Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Purnell hadn't ruined our bball program when he left...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

If Purnell hadn't ruined our bball program when he left...

Mar 13, 2017, 1:32 PM

how many NCAAT appearances, wins, Sweet 16's, etc... would Brownell have by now? If the program had been in decent shape, it wouldn't have taken 7-8 years for BB's coaching to shine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Purnell hadn't ruined our bball program when he left...

Mar 13, 2017, 1:39 PM

Ehhh...If it wasnt for OP, Brownell would have zero apperances instead of the one he does have(with OP's recruits)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do you think we couldn't get a better coach with the

Mar 13, 2017, 1:40 PM

juggernaut OP built?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why do you think we couldn't get a better coach with the***

Mar 13, 2017, 1:44 PM

so you don't have an answer either Skeeter?***

Mar 13, 2017, 1:47 PM

we got a good coach... what's wrong with BB?

Mar 13, 2017, 1:49 PM [ in reply to why do you think we couldn't get a better coach with the ]

he's had one hand tied behind his back for 7 years, and is just now in a position to get us going

so you don't have an answer either York?***

Mar 13, 2017, 1:56 PM

Re: we got a good coach... what's wrong with BB?

Mar 13, 2017, 2:09 PM [ in reply to we got a good coach... what's wrong with BB? ]

Brownell is not a good coach. Barnes,Foster,and Purnell were good coaches. They got us to the NCAAs and beyond. What has Brownell done other than have average teams?

You're next CoachMac, why couldn't we get a better coach

Mar 13, 2017, 2:26 PM

with the juggernaut that OP built?

The consensus was we hired a great coach in CBB

Mar 13, 2017, 2:33 PM

I remember reading one article that said something along the lines of (and I'm paraphrasing) one of the best qualities of a CBB team is that they always get a great look at the basket coming out of a timeout. After this last year, do you think that's true? Heck, I was happy all year when we didn't turn the ball over on the in-bounds pass, let alone get a shot off, let alone getting a quality shot off, let alone actually score.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

you didn't answer the question either...Why couldn't we get

Mar 13, 2017, 2:38 PM

a BETTER coach with the juggernaut OP built?

who ever said we couldn't have?

Mar 13, 2017, 2:39 PM

would you say we could have gotten a "better" coach than Dabo at the time?

Why do P5 coaches decline to even interview for the job?***

Mar 13, 2017, 2:41 PM

I answered it, you just chose to ignore the answer

Mar 13, 2017, 2:40 PM [ in reply to you didn't answer the question either...Why couldn't we get ]

Everyone involved thought we DID get a better coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

so Brad was the best we could get? With OP's juggernaut?***

Mar 13, 2017, 2:45 PM

You ask the question like I was personally on the search

Mar 13, 2017, 2:54 PM

committee. I know the timing of the search put us at a disadvantage, but when CBB was hired it was seen as a really good decision. I know you enjoy the hyperbole of using the word "juggernaut" but you have to admit our team was pretty strong when OP skipped town. So what are you really asking here?

I am asking why a team with 3 straight NCAA bids had to

Mar 13, 2017, 3:08 PM

settle for Wright State's HC? Was it our history? Was it our facilities? Was it Administrative support? The bandwagon was full, so it couldn't have been the fan support...What, in YOUR opinion, turned established P5 coaches away?

And what makes you so sure we will do better THIS time

Mar 13, 2017, 3:10 PM

around? Other than facilities, which we have been told numerous times isn't THAT important.

Re: And what makes you so sure we will do better THIS time

Mar 13, 2017, 3:11 PM

You are right we should just keep doing what we are doing... That is a better solution....

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

why did we HAVE to settle last time with a more attractive

Mar 13, 2017, 3:15 PM

program?

Re: why did we HAVE to settle last time with a more attractive

Mar 13, 2017, 3:47 PM

We didnt settle as GWP has pointed out to you. You just choose not to read it.

so we contacted at least 4 coaches from the SEC/Big 12 who

Mar 13, 2017, 3:52 PM

said no thank you first and then we got the guy we wanted all along? Just like South Carolina in football?

You keep missing the point, we didn't settle

Mar 13, 2017, 3:16 PM [ in reply to I am asking why a team with 3 straight NCAA bids had to ]

TDP consulted with guys like Rick Barnes and Brad Stevens and they all recommended Brad Brownell.

"He has been a winner everywhere he has been," Stevens said. "He is a quality coach and a quality person. Clemson has hired a big-time basketball coach."

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article14383019.html

Brad Stevens is dead to me.

Mar 13, 2017, 3:17 PM

!@#$%^&*!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was the best we could get, with the juggernaut OP built,

Mar 13, 2017, 3:25 PM [ in reply to You keep missing the point, we didn't settle ]

and you think we upgrade this time around?

why?***

Mar 13, 2017, 3:27 PM

Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse? Because you keep

Mar 13, 2017, 3:39 PM [ in reply to He was the best we could get, with the juggernaut OP built, ]

ignoring the fact that CBB was a good hire and came highly recommended. When has Clemson ever hired experienced P5 coaches in any sport? OP came from Dayton and built the program from complete ruin to a team that was making the tournament every year. Barnes came from Providence. Look at football, Bowden and Dabo? We have history in football and couldn't even get Frank Beamer to talk to us in 1998. Do I think we can upgrade this time around? Yes. Just like we upgraded after Shyatt.

Barnes was an established P5 HC***

Mar 13, 2017, 3:42 PM

Yeah, back when Providence was in the BE, let's not

Mar 13, 2017, 3:45 PM

pretend that was a big time job. But way to avoid the actual point of the post. If we were able to upgrade after Shyatt with a mid-major coach, why do you think we can't upgrade after Brownell?

Was the Big East a Power Conference?***

Mar 13, 2017, 3:46 PM

Re: Barnes was an established P5 HC***

Mar 13, 2017, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Barnes was an established P5 HC*** ]

P5 =

ACC
SEC
Pac 12
Big 10
Big 12

TIL Providence was in one of those conferences...

And GWP yes he is intentionally trying to be obtuse. He ignores questions and answers. He can only deflect and deflect.

You're right, I should have said Big 6 or Power Conference,

Mar 13, 2017, 3:49 PM

which the Big East clearly was at the time of Barnes hiring...And a RAG member accusing someone else of deflecting is like TigerKing79 calling someone else a race baiter

You ARE defelcting, you keep trying to make the point that

Mar 13, 2017, 3:51 PM

"if we couldn't upgrade after the juggernaut OP built what makes you think we could upgrade now?" I have answered that and you deflect from the question "we upgraded after Shyatt and started making the tournament every year, what makes you think we can't upgrade now?"

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

For the Record, I have NEVER defelcted anything! I

Mar 13, 2017, 3:54 PM

was raised better ;)

I would expect nothing less***

Mar 13, 2017, 3:58 PM

funny how the whiners don't have an an answer to a simple

Mar 13, 2017, 1:59 PM [ in reply to why do you think we couldn't get a better coach with the ]

question...Wonder why we couldn't we do better?

Re: funny how the whiners don't have an an answer to a simple

Mar 13, 2017, 3:46 PM

lol you accusing others of not answering a question is pretty rich.

I'm sorry, did you answer the question?***

Mar 13, 2017, 3:50 PM

Mar 13, 2017, 1:41 PM

Mar 13, 2017, 1:51 PM

He won with OPs team . I wish Terry Down Phillips had done more for OP. The problem then was an administration unfriendly to athletics.

One good thing that Terry Down Phillips did was

Mar 13, 2017, 1:53 PM

promote Dabo Swinney

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

CTB's idea.***

Mar 13, 2017, 1:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Brad isn't the problem, the fact that we could not hire a

Mar 13, 2017, 3:20 PM

better coach than him at the time is...Firing him is not going to change that

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic