Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If we don't promote Jeff Scott to OC, then
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

If we don't promote Jeff Scott to OC, then

Nov 30, 2014, 1:04 PM

We will loose him to someone else. He is the heart of our recruiting. Losing Scott will hurt more than losing Morris in the long run. Maybe they can make Scott a Co-OC with someone else, but a promotion is a must and well deserved.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we don't promote Jeff Scott to OC, then

Nov 30, 2014, 1:05 PM

Jeff Scott is going no where. Dabo knows this.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2014, 1:09 PM

Scott is a clemson Tiger, he will get his shot. But it will be tough to find a QB coach that is not an OC. We will have to see how it plays out.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2014, 1:10 PM

Along these lines I'd suggest we give BV a huge raise. We need to keep him and if he is happy here I'd move heaven and earth to make him content as me after a couple martinis. Then I'd be sure Scott got a big raise. As for the OC position, make concern is what if he did not do as well as needed. I's sure hate to have him leave Clemson as I view him as a heads up guy and great for this Clemson program and school.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2014, 1:11 PM

I guarantee he will be making over 1 million next season.

Nov 30, 2014, 1:11 PM

Having Co-Oc is like having two quarterbacks. Didn't work out to well for us at the beginning of the year. If you think Scott is the man then make him the man!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would hate to loose him

Nov 30, 2014, 1:13 PM

loosing sux

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I loosed for Thanksgiving Supper. That was a good loosing.***

Nov 30, 2014, 1:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Nov 30, 2014, 1:19 PM

> We will loose him to someone else. He is the heart of
> our recruiting. Losing Scott will hurt more than
> losing Morris in the long run. Maybe they can make
> Scott a Co-OC with someone else, but a promotion is a
> must and well deserved.

Bunk.

There's a bunch of reasons I wouldn't promote Scott. He's done a fine job with recruiting, yes. We also crashed and burned the last time Dabo promoted some unproven kid in Napier - without a resume, you literally do not know what you are getting.

And, sorry, maybe it's not right to hold somebody's dad against him, but when Rich Rodriguez left in 2000, Tommy Bowden made the mistake of promoting Brad Scott to OC, and he was nothing short of a disaster. Despite the fact that we returned just about everybody in 2001, our O instantly lost the razor edge it had had under Rodriguez, the playcalling got stale and clunky, and accountability dropped across the board. Rich Rod was a Type A taskmaster who demanded - and got - a high level of execution; Brad Scott was just not that kind of offensive mind or leader. Say what you want about Chad Morris, he's a lot closer to Rich Rod in terms of personality than any other coach we've had. I'd need a lot more proof that Jeff is a more demanding, forceful type of personality who's capable of imposing his will on the O, and demanding, and getting, accountability before I'd be comfortable promoting him. Especially with old set-in-their-ways vets like Robbie Caldwell still on staff.

If we promote Jeff Scott, it's a bad risk - and one we shouldn't, and don't need to, make. For the kind of money we can offer an OC, there's a dozen quality, proven OC's out there who would be much lower-risk.

Weak hires are what kill thriving programs. This smells like the exact same kind of mistake Tommy Bowden constantly made.

You lose your edge in this game, you sink like a stone.

Promoting Jeff Scott is potentially a program killer. Why on Earth would we risk it?

Nov 30, 2014, 1:21 PM

as I recall, Napier was a budgetary issue, and certainly a mistake. But the purse strings were not open yet and Swinney went after an "experienced and Proven DC" instead, which also turned out to be a mistake.

i am with you though, I rather have a salty experienced QB coach come in and take over, but also consider Scott spent the last 4 years in the booth on the headsets with morris, is roughly the same age as when morris took over, and has considerably more experience at this level. If Dabo thinks he is ready, then I would trust him on it.

Nov 30, 2014, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: If we don't promote Jeff Scott to OC, then ]

Huh? What you talkin about Willis?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's the second lowest paid assistant on our staff...

Nov 30, 2014, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: If we don't promote Jeff Scott to OC, then ]

And the backbone of recruiting. You can't do much without talent first. I can see if he goes, our talent may go as well. If that starts happening, even the most brilliant mind at OC will have trouble maintaining the success of this Clemson offense.

If Scott isn't going to be OC, we need to do what is necessary to keep him on staff...otherwise, he may hit the trail with Morris. The loss of Scott will may have a bigger impact than you're giving credit to the issue.

That was Mike O'Cain's offense that started out the season.

Nov 30, 2014, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: If we don't promote Jeff Scott to OC, then ]

Brad was the one calling the plays towards the end of the season. Schooling the entire Tennessee coaching staff in the Peach Bowl.

Then we got Spence.

Napier got Dabo the HC job and was rewarded but his pro style was not what Dabo wanted to run. Napier was pretty good at game planning, but struggled a bit with making adjustments past that. Not sure how he would do in adjustments if the offense was 100% what he (Napier) wanted to do?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Napier wasn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

Nov 30, 2014, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: If we don't promote Jeff Scott to OC, then ]

He fell victim to injuries and subpar talent at certain positions. Much like Morris has this year. So if you are critical of Napier, despite his challenges, hope you are consistent and are critical of the job Morris has done this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Napier wasn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

Nov 30, 2014, 3:24 PM

Napier's playbook was different-colored paper, with five different fonts. It looked like it had been put together by a high school student. I know. I saw it. It was wince-worthy.

It looked even worse on the field.

Napier just plain wasn't ready to be an OC.

Personally I'd like to see us go to the Air Raid. I know Lincoln Riley from ECU is under consideration and I really hope we go in that direction. Our current offense was built around a running QB - think, Cam Newton, or Nick Marshall, or Tajh Boyd...which Deshaun Watson is not. Deshaun Watson is an elite passer who also happens to be able to run, but he is not a physical moose like those guys are who can run 15-20 times a game and take the pounding. He's too lightly-built and you can see his kamikaze style is going to get him hurt, often and repeatedly.

I'd like to see a system designed around his passing and ability to go through a progression and only occasionally makes use of his running ability.

The biggest issue I would have with Jeff Scott is his lack of experience coaching QB's. OC's are almost always the QB coach as well. Scott was a receiver at Clemson, and his experience there has certainly translated well to our WR's - we've got quite a crew, sent a flock of those guys to the NFL, and they've progressed well and do things like block well, high-point the ball, and run good routes - but if there's been a weak point under our current system it's that our QB's have maybe not developed the way they should have and could have. Despite his massive stats, Tajh Boyd was largely panned by NFL scouts for his lack of ability to go through a progression and his lack of accuracy and poor mechanics. Cole Stoudt's mechanics and ability to go through a progression are...bad, to put it mildly, and there was so little confidence in Schuessler he barely even got a look despite the fact that Stoudt had managed to throw as many passes to Georgia Tech as he did to Clemson receivers.

They weren't repped well enough, or developed well enough, as pure passers. It really bit us this year, and even with Tajh Boyd there were times when the deep ball was covered and the other team was athletic enough to hold his running in check, and he couldn't reliably hit the intermediate-route stuff...and the O would hit a brick wall.

The thing I really like about the Air Raid is the premium it places on repetition and more repetition in practice, and its focus on quick decision-making. Air Raid QB's keep the ball in the air during practice about 2-3 times more than in other systems. What you see, even with the shortest, least-athletic Air Raid QB (like, say, Clint Trickett at WVU, or any of those Texas Tech guys, back to old Kliff Kingsbury himself), is a bunch of guys who keep their feet alive in the pocket, keep their heads on a swivel, who go through their progressions bam-bam-bam, and get the ball out in a hurry. Wed that to an athlete like Watson, who can hit the deep ball and can also take off when the play breaks down, and you'll break scoreboards.

The Air Raid system develops multiple QB's who can do the fundamentals well. Our current system is too reliant on one QB being an elite athlete, and it exposes that QB too much to injury.

Just my opinion.

Jeff is this you?

Nov 30, 2014, 1:23 PM

talk to Dabo about more money

I think Jeff will get the job.

Nov 30, 2014, 1:24 PM

Dabo got the HC job in similar fashion (I know the circumstances were not exact)..and Dabo is loyal to his staff.

We already have a Co-DC in Marion Hobby.

Nov 30, 2014, 1:39 PM

Why couldn't we make Scott a Co-OC and hire another OC? Of course, in many ways it would be a meaningless title for Scott. It would come with a nice pay raise though.

Re: We already have a Co-DC in Marion Hobby.

Nov 30, 2014, 2:10 PM

Simply said I trust Dabo to make the right decision. He has proven many times that he doesn't mind cutting a coach loose if it helps the team.

Nov 30, 2014, 2:32 PM

and give the boy a big raise....He deserves it....Go Tigers!!!

Re: If we don't promote Jeff Scott to OC, the

Nov 30, 2014, 3:52 PM

Jeff Scott isn't going anywhere! He is a Clemson Alum, his dad is in the football administration, He was born in Florida (RECRUITING) and his wife Sarah is from Batesburg Leesville. I know money talks!!! NO way he goes with chad to SMU for crying out loud.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic