Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 225
| visibility 351

FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme

Nov 8, 2017, 3:20 PM

Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme

Whenever former Clemson receiver DeAndre Hopkins of the Houston Texans is introduced before a Sunday Night Football or Monday Night Football game, he gives his Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme

Nov 8, 2017, 3:22 PM

Hmm... I hate he felt that way. Glad he is doing well in the NFL and hopefully he and Clemson will be reconciled one day.

Nov 8, 2017, 4:43 PM

heck I still eat Ramadan noodles...once a week or so. Like em.Nuk on the other hand, is a little shortsighted....maybe as he grows up he will appreciate things.

Come to think Nuk Hopkins never even beat South Carolina

Nov 8, 2017, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

SMH

This guy thinks he doesn't have enough in life.

Re: Come to think Nuk Hopkins never even beat South Carolina

Nov 8, 2017, 8:48 PM

This post oozes coot.

Re: Come to think Nuk Hopkins never even beat South Carolina

Nov 9, 2017, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Come to think Nuk Hopkins never even beat South Carolina ]

Sounds like a coot haha don't matter if he beat uscjr or not he's doing better than anyone on that team including 1 overall clowney!! Just happen to be uscjr best ever team to wear those terrible colors and Nuk happen to be hear during that time! He's still a Tiger and hope he can come to realize us fans that still follow him and buy his jerseys he's not red hair step child and never was to me atleast. Go Tigers!!

Nov 9, 2017, 2:08 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Disappointing viewpoint from Nuk, if reported accurately. Clearly doesn't understand Ponzi, but that aside, he's disenfranchised with his college experience. That is surprising since it got him an education and a 1st round NFL draft. Now he's successful in the NFL and wants to blame his college experience. Not a classy attitude. Hope he reads this and other posts. Time to grow up and quit placing blame on others Nuk. Hope you're a Tiger at heart, but I'm not hopeful. ??

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2017, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

I get why he left early to help his family but come on man we loved you at clemson! You were the team leader in receptions and broke the school record for receptions in 3 years and was Tajh go to guy while Nuk was here. Hate he feels that way about clemson I love Nuk and hope he can come to love he came from and started the WRU movement. Sad to hear he doesn't like clemson and thinks we did him wrong! I remember the stadium and us fans yelling NUK!!! And cheering every time he caught a pass. Just know Clemson fans love you and you weren't 2nd to anyone not even Sammy. Go Tigers!!

Nov 8, 2017, 3:26 PM

One more reason not to watch the NFL

Small mind but big brain, that's running his sassy mouth & attitude!

Nov 8, 2017, 3:30 PM

Always felt there was a motive behind his not giving Clemson University credit at major times on TV, as most players gladly do.

Now we hear The Truth.

Shameful NUK!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think a little bit. Nuk didn't say that was the reason.

Nov 8, 2017, 4:31 PM

In fact there is no quote from him saying anything about saying Daniel instead of Clemson.

The Tigernet staff really took you in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2017, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Go cry yourself a river!! These guys go through things just like me and you, they're more than your share of excitement every Saturday! If this how he feels about Clemson , then so be it! He doesn't owe them anything just like they don't owe him anything.... There's more in the world than just Clemson University!!

r

Nov 8, 2017, 3:31 PM

more like a lottery...

Nov 8, 2017, 3:38 PM

For every Nuk that makes it, there are many thousands who don't. I hope that Nuk has a good long career and is smart with his money.
For all of those who don't make it, or whose careers end prematurely, I hope that they have some aspects of their education to fall back on.
I'm sorry that his family had to eat noodles, but I am glad that Clemson University and its boosters didn't break NCAA rules to remedy that.

Re: more like a lottery...

Nov 9, 2017, 10:38 PM

He didn’t get his degree

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 8, 2017, 4:27 PM [ in reply to r ]

I doubt that they would be eating noodles now even if he hadn’t made it in the NFL

Nov 8, 2017, 4:52 PM [ in reply to r ]

Wow.

!any people in this world would love to have ramien

Nov 8, 2017, 6:24 PM [ in reply to r ]

noodles to eat.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:32 PM

Well, that explains a few things. He's entitled to his opinion. My hunch is he will look back differently at things once he experiences the cutthroat world of the NFL for a few more seasons.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

The most outstanding revelation from this is...

Nov 8, 2017, 3:33 PM

that no matter how good you are, how much you're worth, Clemson doesn't pay players.

He probably got to the pros and found out what the Bama and FSU players made in college.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The most outstanding revelation from this is...

Nov 8, 2017, 4:48 PM

Yes, I heard that the Bama players were very upset, at the pay cut they had to take when they got in the NFL.

Nov 9, 2017, 10:40 PM

You say that but Stuckey said that very same thing to my husband. That he took a pay cut his first year in the nfl

Nov 9, 2017, 9:41 AM [ in reply to The most outstanding revelation from this is... ]

That could be very true. I am disappointed in his remarks. I thought he was smarter than that. He should be thankful he can run fast and catch a football. But for that, with his attitude, I don't see much else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Luck Mr. Hopkins!

Nov 8, 2017, 3:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get the Ponzi scheme comparison

Nov 8, 2017, 3:35 PM

Sammy did get more attention, etc. But, Nuk got a lot of throws and attention in his junior year. I assumed he believed he could not top that year, and decided to declare for the NFL. I wish he could resolve his issues.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

He doesnt understand the meaning of Ponzi Scheme is why***

Nov 8, 2017, 3:47 PM

NFL is a Ponzi scheme***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:08 PM

Caring about the NFL is more like breaking up with the same overseas girlfriend three times a year. She most likely doesn't understand why we stand for the national anthem.

Re: He doesnt understand the meaning of Ponzi Scheme is why***

Nov 9, 2017, 9:43 AM [ in reply to He doesnt understand the meaning of Ponzi Scheme is why*** ]

There seems to be very much he doesn't yet understand. Glad I don't watch the NFL anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't get the Ponzi scheme comparison

Nov 8, 2017, 4:54 PM [ in reply to I don't get the Ponzi scheme comparison ]

They were going to cover that in the next semester, but he dropped out. He really needs to count his blessings. How quickly we forget! Ain't no body eating Ramen now!

Re: I don't get the Ponzi scheme comparison

Nov 8, 2017, 10:38 PM

Wish I could double like your post...

Pretty selfish sounding. Tough coaching at Clemson helped

Nov 8, 2017, 3:36 PM

him become the WR he is today.

Obviously extremely talented and great work ethic, but Clemson allowed him to reach his full potential.

He will understand that down the road.

Re: Pretty selfish sounding. Tough coaching at Clemson helped

Nov 9, 2017, 9:46 AM

I hope he will, but that seems to be a stretch for an attitude like he seems to have. Very disappointed in him! Maybe the other year at Clemson might have helped him become more knowledgeable and more grateful for the opportunity he had.

I figured there was more to the story...it was purposeful...

...and not simply attempting to honor his HS. I'm afraid Nuk is losing it.

The only thing he didn't get in college was "GUTS" because he's supposed to bring that but everything else is given to him. He was pampered in college unlike most college students but he did work hard after the opportunity was given to him.

What can Clemson give you Nuk? Opportunity that a lot of kids never got. How about an education and a degree. I understand it was nothing more than an opportunity but there are things that DW4, Boyd, Spiller and many other Clemson football athletes have...A CLEMSON freakin' diploma; something I hope someday you'll come back and earn.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I figured there was more to the story...it was purposeful...

Nov 8, 2017, 5:02 PM

I guess he thought everyone else at Clemson, that didn't play footfall, were dumb a$$es for being there! I am very proud of my degree from Clemson and hated that someone stole my ring, it reminds me every time I see one!

Re: I figured there was more to the story...it was purposeful...

Nov 9, 2017, 8:17 AM [ in reply to I figured there was more to the story...it was purposeful... ]

+1

I was fighting my feelings that Nuk is a diva. I am giving in to those feelings now.

I guess the great Corporate Executive Job I have...

As a direct result of my MBA from Clemson University was all just part of the Ponzi scheme?

Smdh still shaking it

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOOK AT ME***

Nov 8, 2017, 3:41 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't get mad ( at your desk job filling

Nov 8, 2017, 4:06 PM

data into spreadsheets, allowing you to post hours per day on T-Net):
Get E-trade!

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Nuk was also saying Tom Savage should be the QB over Watson

at the beginning of the season.

Re: Nuk was also saying Tom Savage should be the QB over Watson

Nov 8, 2017, 5:06 PM

I am not defending his recent comments but do think that he was just supporting the QB that was starting, AT THAT TIME, as he should!

Wow... that's disappointing

Bitter about Sammy? Ponzi scheme?

Playing football at Clemson gave him the forum in which to advertise his football skill and parlay it into a multi-million dollar career. The "ponzi scheme" stuff is ridiculous. All of his comments were ridiculous.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow... that's disappointing

It’s the truth about Sammy. And up until a few years ago that was the truth about most 5* athletes we got. Dabo has grown tremendously over the years and that’s the reason we have grown and won at this rate.

LOL, buy a clue.***

Nov 8, 2017, 6:29 PM

Nov 8, 2017, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Wow... that's disappointing ]

I'm betting that won't be NUUUKKKKKKKK he is hearing when he shows back up in DV after this bit of news about his feelings of Clemson gets out to the fan base!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2017, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Wow... that's disappointing ]

Fact is, as good as Hopkins was, he was no Sammy Watkins in college.

And guess what. We didn't need him to win a Natty

Sad to see him look back with such a selfish, self centered view. To act like he was only doing things for Clemson, and Clemson did nothing for him. I guess I won't be pulling for him anymore.

Re: And guess what. We didn't need him to win a Natty

Nov 8, 2017, 3:49 PM

Who cares about your support!

evidently you do***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:13 PM

LOL, just a Clemson obsessed King Coot.***

Nov 8, 2017, 6:32 PM

Nov 8, 2017, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: And guess what. We didn't need him to win a Natty ]

Man you are full of anger

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Clemson playing in and then winning the National

Nov 8, 2017, 6:46 PM

Championship make all Coots angry.o

Nov 8, 2017, 4:50 PM [ in reply to And guess what. We didn't need him to win a Natty ]

Maybe that is the deep deep down issue for NUK. Clemson continued on with out him.
1 player does not make a team great, but 1 player can make a team better. Clemson
moved on to win a Natty and NUK will move on to better things also. Sad to see
how the greed and selfish players of the ME ME ME league in affects once good guys.
I watch anything but the NFL due to attitudes like this. The NFL will self destruct
and these guys are not smart enough to see it happen right before their eyes.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:30 PM [ in reply to And guess what. We didn't need him to win a Natty ]

He is headed straight for an episode of "I LOST IT ALL" followed by "### Happened?"

Check your local listings for air time in your area!

Nov 8, 2017, 9:46 PM [ in reply to And guess what. We didn't need him to win a Natty ]

Didn't need him to win a Natty?? That's ignorant. Go back and watch the LSU win and read how it elevated recruiting, then post another dimwitted point of view.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:42 PM

I've disagreed with Nuk a couple of times, and was flamed on t-net for my opionions (and the KJV of the Bible). One can almost feel the hatred from this man. He does the same thing towards the Texans IMO. He gives them no respect, and if I were the coach of the Texans, he would be gone. I don't give a crap how good he is. IMO he is an example of why NOT to watch the NFL or NBA. I love DW4, but because of the KNEELERS and their disrespect, I choose to avoid the NFL. I asked Directv to cancel my FREE NFL Sunday Ticket, but they cannot do that until after the Super Bowl. Weird IMO. Something to do with being FREE. I told the rep that I don't allow un-Americans in my home, so I need to cancel that channel. I detest the NFL and the NBA - too racist IMO. Let them enjoy their millions while they can. I hope things change someday, but it's doubtful. Now if our efforts can bankrupt all of their sponsors, maybe things will change.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:56 PM

Boo hoo! So, put your pants on and take your panties off! Sound like a 60 year old, Confederate, southern, cry baby !!!

Sounds like your voice is a little high yourself...

Nov 8, 2017, 5:53 PM

It is YOUR panties that seem to be knotted... I happen to agree that Nuk is a great player, BUT a bit of a hot-head and full of himself. I disagreed with his stance on disrespecting our flag to spite the owner of the team... Yeah, FULL of HIMSELF!

Noone forced you to play college football

Nov 8, 2017, 3:44 PM

ungrateful entitled child. If it weren't for college football it sounds as if you wouldn't have been able to attend college and have a chance to improve you and your familys lives? You did just that, what is there to be bitter about - that you felt like you weren't the focal point of the team? Sounds as if you are as selfish if not more so than the program you are insinuating was to you. I hope the millions of dollars you make to play a game can help overcome the hardship placed on you by the college experience.

Re: Noone forced you to play college football

Nov 8, 2017, 5:14 PM

Clemson gave to him and he gave to Clemson.

That’s what it is suppose to be so just move on.***

Nov 8, 2017, 6:36 PM

Nov 8, 2017, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Noone forced you to play college football ]

It sounds like Nuk is angry with society bc of his poor up bringing. Don't blame society NUK for what little you and your family had growing up. The poor back ground came from the leaders of that family tree choosing not to place a value on education!!! Look back to the families that has always had what we call Old Money, and you will find that their family tree were mostly filled very educated people!!! There is a lot of ways to get rich this day and time, but without a good education, the chances of holding on to that money is slim. Money don't make the man, it's the man that is smart enough to make a lot of money that makes a rich man!!!

Nov 8, 2017, 9:58 PM

Wow, I missed him blaming society. I love when guys take the opportunity to give their talking points on a subject completely unrelated. So since you can tell what he was thinking from his post let me give it a try.

Sounds like you have failed to outpace the high standard of living your parents let you grow accustomed too and blame your father for working too hard and missing events in your childhood. How did I do? At least as realistic as your Nuk fairy tale?

Will be very interesting to see how Watson influences Nuk...

This may explain why Nuk was a bit chilly towards Watson at first... especially since Watson falls into the camp with Spiller and seemed to really value his education. Will be interesting to see if Watson has an impact on Nuk over time or vice versa. I've always been impressed that Watson has been as mature as he is - maybe Nuk will see that. However, Nuk has had exposure to Spiller in the past and obviously Spiller's opinions didn't rub off on him as much (at least when it comes to the value of education). I do think Nuk learned the value of hard work at some point... I don't think he had it too well when he came to Clemson and he seemed to have it more his junior year and in the years after he left. Credit for that goes to him, but quite possibly to at least some individuals around him at Clemson as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopkins has been revealing that he is...

Nov 8, 2017, 3:48 PM

a very small-minded person. And the "ponzi scheme" reference would lead me to question his basic intelligence, as it's pretty clear he has no earthly idea what a "ponzi scheme" really is.

Deshaun is a very different person. I truly hope that time spent around selfish, self-centered narcissistic morons won't influence him negatively.

You can tell he's not very intelligent or easily influenced

Nov 8, 2017, 4:16 PM

Heck he thought Tom Savage should've been the starter of the Texans. Guess he got his wish now.

Re: Hopkins has been revealing that he is...

Nov 8, 2017, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Hopkins has been revealing that he is... ]

Nope, bc the ponzi scheme is when somebody convinces others, preferably starting with smaller low dollar investment use to bring in the bigger investors that they will use their money to throw out the smaller investors. Just like using smaller fish to catch the bigger fish by setting the hook deeper... In no instance could Nuk say that he was a part of a fraud in anyway shape or form, while at Clemson he got the better of the deal with Clemson making him NFL ready!!!

actually, your definition fits the recruitment of

Nov 9, 2017, 11:16 AM

high school players to college.

visits are set with potential recruits at times that are potentially most influential to the recruit, i.e. home football, basketball, and baseball weekends. during these visits, the most high profile players are "asked" to host the recruit while on campus; show them around, introduce them to the best of college life and be an ambassador to said recruit. usually, the recruit is of the same position as the host player, and hopefully (from the coaches viewpoint) a blue chip recruit (i.e., high 4-star or 5-star) that can potentially be better than the host player, such as (for example) Nuk hosting Sammy on Sammy's official visit or Scott Pagano hosting Dexter Lawrence...

so, by your definition, that's the semblance of a ponzi scheme without cash money being thrown in... not debating, just showing how it can be viewed as a ponzi scheme...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will be very interesting to see how Watson influences Nuk...

Nov 10, 2017, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Will be very interesting to see how Watson influences Nuk... ]

I may be wrong but really can't see DW4 and Nuk, hanging out "off the field" I believe that their individual morals and values are too different. There is no doubt that DW4 would be there for him, I just don't think Nuk would be interested. He has his own agenda. Some people like to wallow in bitterness and resentment, that is where they are comfortable.

Just out of curiosity, where are all the people who were

sanctimonious against those bothered by this? Who insisted "HE'S ALWAYS HONORED HIS HIGH SCHOOL!!!"

Hard to believe that someone from such self-proclaimed humble origins is such a spoiled prima donna.

Also, I'm not sure he knows what the meaning of "Ponzi Scheme" is. Sounds like something an agent told him to leave early.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rong, all colleges are controled by the

Nov 8, 2017, 3:51 PM

aluminatii

Just the science departments not the liberal arts.***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe he is just honoring his H.S. He didn't say that being

Nov 8, 2017, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Just out of curiosity, where are all the people who were ]

hurt by being the number 2 receiver was the reason he sez Daniel. The Tigernet writer took a huge leap there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe he is just honoring his H.S. He didn't say that being

Nov 9, 2017, 10:53 PM

Obviously you didn’t watch the interview. He said that Sammy was always in front of him. His disdain for Clemson was pretty evident

can always count on Obed to give it to you straight***

Nov 8, 2017, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Just out of curiosity, where are all the people who were ]

Wonder what his situation would look like if he didn't go to college? What a stupid comment.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:45 PM

Although I don't get the comparison......If it is indeed a "Ponzi" scheme then Nuk benefits way more than the "average" college student who graduates with tons on debt and without a multi-million dollar job. Nuk acts like an ungrateful, whiny, spoiled, entitled child.

Nov 9, 2017, 10:01 AM

With a terrible attitude and a sense of entitlement just because he can run fast and catch.

I respect his opinion and don't take it personally.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:46 PM

His experience was different than mine. :)

I still look forward to watching him catch Deshaun's passes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I respect his opinion and don't take it personally.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:53 PM

And different than most others as well!! LOL!!!! That is a thing of beauty.

Nov 8, 2017, 7:36 PM [ in reply to I respect his opinion and don't take it personally. ]

Does he not realize there are only about 7.5 billion people in this world who would like to be in his position. He is now a multi-millionaire and Clemson helped him get there. So I do not want to hear this crap from him.....he needs to get over his self and grow up......Go Tigers!!!!!

Nov 8, 2017, 9:42 PM

The LSU win dramatically helped to recruit. The MVP performance broke the ##### 5 game win streak...... so who helped whom?

Nov 10, 2017, 5:44 PM [ in reply to I respect his opinion and don't take it personally. ]

I do not respect his Opinion because what he said about 2nd and 3rd string starts is a lie. He was treated no different than any other player. Plus the fans showed him much love. He came out early for the same reason all players do, MONEY. If it was not for Clemson University he wouldn't be where he is today.
He is a great player with great talent, and he worked very hard for what he has. He deserves to be recognized for that. But try to be honest and don't bad mouth the school that gave you that opportunity.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:46 PM

Lot of respect lost with these comments. Sad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2017, 3:52 PM

Why? Because he didn't sunshine pump his days in college!? Quit crying, you guys only care for the kids when their scoring touchdowns, and making sacks! Soon as they take that orange helmet off you guys turn your back! Chad Kelly, Mike Bellamy, Nuk just to name a few. There's more in this world than Clemson University! Bunch of whiny, entitled fan boys who get butt hurt when a former players doesn't sunshine pump his college career.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:54 PM

Who are those others that you mention?

Nov 8, 2017, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Really? Clemson did everything for him that gave him the opportunity to get into the NFL. He could have went to another school if he hated Clemson so much. No one isn’t disappointed he isn’t sunshine pumping his unevirstiy. People are disappointed that he is saying Clemson did nothing at all for him king coot.

Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:05 PM

Nov 8, 2017, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

I've been to every game this year outside of lousiville, and Kent State but yea I'm a coot!!! I'm just being honest. He never said he hated Clemson, stop putting words in his mouth to fit your weak as narrative! He said he felt like he didn't matter to the coaches, obviously he doesn't matter to you fan boys who turn your back

Nov 8, 2017, 4:14 PM

He meant enough to the coaches to give his #### a free ride through Clemson university correct? That’s an opportunity that most people don’t get. Stop with the entitlement bs my thumbs hurt from TD ing you so much!

You might not be a coot, but you are a troll. Nobody has

Nov 8, 2017, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

"turned their back" on Nuk. HTH

I suppose we shouldn't turn our backs on Nuk...

Nov 8, 2017, 4:26 PM

...should we kneel? Me got's the confused going on. ;)

Nov 8, 2017, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Sounds like he was jealous of Sammy

I agree that it sounds like some jealousy. Probably with

Nov 8, 2017, 5:01 PM

Deshaun getting so much love from Tigers and Texans Nuk feels over shadowed. And Deshaun got so much attention due to the National Championship. I hope he can get past it and have a successful career in the NFL.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Lol jealous of Sammy? Why?

Nov 8, 2017, 6:10 PM

- more attention by the media during his college career
- more throws went his way
- got the higher draft pick (thus the higher contract), yet hasn't been the better of the two in the NFL.
- more talked about by the fans

That's just a few that are/were noticeable.

Nov 8, 2017, 6:39 PM

It's not about the rookie contract, it's about the one that follows your rookie contract.

Nuk's was 5 years for $81 million, I doubt he's bitter that Sammy was drafted 23 spots ahead of him. Especially since his signing bonus was just shy of $4 million.

Nov 8, 2017, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Lol, you are crying way more than everybody else in this thread.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, including Nuk and everybody else on this message board

Nov 8, 2017, 4:04 PM

I could careless what you have to say, honestly... Go jump in line with the rest of grown asz cry babies... Turn your back on him because he didn't say the right things about Clemson ?? Grow up

Nov 8, 2017, 4:47 PM

"I could careless what you have to say, honestly"

The term is couldn't care less. That combined with your inability to use the correct form of "there" tells me there is no way in hell you are a Clemson student.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Nov 8, 2017, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Yeah, we're "turning our backs on him."

I don't even know why he is discussing this with his 5 year $81 million contract. Like he, or his family, are hurting for ANYTHING lol.

Crying about college my ###.

You could care less? Really?

Nov 10, 2017, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

How much less could you care? Lol

LOL! Chad Kelly and Mike Bellamy!***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

null

Sorry bud...

Nov 8, 2017, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

You're very wrong about this. Chad Kelly? Mike Bellamy? Nuk? They all turned their back on Clemson, not the other way around. Clemson did everything in its power to turn these spoiled, entitled brats into not only multi-millionaires, but (more importantly) men of character, honor, and integrity. All 3 of these "men" (I use that term very loosely) wanted no part of any of that but the money.

Unless you're trolling (which I'm pretty much convinced you are), you need to get your facts straight.

You're as freakin delusional as they get...***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Tell us about your days at Clemson.

Nov 8, 2017, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Oh wait.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 9, 2017, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

You are obviously not a Clemson fan. Go to whatever cess pool you pull for

Wise up on Ponzi scheme definition

Nov 8, 2017, 3:47 PM

Nuk invested effort in the Hopkins Brand. Clemson invested in the Hopkins Brand development. Houston bought the product!

A real enterprise with real product. Not Ponzi, but capitalism. Beautiful thing.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:53 AM

Now I understand why he doesn't say Clemson during the section where the player's announce where they are from. He always reps Daniel HS, which if obviously fine, but wondered why he never gave Clemson any love. This answers it.

was waiting to read a ..

Nov 8, 2017, 3:53 PM

"theres no i in team but there ###### sure is a me" from him as well..what a ###### nozzle.

Plz move to “Pros and Other” bored.

Nov 8, 2017, 3:58 PM

K thanks bye.

"...I felt like I was the red-headed stepchild..."

Nov 8, 2017, 3:59 PM

Since Nuk used this as a negative thing, I hope all red-headed step children are as offended as he gets over nothing and he has to issue an apology.

^^^WOKE***

I agree with him up to a point...

Nov 8, 2017, 4:01 PM

Clemson provided him with the opportunity to prove himself to NFL teams that he could play at that level. He "may" be disappointed that he was not showcased as the #1 guy at Clemson therefore it deprived him of the opportunity to get a contract the size that Sammy got when he was drafted. IMO that what this sounds like. He has clearly has had the better NFL career. In the end he will probably make more than Sammy in the NFL, especially with this next contract. If that is what it takes to keep him motivated, good for him.

Personally, I don't agree with his analogy with a ponzi scheme. To me college football is more like sharecropping. Students athletes have to produce results in the way of athletic feats in exchange for the "free" education. That education is not free by any means. Just like sharecropping farmers had to work the land but pay the landlord from their profits to use the land. Just like baron landowners with their vast land holdings, university athletic departments need young men/women to perform in order to get the value out of their investment in their facilities.

However, Hopkins needs to realize that the vast majority of men and women would never have the opportunity for the free education if it wasn't for their athletic ability. They are paid performers sharecropping their talents in exchange for an education. For those that don't get the millions from professional sports, hopefully the education will benefit them by allowing them to provide for themselves with the education they received.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

So, we should have given him 40 mules and an acre of land?***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:05 PM

Now that's funny***

Nov 8, 2017, 6:15 PM

L O L

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, we should have given him 40 mules and an acre of land?***

Nov 8, 2017, 7:20 PM [ in reply to So, we should have given him 40 mules and an acre of land?*** ]

No, that was Danny, not Nuk.

It boils down to this for ANY college athlete-

Nov 8, 2017, 4:11 PM [ in reply to I agree with him up to a point... ]

Their decision to partake in college athletics is consensual. If they don't like working hard to only get a free ride, then they can quit the sport, and pay for it like the rest of us do.

WOW!!! Sir, a very big reach there.***

Nov 8, 2017, 6:54 PM [ in reply to I agree with him up to a point... ]

Nov 8, 2017, 4:03 PM

Reading this really disappoints me. Clemson and it's fans love Nuk and what he did for Clemson university and it's football program. I felt like Nuk and Sammy were both #1.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2017, 4:20 PM

I teach at a local technical college. Reading his comments makes me reply as follows:

Nuke grow up! Quit thinking you are entitled! We all have our outlook on life, but your attitude is one poor example to others who would love to have the opportunity you had to achieve your current position in life.

I would strongly recommend you ask former Tiger players why they returned to finish their education at Clemson. You just might figure out some lessons in life which will serve you well later long after football is done.

Lastly bitterness gets you nowhere inspite of the feelings of regret. I sincerely hope you turn your life around when a true trial tests your perspective and well being.

You have my prayers.

Nov 8, 2017, 6:14 PM

Awesome!!! Couldn't have said it any better. Great post!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess I was duped too. Education gives you perspective, maybe you need to go and finish.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A first for me but if I can't say something nice I'm just

not going to say it. That is all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very disappointing. I remember..

when he decided to leave early he was very gracious to Clemson. He even said he would be buried in an orange casket.
What changed?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Re: Very disappointing. I remember..

I thought that was obvious.

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=22532804

Re: Very disappointing. I remember..

Nov 8, 2017, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Very disappointing. I remember.. ]

He was sunshine pumping......Before the draft........$$$$$$$$$$ changed him

Well Nuk doesnt seem to know what a Ponzi scheme

Is.

Bet he and Sammy are real close friends .***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:07 PM

Nuk felt he was second receiver on the team

Nov 8, 2017, 4:08 PM

He's like second receiver in the history of Clemson football! Then he says he was a red-headed stepchild, but says we wanted him back in 2013 to win a Natty. Why would we care if he didn't matter? After all, Sammy was still here in 2013.

I'd love to hear Sammy's take on all this. Some people are just bitter.

He's a proud guy. Funny how you make the leap from

Nov 8, 2017, 4:10 PM

him saying Daniel H.S.and tying that to him not liking being the number two receiver. He didn't say that.

He wanted to be the number one guy. Sammy was the number 1 guy. He was hurt by this. Nothing wrong with being honest.

Oh come on . . .

Nov 8, 2017, 4:39 PM

No one said there was anything wrong with being honest. It's not the candor folks are criticizing, it's the underlying opinion he was candid about that folks are criticizing. Also, no one is criticizing the competitive desire to be the top receiver on the team. That much is fine. But the idea that not being the top guy equates to the sort of mistreatment that makes you the "red-headed step-child," well, that's just childish. WANT to be the top guy, strive to be, and be disappointed if you're not, that's all good. But don't act like falling short is tantamount to an injustice.

Nov 8, 2017, 4:11 PM

Wow am I glad now I was only able to get Watson to sign my Clemson Football when I went to Texans training camp this past summer.

Nov 8, 2017, 4:11 PM

Hopkins was also one of the few critical of Dabo over his comments concerning Martin Luther King. Remember? He said that Dabo should shut up about things that he did not know much about. I lost respect then. His latest comments do not surprise me. Ungrateful and entitled.

I bet Dabo had it lot harder than Nuk...

Nov 8, 2017, 4:15 PM

Dabo's upbringing wasn't necessarily the best...what's Nuk cryin' about?

I wish Nuk nothing but the best, but I will never understand nor respect

Nov 8, 2017, 4:19 PM

this point of view. You got a full ride, the OPPORTUNITY to get an education, the best training available, you were cheered on by 70,000 fans and were ta big man on campus for three years, then you moved on to your chosen profession, obviously well prepared, and you flourished.

People always like to tell you how hard the football players work. And I don't deny it. But he worked hard because he received about $25k in free tuition and board, and because working hard led to his multi-million dollar career. For his classmate who wasn't good at football, he would rack up about $25k per year in debt...any job he would take wouldn't get him near that if he put in the same time as a football player puts into football. And if he quit in three years he'd get nothing out of it.

Sad. Just so sad. But like I said, Nuk, go get 'em. Your Junior year you caught 82 passes versus Sammy's 57, but I guess people were still talking about Sammy after his great freshman season, and you couldn't take that.

null

No doubt...and no one forces SA's to major in something that

Nov 8, 2017, 4:27 PM

won't produce a job if they don't make it in the NFL. Try busting your a$$ in engineering instead. I paid for my college with loans and four-years in the military.
Privileged, spoiled and misguided but I wish him the best and hope that DW4 puts some perspective on him.

Nov 8, 2017, 4:21 PM

I have heard multiple people say he was tough to deal with. He was a first round draft pick. Clemson was instrumental in getting him to where he needed to be

Nuk, you're an unintelligent ignorant punk***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:25 PM

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Nov 8, 2017, 4:29 PM

Here's my opinion of what's going on here....

College football fans are without a doubt the most passionate of all the fans in the country. Because of this they spend a significant amount of time/money on this passion, and likely allow something they have limited ability to improve (we are not on the team) to dominate too much of their lives. We've allowed the money in the system to escalate to ridiculous levels, which has trickled down from universities to the coaches/facilities, but not the players.

When athletes leave the system and enter the same socio-economic class of everyone they were looking up at, they can see that it was in fact a ponzi scheme.....and they apparently were the last ones to buy in.

College sports rely significantly on ESPN money, which clearly won't be around forever. It's a bubble and, like all bubbles, it will pop. I hope Clemson has paid off all of their debt by then. If we haven't we'll be the poster child for this insanity. As a smaller D1 school, we do not have the alumni base of larger ones. Because of this we don't have as many people to ask money of. We did finance many of the facilities just built...in fact, D Rad said they "couldn't pass up the low interests rates of bonds at the time". By the way, he also left tech with a ton of debt.

I don't know about you, but I watch the players, not the coaches. Last I checked, the general manager at Houston doesn't make what Nuk makes. We allowed the coaches salaries to become ridiculous by continuing to support our schools even as they spent money like drunken sailors. It will be our fault when a court rules student athletes aren't really students at all, and should be compensated. That is when it all explodes.

For the record, student athletes were first given that title by the NCAA because they didn't want a football player that broke his neck to be eligible for workers comp....just the facts.

Well that is one long, ignorant response.

Nov 8, 2017, 6:29 PM

First, you're all over the place. Which doesn't surprise me. This happens when you want Nuk to be right but can't defend his position. So you throw as many negatives at the other party until surely they MUST be guilty.

Second, are you sure you know what a ponzi scheme is? If so, can you explain how this is a Ponzi scheme?

Third..,Google "college football" and "ESPN" and then explain to me how college football has been around since 1869"needs" an entity that has been around since 1979. THEN, Do some more research on cord cutting and the multitude of avenues that are becoming available to show the games. Next, do some research on the hundreds of "talent" employees they've fired to cut costs and ask yourself "why haven't they just cut back on showing college football games"?

Fourth...and I'll repeat this until I'm blue in the face (apparently). College football players are not underpaid. It's possible they are overpaid. Find me a single college football team in the country that is waiving around a scholarship and not getting any takers. Heck, show me a program that doesn't have walk-ons. Are the Ivy League teams having trouble fielding a team? Because they don't even offer athletic scholarships. How about I show you the tens of thousands of high school kids who would give their little finger for a scholarship to ANYWHERE to play football.

Fifth...you watch the players, not the coaches? What does this mean? That coaches don't impact the team? And if Nuk is making more than his coach, again, on behalf of Clemson I say he's welcome.

Finally, please provide a link to the genesis of the term "student athlete". Just the facts, please.

null

Well thank you Nuk, that actually has me thinking about what can you do for me as one of your long time fans, and what can I do for you as one of your long times fans, and it actually has me feeling like I'm in a Ponzi scheme bc, I'm the only one dishing out money on your college #6 and your Pro #10 jerseys. The more of your #6 and #10 jerseys sold, the more that certain Brands would choose you to help sell their Brand gear, advertisers see you as someone they would pay for you to just say that you wear their brand. There are pro players that actually still love Clemson that maybe wasn't as good as you were. But the fact that they love and appreciate everything that Clemson offered them for just playing the game that they loved at the school they loved, I think that would appreciate my loyalty for them much more than you ever will. Your number, CJ's number, Ben's number, and DW4 number is the only jersey numbers I've personally ever bought. Now that I know your feelings about Clemson, #6 and #10 just got deleted from the jersey numbers that I ever buy again bc if it was for Clemson, I wouldn't have ever had your number to begin with. To be a 100% honest, I'm feeling real good right now knowing that my wife is getting rid of #6 and #10 out of my closet as I'm typing this. No hard feeling bc it won't ever hurt you at all, but it does make me feel better knowing that I'm not going to support anyone that don't support Clemson in a positive way. Your HS coaches helped you to get to Clemson, but it was Clemson coaches that 100% helped you get to the NFL with a lot of hard work from you of course, but it was Clemson coaches that taught you to work hard the right way!!!

I respect him for being transparent with his thinking

He thinks players should get paid more - I get that. I respect that he has his own opinion.

The part I don't respect is the "I was supposed to be THE man". Well you were the man your freshman and junior years.

Maybe he got a lot of push back when he declared early from the locals? Anyway, I understand the point about time to get paid after he year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Idiots like this . . .

are hopefully getting screened out more often now that Turnipseed is doing his thing.

I mean, seriously, if Nuk's family was STILL eating ramen noodles - as in they already were BEFORE he got to Clemson, and STILL were after, then how is the debt Clemson's fault? I mean, was he living the frickin' high life at Daniel High, only to have his family sink into poverty when he got to Clemson? Man, if this isn't entitlement mentality to the Nth degree, then I don't know what is.

Him leaving early b/c of his family's situation is ENTIRELY understandable and justifiable. If you/your family are in that kind of situation, then who can blame you for doing what you have to do address your family's needs sooner rather than later? But the assumption that Clemson was supposed to serve as some sort of financial sugar daddy, and that the fact that it didn't constitutes leaving him in debt, is an insult and a joke. If that's his attitude, then I'm tickled pink that he disowns us. The only greater shame is if someone with that mentality was considered one of us.

Re: Idiots like this . . .

Nov 8, 2017, 7:00 PM

> Him leaving early b/c of his family's situation is
> ENTIRELY understandable and justifiable. If you/your
> family are in that kind of situation, then who can
> blame you for doing what you have to do address your
> family's needs sooner rather than later? But the
> assumption that Clemson was supposed to serve as some
> sort of financial sugar daddy, and that the fact that
> it didn't constitutes leaving him in debt, is an
> insult and a joke. If that's his attitude, then I'm
> tickled pink that he disowns us. The only greater
> shame is if someone with that mentality was
> considered one of us.

Absolutely!!!

He could learn a thing or two from DW

Nov 8, 2017, 4:31 PM

He's got a lot of growing up to do. Why even make comments like that? Do they help you in any way? Nope. All they do is bring negative attention but then again...that's probably all he wants...attention.

Re: He could learn a thing or two from DW

Nov 8, 2017, 4:45 PM

Having DW right there living and acting like a man should is probably eating his guts. "Let your light so shine..."

It has to be tough to be in that spotlight.

Re: He could learn a thing or two from DW

Nov 8, 2017, 7:07 PM [ in reply to He could learn a thing or two from DW ]

Yes, but doesn't it make you feel kind of dirty knowing that is how he associated himself with us after all that Clemson and coaches done for him. It's a good thing that he didn't know how to word what he wanted people to see and believe, because he really smeared the smut on himself!!!

Nov 8, 2017, 4:32 PM

I thought he referenced Daniel High School because that was the only school from which he had a diploma! I remember many afternoons when 80,000 fans chanted Nuk/Nuk. Memories are very short I suppose.
Mr. Hopkins would not be where he is today without the opportunity he was given at Clemson. Nuk - thank you for the 3 years. Clemson had a number of outstanding WR’s while you were there. WRU!!
All I can say is Go Tigers!

When you basically flip off the family after you ride off to greener pastures

Nov 8, 2017, 4:38 PM

One hopes you have a better reason than you feel another player got more limelight than you did.

Come clean. What's happened between you and Clemson since the days when 80,000 adoring fans screamed NUK every time you touched the ball? Did you harbor animosity then and just hide it?

This just doesn't add up. Or maybe your comments weren't meant to be as ungrateful and bitter as they came off.

Wow. Disappointing on many levels.

Nov 8, 2017, 4:40 PM

Yeah, it's just so unfair to feel like you are not a priority. BOOOOO HOOOOO!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Nov 8, 2017, 4:41 PM

That’s what “bite the hand that feeds you” reads like in paragraph form, right?

No comment

Nov 8, 2017, 4:47 PM

I don't want this to become a big deal. TDs to everyone.

TD bandit reveals his identity.***

Nov 8, 2017, 5:19 PM

Re: No comment

Nov 8, 2017, 6:16 PM [ in reply to No comment ]

That sucks!! Way to look at life. Your glass isn't half empty, it's empty!

Nov 8, 2017, 4:54 PM

Nuk is a freakin moron. The more that guy talks, the dumber he sounds. Sad he has ties to my university. Embarrassing.

I don't know how you can say that.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:21 PM

I think he pretty much untied his relationship with Clemson University with those statements. I suspect we'll always remember him as one of the best WRs in our history though.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:01 PM

Sounds like a spoiled rich brat.Shut up and count your money.You become the best by being the best.If you feel that way about Clemson University,screw you ! I will now think of you as a disloyal ###### bag.

Nuk, why don't you love us?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

The definition of awesome!

2012 Hopkins and Watkins stats:

Nuk had 82 receptions for 1,405 yards and 18 TDs.

Watkins had 57 receptions for 708 yards and 3 TDs.

No other WRs had more than 350 yards on the team (a group that included future NFLers in Martavis Bryant, Adam Humphries Humphries, Jaron Brown, and Charone Peake).

What is he talking about being the 2nd or 3rd WR on the team? That couldn't be further from the truth.

WRs have always been me-first/selfish players. I still love Hopkins, but that's some revisionist history.

Re: 2012 Hopkins and Watkins stats:

Nov 10, 2017, 3:17 PM

I think he is Smok'in what he's Selling (At least at Daniel and Clemson)

Link to the Podcast

Nov 8, 2017, 5:03 PM

Here is the link to the podcast: https://www.battleredblog.com/2017/11/8/16622420/deandre-hopkins-on-arian-fosters-podcast

I’m not sure who I’m most disappointed in but it is certainly disappointing.

I didn’t know Clemson had “projects” - where are they? Nuk said he lived in them in Clemson and said it was dangerous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would urge everyone to listen to this

Nov 8, 2017, 7:25 PM

Nov 8, 2017, 5:04 PM

Delivered Greenville News from Newry to Seneca (7days/week, 4:30-7am), worked as laborer for Daniel Construction and then LBJ drafted me. We all do what we must, Nuk. I thank Clemson for what turned out to be a great educational experience and start in life!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i am afraid your generation was the last great

Nov 8, 2017, 7:38 PM

American generation. Seems today people feel they are entitled to everything. Frankly, I wish the NFL would get a minor league and let the kids who appreciate college play. Some people are too dumb to take advantage of getting an education, It’s all about me, me me today.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:09 PM

College is something one does to improve oneself. Maybe he forgot his baptism in front of the team. Maybe he forgot his drug arrest. Or maybe he learned alot of things that he’s since forgot. I didn’t forget that he took issue with Dabo last year about the kneeling comments and our flag. Thank you for your effort at Clemson and cheers to gaining back your memory.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:13 PM

I can remember taking my son to a Tiger practice with his Y flag football team. We got Taj's photo and I believe Sammy's.... We saw NUk walking past the tomb stones. He stated he was a local and kept walking. We knew who he was, but unlike the other two players, he didn't have that touch that can melt a kid's heart. His statement, at the time seemed to be envious of the other players getting attention. That stuck with me... We had no intention of dissing him, and probably could have approached him with more admiration, we just went where we felt welcomed. I believe he has given back to the local schools and such, and admire him for that. Red headed step child? I can see that from the experience, but it is a two way street. Good luck and thanks for the memories!!!
Oh, and by the way, a four year athlete at Clemson receives about a million dollars in benefits. With tuition, room and very generous board, stipend, clothes, travel, tutors and other perks.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:18 PM

I read Nuk's comments about what else Clemson could do for him, and then I read the following story about Sean Pollard and how he found something to do for others.

http://bleacherreport.com/clemson-football

You tell me who gets it and who doesn't!

Nov 8, 2017, 5:19 PM

Let's try this again...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21274335/how-o-lineman-rallied-clemson-tackle-pediatric-cancer

I don't have a problem with what he said.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:45 PM

He's been back to many games. Families always fight or disagree. I can see how Sammy got a lot of attention.

Still love the guy.

Disagree with Nuk, but he’s entitled to his opinion

Nov 8, 2017, 6:06 PM

Will not make me like him any less as a former Tiger.

Nov 8, 2017, 6:05 PM

I would get upset, but then I think about 4th & 16 against LSU in the Peach Bowl, and all is forgiven.

If he was in debt when he left Clemson...

Nov 8, 2017, 6:09 PM

that is his own #### fault. His tuition, books, medical, food and housing were paid for. Every player gets money for clothing. They get pell grants based on their parent's earnings. With everything else paid for, this is free spending...about $5000 or more a year. They get a group together and rent apartments or houses. The rent is divided by the number of people staying there. But the housing allowance is still the same for each player. They have more spending money than they need. So if he was in debt when he left, that is on him

Nov 8, 2017, 6:17 PM

We're always the last to know ... Nuk, in fact, YOU WERE THE MAN!!! :)

The problem is, ALL the other teams knew that too, and they tried their best to cover you like a blanket!! How many double teams did you have during your time on the field? You still got open and had a boatload of catches ... and touchdowns! What a performance by a great Clemson Man and player!

But also being the top receiver means you sometimes are going to be a decoy. You've got to take the bullet for the team -- drag the defenders away and create a mismatch for your teammate. And having another top receiver means it's going to be hard for any team to cover both of you, and they are going to JOIN YOU in the limelight. Spotlights are pretty big -- there usually is enough room for several stars ... That's also where you develop your leadership skills ...

It just so happens that another great receiver stepped on campus -- Sammy -- and showed the same quality that you displayed even though he was a year younger. He was the 'New Kid in Town' ... there are songs written about that ... it's been happening forever. And he was good, and delivered ... just like you did.

Fans loved him, just like they loved you. Clemson fans have plenty of love to go around for all our boys, from the top stars, to the scout team lineman. We know you all work just as hard, but not everyone gets the opportunities you got, or even the playing time. Some worked every day for years and never stepped on the field in a real game. (I know how that feels all too well for another sport at Clemson.)

But maybe there was also something else at work. Some players think they have 'arrived' and lose that hunger to work and improve -- not saying you did, but I've coached plenty of kids that have lost the hunger and get overshadowed by kids that work harder. Maybe one or two coaches who wanted to keep your fire burning bright, keep you hungry and not satisfied by not letting you think you were IT, has helped you get to where you are today. To whom much is given, much is expected.

Nuk, you were always one of my favorites ... still are ... and you have soared in the NFL. There's no doubt the sky is the limit for you ... keep that hunger, and good luck!

Social media can be good AND bad, and you are a person that people listen to, and will react to. Your backing Tom Savage as a leader on your team is TOTALLY reasonable and the right thing to do. Opposition is best left in the meeting rooms and I have no doubt you voiced your opinion to the right people. That is the process.

We all are shaped by our experiences and I believe it is up to us on how we choose to allow those to shape us. I prefer to keep the Positive ones and incorporate them into my life, and learn from, but discard the negative ones. Sometimes we need to just not worry about what people think and say. Sometimes we should just go about our business humbly and with a joyful heart.

Through my years I've learned that relationships are the true treasures of life. Clemson Tiger Nation loves you Nuk ... Some day we hope you love us back!

Once a Tiger, ALWAYS a Tiger! :D GO TIGERS!!!

Nov 8, 2017, 6:27 PM

Get over yourself Nuk. Coaches wanted you to come back because you were a borderline 1st rounder when yshe u were drafted and guess what - they were right! Had you stayed maybe you would've been a top 10 pick instead of a late first rounder.

And what about the FANS who supported you every Saturday? Those comments are a slap in the face to everyone.

I really enjoyed watching Nuk play...he was a great WR but

Nov 8, 2017, 6:34 PM

there is a reason that he was the #2 receiver behind Sammy....and it has nothing to do with red hair.

I'm sure Nuk doesn't care about my opinions on anything. The feeling is mutual.

That’s a really disappointing story

Nov 8, 2017, 6:38 PM

Nov 8, 2017, 6:44 PM

I'm not sure that he knows what a Ponzi Scheme is.

Yeah I’d like to find one where I end up with $81 mil***

Nov 8, 2017, 6:48 PM

Nuk = immaturity + lack of class.

Nov 8, 2017, 7:03 PM

He is entitled to his opinion, but he comes across like an ungrateful jerk. Clemson provided him the rare opportunity to play football and get an outstanding education for free. He played for some of the best coaches in the business. He had access to excellent trainers, nutrition, weight facilities, study halls, tutors, etc. The outcome, as a result of Clemson taking a chance on him and providing these top resources, was an NFL talent. Nuk is now worth millions. Yes, he has worked hard, but without Clemson, he wouldn't have had any of that.

I don't know where the apparent disdain for Clemson comes from. There is clearly more to the story, but Nuk's jealousy and/or resentment are obvious. The truth of the matter is that Clemson was very good to Nuk, and also that Sammy was a better receiver in college. Still, that did not prevent Nuk from being a top player in college, set all kinds of records, and be a high draft pick.

Hopefully, he will grow up in the years to come and stop being such a baby. It is fitting that his nickname is Nuk, since that is a brand of pacifier. Really stupid nickname, by the way.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

This generations sense of entitlement is stunning

Nov 8, 2017, 7:24 PM

We need another world war and Great Depression to get people back to reality

Nov 8, 2017, 7:25 PM

get over it Nuk.............that ponzi scheme is now helping him make millions and millions of dollars........Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 8, 2017, 7:32 PM

Maybe the money CU spent on Nuk could have been used to educate someone that finds a cure for cancer? We'll never know now. Hopkins obviously didn't turn Clemson down and should appreciate the opportunity he was given. Who used whom? Grow up and be thankful for how you got to where you are!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2017, 7:35 PM

As a red headed step child, I am offended by ole perpetually butt hurt Nuk...Red Headed Step Children Lives Matter...

Nuk NOT bashing Clemson, but the NCAA

Nov 8, 2017, 7:38 PM

If you watch the interview, Nuk has a problem with college football in general, not what happened at Clemson. He would have liked to (1) get paid and (2) be with a program where he could be the #1 guy, neither one of which is possible in college football.

He said nothing that was specifically anti-Clemson at all.

Yep, Arian Foster set Nuk up to bash the NCAA

Nov 8, 2017, 7:58 PM

Arian Foster's remarks to Nuk were "The NCAA is a bunch of pimps and the Athletes are the horse (sic).

I'm disappointed in Nuk's comments, but watching the podcast helped me understand the context.

And, Nuk did not address why he says "Daniel High School" rather than Clemson in his NFL opening introductions on TV. To think these podcast comments are the answer behind his "Daniel High School" comments is only speculation by TigerNet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2017, 7:40 PM

Several years back when I met Nuk at the baseball game in Cootlumbia, and I said after that I thought that he was a good kid. I should have known that he was so nice was bc he was looking for some top romen to take back home. He figured that coots would have plenty of it ;)

#### Nuk. I paid CU $$$ to get an education to get me a job

Nov 8, 2017, 7:46 PM

you paid CU practice and game time to get a job and, if you want, finish your education later. Give something, get something. 2 way street. What's the problem?

Re: #### Nuk. I paid CU $$$ to get an education to get me a job

Nov 8, 2017, 7:50 PM

Oops that looks way worse than I intended it. It was "D a m n, Nuk". Not Eff Nuk

Why didn't Nuk turn down the scholarship and let someone

Nov 8, 2017, 7:57 PM

else have it? I mean why would he sign on for such a thing? What did it ever do for him? Gee, I can't think of anything.

Sounds like perception and reality are many miles apart

for him. Reality will set in, one day.

Thanks Nuk for setting such a good example and convincing other young kids from low-income families to go to college. You really made it sound appealing. I bet young men and women who look up to you are going to be so much better off by having a sour opinion towards going to college. SMH

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2017, 10:35 PM

I could not agree more. Here's a guy that has the microphone, and says this... Pathetic.

Dunk him in the horse trough again,

Nov 8, 2017, 7:59 PM

Hold him under until he realizes how much the Clemson experience benefitted him. Lol

Nov 8, 2017, 8:14 PM

Nuuuuuuuuuk=Dooooooooooosh

I received a text re: Ponzi schemes***

Nov 8, 2017, 8:15 PM

Nuk Hopkins Thinks he's too good for us

Nov 8, 2017, 8:16 PM

I say we win another National Championship.

I'm pulling for

Hunter Renfrow

And let's see where Nuk is in 25 years!!! Dang, should have

Nov 8, 2017, 8:22 PM

gotten that Ponzi scheme education after all!!

You can take the boy outta the country, but . . . . . . . . .

Way to represent Nuk!!

Nov 8, 2017, 9:04 PM

I was a big fan of Nuk while at Clemson, and still am in the NFL. However, this shouldn't surprise anyone. He's always had this negative "the world isn't fair to me" attitude.

Do you not remember how he'd treat the media at Clemson? Of course they gave more attention to Sammy. Sammy was nice and personable. Do you recall what he said to the media on his last interview, thus recognizing that he was difficult to talk to?

Do you remember his comments about those gambling sites (fan duel, draft king) about people making money off him and he doesn't get any (failed to realize that they're betting, so they can lose too).

Or his dismissive comments about Dabo when Dabo said he didn't agree with the kneeling. Didn't even aknowledge Dabo's opinion. Had no respect for him.

He didn't support his fellow Clemson tiger in Watson by backing up savage and saying "If anybody should be a judge of quarterbacks, I've played with the most quarterbacks in NFL history throughout my first four years, So I put the stamp on Savage, and I think that's all that needs to be said about that." Again, he's wrong. So wrong that he "stamped" a journeyman ahead of a fellow tiger who would later take the NFL by storm.

He's said his narrative several times. During Super Bowl weekend he made a snarky comment during an interview that it was good to be the #1 receiver because he wasn't in the past in College.

Jeff Scott helped transform him into the skilled WR he is today. And clemson put him on the national stage to highlight those skills (see LSU orange bowl). Couldn't have hurt that bad Nuk, you were a 1st round draft pick. To think at that time, when we were winning several games that this was on his mind. What a shame.

You chose Clemson Nuk, you signed the LoI. I think he'll regret this later when he's more mature and realize he's hurting the Clemson family (including Sammy) by acting this way.

Hmm. Can you not see some of his point? If there is

Nov 8, 2017, 11:05 PM

$10-12m to go around for coaches and he gets to go to class, it does seem sorta unfair. Take yourself out of the fan role and put of the role of this system being tradition, it really doesn’t make total sense.

Nov 8, 2017, 11:31 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Nuk Hopkins compares college to Ponzi scheme ]

Lost all credit when you said LSU and the Orange Bowl

Nov 8, 2017, 9:28 PM

I guess what he says is true, but he is where he is today because of what he now seems to hate.

Nov 8, 2017, 9:34 PM

I understand his frustration. College is boom or bust for a lot of people. But what I think he meant to say is that even more than athletes, regular people get taken for a financial ride that is a losing game.

Nov 8, 2017, 10:14 PM

Well f u

While i know he got some benefits, definitely see how he

Nov 8, 2017, 11:02 PM

could have that opinion. The players are given scholarships and the top 5% at clemson do get a couple years in the nfl and the top .5% get his careee, but assistants now get 300k-$1.5m and Dabo gets a 20k sq ft house that he pays for with his $7m a year (or whatever he’s paid now).

No one is saying that coaches don’t deserve the money, but if they could get by with a measly $2m at the HC level and scaled down, maybe players could benefit just a little more.

What other benefits are you even talking about?

Nov 8, 2017, 11:25 PM

Re: What other benefits are you even talking about?

Nov 9, 2017, 12:11 AM

And they work hard for what they get. The players work countless hours. They suffer injuries that affect them the rest of their life. If their families can't financially help them, they really have no money.

Nuk, imagine having to pay for tuition, food, tutors, shoes,

Nov 8, 2017, 11:11 PM

shorts, warmup suites, t-shirts, football tickets, basketball tickets, official visits to colleges, trips to road football games. Imagine not making millions of dollars out of college. Imagine having to go to college for 4 or 5 or 6 years.

Sorry everyone thought Sammy was special. He was special. And for the record, I always thought you were THE most sure-handed receiver EVER at Clemson. You were idolized by many Clemson fans.

Most students don't have tens of thousands of fans cheering for them. In fact, most never have ANYONE cheering for them.

Sorry you didn't love your time at Clemson. I love Clemson, and value my time as a student there. I hope time will change your perspective.

PS: You've already made more money than most college graduates will make in 40+ years of employment. I hope you are saving your money, investing wisely, and donating to IPTAY.

SHAME on Clemson for wanting a National Championship

Nov 8, 2017, 11:20 PM

Sorry you didn't stay one more year. You might have won a national championship.

And most students understand their their tuition is a small price to pay for an education that will boost their career. Allow them to learn what they need to know to be successful in life. College is not for everyone one. But I would like for my doctors, presidents, ministers, financial advisors to have an education. In fact, I wish everyone could be educated.

Nov 8, 2017, 11:42 PM

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Sammy is still my favorite...

Nov 9, 2017, 12:32 AM

Nuke was a very important piece of the puzzle in building this dynamic team Clemson is today. Just as much as anybody on the team. However, I don't understand his bitterness. Seems to me there may be some other issues. First he is bitter towards Dabo, saying that Dabo can't speak on "black issues" and now this... Pray for Nuke!

Boy, do I ever regret cheering for him as much as I did

Nov 9, 2017, 1:06 AM

and picking him 1st on my fantasy football league team because I knew he would tear it up in the NFL when no one else outside of Clemson even knew who he was. I knew something was up with him when he didn’t say Clemson for his pregame introductions (and still doesn’t). You just lost a fan, Nuk. And it’s even worse because a GREAT Clemson man, Deshaun Watson, is now throwing you passes in the NFL. It is this exact sense of entitlement that is killing the NFL and society. He’s old enough to know better. He casts a negative light on my University and that is unsettling.

Nov 9, 2017, 6:29 AM

Suck it up, buttercup!!!! 70% of college students graduate with debt! Currently, students in America owe $1.45 trillion in student loans! This is the epitome of entitlement! If you wanted to be first on the team, maybe you should have worked harder! Ugh!

What he said just saddens me - I have nothing more to say

Nov 9, 2017, 8:29 AM

He's a great player and I wish him the best.

Ponzi Scheme?? When you are on scholarship??

Nov 9, 2017, 8:34 AM

Why does this make me feel like Nuk wants to take a knee? Seriously?? Clemson has always been 110% behind you and this was what was in your head? Thanks-we all really appreciate your loyalty to the people and place that put you in the spotlight. If, and I say if, this is all true, 130 miles SE would have been a better fit.

Nov 9, 2017, 8:44 AM

Wanted to play basketball at Clemson and was allowed to do so.Less time devoted to football skill developments allowed other players to get more attention.He may have had great hands, but I still remember him dropping three passes on third down crucial situations against the team from Columbia.

What bitter millionaire! Clemson gave you the exposure

Nov 9, 2017, 9:28 AM

to end up getting drafted. Yes, you would probably have succeeded anywhere you went to school, but sound ungrateful. I am sensitive to not having enough and understand you needing to leave early, but Clemson did not run you into the ground or anything like that. You are healthy enough to be successful and work hard in the NFL, which proves Clemson did no wrong.

But, you cannot possibly sit there and tell me you have some gripe because everyone saw Sammy as no. 1. That's life and you have found a team where you are no. 1 now, so good job! Sammy was electric and us fans saw in him the same explosiveness we saw in CJ. Not everyone is no. 1, you have to earn it like did now.

The most important thing is... Clemson does love you, but you can't throw shade at us buddy!

Nov 9, 2017, 9:28 AM

Nov 9, 2017, 10:38 AM

NUK

####!

You sound like a jealous little child. Take the skirt off and put your big boy pants on.

Says the man who was on full scholarship

Nov 9, 2017, 10:41 AM

Obviously didn't pick up too much knowledge during his short stay at Clemson.

I see.

Nov 9, 2017, 4:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYXxp3PM5Ck

Nov 9, 2017, 4:30 PM

Nuk, in the eyes of the Clemson Fans and coaches was a priority. Hate he feels this way. Nuk, is a great young man. I just hate he felt he was second to anyone on the Clemson team. Hate he feels this way. Hope someday he will be proud of being a Tiger as he looked back on his years @ Clemson!!!! Nuk, U are defiantly loved by the fans and coaches @ Clemson. People may be taking offense when no offense was meant. I'm sure coaches @ Clemson knew who he was and they did every thing they could to help him to grow into the type of player he is. Nuk, we love you. May you find peace with us.

Thank Clemson and Sammy for putting a chip on your shoulder

Nov 9, 2017, 4:46 PM

I've learned that sometimes you need a person, company, school, coach, etc to doubt you in order to light an internal fire to not only prove them wrong, but push yourself beyond what you thought even your own limits were. Look at some of the great receivers Clemson and other colleges have had that didn't carry the work ethic (on and off the field) with them to the pros because they were the star in college and ended up having a shorter career than they should have had (Rod Gardner, James Davis both come to mind).

I'm glad he did what is best for him and his family and is having such success in the NFL now. He'll always be a Clemson tiger to us, though.

Re: Thank Clemson and Sammy for putting a chip on your shoulder

Nov 10, 2017, 3:27 PM

Define "us". If he doesnt want to be a Tiger then F the spoiled brat. Dead to me. So remove me from "us".

Nov 9, 2017, 10:35 PM

Sounds like Nuk is a little bitter or jealous of Sammy. He obviously played enough to get highly drafted. I guess this is why he never mentions Clemson. Didn’t he call Clemson the school that he attend without naming them

Nov 10, 2017, 3:20 PM

Nuke is one of the best Clemson players ever. He is also correct that schools and coaches making millions.
This will not last forever and you can be sure it will collapse at some point.

Nov 10, 2017, 3:51 PM

I live in AustIn and plan on going to a Texan game to see Deshaun Watson play next season now that he is injured. I would have cheered also for NUK, but now that I understand his feelings about Clemson, not a fan anymore. He is a rebel, he also missed practice intentionally after the owner made the inmate comment about the national anthem. He has a chip on his shoulder and needs to transfer the blame elsewhere. Sad, he only makes 48 million with his new contract. I feel sorry for him.

Replies: 225
| visibility 351
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic