Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here's something that scares me more than climate change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Here's something that scares me more than climate change

Jan 21, 2020, 2:41 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/21/health/wuhan-coronavirus-first-us-case-cdc-bn/index.html

I will say it again and again. This may not be too bad, but some day some crap like this will come out of nowhere and kill more people than all the wars, natural disasters, and climate change ever did, combined. Times 10.

Mother nature will take of us LONG before we ever even come close to taking care of her.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wuhan clan ain't nuttin to #### wit***

Jan 21, 2020, 2:50 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wuhan clan ain't nuttin to #### wit***

Jan 21, 2020, 2:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What scares me most is that the US hasn't shut the...

Jan 21, 2020, 2:59 PM

door to China since the onset of this virus. The CDC acts as if China's ruling class gives a chit about how many chinese or americans die.

So yeah, I'm with Tiggity but when it happens it won't be mother nature.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What scares me most is that the US hasn't shut the...

Jan 21, 2020, 4:51 PM

*engineered virus*

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The bird flu left me jaded. I'm going to need evidence of

Jan 21, 2020, 3:18 PM

50k+ bodies before I start getting concerned about a pandemic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bingo....mad cow, avian flu, swine flu, zika........

Jan 21, 2020, 4:15 PM

bunch of sky is falling over-hyped fear-mongering BS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One day something bad will come.

Jan 21, 2020, 4:41 PM

And we won't be able to stop it. It's just too common. It's how nature almost always deals with overpopulation. Heck, it may just be that bacteria becomes so resistant to antibiotics that in 50 years common illnesses will be fatal. She's always one step ahead of us. It's also why flu shots only work marginally. They put two viruses in the shots to protect against and some other flu always comes and becomes dominant because the others are in the vaccine.

And the odds of a flu pandemic are pretty high these days. Swine flu ###### near put me in the hospital in 2009. Sickest I've ever been. Ended up with pneumonia AND the flu (same time).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It might

Jan 21, 2020, 4:55 PM

or another alternative is that our immune systems and medical technology will continue evolving with the viruses/bacteria such that outbreaks continue with limited infection rates before being contained. Who knows.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah, viral stuff like this tends to have too fast a

Jan 21, 2020, 3:56 PM

burn rate to cause massive problems...unless somebody weaponizes it. Then we're fooked.

Death rate appears to be on par with the Spanish flu

Jan 22, 2020, 8:33 AM

1 in 50-ish.

Biggest thing now is to learn the r0.

Only problem is we can't vaccinate against a coronavirus like influenza because there is none yet. Wouldn't matter because the time to make a vaccine and manufacture it would be too long anyway if it spreads as easily, or easier than SARS. Spanish flu had a r0 of 1.8. SARS was 4. Measles is 18, and one of the most contagious viruses on Earth.

The spread of this virus seems to be greater than SARS, meaning the r0 will probably be higher. Doesn't help it started in China where they hide problems until they can't.

Oh, and r0 is the rate at which an infected person infects other people with the illness. For every one infected person with the 1918 Spanish flu, they infected 1.8 other people on average. The average person with measles infects 18 other people.

If one was going to make real huge problems it'd be airborne

Jan 22, 2020, 1:41 PM

At least I would think that'd be the worst case.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

So Corona has a virus? No wonder it suxx.***

Jan 21, 2020, 4:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: Here's something that scares me more than climate change

Jan 22, 2020, 7:19 PM

Pandemic protocols activated.

Let the zombie apocalypse begin.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic