Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A group of pastors and religious leaders
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 416

A group of pastors and religious leaders

May 18, 2020, 10:26 AM

were granted a stay of Governor Cooper's executive order in North Carolina limiting indoor attendance of worship services to 10 people. The hearing will be on May 29th.

For the record, this is exactly the correct route for these pastors to have taken. Instead of flouting a spirit of rebellion against God-ordained government authority, they used legal means of challenging an order they felt wasn't right. And, for now, they have prevailed. Good on them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, meant to post a news link.

May 18, 2020, 10:27 AM

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article242788161.html

When you say “for the record” before stating your

May 18, 2020, 10:47 AM

Opinion, are you formalizing the transition from Prod’s opinion into accepted societal norms and laws, or are you saying that “for the record my opinion that I’ve stated before is still my opinion?”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The latter.

May 18, 2020, 10:54 AM

Except not as dumb-sounding, lol.

I meant, in case anyone wondered what I thought about this news item, here it is.

Darn....92% of the time you’re a pretty sensible guy...

May 18, 2020, 10:57 AM

I hoped that this was a new, more efficient path to establishing case law.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, for the record (sorry Obed)

May 18, 2020, 11:02 AM

Whether or not I agree with the pastors that the order is unconstitutional is another topic. And I'm not sure which direction I'd go. I'm looking forward to hearing about the arguments in the hearing.

The Pope had less than 10 for Easter mass.***

May 18, 2020, 11:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had less than 10 in every service since March

May 18, 2020, 11:06 AM

despite having not been so ordered by our governor (South Carolina).

"God-ordained government authority"

May 18, 2020, 11:26 AM

I thought the spirit of America is that governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That may be the "spirit of America"

May 18, 2020, 11:30 AM

But the Bible says that the powers that be are ordained of God.

Does that pertain to, say, the Assad regime in Syria?***

May 18, 2020, 11:35 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.***

May 18, 2020, 11:42 AM

I will not argue the point but I want to point out that...

May 18, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to "God-ordained government authority" ]

our (Christian) example of dealing with government was never one of resistance. Christ said 'Render unto...' Paul 'appealed to Caesar.'

No record of the first church exist which indicated any form of political activism. So "What are Christians doing here," you ask.

Since our government is exactly as you describe perhaps it's our responsibility to God to participate in politics by voting and voicing our position. Perhaps I'm just blowing smoke up your shorts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the pastors lose on May 29, it will be interesting to

May 18, 2020, 11:57 AM

see if they then start flouting a spirit of rebellion against God-ordained government authority.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope not. But I also think

May 18, 2020, 12:10 PM

the government will probably have a hard time justifying the different standards in allowed capacity, without arguing that these religious services are "less essential". That would be a hard argument to make.

Agreed. I would think it would be close to whatever the

May 18, 2020, 12:21 PM

limit is for restaurants.

At my church, the inability to attend in person is soul-crushing to many people. We could easily allow these people to attend and maintain social distancing (as long as others who are content to watch from home continue doing so).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which is what we did for the first time in 2 months

May 18, 2020, 12:25 PM

yesterday. Of course, in South Carolina, we have no mandate of any kind for church services.

Christians enjoy a level of "freedom" in this country that

May 18, 2020, 12:23 PM

all of us do not share.

I would think "winning" in this case is not the best outcome for them as it will result in fewer of them enjoying their "freedom."

Be careful what you wish for.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the crux of their argument is that they felt

May 18, 2020, 12:27 PM

their freedom of gathering was limited more severely than other types of gatherings.

At least in this case, I don't see how Christians are enjoying "more freedom".

And, like I said, I am not saying I am in favor of them having large gatherings. What I am in favor of is being responsible and respectful in their disagreement with an order.

Hey! You 12 people in church there!!

May 18, 2020, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Christians enjoy a level of "freedom" in this country that ]

This is the police. Get your ##### over to Walmart with everybody else or you're under arrest!

What "more freedom" did you have in mind?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand the principle...

May 18, 2020, 12:41 PM

They obviously have looser restrictions for things they deem as being essential for the well-being of the people, like buying groceries. But, I would not want to be in a courtroom arguing that worship services are less essential. At least not if I wanted to be re-elected. It'd be a tough sell.

I think it is deeper than that.

May 18, 2020, 2:40 PM

There is no principle, imo, that empowers our government to decide which otherwise legal activities they will allow and which not. I understand why some people say, "Its for the common good." Except it does not accomplish a common good, and the Framers knew it.

Lets assume for a moment that there is a hypothetical scenario which would be so overwhelming for the common good that our government could impose a temporary "can't leave your house order", suspending the First Amendment right of assembly. Who decides what rises to that level? Someone has to decide. The way we have done it, any governor - heck, any mayor - has that authority. If they can say a virus is "common good" enough to suspend the First Amendment, there is hardly any limit on what an individual gov or mayor will use to exercise autocratic authority.

We can argue whether a virus no more deadly than corona rises to that level. I am 110% no. You might be yes. But no one other than individual autocrats are deciding. So, yes, this needs to be challenged, and challenged with the best lawyers and money available, at every level and instance. The last civilian line of defense we have is the courts, and we should use them in this case, imo, much more than we have.

Classic liberals - not as currently politically defined - should be thanking Christians for doing this. But they don't. That tells you something right there.

Message was edited by: CUintulsa®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But none of the First Amendment rights are absolute.

May 18, 2020, 3:47 PM

In your example, freedom of assembly...that right is infringed in lots of ways already. For example, lots of times you need a permit to assemble the way you want to. This is in the interest of public safety. And yes, local officials have latitude to decide, unless it is challenged.

The practice of child sacrifice would be an example of a religious exercise that we don't have the freedom to practice. And I doubt anyone disagrees with it.

So, I don't buy that any limits whatsoever are unconstitutional. That's obviously not true. There's a line; it's not black and white. The place on that line where it's "too much" is pretty much the function of the court system. So the challenging is good...we completely agree there. That's how you prevent the autocratic stuff.

Replies: 22
| visibility 416
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic