Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables prepares for new-look Terrapins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables prepares for new-look Terrapins

Nov 6, 2012, 4:54 PM

Venables prepares for new-look Terrapins

Maryland will be starting former linebacker Shawn Petty at quarterback this week against Clemson, and Tiger defensive coordinator Brent Venables said the hart part of preparing for the Terrapins is not having a lot of film to study. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A bit off topic

Nov 6, 2012, 5:03 PM

But I'm glad this guy isn't my father-in-law... He's freaking intense. That being said, I think our D is showing improvement week over week. I don't foresee MD being the challenge they were last year

I love the man's sneer!!

Nov 6, 2012, 5:07 PM

I don't know if he'll go down as one of the great coaches at Clemson (which seems to be the question du jour), but his passion for the game is respectable.

I'm afraid many Clemson fans don't fully appreciate what Dabo is building. I do.

Re: I love the man's sneer!!

Nov 7, 2012, 12:39 PM

So do I!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone worried

Nov 6, 2012, 5:13 PM

That over the next two years we will have a great D but our O wont have the same pop ( chad being gone also) and we have the 2010 problems all over again great D but lack luster O but with our kids on campus now and in the fild I hope this wont be a problem. Go Tigers!

Re: Anyone worried

Nov 6, 2012, 5:19 PM

In a word...No. I watched Chad Kelly warm up Saturday versus Duke, and he is gonna be great. Hear great things about him, and the same thing can be said for Deshaun Watson, the 2014 commit. We are building depth along the offensive line, and lose only Dalton Freeman after this season. We red-shirted Germone Hopper this year, and Peake and Bryant are just beginning to scratch their potential. Add in recruits like Ryan Jenkins and Demarcus Robinson, and this offense is gonna be just fine.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2012, 5:53 PM

David: here's where we disagree.

I do think we have a lot of skill position players lined up. Dabo is flat out one, if not THE best recruiting HC in the country. However, where he falls short is in managing the numbers. we have ONE OL signed for next year. ONE! How are we building an OL when we decide to sign ONE OL?? You are drinking the kool-aid if you think that is the way to "build" an sustainable offense. So, are we going to sign 2, 4, 6 or 7 in 2014? I totally disagree with your premise that we are building an OL for the next 3-5 years. Dabo may sign five 5-star OL next year, at least I hope he does, but count me as one who would rather see us signing 3-5 OL every year.

You also miss the point about The Chad. Our recent success is made up of two critical pieces 1) recruiting & 2) The Chad. You think Napier would have carried us for two years?? Not a chance. The Chad is more important than people realize and when he gets his HC gig, we better have a ton of talent and a defense superior to what I've seen in a long time around here. And by the way, of the two key ingredients mentioned above, The Chad is 70% of the weighted average.

Let's win big and hope The Chad stays around a few more years. But I am more than concerned that when we lose The Chad, our W/L record will suffer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we end up bringing only one OL next year, where does that

Nov 6, 2012, 6:43 PM

leave us in total numbers? And once you have that number, how does it compare to other college programs? You'll find we're the same as everybody.

Our offensive coordinator is obviously an important piece of our success, just as he should be. At some point in the future he will more than likely take a head coaching gig. But if/when he does leave, there will be other quality offensive coordinators to bring in just Dabo did with Morris. And by then we will have the aforementioned depth to succeed regardless of what offense we run.

You say David is "drinking the kool aid", but by the same token you're drinking the sour milk.

Re: If we end up bringing only one OL next year, where does that

Nov 6, 2012, 8:13 PM

StanleyTiger: I realize that anything other than total rahrah on Tigernet is frown upon, but if you call sour milk being realistic, calling out deficiencies in our program, well, you are on the internet so I guess that is just fine.

Our "numbers" are not in line with QUALITY programs in terms of "skilled" OL. As I stated, I think Dabo is unparalleled in recruiting but he is not god himself. Maybe people need to get a reality check.

Funny thing is, I get snide remarks from people like you all the time for my "opinion" and yet, 2-3 days later, t-net runs an article from one of the COACHES who basically say the same thing I do. Hummm, maybe that's just a coincident.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be a little confused...

Nov 6, 2012, 10:14 PM

1. I can and do talk about both positives and negatives. In your first paragraph, you must have me confused with someone else. And who are you to accuse others of "drinking the koolaid" while you're "realistic". Who are you to judge that?

2. Our OL numbers are in line with most everyone, and you are not a person to be trying to critique players you know nothing about.

3. Please show your "realistic" posts being verified by coaches. Funny thing is, you say the coaches don't know what they're doing, then you use them to say you were right. Makes no sense.

Also, lose Dalton then gain 2 offensive linemen seems like..

Nov 6, 2012, 11:47 PM

Dabo is trending toward more linemen than there was this year by my math.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You may be a little confused...

Nov 7, 2012, 6:46 AM [ in reply to You may be a little confused... ]

#1 - i judge just like YOU do
#2 - what does that mean? so YOU know the players better than i do?
#3 - I did not say the coaches don't know what they are doing; i have issues with SOME of the things the coaches do. I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else about what i post; if you want to research it, knock yourself out.

You should probably give up...

Nov 7, 2012, 7:38 AM

1) You make no sense. You may want to go back and read it from the beginning.

2) We've signed quality lineman according to 'experts'. Several of them have seen playing time and have shown promise. That's more information than you have.

3) To say the coaches haven't signed enough OL to suit you is to say they don't know what they're doing. You've already proven a ton - mainly that you have no clue what you're talking about. First you were wrong in your quantity assessment, then you tried to fall back on quality but then you admitted you don't know.

And you forgot to address the part about showing your negative posts where the coaches agreed. You still working on that?

Nov 6, 2012, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone worried ]

Clemson is still in the mix for a few pretty good offensive linemen in this class, so it isn't over quite yet. Also, the Tigers are losing just Dalton Freeman from this class, and there are only a certain number of spots reserved for the offensive line. Do you want to have 20 OL on scholarship and let other units fall under the numbers? Clemson played 13 linemen the other night at Duke, and then there are the three redshirt players that haven't played a snap this season - Guillermo, DeStefano and Jones. Take away Dalton, and that is 15 players that could see time next season. Add in the one or two recruits..and the numbers are fairly full. Not sure how many more you want.

Nov 6, 2012, 6:56 PM

And yes, losing Chad is a concern, but I won't "worry" about that until he announces he is going elsewhere.

Nov 6, 2012, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone worried ]

David: here is what I want, since you asked:
a balanced, consistent strategy for recruiting and redshirting. is Dabo better than Bowden.... good lord yes, by a LONG shot. is he doing what i would like... not totally. I guess that's being unreasonable.

you can't just throw "20" out there and say that's too many. these guys are NOT interchangable so that the C can play OG and OT or any mixture. most have skills conducive to ONE position; doesn't mean they can't play other positions any more than a DE can play DT but it is not ideal in terms of NUMBERS.

you don't want me to get into the often idiotic redshirting that we do (or don't do); that just infuriates me even more than the lack of a comprehensive recruiting strategy.

as for Chad, Gene Chizik says hey.

Cut to the chase...

Nov 6, 2012, 10:18 PM

You have no clue what you're talking about, certainly not more than the coaches who you oddly claim back your assertions.

Our OL is fine. we have numbers and we have quality.

I hope he stays for the rest of his career, but we will be fine with or without Chad because of what we are building.

Swing and a miss. You're trying too hard.

Re: Cut to the chase...

Nov 7, 2012, 6:48 AM

OK - you got me!! you are 100% right and i am totally wrong. Man, i wish i was as smart as you.

with your evalaution abilities, you must be a very happy man today.

Well at least you can admit you were wrong. That's good,

Nov 7, 2012, 7:42 AM

but I didn't "evaluate" anything other than errors in your post.

Our OL numbers are fine, and all indications are that the quality is fine. If we sign 1 or more OL, then we are fine.

Re: Re: Anyone worried

Nov 6, 2012, 6:02 PM

Thanks for your insight and I agree just hope we can continue to recruit well in as many positions as we can and develop a few good ones along the way aswell.

Re: Re: Anyone worried

Nov 6, 2012, 7:05 PM

If we were able to sign crowder and or droogsama (spelling way off) that would he all we need in 2013 I agree.

Or = good. And = great.***

Nov 6, 2012, 10:19 PM

The "Hart" part... Crump

Nov 6, 2012, 10:32 PM

I'd break your bank as a proofreader...

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

If The D Gives Up More Than 17 Points I Would Be Shocked

Nov 6, 2012, 10:59 PM

Not Having Tape on a Linebacker Turned QB is Like Not Having A Blackjack Hit/Stand Card When Getting Dealt an Ace and Ten.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maryland intramural champion to start at QB***

Nov 7, 2012, 12:59 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic