Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If what Mickey's blog says is true and he believes it,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,884

If what Mickey's blog says is true and he believes it,

Jun 13, 2012, 11:38 AM

it's a sad day IMO.

If true (we stay in ACC), we just threw away millions of dollars while SEC gets ready to renegotiate their deal and will see even more spending money - so the coots will just continue to outspend us, build better facilities, money for coaches. SEC schools already outspend us at least 20 mil a school and it's only going to grow as we sit in what will be the 5th best BCS conference and our best bowl game will be the Sun Bowl in TX because we will not be a factor in the playoffs. Our SOS will be pathetic playing in ACC. I guess we don't have to worry about fans traveling to the Sun Bowl since we already have an issue traveling that way if we were in Big 12. I love my Tigers and always will but I'm rather disappointed if this is the direction we take. ND is NOT coming to the ACC - there are reports NBC is already working on a new tv deal to pay them around 20-24 mil. Maybe we can land UConn and Rutgers. We might as well start throwing all our money towards b-ball program because that's the choice we are making.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh my.***

Jun 13, 2012, 11:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If what Mickey's blog says is true and he believes it,

Jun 13, 2012, 11:45 AM

The SEC is not outspending us 20M a school. The only reason the money was so different two years ago was because the SEC was the first to sign a major TV contract. Last season the SEC made 17M in TV money while the ACC made 13M. 4M is a big difference but not huge. I would expect that difference to remain the same with the SEC increasing their payout to 20-23M. Now the bowl money is a big problem but it is up to the ACC leadership to work out a deal for the ACC.

null

Jun 13, 2012, 12:51 PM

after 10 years that is 40M.....imagine how far ahead of us USuC will be with that much more money than us after 10 years

Agreed!***

Jun 13, 2012, 12:53 PM

Re: But but but...they're USuC..they cant win..cause they're

Jun 13, 2012, 3:25 PM

USuC...wake up people, its already happening

Jun 13, 2012, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: If what Mickey's blog says is true and he believes it, ]

If the SEC gets a 30% increase like the ACC, that will put them at $22 million, which increases their financial advantage from $4 million to $5 million annually. What if the SEC starts the whispered SEC Netwok and gets $30 million annually? Now the gap jumps up to $13 million annually. I don't know about you but, THAT would be HUGE and a major concern. Would that not worry you?

I agree with most of what you say. Things can change

Jun 13, 2012, 11:50 AM

even more and lots of people think they will. Our BOT has apparently decided to wait and see. No doubt that as things now stand, we're headed to a situation much like Ga. Tech's relative to Georgia or Vanderbilt's relative to Tenn. We may be like the guy that gets a new Mercedes every 2 years. At some point the Mercedes price increases exceed his income increases and he has to painfully decide to drop back to a Toyota. No one will ever officially acknowledge it of course because they'd obviously lose support/interest, etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how is it possible that we're so broke and still

Jun 13, 2012, 11:52 AM

spending, spending, spending on DV, a football practice facility, a basketball practice facility, improvements to riggs field, etc.?

Message was edited by: tigerinkvillenc®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

We have to look at it relative to the competition.

Jun 13, 2012, 11:55 AM

Even with all we're doing we're still playing catch-up according to the powers that be.

example?***

Jun 13, 2012, 11:57 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

South Carolina***

Jun 13, 2012, 12:10 PM

Mickey is right in that the geography issue isn't an issue

Jun 13, 2012, 12:04 PM

at all. The ACC goes from Miami to Boston. Big 12 would go from Clemson to Kansas. Not really a difference in mileage.

The biggest issue here is money.

The NCAA instituted rules so that every school was on relatively equal footing money wise, to recruit. They made these rules b/c they know the impact that money can have on recruiting. It's not debatable. More money, more spent on recruiing, better recruits, better teams.

Now that schools/conferences can negotiate on their own, there is no level playing field in recruiting.

Those that say this is just cyclical and it will come back around to the ACC and that we can recruit with the best in the country, THINK AGAIN! Those days are gone.

If you are in the camp that wants Clemson to stay in the ACC, then you simply aren't a fan of Clemson. You can't be. It's like saying you support the troops but you don't want them to have the best weapons to fight with.

It's really this simple.

Agreed! I want us to face the best competition and earn

Jun 13, 2012, 12:26 PM

our W's against good opponents. Not wins vs BC, WF, Duke, MD, NCSU....our best win in the conference is FSU each year....every now and then Va Tech. Ga Tech is so-so but not an elite program. Miami - well, after NCAA is done with them, they are years away from being where they once were. Oh, and let's not forget the powerhouse Syracuse & Pitt.

I'd much rather see us play OU, TX, TT, KSU, WV.....sure, we may struggle at first but so did SC in the SEC. I think it's better for us in the long run and gives us a more national exposure and playing on big stage vs being on Raycom week in and week out until we play FSU.

But SC is making tons of upgrades....hiring bigger name coaches....winning and arguably getting more national exposure than us.

Bottomline - do we want to play with the big boys or stay in the play pen with the preschoolers.

And who knows, BOT is meeting today and they may come out and ask ACC for Grant of Rights. If so, we're doomed.

Re: Mickey is right in that the geography issue isn't an issue

Jun 13, 2012, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Mickey is right in that the geography issue isn't an issue ]

If money is the be all and end all, then why isn't Texas
winning every national championship in every sport. They
are so much ahead of everyone else money wise it isn't even a contest.

Its not for a lack of talent, that's for sure. They have

Jun 13, 2012, 12:39 PM

the money to recruit the best and they do. And it wasn't too long ago that Texas was winning National Championships.

I believe they have won one alot more recent than us***

Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey is right in that the geography issue isn't an issue ]

Y'all seem to think that TV money

Jun 13, 2012, 3:13 PM

is the big difference. It does seem that the difference last year was around 4 mil. But athletic revenues show a 20 mil advantage for USC. It goes a lot further that TV money. The SEC has better bowls and better attendance along with other revenue advantages. There are schools that we seem to compete with pretty good in the SEC that have a far bigger revenue advantage over us than we do over Clemson. The problem is not always money.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,884
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic