Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I still think the vehement opposition to mail-in voting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

I still think the vehement opposition to mail-in voting

May 28, 2020, 11:37 AM

Is weird.

Why isn't anyone who thinks there is potential for fraud, talking about fixing whatever issues may allow for fraud? Is it not even worth considering?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

May 28, 2020, 11:40 AM

There's got to be a pretty simple fix to this. Uber right wing conservative coworker pops up once every few months with, "much wow, look at this proof of voter fraud" and its like 8 ballots (this USPS driver is my example). Theres long lists of research that has found voter fraud is so rare, meaning there is hardly any chance that it would impact election results.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Right. And is there no concern about

May 28, 2020, 11:44 AM

the millions of mail-in ballots that come in every year already? Have those ballots swung any elections due to major fraud? I don't remember ever hearing about that as an issue.

The NC congressional election in 2018

May 28, 2020, 8:24 PM

They had to hold another election because of (Republican) absentee ballot fraud. That's the only one I know of.

yeah...but team first mentality...

May 28, 2020, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Agreed ]

means you are pro-mail in if it helps your team and anti-mail in if it hurts. It's the American way now days.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think it would help one "side" more than another.***

May 28, 2020, 11:45 AM

The thinking is that it allows more people to vote

May 28, 2020, 3:03 PM

and more people voting tends to help Democrats, or at least, that's how the Republicans and others feel. I have no idea if it helps Democrats or not, but based on the strength of the belief by Republicans, I'm going to assume there's some truth to it.

Exactly

May 28, 2020, 12:08 PM [ in reply to yeah...but team first mentality... ]

He believes it will help Biden, so he is against it. But voter ID on the other hand...

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Contrast that to their reaction to 100,000 dead

May 28, 2020, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Agreed ]

and growing.

It's a wonder their heads don't explode.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm for mailing ballots to everyone

May 28, 2020, 12:14 PM

And also requiring voter ID to vote in person, and also for IDs being free and easily obtainable.

Me too.

May 28, 2020, 12:37 PM

Voter ID is a solution in search of a problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

meh, i'll just fill out my wifes for her

May 28, 2020, 11:43 AM

she never votes anyway.

--- said thousands of married folks around the country

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems like a way could be devised to prevent that

May 28, 2020, 11:44 AM

if there already isn't.

not sure how, but ok

May 28, 2020, 11:47 AM

and my wife never votes so I could easily fill hers out, if I wanted to commit voter fraud.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know either, but if we can send a man to the

May 28, 2020, 11:48 AM

moon (and 50 years ago!), then it seems like someone would be smart enough to figure it out.

good luck with that...and ballot harvesting, etc.

May 28, 2020, 11:48 AM [ in reply to It seems like a way could be devised to prevent that ]

####, just go read Nancy's new bailout bill. She spells it all out on page 1800. She lays out the whole scheme.

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

The signatures would have to match, for one thing.

May 28, 2020, 11:49 AM [ in reply to It seems like a way could be devised to prevent that ]

That's true when I vote in person or when I vote by mail.

The only way you can make an argument against mail-in voting is if you have no idea how it works. That way you can introduce all kinds of extraneous hypothetical scenarios to poke holes in a system that doesn't actually exist.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought I read there was a signature thing.

May 28, 2020, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info.

Lutz, no one is checking signatures

May 28, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to The signatures would have to match, for one thing. ]

Against other ones. my signature is different every time

If it won't work because no one is checking signatures, then

May 28, 2020, 12:01 PM

I have a radical solution: Make people check the signatures.

Your signature is different every time you sign something? Uh, what the ####. Ok though, let's pretend for a second that that's a very common issue. #1. That will be an issue for people who vote by mail and for people who vote in person. #2. Signatures in general literally have zero value and we've been wrong this whole time.

This argument is so preposterous I'm suddenly realizing I actually became dumber for having replied to it.

I scribble my sig

May 28, 2020, 12:06 PM

You probably couldn't even make out anything in my sig.

If the signature is inconsistent or unintelligible, that

May 28, 2020, 12:17 PM

wouldn't lead to voter fraud...it'd lead to votes being turned in and not counted. Right? So it's almost the opposite of voter fraud.

My signature is a simple scribble that is definitely not the

May 28, 2020, 12:12 PM [ in reply to If it won't work because no one is checking signatures, then ]

same each time. It's embarrassingly bad sometimes I should be a doctor. I have reprinted a full-size mylar drawing once before because my signature was so bad when I was signing a set.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

...then it's not a signature...

May 28, 2020, 12:14 PM

It's just scribbling. By definition, a signature is your personal, consistent way of writing your name.

And if you can't make a consistent signature

May 28, 2020, 12:15 PM

then mail-in balloting is not for that person, I suppose.

If you aggregate them it's consistent scribble.***

May 28, 2020, 12:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Are you trying to suppress my vote?

May 28, 2020, 2:11 PM [ in reply to And if you can't make a consistent signature ]

I too have a terrible signature that isn’t consistent. I shouldn’t be allowed to mail in because of this?

I feel discriminated against for having poor handwriting.

No, I didn't say you shouldn't be allowed to vote

May 29, 2020, 5:20 AM

that way. I'm saying you should probably CHOOSE not to vote that way, or risk your vote not being counted.

Chicken scratch or not, if I made the effort

May 29, 2020, 5:38 AM

My vote should be counted

Who determines if a vote is eligible based on signature style? A standard poll worker? Could they be biased and toss out “illegible” signatures?

I don't really know the mechanism of verification

May 29, 2020, 12:26 PM

But, obviously you have to trust the people counting the votes to do it correctly and with integrity. No different from how you have to trust the people counting in-person votes, manufacturing machines, tabulating results, etc. Else why have any elections?

Also, it's not like having a terrible signature

May 29, 2020, 5:21 AM [ in reply to Are you trying to suppress my vote? ]

is something beyond one's control. You could have a consistent signature if you wanted to. And if it's important to someone to have their mail-in vote counted, they'd probably try harder.

Yes because nobody can forge a signature

May 28, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to The signatures would have to match, for one thing. ]

Right, so signatures are meaningless.

May 28, 2020, 1:16 PM

Why do I still have to sign checks? Why does anyone sign contracts? Signatures can be forged and are completely worthless as a tool for determining someone's identity.

Please walk me through the simple logistics of forging a signature well enough that it will trick people whose job it is to verify signatures. For instance, in order for me to forge your signature, I'd need an example of your signature and I would also need your ballot and I would also need the motive to commit election fraud. So walk me through a real life example of how that would not only work but be super easy.

And just to be clear, the signature is ONE way to prevent voter fraud. It's not the ONLY way.

And how is it different from in-person voting?

May 28, 2020, 1:48 PM

The only thing I do there is sign a piece of paper.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

The issue has partisan implications.

May 28, 2020, 11:46 AM

The theory is that Democrats do better when there is greater access to voting. It's not necessarily true (see recent election in California that allowed mail-in ballots), but that's the common wisdom.

Accordingly, people who really want Republicans to win are incentivized to argue against mail-in ballots.

This cuts both ways: If we ever end up finding actual problems caused by mail-in ballots, then there will be an equal incentive to for supporters of Democratic candidates to downplay those problems.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Even if it's true that more people voting means

May 28, 2020, 11:48 AM

more Democrats win, shouldn't the focus of Republicans be on convincing more people to vote for them, not preventing more people from voting?

Of course no one wants to prevent people from voting.

May 28, 2020, 11:58 AM

But couldn't the ends justify the means?

Let's say the Republican wants to implement important policies, let's say a policy that prevents abortions. Let's say his opponent is vehemently pro-choice. And let's say preventing some people from voting would greatly help his chances of winning.

Naturally we'll also try to convince more people to vote for the Republican, but why not increase the chances even more? Especially if it saved lives.

It comes down to what you value more.

- Jonathan Swift

Sorry, that didn't make sense. Edited.***

May 28, 2020, 12:30 PM

- Jonathan Swift

Not so much preventing people from voting...

May 28, 2020, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Of course no one wants to prevent people from voting. ]

Preventing *more* people from voting. Like, being against something that would lead to more peope voting. I know, at least I hope I know, no one actually wants to stop people who want to vote, from voting.

Might come as a shock to you, Prod, but not everyone

May 28, 2020, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Even if it's true that more people voting means ]

in this world is as honest as you. Voter suppression has been a big gainer in the Republican playbook for a long time. And their gerrymandering expert was pretty good at what he did, too.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/05/785672201/deceased-gop-strategists-daughter-makes-files-public-that-republicans-wanted-sea

Demographic changes are unfavorable for Republicans.

May 28, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to The issue has partisan implications. ]

Rather than trying to appeal to more people (like the 2012 "autopsy" recommended) they're going all in on their base, which means they need to restrict voting in order to retain power. As David Frum said, "If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. The will reject democracy."

I tend to think the opposite is true, they've sold out their

May 28, 2020, 12:13 PM

base in an attempt to woo people who will never vote for them in the first place. How many small government conservatives are actually in offices of importance? What is even the Republican platform? I honestly don't know anymore.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Hofeller files spell it all out.

May 28, 2020, 12:34 PM

This is just one example, but it's so stark and irrefutable that it lays bare the Republicans' ambition to subvert democracy. They also push for purging of voter rolls and push for voter ID. Anything that will disenfranchise people who are unlikely to vote for them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/us/census-citizenship-question-hofeller.html

As far as Republicans being for small government and fiscal restraint, I've always thought that was a joke. It's about as authentic as their concerns about voter fraud.

Is that so much worse than the Russian collision hoax?

May 28, 2020, 12:43 PM

Let's be honest with ourselves, neither party is more virtuous than the other.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That has nothing to do with what we're taling about.

May 28, 2020, 12:55 PM

This isn't about which party is more virtuous. It seems like any time someone exposes something objectively bad about Republicans or the Republican party the only response is "Yeah but what about Democrats?" or "Well all politicians are bad." It's so ironic to see this tactic employed over and over again from the "personal responsibility" party.

That's because of the tiresome double standard

May 28, 2020, 1:05 PM

I'll get outraged about it when everyone is held to the same standard. It's hard to get the motivation to get my pitch fork out for Republicans in the midst of a 4 year long Russian collusion hoax.

What is the double standard?

May 28, 2020, 1:20 PM

And why do you keep bringing up Russia when people are talking about voting? You might as well start arguing about the Kennedy assassination. "I'm not getting my pitchfork until we figure out who was on the grassy knoll. That's my contribution to a discussion about how and where we vote"

The double standard is micro analyzing Republicans

May 28, 2020, 1:37 PM

Attempt to” undermine our democracy “while giving a wholesale pass to Democrats for trying to do the same thing with the Russian collusion hoax. Really, isn’t that the same type of disinformation Trump/Russia were accused of in the first place? The type of thing that supposedly stole the election?

I’m not excusing Republican misdeeds, but I don’t want to hear about them from people who turn a blind eye to everything Democrats do.

You're complaining about people turning a blind eye to

May 28, 2020, 1:51 PM

their own party's misdeeds while simultaneously defending why you're turning a blind eye to your own party's misdeeds. "It's hard to get the motivation to get my pitch fork out for Republicans in the midst of a 4 year long Russian collusion hoax." For a person who can't stand hypocrisy, that's pretty egregious. And it's another example of how the whole "personal responsibility" thing is a crock. It's really "I'll take responsibility for myself when you take responsibility for yourself," which is the only way to justify objectively bad behavior.

I'm not turning a blind eye to it, I acknowledge it

May 28, 2020, 2:04 PM

But I have to lmao at people outraged over it while at the same time whistling through the graveyard during Russian collusion. They clearly aren't serious.

Your posts paint Republicans as the sole conspirators to undermine democracy, if the goal is to avoid that, why focus only on Republican's gerrymandering or desire for voter ID? Back in 2017 or so, I got the idea that Russian misinformation was much more detrimental to our democracy than either of those things. So if we're going to clutch our pearls about gerrymandering/voter ID, let's not forget the now known democrat misinformation campaign for the past 4 years.

Re: I still think the vehement opposition to mail-in voting

May 28, 2020, 12:18 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/us/politics/as-more-vote-by-mail-faulty-ballots-could-impact-elections.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/heed-jimmy-carter-on-the-danger-of-mail-in-voting-11586557667

https://www.minnpost.com/community-voices/2020/04/just-say-no-to-voting-by-mail/

One of my biggest concerns is say 10,000 votes in Florida are thrown out for whatever reason but the election is won/lost by fewer than that? Lawsuits?

Thank you...

May 28, 2020, 12:22 PM

Still don't see why the response is "Just say no," as opposed to "let's fix this".

Maybe the side that is against it needs to figure out

May 28, 2020, 12:43 PM

how to work it in their favor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a really great message

May 28, 2020, 8:26 PM

to all of the senior citizens who vote absentee. That Trump, besides spitting all over anybody he talks to, is so smart.

Because those opposed to it aren't worried about fraud...

May 29, 2020, 8:12 AM

What they're actually worried about is increased turn out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: I still think the vehement opposition to mail-in voting

May 29, 2020, 10:19 AM

I read that 25 counties in South Carolina have more registered voters than actual citizens of voting age.

I want fair election without cheating by anyone.

May 29, 2020, 12:41 PM

It's perfectly honest to say most voter fraud happens with mail in ballots and that mail in ballots are most vulnerable to fraud.

As we reopen our businesses which serve the public we are seeing safety become first priority and learning many ways to protect the public and businesses' employees from the virus. Opening the polling places for longer hours, more days or even weeks would provide safety to those wishing to vote.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic