those things.

You can always try to start out in a Bank. Everyone becomes a vice president in a couple years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2018, 8:35 AM

It took me awhile to find work after graduation too, so I know how you feel. Clemson has some of the best career services in the country though, and they can be a big boost to finding openings and helping you develop your resume and interviewing skills. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Also a good option to look at are the leadership development programs that a lot of companies are employing now. They are a great way to experience different parts of a business and get your foot in the door with a great company. Good luck in your job search and Go Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 4,241
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic