Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If TV Market = Ratings and $ then why isn't GT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 747

If TV Market = Ratings and $ then why isn't GT

Dec 1, 2012, 11:03 AM

on national TV every week or picked as the ACC game of the week every week?

Same for Miami.

What they need are TV ratings. Just because a school is located in a big market doesn't mean people watch them.

I would bet more people in Atlanta are interested in Clemson than GT. Similarly, I think more people in Charlotte are interested in Clemson football than any NC school.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If TV Market = Ratings and $ then why isn't GT

Dec 1, 2012, 11:05 AM

hey we hired their AD. look at their departure rumors now. clearly we either know a lot or very darn little

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2012, 11:14 AM

GT voted for the 50 million.... UGA is going to block them them along with Florida, Tenn and the chickens. They are not going anywhere. Rumors that have no merit.

Dec 1, 2012, 11:21 AM

GT will not get back into the SEC for the same reason USC was not welcome back into the ACC.

GT looks to be going to the Big 10...not the SEC.***

Dec 1, 2012, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: If TV Market = Ratings and $ then why isn't GT ]

Its not about TV ratings.. Its about...

Dec 1, 2012, 11:26 AM

Getting the Big Ten Network into those markets.. Even if people don't watch the big ten network, it still is included in their bill, and the Big Ten still makes money. THAT is why they want these big tv markets. They could care less about the teams or the ratings

I live in Seneca SC and get the Big Ten Network

Dec 1, 2012, 12:09 PM

I've watched it maybe twice in the three years I have had it.

what people are ignoring is how TV is changing.....cable/satellite carriage fees are unsustainable and TV as we know it will be done in 10 years.

Of course you might still have a land line phone, dial-up internet, and cable TV at your house and don't believe modernization will happen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still do not understand how getting on TV in a market like

Dec 1, 2012, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Its not about TV ratings.. Its about... ]

Atlanta helps you IF NO ONE watches.

Long gone are the days of 3-4 channels when everyone had to watch ND.

My daughter sells TV advertising and it is based on the ratings for individual shows. In the case of games/athletics it is based on the predicted rating. For example, this year's ACCC has a lower rating that last year's because GT fans don't watch much TV. Too busy adjusting their slide rules and calling mom in India.

Obviously, the pros in the conferences know what we don't

Dec 1, 2012, 2:27 PM

know. It seems like nearly all recent conference additions, all over the nation, are from new markets. I think instead of trying to rationalize why we would be a better fit for the SEC, we need to adjust to what the conferences are looking for and try to get a seat in a conference that would see us as an asset, from their perspective. In my opinion, that looks like the Big 12, and only the Big 12. I strongly feel we should try to grab a seat on the Big 12 train before it leaves the station. It's either that or be content being in a basketball league, and all the negatives that brings with it.

Replies: 8
| visibility 747
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic