Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Marriage in a biblical sense, do you abide by the scriptures
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 590

Marriage in a biblical sense, do you abide by the scriptures

Jul 27, 2012, 8:04 AM

Marriage in a biblical sense, please read the following passages below. How many Christians actualy abide by these scriptures?

- Marriage consists of one man and one or more than one woman: Gen 4:19, 4:23, 26:34, 28:9, 29:26-30, 30:26, 31:17, 32:22, 36:2, 36:10, 37:2; Ex. 21:10; Judges 8:30; 1 Sam 1:2, 25:43, 27:3, 30:5, 30:18; 2 Sam 2:2, 3:2-5; 1 Chron. 3:1-3, 4:5, 8:8, 14:3; 2 Chron. 11:21, 13:21, 24:3

- Nothing prevents a man from taking on concubines, sexual slaves, or prostitutes, in addition to the wife or wives that he may already have or choose to have: Gen 25:6; Judges 8:31; 2 Sam 5:13; 1 Kings 11:3; 1 Chron. 3:9; 2 Chron. 11:21; Dan. 5:2-3

- A man may choose any woman he wants for his wife (Gen 6:2; Deut. 21:11), provided only that she is not already another man’s wife (Lev. 18:14-16; Deut. 22:30), or a relative (Lev. 18:11, 18:18, 20:14, 20:17). The concept of a woman giving her consent to being married is not in the Bible.

- If a woman cannot be proven to be a virgin at the time of marriage, she should be stoned to death: (Deut. 22:13-21)

- A rapist must marry his victim (Ex. 22:16; Deut. 22:28-29), unless she was already betrothed, in which case he should be put to death if he raped her in the country, but both of them killed if he raped her in the town (Deut. 22:23-27).

- If a man dies childless, his brother must marry the widow: Gen. 38:6-10; Deut. 25:5-10; Mark 12:19; Luke 20:28

- Women must marry the man of their father’s choosing: Gen. 24:4; Josh. 15:16-17; Judges 1:12-13, 12:9, 21:1; 1 Sam. 17:25, 18:19; 1 Kings 2:21; 1 Chron. 2:35; Jer. 29:6; Dan. 11:17

- Women are the property of their fathers until married and the property of their husbands thereafter: Ex. 20:17, 22:17; Deut. 22:24; Mat. 22:25

- The value of a woman might be approximately seven years’ work: Gen. 29:14-30

- Inter-faith marriages are prohibited. Gen. 24:3, 28:1, 28:6; Num. 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh. 10:30; 2 Cor. 6:14

- Divorce is forbidden: Deut. 22:19; Mat. 5:32, 19:9; Mark 10:9-12; Luke 16:18; Rom. 7:2; 1 Cor. 7:10-11, 7:39

- It is better to not get married at all – although marriage is not a sin: Mat. 19:10; 1 Cor. 7:1, 7:27-28, 7:32-34, 7:38

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

" Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think."

Just how I like to read my bible, without context***

Jul 27, 2012, 8:12 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish some she-bears would come out of the woods and

Jul 27, 2012, 8:15 AM

maul some of these posters!

;)

Context = reinterpret everything to mean what I want***

Jul 27, 2012, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Just how I like to read my bible, without context*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

you must have a hard time reading anything

Jul 27, 2012, 10:43 AM

Aren't you a lawyer? Most of what you do is based on theories of interpretation, and yet you seem to think that gets left at the door when it comes to religion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOFL! Yeah, that's what he said.***

Jul 28, 2012, 4:16 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Thank you****

Jul 28, 2012, 2:32 AM [ in reply to Context = reinterpret everything to mean what I want*** ]

If you do this, marriage takes care of itself.

Jul 27, 2012, 8:18 AM

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.[a] 28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

That is why the divorce rate among fundies is much

Jul 27, 2012, 10:09 AM

higher than those who profess no religion, or even the less fundy religions.

Red State = higher divorce rate.

that does not mean "the divorce rate is higher among...

Jul 27, 2012, 10:41 AM

the fundies." Instead, if you broke out the demographics by income and education, you'd see that the difference is between people who have graduated college and are middle to upper middle class, and people who have not graduated college and are below middle class status. A more interesting comparison would be between "fundies" who are of the same class.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demographics by income and education

Jul 27, 2012, 10:46 AM

If you went by demographics, income and education.... gays if allowed to be married would have the lowest divorce rate.

Higher % of Gays go to College
Gays do not depend on goverment checks to take care of their children

" Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think."

the trouble is that does not hold when it comes to gays

Jul 27, 2012, 10:50 AM

divorce is much higher among "gay marriages" everywhere that same-sex relationships have been recognized as marriage. Interestingly, it's much, much higher among lesbian couples than even gay male couples.

Yes

Jul 27, 2012, 8:26 AM

I married my wife after ###### her

but you both still got stoned.

Jul 27, 2012, 10:11 AM

amyrite?

There's loads of crazy stuff in the bible.

Jul 27, 2012, 9:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Yeah don't forget the bit about the

Jul 27, 2012, 9:25 AM

foreskins -
25 Saul replied, “Say to David, ‘The king wants no other price for the bride than a hundred Philistine foreskins, to take revenge on his enemies.’” Saul’s plan was to have David fall by the hands of the Philistines.
26 When the attendants told David these things, he was pleased to become the king’s son-in-law. So before the allotted time elapsed, 27 David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king’s son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.

And prepared a feast of calamari***

Jul 27, 2012, 9:28 AM

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL out loud***

Jul 27, 2012, 10:19 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I am replying a reply***

Jul 28, 2012, 3:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, that's worst than being scalped***

Jul 27, 2012, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Yeah don't forget the bit about the ]

God is natural, religion is man-made.***

Jul 27, 2012, 10:32 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prezactly!***

Jul 28, 2012, 4:18 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

I believe mumbo already dealt with posts like this

Jul 27, 2012, 10:39 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12522945

How much you want to be he hasn't read any of these.

Jul 27, 2012, 11:15 AM

I suspect this is a cut-and-paste from another source.

Isn't that what most........

Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 AM

Isn't that what most christians do? Copy and paste what scriptures best fit their needs?

It clearly states in the Bible not to judge others but so called christians are first at passing judgement on others.

Luke 6:37 Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned

Well, the writer of Hebrews tells us that Noah condemned

Jul 27, 2012, 11:38 AM

the world and it was a good thing

By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
(Hebrews 11:7 ESV)

Maybe some Christians do that.

Jul 27, 2012, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Isn't that what most........ ]

I would never take verses out of their context to fit any sort of opinion. My opinion doesn't matter.

That verse that you quoted is a classic example of a verse taken out of context. Probably done so more often than any other verse. Most non-believers use that verse to say that no one can ever tell them that anything they do is wrong.

Read the verse again. Jesus is saying if you don't want to be called out on something, don't call someone else out on something. He didn't say "never judge anyone". He said "don't judge, and you won't be judged".

Just a couple of verses later (when using the Matthew account of the same sermon) Jesus tells us exactly how to judge. "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

See, it's about making sure your life is right before you can begin to proclaim what God is saying to someone else.

If I understand you........

Jul 27, 2012, 12:26 PM

Christians should not call out others unless they are free of sin?

That will never happen, mainstream christians feel its their duty to try and clean everyone's elses yard up while theirs is stacked 10 foot high with garbage!

No...

Jul 27, 2012, 12:29 PM

If I try to encourage you not to drink based on the Word of God, I better not be hiding a six-pack in my fridge.

None of us will ever be free from sin. If Jesus told us we could never proclaim His Word unless we were free from sin, there would never have been any preachers or prophets other than Jesus Himself.

I heard a story told...

Jul 27, 2012, 12:40 PM

Of a man who gave his life to Christ as a middle-aged adult, already with three sons. His life was changed, but one thing he just wouldn't let go of were the cigarettes. (Eventually they killed him.)

One day, he caught one of his sons smoking, and got onto him about it. Just one retort of "you do it" was enough to make him stand down about it. To this day, that son smokes, and one day the cigarettes will likely kill him, too.

That's just an example of a Christian not having their own house in order before telling someone else to do something. There was nothing he could do about it, short of quitting smoking himself. This Christian man could have prolonged his own life, and that of his son, if he had let go of the cigarettes.

You can't point out an example of people that did something

Jul 27, 2012, 11:04 AM

And say that just because that person did it, means it's right.

Abraham had more than one wife. That doesn't mean it was right for him to have more than one wife.

Most of the others are Levitical Law. If you are a Jew who still wants to be bound by that Law, by all means, go for it. The rest of us will recognize the Law is the schoolmaster it is.

Question, isnt most of what

Jul 27, 2012, 11:29 AM

Isn't most of what christians use agains gays contained in the Levitical Law? So whats the difference?

It's also worth pointing out that, as a sin...

Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 AM

... it didn't make the top ten.

I almost never use verses from the Law to

Jul 27, 2012, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Question, isnt most of what ]

Make points. Some choose to do so, and it causes the confusion that you and so many others obviously hold about it.

And I would not use anything "against gays" or anyone else. Anything I would use would be "for gays", or anyone else, to help them understand what the Lord has to say about something.

In other words, it takes a lot of study and maturity

Jul 27, 2012, 11:47 AM

in God's Word for a Christian to really get a hold of the meaning and purpose of the Law. It's not something for ready consumption by non-believers or new Christians.

Lol.***

Jul 27, 2012, 11:51 AM

So do you agree or disagree that Christians

Jul 27, 2012, 11:51 AM [ in reply to In other words, it takes a lot of study and maturity ]

So do you agree or disagree that Christians interpret the Bible differently even if they are on the same maturity level?

Well, of course they do.

Jul 27, 2012, 11:57 AM

But the Bible is not for private interpretation. Which means just because someone else interprets something a different way, doesn't make that person right. Only God is right. Let God be true, and every man a liar. (Romans 3:4)

If so, why do the mainstream christians.......

Jul 27, 2012, 12:04 PM

"Which means just because someone else interprets something a different way, doesn't make that person right. Only God is right"

If "Only God is right" and it clearly states in the Bible that he loves all of his children, why do main stream christians feel their interpretation of the Bible the only correct answer to every question?

I don't understand your question...

Jul 27, 2012, 12:06 PM

Can you rephrase it?

The Bible is the only answer to any spiritual matters. Anything the Bible is silent on, we can have opinions on, but we shouldn't be dogmatic about.

I don't understand the first part of your question, and how it correlates: "If "Only God is right" and it clearly states in the Bible that he loves all of his children, "

Why do mainstream christians feel their interpretation

Jul 27, 2012, 12:10 PM

Why do mainstream christians feel their interpretation of the Bible the correct answer? Only God knows the true answers to every question.

I could put 5 preachers in a room, all with the same bible, ask them the same question concerning some scriptures and I will more than likely get 5 different answers.

It's something you have to believe by faith.

Jul 27, 2012, 12:15 PM

I believe the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God. There are some things that I read and get something different than someone else. Sometimes that even applies to people at my own church, and sometimes (shock!) my own Pastor. There are things in the Bible that can be read differently by different people, but aren't major enough to make a big deal over it, or break fellowship. But the major tenets of doctrine are so clear, that there should be no difference among true Christians about them.

I went off on a tangent there...let me come back after saying that. I read some things differently than others. Only one of us are right...or perhaps none of us are. We'll find out when we get to heaven and have the mind of God. But I have to believe by faith that what I am reading, and the way I feel the Spirit of God is leading me as I read it, is true. If I didn't feel sure of it, I would change my belief on it.

It's not Law, it's Torah which means instructions***

Jul 29, 2012, 4:51 AM [ in reply to In other words, it takes a lot of study and maturity ]

It's not Law, it's Torah which means instructions...

Jul 29, 2012, 4:50 AM [ in reply to I almost never use verses from the Law to ]

learn about Hebrew and Jewish culture, since after all Christianity is a Jewish religion.

It's not Law, it's Torah which translates into english as...

Jul 29, 2012, 4:48 AM [ in reply to You can't point out an example of people that did something ]

instructions. Oh, by the way there is not a verse in the Bible, Old or New Testament that states that polygamy is wrong. So polygamy is only wrong by current societal standards, not by anything stated in the Bible.

Nice job in showing your ignorance of the Bible and how Hebrew words translate into english. Learn about Hebrew and Jewish culture and then you will understand more about Christianity or Nazarene Judaism, than your pagan infused christianity.

My Bible calls it the Law, and so will I.

Jul 30, 2012, 7:26 AM

If God calls it that, it's good enough for me. Torah is good, too, but I prefer English.

God said that a man would cleave unto his wife, and they would become one flesh. How can someone become "one flesh" with more than one person? You can't.

Love the one about divorce is forbidden. And the

Jul 27, 2012, 10:51 PM

guy that destroyed our friendship yesteday has been divorced. And he had the nerve to get on here and use religion and claim he knew exactly how marriage was defined according to the Bible.

Wow, what does the Bible say about 2nd and 3rd marriages? And cathy proudly claimed he was on his FIRST marriage as if to put down anyone that is not. So this ex-friend is "goiong out of his way" to support Cathy and cathy thinks just as little of his lifestyle, but doesn't have the nerve to throw that many customers under the bus.

hint: its all BS.

Jul 28, 2012, 1:09 AM

unless you feel he need to be controlled.

nah, I ain't a jew.***

Jul 28, 2012, 2:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 590
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic