Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Dabo one of the Top 10 HC's in the country?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Is Dabo one of the Top 10 HC's in the country?

Oct 30, 2013, 11:34 AM

I read an interesting discussion on the UGA board with this topic and thought I'd see what Tigernet has to say. Many of those folks are not happy with Richt and there were some interesting names on their lists.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, what was Richt thinking injuring his players

Oct 30, 2013, 11:36 AM

like that?

null

trying to buy more time***

Oct 30, 2013, 11:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who "interesting" was on their list.***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Who "interesting" was on their list.***

Oct 30, 2013, 12:09 PM

Well, Dabo wasn't showing up on any lists but names I thought were interesting were the Sumlins and Malzahns of the world. Haven't been D-1 coaches very long but some think they are already Top 10 coaches.

Here are a few lists from some posts (none of these are mine btw):

Saban
Miles
Stoops
Fisher
Mendenhall
Peterson
Meyer
Briles
Shaw
Fitzgerald
Strong
Kelly (he will be back in college soon)

1) Saban
2) Meyer
3) SOS
4) Peterson
5) Shaw
6a/6b) Richt/Miles
7) Fitzgerald
8) Stoops
9) Mendenhall
10) Wittingham

1. Saban (no question)
2. SOS (1/3 resources of UGA, but producing on par with Richt)
3. Sumlin (soon to be headed for NFL?)
4. Miles (1 MNC, could/should have had 2 if Bama wasn't allowed in to game without winning it's own division)
5. Richt...Malzahn (stock could rise quickly) ...Freeze (same as Malzahn)....Franklin (toss up between these 4).

Top 10 Coaches: Kelley, Stoops, Meyer, Miles, Saban, Patterson, Peterson, Spurrier, Richt, Shaw / Franklin / Strong / Sumlin

Top 5: Saban, Miles, Meyer, Kelley, Shaw / Spurrier

Top 3: Saban, Meyer, Spurier

Miles
Spurrier
Petersen
Meyer
Saban
Stoops
I think those are clear cut ahead of him. IMO, there are 5-7 more that will be better or have done things at schools that CMR couldn't do. They are.....
Fisher
Sumlin
Shaw
Fitzgerald
Patterson
O'Brien
Guy at Oregon (shame I can't call his name exactly)

Miles- we have certainly seen some head scratchers from him over the yrs.
Spurrier- while I think he is marginally better he certainly has found ways to lose big games. 1 MNC
Stoops- take away his one MNC and he and CMR are the same. Big game bob loses bug game more often than not in recent yrs.
Patterson- check out his record since leaving mountain west. Underwhelming and seems to have a tough time w/ discipline
Shaw- looks good but still early and Harbough left the program in great shape. Lets see if be sustains for another 1 yr or 2
Fitzgerald- solid young coach nothing spells elite to me
Obrien- thought he did a great job holding it together last yr. still has a lot to prove after 1 season
Sumlin- lot of mileage off 1 win. I think he will have had 5 first rd guys in first 2 yrs. wasn't devoid if talent
Oregon- 7 games in I think I can wait to see

Saban, Meyer, Petersen are the best yet there are folks and plenty of them on here that would take Kirby tomorrow over Petersen if given the chance. Baffling to me.

Peterson keeps showing up on your lists...

Oct 30, 2013, 12:24 PM

But - it's Boise frikking State! I mean, that's another argument I have. They win, but it's because of who they're playing. I'm not saying he's a bad coach - but I'd have to see him leading a real team in a real conference before I'm going to give him any accolades.

Re: Is Dabo one of the Top 10 HC's in the country?

I think it is still too early to tell. Sure, that loss to FSU was embarrassing, but overall our program is headed in the right direction and we seem to be doing a lot of great things. I'm 29, and I can't remember a better time to be a Clemson fan.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After the Florida State Showing

Oct 30, 2013, 11:44 AM

I'd have a hard time including him in the top ten.

But, then again, Spurrier wouldn't be on my list either.

Re: After the Florida State Showing

Oct 30, 2013, 11:48 AM

I don't think you can look at just one or two games though, you have to look at the overall picture. That FSU showing was abysmal, but I think it is hard to argue that our program has changed, and is changing, for the better.

Thank you - there's a wide spectrum to consider...

Oct 30, 2013, 12:13 PM

Take Mike Leach for example - undeniably one of the best playcallers in NCAA FB, but then you have the extracurriculars (of which I'm in no way making an opinion on, for or against) - but you can't say his actions didn't damage Texas Tech's program. So, personally, I'd take him out of that list. Spurrier - I hate him, but I can't deny he's a good coach - but then he goes on the air drunk, pitches a 3itch every day, recruits thugs and has a classless "win at all cost" mentality - so is that any better? I see a head coach at a large national program much like a CEO. They're the figurehead - the manager. You have to weigh what they do on the field just as strongly as off the field. Call me biased, but when I weigh everything as a whole (from coaching to hiring to recruiting to fundraising to whatever else) - I can't see how he's not arguably on that list.

I believe so.

Oct 30, 2013, 11:41 AM

He took a mediocre team and has made us a legitimate Top-10 caliber program. We've had All-Americans, Heisman contenders, one of the best offenses (and now defenses) in the country. The only losses as of late, have been to other top-10 programs... You've got Saban, Meyer - and then the rest... With 8 other slots, I don't see how you can't keep him out of the conversation with Richt, Miles - I mean, after those guys - who else? Jimbo?, then Muschamp?? Mack Brown?? Chris Peterson? I can list arguments against all of them...

I'd have to think about it, but probably not.

Oct 30, 2013, 11:44 AM

It's hard to say, really...Dabo is more of a CEO. He doesn't run the offense or the defense. He recruits very well, that's for sure.

Re: I'd have to think about it, but probably not.

Oct 30, 2013, 11:50 AM

Dabo is more of the Mack Brown type, just not as good.

This day in age a lot of coaches are the CEO type but when the going gets rough these coaches have a harder time fixing the problems because they have to make a hire to correct the issue instead of correcting it themselves.

See this example.

Clemson 2010: our offense sucked. Dabo could not fix it so he had to hire morris.

USC the past few years: when the offense goes through rough spots Spurrier can change it up because he is the OC as well as HC. Changes can be made mid season instead of at the end of the year.

Bama this year: Texas a&M torched them. Last 6 games Bama has not let a team score in the first half. Why? because saban can help Kirby Smart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most CEOs I know surround them with good Lieutentants***

Oct 30, 2013, 12:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IS this for real? No he is not.

Oct 30, 2013, 11:45 AM

Our success is in Chad morris. We recruit well as we should and morris has the perfect system for it. Yes Dabo gets credit for the hire but lets not give him too much. Folks thought the guy at Boise state who went to colorado was the answer...nope it was the OC chris peterson. Is kevin sumlin the answer..nope its been two great QBs and kingsbury.

Dabo does very little on gameday, mostly clock management and he sucks at that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, since we aren't giving Dabo credit...

Oct 30, 2013, 11:50 AM

I guess we can't blame him for any losses?

Re: Well, since we aren't giving Dabo credit...

Oct 30, 2013, 11:52 AM

I really dont blame him for the loses because he does so little on the sidelines. If we get blown out its on him for not stopping the landslide or long losing streaks.

FSU loss was on Morris more than Dabo. BV does not get a pass either.

I'll give Dabo the 2008 win over SC...

What people dont get is that if we can just beat SC everybody will be happy with dabo.

How do you know what Dabo does on the sidelines?***

Oct 30, 2013, 11:53 AM

Re: How do you know what Dabo does on the sidelines?***

Oct 30, 2013, 1:49 PM

He has no clue he just believes everything he reads on FGF

Dabo has forgotten more about football than 90% on this board will ever know - Fact Jack

LOL at your last sentence. How did that work for Bowden?

Oct 30, 2013, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, since we aren't giving Dabo credit... ]

What posters like you don't get is that the vast majority of fans are happy with Dabo. Thankfully none of the people in power at Clemson is stupid enough to base his success or lack thereof on one game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It got bowden NINE years of just above mediocrity

Oct 30, 2013, 2:20 PM

on the sidelines. He was finally run off. But it took a decade to remove him because he was beating SC every year. If he lost half the games against SC, he wouldn't have lasted 5 years, much less 9. Look at Dabo. He's got a conference Championship, a BCS bowl appearance, a signature win in a second tier bowl against a top 10 opponent, and is still in a lot of fans' shithouse because he's 1-4 against SC.

Message was edited by: DontH8me®: Replaced marque with signature

I love how Dabo haters always use the Chad example

Oct 30, 2013, 11:53 AM [ in reply to IS this for real? No he is not. ]

but love to blame Dabo for all the loses, if you can't give him credit for the wins you can't give him credit for the loses. Can't have it both ways..

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: I love how Dabo haters always use the Chad example

Oct 30, 2013, 1:05 PM

sure you can. he is the head coach. all blame falls on him. he makes the most money and is in charge of the total program. if he does not want something done he tells or should tell the oc and dc what to do. but in my opinion dabo probably has little input into game plan of offense or defense. sure he makes decisions on going on 4 down or time management during the game but probably confers with staff even on them. I noticed an example in the nc state game. ref was asking the sideline if they wanted to take the penalty or not and dabo turned to bv and let him make the decision. most all head coaches have assistants look to them for decisions instead of the opposite. dabo seems to give both coordinators total autonomy.

I think that Dabo should be fired for letting the DC make

Oct 30, 2013, 1:45 PM

a decision on a penalty or not. Should have been fired on the spot. Is that all you got?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love how Dabo haters always use the Chad example

Oct 30, 2013, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I love how Dabo haters always use the Chad example ]

Oh so he should burn 2 timeouts like slurrier and cost us a game???

Go away little terriercoot your crap is old

"we recruit well as we should"...no, Dabo recruits amazingly***

Oct 30, 2013, 12:34 PM [ in reply to IS this for real? No he is not. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Oct 30, 2013, 11:47 AM

Who was on the list?

If it does not have Spurrier or cutcliff on it then its not valid.

Mark Richt does not need to be on that list.

Oct 30, 2013, 11:49 AM

he is so different that it is hard to evaluate and compare him to anyone else.

He doesn't have the offensive magic of a Morris, Leach, Spurrier, Gundy, Fedora, herschlich Oregon, Briles, etc

He doesn't have the defensive magic of the stoops brothers, Kirby bama, Chavis, Saban, Muschamp etc

However, he has a winning program in the top 10 breaking all sorts of records. Are they real or from a down ACC? I think they are real and he is a good recruiter and manager

You really can't compare coaches like Saban, Richt, Spurrier, Stoops, Miles, etc with someone like Dabo

Just not enough evidence, can anyone say Art Briles is a top 10 coach? Not enough evidence yet, let them blow through the Big 12 and beat Texas, Okla, etc and we will know more. Let Dabo blow through the ACC and consistently beat top teams and maybe he is in the conversation

Just a hard comparison. However, he is great for Clemson right now

Oct 30, 2013, 11:52 AM

^^^ good post.

Oct 30, 2013, 1:53 PM

Oh look he agrees with himself???????

Oct 30, 2013, 11:49 AM

he is so different that it is hard to evaluate and compare him to anyone else.

He doesn't have the offensive magic of a Morris, Leach, Spurrier, Gundy, Fedora, herschlich Oregon, Briles, etc

He doesn't have the defensive magic of the stoops brothers, Kirby bama, Chavis, Saban, Muschamp etc

However, he has a winning program in the top 10 breaking all sorts of records. Are they real or from a down ACC? I think they are real and he is a good recruiter and manager

You really can't compare coaches like Saban, Richt, Spurrier, Stoops, Miles, etc with someone like Dabo

Just not enough evidence, can anyone say Art Briles is a top 10 coach? Not enough evidence yet, let them blow through the Big 12 and beat Texas, Okla, etc and we will know more. Let Dabo blow through the ACC and consistently beat top teams and maybe he is in the conversation

Just a hard comparison. However, he is great for Clemson right now

Yes

Oct 30, 2013, 11:58 AM

Re: Is Dabo one of the Top 10 HC's in the country? No

Oct 30, 2013, 12:03 PM

he is a good coach. probably in the top 20 and trending toward top 10 with a little more experience. No reason he cant or wont make it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF we had beaten FSU, he'd be on everyones list.***

Oct 30, 2013, 12:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not yet***

Oct 30, 2013, 12:18 PM

He's arguably not top 10 ACC much less the country.***

Oct 30, 2013, 1:54 PM

blue caddy LOL***

Oct 30, 2013, 2:42 PM

Lol, no way.***

Oct 30, 2013, 1:55 PM