Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Update on ACC Network
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Update on ACC Network

Jan 14, 2013, 7:59 PM

1. Wasserman Media has been used by the ACC several times for different projects and evaluations; as stated, this organization was helpful in the ACC negotiations last year with ESPN...
2. Wasserman Media is CONSULTING AND PROVIDING GUIDANCE...will not execute the network...which will be driven by ESPN--dont leave ESPN out of your thoughts
3. ESPN will be a major driver of the network....and there is significant renogotiation taking place concerning the association of Notre Dame as well as 'Cuse-Pitt and Louisville....minus Maryland....has been indicated that the $$$ increase discussed previously may be low....This renegotiation also is covering the network possibility as well as other items (up date in next few weeks)
4. ESPN wants and needs the content of the ACC --and this extends to basketball as well as all LAX, baseball, Golf and other Olympic Sports which the ACC is strongest conference and now with Notre Dame...has ability to draw significant advertising dollars
5. The ACC network has two possible means of executing..similar to BGN and a more geographical friendly network that would have significant input from ACC and advertising dollars purchased throughout the network system, as well as localized advertising and airing games of interest to a more specific geographical market.....
Interestingly, Duke University has taken much of the lead in the network....and is one of a few ACC universities to help determine its logistics and scope.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the sounds of this.***

Jan 14, 2013, 8:01 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Update on ACC Network

Jan 14, 2013, 8:06 PM

Your trolling me hard tonight, but ill bite. Why in the world do you go back to a consulting group that helped you secure the worst of the big 5 in terms of deals

LOL, this post was not about you.

Jan 14, 2013, 8:22 PM

I only knew you were wrong in the other thread because I follow this stuff VERY closely. I really didn't want to argue with you, but I tried to provide you with some good, factual information. Believe me, I'm beyond that thread.

Now to answer your question...this is not my information. It comes from a Syracuse Lawyer who has proven to be connected to some people in the know. He has told me several things about the ACC before they happened. The guy gets good information. Unlike the Dude, and all of his other names, this guy doesn't make bold predictions. Instead he just provides details to some things that have, or will soon be released.

The information about the Wasserman Media group is common knowledge as it was reported in the Sports Business Journal article about the ACC Network. And just like you, I was not all that pleased to find out these are the ones advising the ACC after the absurd TV contract the ACC signed.

I was just sharing some information I believe to be accurate. That is all.

Re: LOL, this post was not about you.

Jan 14, 2013, 8:41 PM

Bashful....you were right on in everything I read and it pains me that people here can't see the trees for the forest. The problem with this whole thing is.....the ACC has only a few football teams can develop a regional package. That being Clemson, Florida St. and North Carolina to a lesser degree. Miami plays in front of 300 fans for Christ sake. They already (ESPN) have the rights to those 3 and can show them on THEIR network anytime.

The only gain for ESPN will be a basketball package. That is what they (ACC) is going to have to sell. They got (ESPN) more than they need for football with only three teams to draw from as far as national interest is concerned. We went north so a guy in North Carolina is not going to watch a Boston College/Syracuse football game over any SEC game. Same in Georgia, South Carolina, Florida and to a lesser degree Virginia. The Northeast does not support college football and ESPN, Fox and the others know that. We went after the wrong teams to expand and now we have little to offer in the way of competition with the SEC or Big 10. IMHO....

Exactly right.

Jan 14, 2013, 8:49 PM

I believe the ACC Network will work because of basketball, not football. TV rights are primarily football driven, but a conference network is different. It relies on subscribers and content. People in Fla, Ga, SC, and Va will sign up because of football. People in NC and the North East states will pay to watch their beloved basketball.

I also believe a profitable ACC Network is important to the long term health of the ACC.

Football and bastketball means more tv for a longer

Jan 14, 2013, 8:51 PM

period of time. Having a strong basketball tv contract is a very good thing.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Exactly right.

Jan 14, 2013, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Exactly right. ]

Maybe so but basketball is not as popular as football even there. They have the pro teams in a saturated market already. I can't see it being a money maker and it may even cost the conference in the long run. If it's speculation and not a sure thing, it's a hard sell. If it works great....if it fails it's the nail in the coffin. I speak in truths so I would expect the backlash to begin but your friend would agree with me hook line and sinker !

Ratings are not as high

Jan 14, 2013, 9:00 PM

but there are more games more content and the ACC has the best basketball product to sell.

Cost the conference, how?? Would definitely be strange

Jan 14, 2013, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Exactly right. ]

to payout money instead of receiving it since the network gets ad dollars also.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2013, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: LOL, this post was not about you. ]

not only that but the SEC network launches in 2014 (via ESPN) and in what states do you believe that ACC teams will be carried over SEC teams if the ACC makes another exclusive deal with ESPN . GA,FLA,SC,Kentucky and the Baltimore area will be taken either by SEC or BigX network and the television providers are seriously balking after the Longhorn Network has proven to be such a hard sell . I wonder what the providers will think when asked to carry two or three college networks for additional charges to the customer?

Jan 14, 2013, 9:11 PM

That is exactly why you give somebody else the opportunity to run with this. News Corp announced last year they were starting a new 24/7 sports channel. News Corp owns all Fox properties, and they need solid programming options (and they are willing to pay

Jan 14, 2013, 9:49 PM

only two states will have the ability to move the needle and thats NC and VA . if you dont see this for what it is then you wont ever see it . this is closing the barn door after the horse got out . the tier 3 rights and digital network are the only hope for the ACC to catch up because none of the providers will add the ACC for an additional rate hike whether its a new network or not has no bearing on this the providers and demand is what counts. 2014 the SEC network comes via ESPN so all of the SEC states will be out for additional revenue via extra packages. this is more evidence that the ACC is in deep trouble and the vultures are circling .

Jan 14, 2013, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: LOL, this post was not about you. ]

Nope. ESPN doesn't have to be a part of this at all. We can buy back our third tier rights like other conferences have.

FSU, VT, CU, UL, Miami, GT, NC St, UNC,....all have great football programs. Basketball speaks for itself. What your doing is giving us an excuse as to why we don't have the ACC network. Look at the B1G. Programs like Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana JUST SCREAM football teams who can develop a regional package.

I don't buy it. This conference isn't complete ****. Doesn't matter what I say though. If they don't make it happen, and get the money comparable this conference will be DEAD within 2 years

Jan 14, 2013, 9:11 PM

Repeating something over and over does not make it true.

If you can provide any documentation of other conferences buying back third tier rights to start a conference network with a different partner I will shut up.

The only two conferences to start TV Networks so far have been the Big 10 and the PAC. I have already produced the article for the Big 10 that clearly shows they did not buy back content. That should narrow your search.

Jan 14, 2013, 9:18 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/09/21/sec-network-will-prove-the-conferences-dominance-off-the-field-too/

"The Pac-12 recently agreed to buy back its member schools’ third-tier rights to form the Pac-12 Network, a buyout that is costing the conference $100 million over the next eight years, or a little more than $1 million per school annually."

Will you shut up now?

Not a chance.

Jan 14, 2013, 9:52 PM

The PAC did not buy their third teir rights from ESPN to create a Network with Fox. They bought the INDIVIDUAL schools tier 3 rights from regional partners and signed a TV deal with Fox/ESPN. HUGE difference. ESPN already owns the ACC tier 3 rights.

Here is an article that might help you understand it better.

College TV rights deals undergo makeovers
May, 10, 2012
5/10/12
12:56
PM ET
By Kristi Dosh | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND17TWEET9COMMENTS15EMAILPRINT
The Atlantic Coast Conference’s television contract extension with ESPN, announced Wednesday, is the first of three major conference deals expected to be finalized in the next few months.

The ACC contract was extended after the addition of new members Syracuse University and the University of Pittsburgh last September. The shifting of schools as part of conference realignment also led to changes in the Big 12 and Southeastern Conference that has those existing deals in play, too.

RIGHTS AND TIERS -- AN EXPLANATION
First-tier rights are for football and/or basketball games broadcast nationally.

Second-tier rights are for football and/or basketball games not selected by the first-tier rights holder.

Third-tier rights are any games not selected by the first- or second-tier rights holders and rights for all sports other than football and basketball. These rights are often sold on a per-school basis (not negotiated by the conference as a whole) and often go to regional networks (Comcast Sports Southeast, Raycom, or SportsNet New York, for example). They can also be reserved for networks like the Big Ten Network and the Texas Longhorn Network.

Deals are now being done for multiple tiers, though. For example, the Pac-12's new deal with ESPN and FOX covers first- and second-tier rights. And the ACC's deal covers football, men's and women's basketball, Olympic sports and all conference championship games. Basically, it's an all-inclusive package with a sublicensing arrangement in place with Raycom for games not broadcast by ESPN.

The ACC deal is worth $3.6 billion over the next 15 years, according to The Associated Press. That puts the ACC behind only the Big Ten and Pac-12 in terms of the average revenue per school, per year by one measure (viewing all current contracts divided between conferences’ 2012-13 membership.)

SportsBusiness Daily has reported the Big 12 has verbally agreed to a new contract with ESPN and FOX for its first-tier rights for $2.6 billion over 13 years. That would bring the per-year average for the Big 12 to $200 million and the per-school, per-year average to $20 million. The SEC is expected to reopen its contract talks with ESPN following the addition of Missouri and Texas A&M.

ESPN had no comment on any of the deals, which vary in what slate of rights are included, but a spokesman did say that the network is in regular contact with its business partners.

With all of the shuffling and extensions, it can be hard to keep up. Here’s a listing, according to information from The Associated Press, SportsBusiness Daily, SportsBusiness Journal and Adweek, of where things stand now. The Big 12 extension is not included because it has not been finalized. Also, per-year averages and per-school, per-year averages are straight averages and do not take into account actual variances by year as stipulated in individual contracts.

BIG12
First-tier rights: $480 million, ESPN, eight years through 2015-16
Second-tier rights: $1.17 billion, FOX, 13 years through 2024-25
Per-year average: $150 million
Per-school, per-year average: $15 million

PAC-12
First- and second-tier rights: $3 billion, ESPN/FOX, 12 years through 2023-24
Per-year average: $250 million
Per-school, per-year average: $20.8 million

SEC
First-tier rights: $825 million, CBS, 15 years through 2023-24
Second-tier rights: $2.25 billion, ESPN, 15 years through 2023-24
Per-year average: $205 million
Per-school, per-year average: $14.6 million

BIG TEN
First-tier rights: $1 billion, ESPN, 10 years through 2016-17
Second-tier rights: $2.8 billion, Big Ten Network, 25 years through 2031-32
Select basketball rights (minimum of 24 games, men’s tournament semifinal and championship games): $72 million, CBS, six years through 2016-17
Football championship game: $145 million, FOX, six years through 2016
Per-year average: $248.2 million
Per-school, per-year average: $20.7 million

ACC
First-, second- and third-tier rights: $3.6 billion, ESPN, 15 years through 2026-27
Per-year average: $240 million
Per-school, per-year average: $17.1 million

BIG EAST
First-tier rights: $200 million, ESPN , six years for basketball through 2012-13; seven years for football through 2013-14
Second-tier rights: Basketball, $54 million, CBS, six years through 2012-13

Some important notes:

• No per-year average or per-school, per-year average has been calculated for the Big East, because it does not make public its revenue-sharing method between basketball-only members, football-only members and full members.

• A number of these contracts have escalator clauses, including the Pac-12 contract. In the early years of that contract, it will be $180 million per year (or $15 million per school) and in the later years it escalates, according to statements made by Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott via conference call following the contract’s announcement.

• Deals for third-tier rights vary by conference. Some third-tier rights are bundled by conferences and sold to regional networks while others are retained by schools and sold individually to local or regional networks. For example, Pac-12 schools have pledged their third-tier rights to the upcoming Pac-12 Network, while the University of Texas has granted third-tier rights to The Longhorn Network, a partnership between ESPN, IMG and the university.

This couldn't have been better written if swofford had

Jan 14, 2013, 8:12 PM

Written it himself. John, it's basketball season. This is stuff that's good for the conference and football schools. You have much better things to do like promote unc and dook bball so....Go away. :)

If an ACC Network does not bring us in the neighborhood of

Jan 14, 2013, 8:46 PM

the other conferences' TV money, prepare for the ACC to be canabalized by the other conferences.

The ratings bonanza that was the Chick Fil-A Bowl...

Jan 15, 2013, 12:22 AM

should certainly help in negotiations like this.

Also remember to a certain degree it isn't just what the ACC

Jan 15, 2013, 3:01 AM

has to offer, it is also what ESPN has to offer. If they want to maximize profits for themselves and the ACC they can get creative and bundle the new network with other channels such as the Longhorn Network and the SEC Network, or ESPNews or ESPNU, something like that, to force more cable and satellite providers into picking it up. Sometimes it isn't just what you have to offer, it's also what your partner has to offer and being with ESPN could help payoff in the long run.

tiger5

Jan 15, 2013, 6:25 AM

Th cost include housing the network, employees, equipment, travel, setup costs....better have lots of people wanting to buy ads on yet another sports network in an already saturated market.

baseball fan

Jan 15, 2013, 6:31 AM

Your point, while valid, also had an SEC tam. Who pulled in the fans...Clemson or LSU? I know what you want to believe but it may be the SEC that getsvcredit for the big television crowd.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic