Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Aside from the ugly floors, what am I missing about this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Aside from the ugly floors, what am I missing about this

Jan 29, 2019, 9:31 AM

house. Been in twice and seen mainly cosmetic issues. Yet is has been on the marked 80 some days.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/100-Governors-Sq_Greer_SC_29650_M67218-43836

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A. That's a Jim Walter home

Jan 29, 2019, 9:34 AM

B. Fake wood linoleum

C. Brown carpet

D. Greer

Otherwise OP, it's great

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of these things may be helpful.

Jan 29, 2019, 9:40 AM

I don't know what Jim Walter home means, maybe I need to.

I think it is laminate, not linoleum, there are left over planks in the garage. A floor can be dealt with.

It may be in Greer, but it is close to just off Pelham Rd. Maybe Fairly close to exit 54.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know what houses cost in that area

Jan 29, 2019, 9:57 AM

but compared to Seneca/Central/Some of Clemson area, they are killing you on price. Seems like a lot of money for a house that size. Separate dining rooms in any size house always seemed like a complete waste of space to me. Personally, I'd never use that room.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems like anything with 2 real baths and no

Jan 29, 2019, 10:00 AM

mold is costing about $160,000. Less than ideal is the fact the laundry is in the garage. That dining area can be most anything and I like that there is this whole other room that can closed off if needed.

Jim Walter Homes was a huge tract home builder.

Jan 29, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to All of these things may be helpful. ]

They've gone out of business used proprietary kits so they could throw entire neighborhoods up in half the time it took to build stick-built from plans or custom homes. Not quite a manufactured home, but not 100% stick-built from the ground up. Most Jim Walter homes were simple ranch type houses. I'm not sure from the pictures that this one is truly a Jim Walter Home, it just has that look.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, they were the first widespread modular kit home

Jan 29, 2019, 7:29 PM

that I know of. you could tell from a 100' away due to elevation and shape of a double wide, low pitch roof, and very short overhang.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aside from the ugly floors, what am I missing about this

Jan 29, 2019, 9:34 AM

Are those floors wood?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Laminate floors (looks like). Would rip those up.

Jan 29, 2019, 9:37 AM

Carpet looks good, relatively new appliances, updated bath counter.

Gotta lose the chain link fence tho.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I'm guessing people in that area typically have a kid or two

Jan 29, 2019, 9:38 AM

and need something bigger, particularly the kitchen. If you cook much you'll be wanting to burn down the house within 3 weeks because of that kitchen, my last one had a similar amount of counter space and it was a nightmare.

Good area though. Although I am of the opinion a true American red blooded man needs no less than half an acre to flourish.

Also, once you get out of Greenville that price buys you a new house with the finishings you want.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The challange of getting outside Greenville is

Jan 29, 2019, 9:42 AM

paying more than I do now for rent and the gasoline budget going way, way up. Also something new would need to be finished already. Must escape the current place at end of April.

The commute into Greenville is a nightmare

Jan 29, 2019, 9:50 AM

You get a lot more for your money though. Hey, if you buy that place and want to add another trampoline to the backyard, I'm your guy. You could have a regular little own little Devenger sky zone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, that trampoline has got to go.

Jan 29, 2019, 9:53 AM

The the privet grown all up in the fence. Then the honey suckle needs calmed down a touch. What I do like is there is ample room to build a smoke house in the back yard and no HOA to tell me I can't.

Oughtta charge them to take it away***

Jan 29, 2019, 9:58 AM

Don't just assume that it will go

Jan 29, 2019, 9:59 AM [ in reply to LOL, that trampoline has got to go. ]

That's what I did, and I still have a fuggin trampoline in my backyard.

And you also have a QT nearby at that house. The convenience of that cannot be understated.

I attribute at least 10 of the pounds I've gained since

Jan 29, 2019, 10:02 AM

moving up here to QT. We have one on really close by now and I always seem to end up with a Fountain Dr. Pepper on any trip longer than 20 miles. Overall the area is really good for me, right now. Since I've given up on Polymed, moving towards Anderson isn't preferred.

It's a nice area if you have to be in Greenville

Jan 29, 2019, 10:08 AM

My sister lives around there, and she likes it. Just have to put up with the traffic in the afternoons.

Put about $10k or so into that house and I don't think you'd have much trouble selling it. One thing I discovered was just how persnickety some buyers can be. People could be overlooking it because of the chain link fence or something stupid like that.

They may hate that it backs up to a

Jan 29, 2019, 10:11 AM

Church's baseball field. I am okay with that as I suspect it will prevent neighbors on that side.

Just keep in mind that if you get arrested, it will likely

Jan 29, 2019, 10:14 AM

double the amount of charges you face. Apparently being within a mile of children makes offenses that much worse.

Whichis funny, because I don't generally want to be within

Jan 29, 2019, 10:15 AM

a mile of children.

Put trampoline on Craigslist free section

Jan 29, 2019, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Don't just assume that it will go ]

It will be gone in a day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

There's a soccer goal in the back yard, so

Jan 29, 2019, 9:55 AM

that probably means there was ####### living there.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I can get you that and the trampoline for

Jan 29, 2019, 10:05 AM

a nice price.

Nice!

Jan 29, 2019, 10:35 AM

SarahAdidas and were just talking about how our kids are running around too much inside the house. A couple of broken necks should slow them down.

whabbout Simpsonville?

Jan 29, 2019, 10:34 AM

not sure about this foreclosure...But I'm fairly familiar w/ this neighborhood. TONS (woodruff rd levels) of convenience @ Fairview Rd, but plenty of ways to avoid it and it's traffic, too. Property values are skyrocketing...there IS an HOA ($350/year). Got a pool & common area w/ playgroung, grills, covered picnic area

https://www.zillow.com/homes/208-parkgate-court-simpsonville_rb/

16 year old cookie cutter home....2/10 wood not

Jan 29, 2019, 10:42 AM

Mine was 4 years newer than that one, and beginning to crumble.

how is that much different than OP house?

Jan 29, 2019, 10:51 AM

I used to live in adjacent n'hood that was built around same time by same people (either Centex - like this one, or Tower - like mine).

Great construction? #### no...but I've seen muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch worse. In our house, the HVAC was the only major (and recurring) problem. I had to replace 2 large picture windows due to broked seals/condensation, and there's another that the spring/pulley/counterweight borked, and won't stay open. That's really about it

Maybe I'm just biased toward the older builds, I dunno

Jan 29, 2019, 11:18 AM

I watched them put up houses in my old hood in under 3 months. That cannot be quality construction.

My issues were more with shoddy wiring in the house, and lack of insulation, which ultimately was killing the HVAC. And the hot water heater was in the closet, every one of my neighbors had theirs bust somehow and ruin the flooring in the bedroom. Thankfully, we didn't have that problem. We were about to the point where we couldn't have internet without running new wires in the walls, though. Still not sure what that was about.

Oh, and all of the water lines were in the ceiling. When it got below 25 degrees, again due to poor insulation, they would start freezing up no matter what you did. Hearing the ice force it's way through the lines overhead will make a bhole pucker HARD.

best to avoid anything from the late 90's through 2007

Jan 29, 2019, 12:38 PM

They couldn't build houses fast enough so houses were built with cheap materials and labor in less than 90 days.

Track home builders aren't quite as bad as they used to be but there is still a labor shortage and the good tradesman are bought up working on custom homes. Materials are better than they used to be partly because of technology and partly due to competition.

Simpsonville seems to have all of the headaches of some

Jan 29, 2019, 10:54 AM [ in reply to whabbout Simpsonville? ]

areas and none of the pluses. I'd almost rather be further out and try to get real acreage.

whatcha mean by headaches?

Jan 29, 2019, 10:56 AM

and depends on what you count as 'plusses'....my only qualm is the distance (and route, I guess) to downtown g'ville, and places north that seem close cloming from g'ville, but far coming from s'ville

Right now I am real easy to 385 and 85.

Jan 29, 2019, 11:01 AM

Easy to Clemson, Easy to Asheville. Work commute doesn't suck. Downtown could be a daily occurrence for me if I really wanted to. I feel like Simpsonville is getting to the point where stuff further away and the commute would be awful.

yeah, it's not great

Jan 29, 2019, 11:08 AM

I've been going a different way to work in the morning, avoiding 385 altogether AND cutting off 10-20 minutes from commute. It's been great, relative to 385....but still gets backed up sometimes

I usually work til 6 - by that time the rushhour traffic has somewhat subsided. The 385/85 'gateway' area sucks. Hopefully that's just due to the construction, however I'd guess it'll always be that way. Also, been going home a slightly different way, avoiding that area....but different route than morning commute

WHEN I leave between 4:30-5:30, it sucks until i get south of woodruff rd exit, and i remember the one silver lining of working til 6.

I wouldn't consider it awful, but it definitely docks a few points off of S'ville

project #1; a roof over that back porch***

Jan 29, 2019, 10:36 AM

If I had to guess, the reason it has been on the market so

Jan 29, 2019, 10:37 AM

long is that it is directly on Devenger, instead of inside a neighborhood. People with kids don't want to be on a busy road. Also, it looks like they are at about $125/sf. Needs to be closer to $100-110/sf based on condition/location.

The house across the street that has the same location problem, but is ~300 sf bigger and much much nicer, with a 4 car garage, where this one has a 1 car garage, sold for ~$125/sf.

Here's what I'm missing......

Jan 29, 2019, 10:44 AM

You make an offer and put down earnest money on the place we say is a condemned meth lab.

You do nothing on the place that's a great deal and we're like YES go get it.

Wait, actually I'm missing nothing...this is exactly how lunge advice works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do not recall a place that was a great deal.

Jan 29, 2019, 10:51 AM

OR I was never able to get in it because it was a great deal.

BTW, somebody make like 40 grand in a year on that supposed meth lab.

the place out near Furman...great deal.

Jan 29, 2019, 10:54 AM

It was a contingency but that's perfect for you since you have no house to sell. Don't walk away from contingencies. If someone has to make a contingency on a sub-200k house, it's not a matter of convenience--it means they really do have to sell their house before they can buy the new one. You go in and make your offer with no contingencies, the seller accepts it, and then the contingent offer has 5 days to remove the contingency or it's yours. More often than not, they won't be able to remove the contingency.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really do not recall any of this.***

Jan 29, 2019, 10:59 AM

Dood.....Sans Souci house. Near Swamp Rabbit trail.***

Jan 29, 2019, 11:04 AM

Oooh yeah, I guess my agent doesn't see those

Jan 29, 2019, 11:06 AM

contingencies the way you do cause that one was gone before we could get there. Was on the way and they called to cancel it.

As hot as Greenville's market is, I was a little

Jan 29, 2019, 11:11 AM

surprised that they even accepted a contingency.....that's the type of house that I would see having an offer and two backup offers on top of that.

Someone probably did what I mentioned and made a clean offer on top of the contingency before you went to look at it.

Just saying overall though, don't write off one just because it says "contingency".

that's something I've never thought of, either, and have

Jan 29, 2019, 11:15 AM

stalled attempts at expanding my rental empire because of the 'c word'

IMH (and non-professional) O, if you're making a clean

Jan 29, 2019, 11:19 AM

offer on top of a contingency, you're in the catbird seat, from a negotiation standpoint. You'll probably get it for a lower price than the contingency offer, real vs theoretical.....

Let the contingency people run around for 5 days like chickens with their head's cut off trying to borrow money from everyone that will loan it to em, and when they don't, it's yours.

Man, we had one my agent found on Saturday,

Jan 29, 2019, 11:15 AM [ in reply to As hot as Greenville's market is, I was a little ]

tried to get an appointment Saturday, they wouldn't do it. Got at noon on Sunday, get a text a 9 am that some ###### had already bought it. The agent and I think the seller was trying to clean up any dual agency issues and was never going to show it.

Man, mine did the same shid to me

Jan 29, 2019, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Oooh yeah, I guess my agent doesn't see those ]

We had an agreed upon offer from a buyer (but not signed), but had 3 more showings that day and she called to cancel all of them. I was like W TF are you doing? Nothing has been signed yet, we have no agreement SHOW THE FUGGIN HOUSE. The guy I had an agreement with turned out to be a total PITA, and only signed when I told him I was about to pull my offer.

I would push to see if it's still available, you can still show it even if it's under contract. A lot of these people in this price range have shaky financing anyway, from what I learned.

I can't recall the address that Obed is thinking of.

Jan 29, 2019, 11:23 AM

Not sure what we can do when my guy calls for an appointment and they say pound sand.

Corner lot - weird setup - house faces Devenger

Jan 29, 2019, 11:51 AM

access is from Governors Square - so truly no real back yard - and the driveway cuts down on what there is.

Devenger is high traffic also - so less desirable vs being more off the main road.

Other than that - location is a good area. Not the best school assignments - being assigned to Greenville Middle is weird.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And meant to add this all affects resale in a down market

Jan 29, 2019, 12:59 PM

right now everything sells - in a down market, this would have some issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The every thing sells part is what makes me think

Jan 29, 2019, 1:14 PM

there is a true monster hiding some place in this house. We cannot find evidence of offers falling through though.

The round toilet is a deal breaker

Jan 29, 2019, 12:17 PM

I vow to never sit on a round toilet again. There is no space to dip my junk below the seat.

Plus the house looks like a strong breeze (or the big bad wolf) could blow it over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You hang your junk into the bowl???

Jan 29, 2019, 12:24 PM

You don't mind getting poop-water on it?

Gross.

It's a bath for my balls***

Jan 29, 2019, 12:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Toilets can be switched out.

Jan 29, 2019, 12:25 PM [ in reply to The round toilet is a deal breaker ]

You're the first to mention something as negative as thinking it would fall if I fart too hard.

Re: Toilets can be switched out.

Jan 29, 2019, 12:33 PM

If you're a man of any sizable mass or muscle, grab a corner of the house and push. If you feel any movement, then stay away.

"Be sure to chock the tires first!" - FBCOACH

Jan 29, 2019, 12:46 PM

FBCoachSC®

Re: Aside from the ugly floors, what am I missing about this

Jan 29, 2019, 12:44 PM

good gosh there are so many uber rich people on here, but jackazzez. Not joungey joking jackazzes, but real ones.

Thats a nice spot with some good acreage. I would rip up that fence, but before throwing out the trampoline I would lather youself and sharkgirl up with some baby oil and jump in the front yard at 5pm on a Monday to let everyone who just moved into the neighborhood.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean, that is a given.***

Jan 29, 2019, 12:52 PM

Greer***

Jan 29, 2019, 1:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

You can't just say Greer.

Jan 29, 2019, 1:40 PM

Greer could be way down Wade Hampton where I was last night. OR like I have said about this place right close to the Pelhman rd exit for 85. That is not the same Greer.

Slab?***

Jan 29, 2019, 3:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crawl space no cracks that I could see.***

Jan 29, 2019, 3:07 PM

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic