Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If ND stays uncommitted to ACC in football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

If ND stays uncommitted to ACC in football

May 14, 2014, 2:46 PM

Does it make sense to just change direction and go after Penn State?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Get Penn State and give ND an ultimatum...***

May 14, 2014, 2:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes - it makes sense***

May 14, 2014, 2:56 PM

"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

With Penn St and ND a full member the ACC would be sick

May 14, 2014, 3:01 PM

Definitely the dream scenario

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When does the NCAA turn the showers off on Penn State?

May 14, 2014, 7:06 PM

2 more years?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: If ND stays uncommitted to ACC in football

May 14, 2014, 2:52 PM

ND will never join. Ever. They are just too arrogant

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the next question -- Does the new play off system format

May 14, 2014, 2:58 PM

and most conferences going to 9 puts pressure on ND to join a conference? ND might be left out from the NC depending on how the committee selects the final 4.

"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

no***

May 14, 2014, 5:31 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

ND will have a 9-game FBS schedule locked in from the

May 14, 2014, 5:44 PM [ in reply to the next question -- Does the new play off system format ]

get-go: 5 ACC, USC, Stanford, Purdue and Navy. Those are pretty much a permanent rotation now. Add in another Pac-12, Big 12, or B1G program each year and they'll be okay. Even with 3 of 5 Big 5's going to 9 conference games, schools will figure out a way to add ND to their schedule if they get the call. I don't know that they ever schedule any FCS teams period, so their SOS will not be an issue come selection time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND will have a 9-game FBS schedule locked in from the

May 14, 2014, 6:26 PM

> get-go: 5 ACC, USC, Stanford, Purdue and Navy. Those
> are pretty much a permanent rotation now. Add in
> another Pac-12, Big 12, or B1G program each year and
> they'll be okay. Even with 3 of 5 Big 5's going to 9
> conference games, schools will figure out a way to
> add ND to their schedule if they get the call. I
> don't know that they ever schedule any FCS teams
> period, so their SOS will not be an issue come
> selection time.

ND will cease playing Purdue on an annual basis after this season. ND will next play Purdue in 2020.

Yes***

May 14, 2014, 2:55 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

It would be nice to have a full member...

May 14, 2014, 3:06 PM

but as a fan I would prefer to play ND over PSU.

realistically

May 14, 2014, 4:39 PM

Penn State would be the way to go, but I agree, I would much rather play ND. Granted PSU is a traditional program with a good history as well, but not on the same level as ND.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2014, 3:11 PM

I think the key will be when the playoff goes to 8 teams. The 5 conference champions will be given a bid and ND will have a much more difficult path to the playoff. Also it will be important to note the power that the power 5 conferences gain from the NCAA. If ND is left out of the conversations they will have to find a way in.

null

The BIG 10 Money is far Superior To ACC Money....No Way

May 14, 2014, 3:26 PM

The Big 10 Network is a cash cow..Penn State would never take the pay cut

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: The BIG 10 Money is far Superior To ACC Money....No Way

May 14, 2014, 3:32 PM

> The Big 10 Network is a cash cow..Penn State would
> never take the pay cut

This poster is spot on. As a fan, I know it's easy to speculate that it would be great if this school or that school joined the conference. But Penn St. is not about to leave the Big 10. It would cost PSU too much money to do so. And I'm not only talking money derived from athletics. I'm talking the hundreds of millions of dollars received as a result of being a member of the Big 10 academic consortium, the CIC.

May 14, 2014, 4:12 PM

Everyone always blows this stuff way out of proportion. As it currently stands the B1G will receive about 6-8 million more based on academic revenue. This is simply based on the B1G network.

The CIC is a very important part of the Big 10 and does generate hundreds of millions in revenue but that does not equate to hundreds of millions in a schools pockets. The ACCAIC is also a collaboration of institutions and does very well for itself. It is still growing and will be increased by the addition of ND, Pitt, and Cuse.

So yes the B1G has an advantage but a large portion of that advantage would be cut into if the ACC added Penn st. to its TV and research packages.

null

May 14, 2014, 4:30 PM

> Everyone always blows this stuff way out of
> proportion. As it currently stands the B1G will
> receive about 6-8 million more based on academic
> revenue. This is simply based on the B1G network.
>
> The CIC is a very important part of the Big 10 and
> does generate hundreds of millions in revenue but
> that does not equate to hundreds of millions in a
> schools pockets. The ACCAIC is also a collaboration
> of institutions and does very well for itself. It is
> still growing and will be increased by the addition
> of ND, Pitt, and Cuse.
>
> So yes the B1G has an advantage but a large portion
> of that advantage would be cut into if the ACC added
> Penn st. to its TV and research packages.

OK, let's assume that you are correct. Why does Penn St. leave the Big 10 to go to the ACC where it will receive less money?

So they don't. OK. Maybe UCF would be an alternative. I'd

May 14, 2014, 4:46 PM

prefer the weather, location, accessibility, resorts, restaurants, and night life. I haven't lost anything in the hills of Pennsylvania.... Purely a fan's perspective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2014, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: The BIG 10 Money is far Superior To ACC Money....No Way ]

I'm not saying that Penn St. would jump I was simply saying that the idea that the Big 10 or any other conference is so far ahead of the ACC is not true. The only reason Penn St. would join the ACC would be for personal preference that outweighed the financial differences. You are correct it is not a sound business decision but the financial benefits may not be enough if they had other motives.

null

May 14, 2014, 4:55 PM

> I'm not saying that Penn St. would jump I was simply
> saying that the idea that the Big 10 or any other
> conference is so far ahead of the ACC is not true.
> The only reason Penn St. would join the ACC would be
> for personal preference that outweighed the financial
> differences. You are correct it is not a sound
> business decision but the financial benefits may not
> be enough if they had other motives.

Don't get me wrong. I still think that Penn St. is an eastern school, rather than a midwestern school, in flavor. And I would hate to be a part of any association where Michigan and Ohio St. rule the roost. But I just don't see the incentive for Penn St. to move to the ACC.

"The CIC is a very important part of the Big 10 and does

May 14, 2014, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: The BIG 10 Money is far Superior To ACC Money....No Way ]

generate hundreds of millions in revenue..."

How so?

I'm sorry...every time this "ACC vs Big Ten" debate comes up, the CIC gets thrown in there. It's always portrayed as some huge deal for the Big Ten, but when I ask for specifics the response is always "Trust me, it's big." Which leads me to believe it's nothing, because "Trust me...I'll be able to understand the value if someone actually tried to explain it to me." As far as I can tell, it's a lobbying organization for the Big Ten research, with some shared services. Fine. But I fail to see how any one organization gets some massive windfall in research money as a result. As has been documented in the news previously, Clemson does a highly effective job of lobbying for CLEMSON research grants.

But...I'm open minded. Maybe the CIC is huge and no one is actually able to articulate it.

null

Re: "The CIC is a very important part of the Big 10 and does

May 14, 2014, 4:44 PM

The financial gains of the CIC are not avalible because the are not reported as an entity. Instead they are just reported by the individual universities. The difference between the CIC and the ACCAIC is that the CIC is fully integrated into the universities and is an established system. The ACCAIC is trying to accomplish the same goals but because it was started in 1999 as apposed to 1958 it is difficult to create the level of cooperation between the Universities. The CIC has long standing research and development programs that involve multiple departments at many universities that continue to bring large funds. I understand what you are saying about Clemson but like any other University we simply do not have the resources required to compete with this collaborative effort.

null

Re: "The CIC is a very important part of the Big 10 and does

May 14, 2014, 4:47 PM [ in reply to "The CIC is a very important part of the Big 10 and does ]

Not exactly sure what you are looking for, but here is the CIC website. I couldn't locate any figures concerning research dollars, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

http://www.cic.net/home

Yes, both of you replied with what I always get.

May 14, 2014, 4:49 PM

"Dude, it's huge cooperation."

Maybe, but it's not some massive benefit that we are missing out on. Remember that the Big Ten is a group of HUGE research institutions. Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska...these are enormous state schools with enormous research programs. The fact that they get a lot of research money, as far as I can tell, is not because they cooperate. It's because they are huge.

No one has ever given me any actual numbers for this urban myth, and so that is what it remains in my eyes.

null

Re: Yes, both of you replied with what I always get.

May 14, 2014, 4:58 PM

The numbers are research money brought in by the Universities not by the CIC. So you will never get actual numbers unless you see revenue broken down with and without CIC related projects. I know the big 10 universities had 8.4 billion in research last year. Universities get research grants because they have the resources and staff to support it. It would stand to reason that 14 universities combined would have a larger pool of resources than a single university.

null

Mmmhmm. So...nothing.******

May 14, 2014, 5:41 PM

null

I think people underestimate the amount of research grants..

May 14, 2014, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes, both of you replied with what I always get. ]

The ACC receives. I know for a fact that Duke and Pitt are both in the top 10 and UNC, GT, BC, VT, NCST, Wake, and UVA aren't too far out of the top 50. I'd love to see a total and an average per conference.

May 14, 2014, 4:03 PM

The ACC would have to force ND by having two other teams they are willing to take to move to 16. With every conference moving to 9 game conference play in the next 4 years this will make life very hard for ND without the ACC.

The ACC only options are UCONN and UCF for expansion. Penn State has a GOR contract with the B1G, UWV has the same with the BigXII. I can't see any other team being of interest for the ACC.

I could see the B1G moving to 16 teams very soon and the top two targets being Mizzu and Texas A&M. Mizzu would leave the SEC in the blink of an eye, not sure about Texas A&M but I could see them leaving also. Neither have no rivals in the SEC.

May 14, 2014, 9:33 PM

A&M actually has a couple of historic rivals in Arkansas and LSU.

I just don't understand why people think in 2014 that

May 14, 2014, 4:19 PM

there is any chance of us getting Penn State to join the ACC. Ten years ago, maybe. Now, no. Now they have Rutgers and Maryland as "local" flavor. They don't care about Pitt as much any more. They like having the fellow huge public schools like Ohio State and Michigan. The revised Big Ten structure makes their division regional so way less playing in Iowa and Nebraska. The Big Ten network is lucrative. The Big Ten is a fine academic conference.

Uconn
Navy
Cincy
USF
UCF
WVU

These are the viable targets for a 16th member if ND joined for football, in my opinion.

null

Penn state and ND, ACC North and South

May 14, 2014, 5:11 PM

That would be incredible to add both and could even out true north and south divisions Tobacco Rd could go with. Imagine
South: Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, UNC, Duke, NC State, WF
North: VT , UVA, Louisville, ND, Pitt, PSU, Cuse , BC
Nine game conference schedule playing other 7 teams of division, rival (VT), and a rotating team that changes every year in the other division.
Every team must find a rival to play every year in one of the other three BCS conferences for the 10th game and then rotating divisional home and aways switching conference match ups with another Big 3 conference school for 11th game. 12th game whoever (in state FCS for us).
4 major conferences with winner of each in playoffs. This requires desovling of an unstable Big XII.
Say Ok and Ok state to SEC. Big 10 picks up Kansas, Kansas st, and Uconn to replace PSU. PAC gets Texas, Texas Tech, BYU, Boise St. Two second tear conferences of the biggest schools left in east and west form and have a few bowl tie ins with the Big 4. Dreaming big hah.

What little chance we had at PSU

May 14, 2014, 5:28 PM

was lost when the Big 10 added Maryland and Rutgers. They now have a fairly tight geographical division with close-by rivals in addition to the benefits they already received from the Big 10.

May 14, 2014, 5:42 PM

Don't they have TV contracts?
How ACC contract going to work ?
Two stations and Two TV ?

May 14, 2014, 6:25 PM

> Don't they have TV contracts?
> How ACC contract going to work ?
> Two stations and Two TV ?

ND has its own contract which will remain in place, and the ACC also has its contract. ND will receive no money from the ACC TV contract. Games played in South Bend will be televised on NBC. Games played at ACC sites will be on the ACC TV network.

May 14, 2014, 6:33 PM

Why would you think that Maryland left to join B1G money but Penn St. would leave for the ACC ? They would not consider it for a minute.....

May 14, 2014, 10:09 PM

Now that the scandal is in the past, I would take Penn State as a full member over a "negotiated" half in Notre Dame for sure. Not sure that has ever been an option however.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic