Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If we are headed for 4 conferences with 16 teams, doesn't
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

If we are headed for 4 conferences with 16 teams, doesn't

Nov 27, 2012, 9:11 PM

this mean the Big East is done and it comes down to the ACC v. Big 12?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems there will always be 5 major conferences

Nov 27, 2012, 9:40 PM

SEC,PAC12,B1G,BIG12,ACC from what it looks like.

The big east is all but done. By losing VT,Miami,BC,Rutgers,Pitt,Syracuse, and now possible Conn,Cincy,Louisville and ND for basketball they are now close to complete distinction from major conferences.

When the ACC is done it will have lost Maryland but gained Syracuse,Pitt,Cincy,Louisville,Conn which ultimately strengthens the conference by simple addition/subtraction.

Does the ACC have the top 16 in any conference? By no means, however, with that 16 the conference will stay intact especially with Notre Dame being a part time member for now.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It seems there will always be 5 major conferences

Nov 27, 2012, 10:12 PM

the big 12 has 10 teams and is probably looking to expand, it would seem to me that eastern teams to add to WVU would lead to them targeting some ACC teams.
the SEC is at 14 and would probably consider going after NC st and Va Tech to get to 16 and add new TV markets?
4 conf with 16 teams (8 teams in each division) would produce 4 conference champions for the future 4 team playoff?

I don't know why people say this.............

Nov 27, 2012, 10:53 PM [ in reply to It seems there will always be 5 major conferences ]

"Does the ACC have the top 16 in any conference? By no means, however, with that 16 the conference will stay intact especially with Notre Dame being a part time member for now."

Notre Dame is not a part-time member of the ACC. They are a member in all sports except Football. They will agree to play 5 ACC teams in football (They've been doing at least 3 a year anyway).

I know Notre Dame will not add the football team to the ACC. Money dictates this, I'm sorry.

Re: If we are headed for 4 conferences with 16 teams, doesn't

Nov 27, 2012, 10:54 PM

From a geographic standpoint, it makes sense for the XII to be absorbed. It would allow the Pac 12 an opportunity to expand eastward with quality schools. If the ACC was cherry picked, some schools (WFU, Duke) may be left out of the mix in football (fine by me). But if the XII survives, what does the Pac 12 do to get to 16? BYU is the only halfway attractive candidate in my opinion. Interesting to ponder.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic