Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SU versus Nebraska in 1984
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,225

SU versus Nebraska in 1984

Sep 29, 2013, 8:52 PM

These SU fans like to talk about beating Nebraska in the Carrier Dome in 1984. In that game they were a 21 point dog. The previous year they played in Lincoln and Nebraska won 69 to 7 and could have gone over 80 except Osborne took the starters out early in the 3rd quarter. So they come to the dome with this big, powerful team and SU beats them Only problem is that Nebraska could not throw the ball at all. Tom Osborne thought that a pass was what you got in high school--a hallway pass. He and they had absolutely no passing game whatsoever.
HMMMM. tell me how does that COMPARE, IN ANY WAY, TO THIS TIGER TEAM? ANSWER, NO WAY! We will beat them physically until they quit and they will quit!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If their team is relying on history repeating itself from

Sep 29, 2013, 9:13 PM

nearly 30 years ago then they are gonna be in for a long day.

Re: If their team is relying on history repeating itself from

Sep 29, 2013, 9:17 PM

You sir are exactly correct and that is, at least, what they're fans are saying. Plus we're overrated. Tigers will dominate and as they say: IT IS NOW PAYBACK TIME!!!!!

Cuse is much like NC State in that regard, beating higher

Sep 30, 2013, 3:44 PM

ranked teams at home. I think it could be a dangerous game if we don't bring our A game.

Re: Cuse is much like NC State in that regard, beating higher

Sep 30, 2013, 4:31 PM

I just hope that we do not PLAY DOWN to their level like we do so much to NCSU!! we have played down to them for YEARS!!
even with Danny we never played like we should against them

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1984??? Try twice in the last two years....

Sep 30, 2013, 3:10 PM

From ESPN today:

"Not only that, Syracuse has pulled a few upsets in the Dome over the last few seasons, completely shutting down the likes of Geno Smith and Teddy Bridgewater, widely regarded as among the best quarterbacks in the country when they played the Orange. Last year, Louisville came in unbeaten and ranked No. 9 in the nation. Syracuse won 45-26. In 2011, Syracuse beat No. 15 West Virginia just as badly, 49-23.

The architect behind those two defensive efforts was coordinator Scott Shafer, who is now the Syracuse head coach. Do you know how much pride he takes in those two victories? During his introductory news conference last January, he specifically mentioned the way the Orange proved their doubters wrong in those two games:

"West Virginia came in here a year ago,” he said then. “They were talking. We locked them in the dome and beat the hell out of them. Louisville this year when we played the unstoppable team and (we) didn't have a chance in hell to play against that team and our kids got after it and the crowd was rumbling in that Dome."

Re: 1984??? Try twice in the last two years....

Sep 30, 2013, 3:58 PM

I'm happy you won those games but get this straight my friend: This is a totally different team. Period. Inexperienced at some key positions, new coach, new system, a leaky secondary, a QB with virtually no experience etc.etc.--so if you think that crowd will win the game maybe you need to go see a doctor or get off the apparent drugs you're taking.
If you keep it within 3 TD's it will be a moral victory. You, like many in that area, simply don't understand speed and the HUNH offense. If you can afford to go to the game you'll get to see some speed but it won't be wearing the blue they've adopted!

Re: 1984??? Try twice in the last two years....

Sep 30, 2013, 4:00 PM

hahaha. I'm starting to enjoy you bro. Good stuff.

Um no.

Sep 30, 2013, 3:39 PM

Nebraska was a Run n Shoot offense from 1968 to 1972... guess who was the QB, WR, TE coach and offensive playcaller? Tom Osborne.

When he took over for Bob Devaney he believed that a more mobile QB and a dominant running game would allow them to win more games at home during the months of October and November, which are historically very wet and windy months for the state of Nebraska.

Osborne was a QB in HS and college and a WR in the NFL, he loved to pass the ball.

But uh, y'know, don't let facts cloud your argument.

Re: Um no.

Sep 30, 2013, 3:52 PM

Please don't insult yourself. Under Osborne They simply did not throw the ball to any major degree. I was at that game and was astonished at how incompetent their offense was and what a lousy coach he was. Sure he won a lot of games but at that time he was playing maybe 2 games a year-- OU and one other. You must have spent too many days in the cornfields!

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,225
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic