Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IV'E GOT THE CONFUSE, AGAIN...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,057

IV'E GOT THE CONFUSE, AGAIN...

Jan 7, 2016, 7:13 AM

In case some of you missed it last night, the ESPN "Experts", you know, the same ones that pushed Derrick Henry for the last two months of the season, well guess what they have to say now?

"Henry will probably be a late 2nd round or early 3rd round pick in the draft this year".

WHAT?!?!?!!? This is the player that you pushed as "THE BEST IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL", and now you tell me that nobody in the NFL will want him until the 2nd or 3rd round???

Confused doesn't begin to describe how I feel right now!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sec push gets them more money. Nfl not so much.

Jan 7, 2016, 7:23 AM

All about money ain't a #### thing funny

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

+1 for the Grandmaster Flash quote...***

Jan 7, 2016, 9:05 AM

Re: IV'E GOT THE CONFUSE, AGAIN...

Jan 7, 2016, 7:30 AM

The best player in college football is not always the most valuable player in the eyes of the NFL. Running backs in particular right now are easy to find without using a high draft pick. My Saints picked up Tim Hightower, who'd been out of the league since 2012, in the final weeks of the season and he put up some great numbers in the last few games. So most NFL teams aren't going to use a high draft pick for a running back, even a beast like Henry.

Weeeelll .. that is certainly true for good to average rb

Jan 7, 2016, 7:37 AM

Barry Sanders didn't sit around long.

I would argue the best football player in college is often not the hesiman. It is a popularity contest.

For instance, I would say the best player on Clemson's team is NOT watson, lawson, or gallaman. It is Alexander. Guy does his job to near perfection and gets no publicity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Weeeelll .. that is certainly true for good to average rb

Jan 7, 2016, 7:39 AM

I think Trent Richardson was the last running back to go high in the first round, and sadly that didn't work out well for anyone. The NFL game has changed a lot since Sanders' day.

Jan 7, 2016, 8:08 AM

Todd Gurley went number 10 overall last year and Melvin Gordon was picked in the first round also

Jan 7, 2016, 9:04 AM

> Todd Gurley went number 10 overall last year and
> Melvin Gordon was picked in the first round also

both of those guys are much more versatile than Henry.

Jan 7, 2016, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Weeeelll .. that is certainly true for good to average rb ]

It's close but I have never seen anybody play the game as well as DW. It's hard to say the best player thing tho you kind of have to go by position.

But you can't argue mckensie is only known

Jan 7, 2016, 10:00 AM

To Clemson fans. Never gets any press at all.
So he could be greatest cb ever but never sniff a hesiman in cause no Pub.

Where as espn put all 3423 Henry carries on their highlights every weekend.

It isn't the best player, It is who has the most Media coverage.

Jan 7, 2016, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Weeeelll .. that is certainly true for good to average rb ]

Mac certainly has Revis like skills he takes away half the field and allows use to blitz on the reg.

Jan 7, 2016, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: IV'E GOT THE CONFUSE, AGAIN... ]

Yea Tim Tebow was the best in college and dang sure not a first rounder

Jan 7, 2016, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: IV'E GOT THE CONFUSE, AGAIN... ]

They've also said he two best players in the game Monday night will be Watson and Ridley...

Jan 7, 2016, 7:40 AM

Nothing to be surprised about here. Running backs aren't quite the premium they used to be in the NFL. Unless you can get your hands on an Adrian Peterson, you aren't going to use a 1st round pick on a running back anymore. Backs like Henry are a dime a dozen in the pros, and GMs would rather trade for a known quantity without too much wear and tear on them already than spend 1st round money on a rookie. Plus, Alabama running backs have not been particularly successful in the NFL of late. They are big and bruising in the college game, especially when running behind a line that can dominate the defensive line, but that doesn't get them anywhere in the pros.

but he's so "durable," aka Bama doesn't have a good #2.***

Jan 7, 2016, 7:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 7, 2016, 8:02 AM

Look,Henry is the exception to the rule about not taking a running back in the first round.
He is O.J.(with a newer SUV),Adrian Peterson(loyal to his team),Barry Sanders(with a better offensive line),Jim Brown( perhaps playing more than 9 seasons),
"sweeter" than Walter Payton ,and of course having the work ethic of the "Greatest"( no not Ali)
running back in the history of the NFL,Emmitt Smith.
With that lineage,and pedigree,why would you not take him in the first round?
After all he plays for the best team in football,The Alabama Crimson Tide( and please
no disrespect for the New England Patriots).
Besides,maybe Sabin returns to the NFL,and can have him,and Johnny Manzel on his team.

He must not be passing the NFLs "Eye Test"***

Jan 7, 2016, 8:02 AM

Jan 7, 2016, 11:10 AM

The Heisman Award is: An award given to the most outstanding player in college football each year.

If that's the case, and considering how biased the media is these days, why not go to the NFL scouts (or coaches) and have them decide who the best college player is. They don't look at conferences, school size, regions, etc., they look to see who the best players are and what their team needs are for the next several years out.

Seems like you'd get a more unbiased result from the people that don't really care who you have played for in the past, but who they would spend their money and efforts on getting for their team. The only difference would be they won't be looking for the "current needs", just who's the best.

That's high praise for Henry.

Jan 7, 2016, 11:12 AM

I guessed third or forth round. He'll fall all to helll when he has to quit the roids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2016, 11:21 AM

He isn't that well rounded, can't cut too top heavy, needs several (srt8 forward) yards to gain momentum. He be a decent fullback but not a pro running back, just my 2cents

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,057
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic