Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should

Nov 20, 2019, 9:32 AM

breeze through bowl season unblemished ...

let's watch and see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should

Nov 20, 2019, 9:36 AM

Cant go by that. Some players dont even bother to play in the meaningless bowls and other players really dont care.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2019, 9:49 AM

I really have a problem with the "they don't care to play" argument. So, you are saying the SEC teams lose in bowl games because they don't care about meaningless bowl games? So why play them? Or maybe they should be considered rewards to a good season?

If you have a top TEAM, then the individual goes out to play for the TEAM!!! If you have a collection of individuals, not a TEAM, then this "don't care" attitude comes into play. So what you are saying is that the SEC does not have good TEAMS, just good individuals! I can go with that...but that means that the SEC does not have any good TEAMS, and all of the arguments about which conference has the best TEAMS are moot...The ACC has better TEAMS than the SEC, per this argument!

This then makes the argument about who has the best TEAMS based on the bowls a true argument...The SEC has one of the worst TEAM records in bowls because they do not care! Even SEC advocates prove this point with their "who cares about meaningless bowls" argument.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2019, 10:03 AM

Yeah I am saying that players sit out and prepare for the NFL and yes many of the players dont care. The bowls generally outside of the playoff are a novelty at that stage of the season. The bowls are flat and meaningless without even all of the best players. In the playoff everyone leaves it all on the field.

Nov 20, 2019, 10:08 AM

So you are admitting that the players in the SEC are not team players...thus they are not top TEAMS. If you care about your team, play as a team and are a good team, then you care about every game. If you decide to hold out against your TEAM, then you are not a team player, and by association, you are not a good team! You are also saying that the reason the SEC sends so many players to the pros is because they have good individuals on the roster, but that they care about the pros more than the team.

I can agree with your argument, but consider it a bad indication of what TEAM means in the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2019, 10:13 AM

Counselor, I think you proved your point. :)

Well then that's on the coaches for not recruiting and

Nov 20, 2019, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should ]

developing depth. If we were playing in a non-playoff bowl game against a decent opponent and Trevor, ETN, Tee and Isaiah all sat out, I'd still bet we win with their backups.

Last time we played in a regular bowl game against Oklahoma without DW4 we routed them. I don't fault players for sitting out a bowl game, I'd rather see them play, but I certainly understand. But that's not an excuse for losing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Well then that's on the coaches for not recruiting and

Nov 20, 2019, 10:20 AM

We recruit really well, but we would be a different team without our best players. It wouldnt be the same team. We see it with our 2nd stringers now. Those lesser are bowls are just about having fun and staying healthy anyway. They are meaningless for some programs and the sign of a season that didnt go as planned.

Nov 20, 2019, 10:28 AM

Your problem is that you are still calling the SEC TEAMS, when it is shown that they are not TEAMS, they are a collection of individuals who are selfish and don't care about the TEAM. Appalachian State was a TEAM last week, the coots were not. Appalachian State is a better TEAM than the coots. But we all know that the coots have better players than the hillbillies. That then carries over to the SEC as a whole...they have good individuals, but bad teams. I am glad that you are helping us to understand the difference between the SEC and the ACC....

Nov 20, 2019, 10:32 AM

Gibberish

Nov 20, 2019, 10:41 AM

Wow! You really set me straight on that one....your argument on the best teams being in the SEC is completely offset with your argument that the SEC does bad in bowls because they don't care.... Either you are a TEAM or you are a collection of good players. The coot game this past weekend showed what a TEAM was and what a collection of good players were (I use good players loosely with the coots, but there is no doubt that the recruits on the coots are rated higher than the recruits on the mountaineers). So, per your argument, the ACC has better teams than the SEC. This is your gibberish, not mine!

Message was edited by: JPRICH Top Paw®

Nov 20, 2019, 10:55 AM

I am saying that the bowls arent a good gauge anymore outside of the playoff. If those same games were played in the regular season they would.be a better gauge. Those bowls dont matter and many players dont play.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:20 AM

That is your opinion, and the opinion by all SEC advocates after the bowl season each year when the SEC does not do as well in the games. It is called an excuse. Excuses are only used for losers. The ACC had a better bowl record than the SEC last year, and many years in the recent past. That is why this excuse started. Does the SEC have some good programs? Yes. Does the SEC have some bad programs? Yes. Does the SEC pay more for their programs than other conferences? Yes. You get what you pay for. But, obviously, they are not getting good TEAM players!

But telling me that they lose games because they don't care is a cop out. If they don't care about the bowl games, then they don't care about the teams. Last year, Virginia was a better team than the coots...by a long shot. But the recruits on the coots were higher rated than those on the cavs. So Samuel and other coots did not care! Sad state of affairs. And the SEC has more players sitting out bowl season than other conferences. So SEC stands for Students nEver Care conference?

Nov 20, 2019, 11:22 AM

Its called reality. The other bowls generally are meaningless.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:33 AM

Regardless, I agree with you on one point...I am glad the tigers do not have this problem with not caring...

Go Tigers!!!

Nov 20, 2019, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Well then that's on the coaches for not recruiting and ]

Well if that's the case then your saying that Bama is the only team that wants to win bowl games. maybe this year it will be LSU and/or UGA. So what happens with both UGA and/or LSU lose during the playoffs first round? Will it mean that the SEC is trash because the only teams that wanted to play got beat?Also doesn't other teams stars sit out as well? so wouldn't that make them about even? Basically saying both teams come in with less than they had during the season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2019, 11:35 AM

Any team in the playoff will bring in everyone and go all out. Bama went all out when we destroyed them. Clemson was just a way better team. The playoff is like playing in March Madness. The rest of the bowls are like.the NIT or worse.

That’s a fair opinion. My opinion is “You are your record”.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should ]

If you lose a bowl game because your players didn’t care enough to show or prepare, then that is the caliber of your team. If you console yourself with “We would have whipped so-and-so if our players cared about the team” then your team lacks discipline or character and that’s no different than lacking skill.

Decline the bowl game if your team cares so little. Otherwise, they get what they get. UGA lost to Texas and SC got blanked by UVA. Whatever the excuse.

null

Re: That’s a fair opinion. My opinion is “You are your record”.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:11 AM

We dont relate to that problem because we play in the playoff every year.and so our players dont sit the bowl out. There will be a bunch of NFL prospects in meaningless bowls sitting the games out though. There will be bowls where the players are being more cautious about injury too.

No I agree it happens, and they’ll lose, and that is the measure of their team.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:13 AM

You give them a pass for that and I do not.

null

Re: No I agree it happens, and they’ll lose, and that is the measure of their team.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:29 AM

I dont give any of the teams a pass. Just pointing out what happens and that it is a poor gauge. It happens to a lot of teams and not just the SEC.. Its like Bryce Love and Stanford etc etc. The fans barely care about some of these bowls too.

I see your point.***

Nov 20, 2019, 11:48 AM

null

Re: That’s a fair opinion. My opinion is “You are your record”.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: That’s a fair opinion. My opinion is “You are your record”. ]

But that is the case for both teams. But the mighty SECheat gets a bye. I don't think so.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2019, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should ]

Very few actually do sit out. We just get bombarded in the media about the few who do. Even if that is the case, depth is part of the game. Next man up.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:14 AM

Yes, but the players that sit out are game changers. Many that do play arent motivated by a Belk Bowl either.

If you don't care about winning football games.. you

Nov 20, 2019, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should ]

Are Not a championship calibre team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: If you don't care about winning football games.. you

Nov 20, 2019, 10:26 AM

Well nobody is a championship caliber team that isnt in the playoff and is in a dud bowl with some of their best players not even playing in order to stay healthy for the draft. Thats what happens now a days. Thats why it so hard to gamble on the bowls now other than the playoff.

It's a game none the less. Most do NOT

Nov 20, 2019, 11:37 AM

Opt out of playing to get ready for the nfl.

This is not a common thing. Out of the 400rds of nfl draft, most players played in their last possible college game. A small % do not.

There is nothing new about these bowl games. Most have always been irrelevant to the national champion for many, many years.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: It's a game none the less. Most do NOT

Nov 20, 2019, 11:45 AM

Most dont opt out true. Some really good ones do though. Its kind of like how West Virginia didnt even have their QB. Remember when Will Grier sat out and decided not to play? Remember Bryce love at Stanford? He was by far their best player.. Michigan had 2 first rounders sit out. It shows how these players view those lesser bowls now.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should ]

I played 8 years of football in my life , and while I can't speak for anyone still playing I can remember how crushed I would be after a loss , whether it be in a championship game ( played in two , lost both ) or a final game of our season where we'd only won a single other game . I never felt like what we were doing didn't matter , and any coach worth their salt would never do anything but teach the opposite of that notion .
The entire purpose of playing a game , any game ... is to win . Losing stinks . So anyone in pursuit of the win is there to do so at whatever cost , and I just have never bought the " didn't wanna be there " mantra .
It's a cop out for fans . It's a lie . It's in no way a reality because if it were then why play ANY of the games after you're aware that you won't be playing for the top prize ?
That's disappointed fan-speak . Excuse makers say that junk .

DB23

Nov 20, 2019, 11:18 AM

Its just reality. Teams come in flat and arent as motivated for junk bowls. Its just the way it is. Its anticlimactic. Its hard to get that many people jacked up for a junk bowl. Maybe your best player decides he doesnt even want to play and will pass on the game. There is no electric vibe to the game. The fans are even that into it.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:25 AM

Well we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this minor subject ... however .... ;)

Go Tigers ! Agreed ?

DB23

Nov 20, 2019, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so "all-powerful", they should ]

But, you are saying it only applies to the SEC! If what you are saying is true, then both teams don't care about a meaningless bowl. Yet, only the SEC loses because it is a meaningless bowl?

Let's prove this wrong right now...last year, the coots realized they may not qualify for a meaningless bowl game with enough wins....that bowl game was so meaningless, they actually jumped through hoops to get a home game scheduled after the season was over to allow them to go to that meaningless bowl game!!!

Nov 20, 2019, 11:54 AM

It applies to a lot of teams and not limited to any particular conference. I am saying those weaker bowls arent a good gauge. They arent the same teams that play in the regular season.

Nov 20, 2019, 1:02 PM

And the teams that play the SEC in those meaningless games also are effected? Then, that equalizes your don't care hypothesis, and the games still count in the overall scheme of things...correct? Otherwise, when the SEC wins those games, there would be an asterisk by the wins in the record books!?!?

Best case scenario, SEC only has 9 bowl eligible teams***

Nov 20, 2019, 9:37 AM

Nov 20, 2019, 9:37 AM

Woulda, coulda shoulda, but didn't, couldn't and won't!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The last year the SEC had the best bowl record among P5

Nov 20, 2019, 10:31 AM

conferences was 2015.

But as you can see, the indoctrinated have their excuses ready to go even before the mighty SEC fails to demonstrate their so-called dominance of college football.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic