Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Three Guranteed Losses Ahead of Us...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Three Guranteed Losses Ahead of Us...

Oct 19, 2017, 9:04 AM

#2 Penn State and #6 O310 State play each other 10/28- Loss #1
The winner of that game in all likelihood plays #5 Wisconsin in BIG Championship-Loss #2
#1 Alabama plays #3 UGA in SEC Championship- Loss #3

Of course, there may be more, but there's no avoiding at least those three. I believe the worst case scenario for us is for there to be no more upsets, but UGA beats Alabama for SEC Championship. If that's Alabama's only loss, would that be enough to put them below us in the final CFP rankings? In that case UGA would be in, (Penn State, O310 State, or Wisconsin) would be in, TCU would be in, and that leaves only one more open spot for either us or Alabama.

All of this is moot if we don't win out though...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Three Guranteed Losses Ahead of Us...

Oct 19, 2017, 9:09 AM

My hope is that the matchups with Auburn, UGA, and Alabama result in the SEC not getting into the playoff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2017, 9:12 AM

That would be wonderful, but I doubt the committee would even consider leaving them completely out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2017, 9:00 AM

Any one loss team from the "crooked" sec (little political lingo) will be in like flint.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2017, 9:11 AM

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Georgia lose prior to the SEC Championship game, and they probably will lose that one, too. To answer your question, no, a loss by AL would not drop them out of it. That would be blasphemy to the selection committee. They can lose the last regular season game, but still be in the final 4. I believe we saw that earlier when they lost to LSU a few years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2017, 9:33 AM

None of that really matters if we win out. There's almost a 100% chance we'll be ranked 3 at the lowest if we win out.

Oct 20, 2017, 8:45 AM

On this we agree!

Oct 19, 2017, 9:42 AM

Also consider the CFP equation if ND were to win out (though I don't personally think that's probable). That would leave two conferences on the outside.

Oct 19, 2017, 9:42 AM

If we get in the playoff, you can bet your donkey that the committee will match us up with Alabama in the Sugar bowl for a semi-final game. No way in the world they want to televise another Clemson vs Bama Championship game. They want a Big 10 team in the championship game for ratings.

Oct 19, 2017, 10:02 AM

Clemson v UGA would be an interesting match up in the Championship...

dang skippy - +1***

Oct 19, 2017, 11:02 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO, we need Tech to beat the dogs and Bama to win out...

Oct 19, 2017, 9:46 AM

Go Tigers!!

Oct 19, 2017, 10:13 AM

we REALLY need uga to lose before the seccg... cause if... IF.. they're undefeated and beat bama.. do you really think the cfp committee will leave a 12-1 bama team out of the playoffs?

Nope...

Oct 19, 2017, 10:56 AM

but if Georgia's only loss is in the $ECCG, I think any other one loss conference champions would get in head of Georgia.

Georgia and Alabama are both getting a lot of mileage out of wins against teams that may end-up having three or more losses (i.e. FSU and Notre Dame). Otherwise, neither team has played a particularly difficult schedule.

Bama's SOS ranking is currently in the 25th range which is grossly over-inflated IMO. Georgia's is in the 48th range.

By comparison, Clemson is currently 20th.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

First things first.

Oct 19, 2017, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Three Guranteed Losses Ahead of Us... ]

Bama isn't going to lose to UGAy. If Bama loses the SECCCG they will be left out of Playoff. Nobody wants to see a rematch of two teams that played each other in the post season already.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently that wasn't a concern two years ago...

Oct 19, 2017, 11:24 AM

when the Committee set-up a scenario where Ohio State and Michigan State could potentially meet again for the National Championship.

Ohio State defeated Michigan State 17 - 14 in their regular reason meeting

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic