Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Battle for No. 2 QB heats up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Battle for No. 2 QB heats up

Aug 16, 2012, 10:31 AM

Battle for No. 2 QB heats up

Sophomore Cole Stoudt, redshirt freshman Morgan Roberts and true freshman Chad Kelly have been battling since for the spot at backup quarterback behind starter Tajh Boyd. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Battle for No. 2 QB heats up

Aug 16, 2012, 11:11 AM

Would be best if we could sneak a redshirt into Kelly's first year but I would be ok with him getting playing time during blowouts and learning and staying involved with the day to day activities.

Would be so much better if we had 3 years of Kelly instead of just two but with our offensive line we might need a good backup.

WHAT does- better if we had 3 years of Kelly instead of just

Aug 16, 2012, 11:26 AM

so you are assuming he is a backup the next 2 years and starts 2 years?

that is a BIG assumption.

I think - whoever is BEST should be #2 - let the chips fall where they may.

null

He's assuming Tajh stays his senior season... not likely.

Aug 16, 2012, 11:43 AM

IMO

Re: He's assuming Tajh stays his senior season... not likely.

Aug 16, 2012, 11:54 AM

Are you thinking Tajh leaves early for the draft? I don't really see that happening. I feel pretty sure Tajh will be playing as a senior for Clemson. He has a long ways to go to get to be an NFL caliber QB..

And we're a long way from 2013... I'll reserve assumptions

Aug 16, 2012, 12:00 PM

till after the season.

Aug 16, 2012, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: He's assuming Tajh stays his senior season... not likely. ]

agree with that. he has a lot to prove from a decision making stand point. i certainly think he has it in him, he just needs to prove it.

Aug 16, 2012, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: He's assuming Tajh stays his senior season... not likely. ]

I couldn't agree more. I to believe that Tajh will be a Tiger as a senior.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. and I hope he does leave

Aug 16, 2012, 11:54 AM [ in reply to He's assuming Tajh stays his senior season... not likely. ]

I like tajh, but i think kelly will be better. I really really do, and I can't wait to see him on the field.

i'm hoping kelly is the starter next year, and for the next year or 2 (depending on if we redshirt him or not. 3 years could be great)

Re: I agree. and I hope he does leave

Aug 16, 2012, 12:00 PM

I agree, I think Kelly will be better as well. This offense is made for Kelly. Not so much for Tajh. Kelly is a much much better runner than Boyd, and I think hais arm might be better as well. Only time will tell.

exactly***

Aug 16, 2012, 12:11 PM

Aug 16, 2012, 12:22 PM [ in reply to I agree. and I hope he does leave ]

I agree 110% .

Aug 16, 2012, 12:44 PM [ in reply to I agree. and I hope he does leave ]

From I have seen of Kelly, I like the way he scrambles and continues to look downfield. He seems to not be imtimidated by a pass rush. In my opinion, he is a lot better than Boyd as it relates to avoiding the rush and making plays. Time will tell. It is a tough decision on whether to redshirt him or not.

Aug 16, 2012, 11:22 PM [ in reply to I agree. and I hope he does leave ]

Tajh played a huge part in getting us to a BCS bowl game in his first year starting...he threw for 33TD against 12 int, im pretty sure 33TD passes is by far the best in clemson history for a single season...he also threw for close to 4000 yds which if it isnt the record for a single season at cu, it has to be top 2 or 3 in clemson history...he also ran for 250yds and had 5 rushing TDs...Tajh had the best season for a passing QB in clemson history, and his season has to be considered top 5 or 10 for a QB in Clemson history...and it was only his first year starting. I never thought boyd or any other QB we had would step up the way Boyd did. Boyd is a proven winner, and imo will just keep getting better, and may even approach ridiculousness if he keeps pushing the envelope:P
Kelly may be a stud, but srslly, fans who already want to replace this guy with someone who hasnt done squat at clemson seems idiotic! These type of fan just seem like ingrates to me.

Dont get me wrong, you gotta have healthy competition, and i hope kelly and the rest of the backups compete with the mindset that they can and/or will be starting one day...but to make such statements as hoping boyd leaves is disrespectful to any starting QB, especially one in Boyd who has worked hard, put in his time, and been extremely successful thus far.
heres to the team having a great year as they strive to be champions, and have a blast doing so!

I agree with you.

Aug 17, 2012, 7:56 PM

Too often i have seen fans fall in love with the #2 QB.

NFL has little regard for 6'1" QBs; regardless of stats...

Aug 16, 2012, 12:49 PM [ in reply to He's assuming Tajh stays his senior season... not likely. ]

The NFL draft is a meat market where a guy's "measurables" are often much more important than his on-field body of work. Boyd just doesn't fit the body-type mold that the NFL is looking for. Even with a Heisman-type season it's unlikely he'd be drafted even in the second round. He might leave early, but I can't believe it'll be because he expects to be a first round pick.

-Moon

Re: NFL has little regard for 6'1" QBs; regardless of stats...

Aug 16, 2012, 1:04 PM

Second round is pretty darned high.

I agree he doesn't have the stature. But he's got the arm and overall size/thickness to be a backup...drafted in the 4th-6th round.

Sure about that???

Aug 16, 2012, 1:28 PM [ in reply to NFL has little regard for 6'1" QBs; regardless of stats... ]

Drew brees and Mike Vick - 6'0"
Romo, McNabb, Fitzpatrick, Rogers (GB). Sanchez, Andy Dalton - 6'2"
Tebow, Yates, Matt Moore 6'3"

Boyd is taller than two VERY successful QB's, and an inch shy of pretty much a quarter of the league. That inch keeps him from a successful career in the league?

Come on man....

In last 6 years, ZERO sub-6'2" junior QBs have been drafted

Aug 17, 2012, 12:22 PM

There are a few rare sub-6'2" QBs that make it in the NFL, but (right or wrong) the NFL rarely DRAFTS them.

Over the last 6 years and 74 QBs drafted, only 4 QBs under 6’2" were drafted to play QB, and NONE of them were juniors. (Though 2 more senior QBs were drafted to play WR because they were too "short".) Those 4 QBs had outstanding careers:
* 6'1" Colt McCoy, the all-time-winningest college QB (3rd round).
* 6’ Heisman winner, Troy Smith (5th round).
* 6'1" Tyrod Taylor (6th round) who offers a lot of situational utility.
* 5’11” Russell Wilson (5th round), who offers a lot of situational utility.

I could see Boyd going as a late-round pick after his SENIOR season, if he has a great career.

QBs often shrink an inch when the NFL measures them so in a few years we'll find out if Boyd is really 6'1".

Where's he going to go?******

Aug 17, 2012, 10:43 AM [ in reply to He's assuming Tajh stays his senior season... not likely. ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's fair for everyone.

Aug 16, 2012, 7:55 PM [ in reply to WHAT does- better if we had 3 years of Kelly instead of just ]

Anything less and it's not fair to anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With DeShaun Watson coming in next year

Aug 18, 2012, 10:04 AM [ in reply to WHAT does- better if we had 3 years of Kelly instead of just ]

the QB battle will really SHAKE up in 2013.

Did Dabo just say Morgan Roberts has a big arm?

Aug 16, 2012, 11:15 AM

If so he was lying. Anybody who saw the Orange and White game saw how little range Roberts has and how little zip his passes have on them.

Re: Did Dabo just say Morgan Roberts has a big arm?

Aug 16, 2012, 11:22 AM

Playing baseball, sometimes your arm feels a little more live from day to day. I'm assuming QB's experience the same thing. It could have been a little tender on that particular day.

Aug 16, 2012, 11:39 AM

It's possible, but his velocity looked pretty darn bad that day

Aug 16, 2012, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Did Dabo just say Morgan Roberts has a big arm? ]

"If so he was lying. Anybody who saw the Orange and White game saw how little range Roberts has and how little zip his passes have on them. "

The problem is: If you based everything on the Spring Game, then Boyd would ride the pines IMO. You okay with that?

Aug 16, 2012, 4:00 PM

Performance is one thing, ability is another. Roberts didn't look like he was able to put zip on the ball if he wanted to.

Not sure Pent...

Aug 16, 2012, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Did Dabo just say Morgan Roberts has a big arm? ]

I watched the Spring Game just like 20k or more so CU fans, and most if not all, should agree that Morgan Roberts was the most impressive out of all the QB's. That included running the ball...and passing the ball.
Might want to "rewatch". Sorry, but I will agree to disagree. I would also assume Dabo has seen the guy pass a few more balls than both of us...so I would also venture to say that Dabo is not "lying"...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WNCTiger11

Clap, clap, clap***

Aug 16, 2012, 11:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally....

Aug 18, 2012, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Did Dabo just say Morgan Roberts has a big arm? ]

I thought he threw the ball very well at the Spring game. At times, even looked like the best QB.

IMO

What metrics

Aug 16, 2012, 1:19 PM

will go into this decision? if SWAG is a factor then Kelly probably feels pretty good about his standings right now. lol.

If its a rap battle Kelly wins easily***

Aug 16, 2012, 1:21 PM

Kelly wins ??

Aug 16, 2012, 6:02 PM

think stoud and roberts have a little to say about that. don't think they are going to just lie down and say here's your position. he may not end up at #2 yet.

^^^^^^clearly didn't get it******

Aug 16, 2012, 7:34 PM

WHAT?

Aug 16, 2012, 8:03 PM

You guys are on crack if you think Kelly is a better qb than TB. Why, because he was rated the same out of high school? Because he creates greater attention to himself on social networks? Why? No evidence, just gut feeling from a bunch of armchair coaches. I love how we haven't even played a down on the 2012 season and tnet prognosticators are already predicting next season and without evidence the best qb on the team. Season hasn't started and you are calling for the backup qb. As far as Roberts, you assume he didn't put in any work in on the off season from 5 months ago. Oh wait, I forgot y'all go to practice everyday, sorry.

Boyd was higher ranked

Aug 17, 2012, 9:30 PM

both 4 stars but Boyd was still higher

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's happened to Tony McNeal?***

Aug 16, 2012, 8:43 PM

Re: What's happened to Tony McNeal?***

Aug 17, 2012, 12:24 PM

if Peyton,Eli, and Andrew Luck stayed in school, Tajh does too

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Out for season with injury. Cannot remember the details.

Aug 17, 2012, 9:28 PM [ in reply to What's happened to Tony McNeal?*** ]

Getting old!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO, if Kelly beats Stoudt out

Aug 17, 2012, 8:39 PM

the Cole isn't the QB I thought he was.

hmm,long does he hang around?

I pray T. Boyd stays but Chad Kelly is the real deal.

Aug 17, 2012, 9:25 PM

If you have seen this kid compete and he comes to camp with no spring ball in a new offense and is in the running for 2nd string with the QB's that we have bells should be ringing telling you that Dabo or Chad Morris would put Chad on the redshirt list right away unless they both thought he was special. Second string on this team takes a very good QB with the offense Chad is running. If T. Boyd came in to compete with just two weeks to prove himself with this offense would he fair any better. T. Boyd is incredible and nobody wants him to go down but if he does Chad Kelly having a chance to replace him tells you he is talented. We are blessed with the best set of QB's we have ever had top to bottom. I like them all(backups) but I do think if Chad Kelly continues like he has started he will be special when his time comes.(I hope that isn't anytime soon) T. Boyd is an awesome QB and I hope he is healthy and continues as our starter. I'm excited to know if something happens to him we have really good backups. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic