Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Brent Venables loves his linebacker group: "It'll be undervalued"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

TNET: Brent Venables loves his linebacker group: "It'll be undervalued"

Jul 24, 2019, 8:01 AM

Brent Venables loves his linebacker group: "It'll be undervalued"

There are some in the media who think that Clemson’s linebacker group might be the weak link on the defense, and others might think that depth will be an issue this season after the transfer of senior Shaq Smith. The only vote that counts, however, belongs to defensive coordinator Brent Venables. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Brent Venables loves his linebacker group: "It'll be undervalued"

Jul 24, 2019, 8:20 AM

??

Jul 24, 2019, 8:30 AM

I do not worry about our defense. Every year since BV has been here we have lost great players, but somehow we just plug in the next guys, and they seem to pick right up where we left off, or maybe better. Granted, we lost talented players, but we haven't been signing weak links. I look forward to seeing the magic BV seems to perform again this season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 8:49 AM

The way we rotate players, in all situations, really develops the depth. There's no fear to put players in at any point in the game, and not expect results.

I think this is a big part of why our recruiting is at a high level. Kids are rejecting the "guaranteed" starting spot for the right to earn it. Clemson has too many examples to list, of players coming in and earning immediate playing time.

Still amazed at the vision, and execution of plan, from Dabo.

Jul 24, 2019, 9:08 AM

The entire staff shares the vision and the passion. Man, we have it rolling down hill, and I don't see it changing for a long time. What a great time to be a Tiger!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not all that concerned either. Simmons is a freak

Jul 24, 2019, 8:58 AM

and all we really need out of the other guys is awareness and toughness and I'm sure we will get that. Honestly we never have elite athleticism at the Mike or Will positions. We just have smart, physical players that are good at diagnosing plays.

If “Greenbeans” is happy . . .

Jul 24, 2019, 9:07 AM

I am happy!!!

We’ll spot the ball and see soon enough . . . I think I can make it now!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 9:12 AM

All we need is one of them to perform a Ben Boulware suplex and my year is complete!

Jul 24, 2019, 9:15 AM

I go back to the 2015 and a little of the 2016 defenses that gave up big busts/chunk plays and I haven’t seen that the last two years nearly as much. I think especially on the 2015 team there were a few guys doing their own things at times, especially in the back end. It seems like since climbing the mountain in 2016 the players see the big picture on sticking to their job and it makes it hard for teams to drive the length of the field. The LBs are the directors of that and I believe this group has as good a handle on the scheme as any group yet under Coach V.

College football's reaction to Brent: "He's Happy?"

Jul 24, 2019, 9:41 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really liked

Jul 24, 2019, 10:03 AM

S Smith and will miss him on the field. He will not be that easy to replace but Coach V. Has shown us that he can get the job done.

Or . . .

Jul 24, 2019, 11:13 AM [ in reply to College football's reaction to Brent: "He's Happy?" ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 10:12 AM

I don't know if anyone went to look and see how they were rated coming in as for their star ratings from 3 star to low 4 star, but, all but one of these guys are RS players from Sophomore to Senior. Once they become a college athlete, there isn't anymore of raising their star quality as it was in HS. Now that is where our coaching staff comes in with them all being some of the top coaches at their position in college FB, and they have been coaching these guys up from day one since arriving on campus. Throw those stars off the bus bc, if any of those guys were in their senior year in HS right now, most all of them would be high 4 and 5 star players. And this is what Dabo's coaching staff does, they take what they saw from these kids in HS as being good prospects, and they coach these guys up to being elite college player. And it's the star quality out of HS that the folks on the out side are judging, it's surly not what our coaching staff have done with these guys since coming to Clemson, where they get great coaching and are trusted early bc off great coaching.

If BV didn't think the guys that he named couldn't do their job, he does have star power Freshman that he could've gotten ready if he had to go that route but he didn't, and now he can bring that freshman star power along slow and easy, and make them into great athletic players!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It'll be undervalued" - B. Venables

Jul 24, 2019, 12:46 PM

If I had it my way this would be the post of the day!

I can't express enough how much I agree. People miss the whole point of what a "good coach is"! If the player is already good and needs no coaching; is x-coach really good? In my opinion, not really! When Coach Swinney took over he knew he wasn't going to win many recruiting battles with the blue bloods. Yet, we still got a few. So the formula was; we mix in some good talent at skill positions and "build up OL/DL"! Why you got some 2 star and 3 star guys who ended up being key contributors(pro bowlers Grady Jarrett) during this run.

IF Coach V says "these guys will be undervalued" he must really like how they play. Bad news for our opponents and comforting words for CU fans! allorangeallthetime52® You put it best - what star rank would these guys get now is what matters! I think Coach V uses the term, "Johnny 5-star" who maybe doesn't work as hard is less wanted than "Timmy 3-star" who grinds and puts in the work. IF a player is willing to put in the work - Coach V and company will put them in the right position for success - bottom line.
This is where several schools who have lost to the Tigers have failed honestly! Johnny 5 star gets to their campus and his game never gets any better or only slightly better than we he got there.
This is the difference and the secret sauce if you will people keep missing!

Let's hope they keep missing it!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 10:21 AM

That puts alot of thoughts to rest

Jul 24, 2019, 11:20 AM

Many of us Tiger fans, plus a lot of the so-called experts, tend to think the sky is falling when we see our players graduating. It's only naturally to wonder who is going to fill the voids. Over the past few years we have now become aware of our recruiting successes. Recognition of talent by our staff during the recruiting process and development of that talent after the players arrive on campus is the key to our current success. We have now passed the rebuild process and currently rely on the reload process. Each year, our recruiting classes continue to improve and our 2020 class appears to be our best ever.

In past years, there may have been one or two incoming freshmen capable of playing in their first year. In recent years we have seen more and more incoming freshmen be major contributors during their first year. Lawrence and Ross were shining examples of this fact last year. Looking at the list of current commits in the 2020 class, there are several with the potential to be major contributors during their freshman year.

I've been watching our Tigers since 1955, suffering through the bad times and happy as a lark during the good times. How happy I am that the Good Lord has allowed me to hang around long enough to enjoy our current success.

Success begets success and, as Dabo often reminds us, "THE BEST IS YET TO COME".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jul 24, 2019, 12:17 PM

As usual Joe 21 is right on it!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 6:08 AM

Can’t forget how solid the Davis twins were as a back ups especially last year. I never worried when I saw JD or Judah in the game.

Tre Lamar, Kendall Joseph, Jaylen Williams, JD Davis, Judah Davis took most of the quality snaps at two positions. They are gone. The first up guy in waiting Shaq is also gone.

Assume that Skalski is so good - that is what precipitated the departure Of Shaq Smith.

Chad Smith, J Skalski and the incoming freshmen / redshirts will really have to be ready to play all the snaps.

Combine linebacker losses with the defensive line loss of the top five players and it really is a test of recruiting depth and coaching.

During the run of the last four years, no team could just lineup and run the ball down throat and control the game that way. This new group has to be able to keep up that pace.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic