Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gotta say my peace about our upcoming game againt LSU.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Gotta say my peace about our upcoming game againt LSU.

Dec 29, 2012, 7:51 AM

Seems all the experts and most on Tnet think we have absolutely no chance at winning this game.Well,this is our game to start earning respect and start our national championship run for next year.IMO,it comes down to two major factors.

1) T Boyd MUST play an above average game,not a great game,but he must manage the offense.We all know he is very capable of this as he's done it many times over the past 2 years.The games he struggled he pressed early and never got in rhythum.When he presses he forgets how to scramble.Too many times when the pocket starts to fold he back peddles(kinda like a little league outfielder)and takes himself out of the play.Turn your hips use you size and strenth and take off and possibly break an arm tackle to get out of pocket.We have a pretty darn good suppoting staff,but Boyd is the key to winning this game.
2)Make the LSU QB beat us with us bringing pressure.Let's not rush just 3 like we did against Thompson and let them pick up big chunks especially on 3rd down.Bring 5 and sometimes 6 at a time which will cuae him to make quick decisions and hopefully a turnover or two.I'll take that anyday over just letting a subpar QB pick apart a below average secondary.

in Summary,Boyd must play loose early on to help jump to a good lead.9LSU is not a catch up type team) and pressure,pressure,pressure on thier QB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't throw high for the entire first half.***

Dec 29, 2012, 8:09 AM

Yup,he was tight and pressing the entire Coot game.***

Dec 29, 2012, 8:11 AM

Discipline...discipline is the key. Each team member has

Dec 29, 2012, 8:22 AM

been well-trained in assignments; each knows how to perform; each knows his superior performance will contribute to the entire team effort; each has to summon and demonstrate the motivation to perform. However, most importantly, each must exhibit the discipline of self-confidence as well as confidence in every other member's capabilities to maintain determined composure throughout the game...even to the closing seconds. I, frankly, believe a breakdown in discipline cost us the Orange Bowl last year, a complete collapse that became insurmountable. We know what we will be facing in LSU, and all joking aside, I believe they will be our mightiest foe this season. It's time our men step to the plate, face the enemy...and take full measure!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO... DB play will cost us again like it did against USC.

Dec 29, 2012, 8:26 AM

Our secondary was not great to start with and then by seasons end we had lost the 3 best CB's on the team. We simply now have NO one that can provide tight coverage. We will probably make LSU's average (yes I'm being generous) QB look like a Heisman candidate.

Hate to be negative but the biggest talent gap between Clemson and USC was in the secondaries. IMO that was the difference. When Thompson passed... there was seperation and guys open. When Boyd passed... they had our guys covered. USC had a good team and we are not behind by much at all.

Good news is that we should be better next year. We missed Martin Jenkins. I think he was probably the best cover guy we had. Blanks to safety helps. Hopefully we sign Alexander and/or the kid that decommitted from FSU. We need talent upgrades that can compete next year.

I agree about the secondary,which is the reason i'd much

Dec 29, 2012, 8:32 AM

rather go down with bringing the house and causing havoc verses sitting back and trying to cover.

We're not going down...***

Dec 29, 2012, 10:38 AM

Re: Gotta say my peace about our upcoming game againt LSU.

Dec 29, 2012, 8:36 AM

My piece is: The OL must get the job done and allow Boyd to be the quality QB that he is. And the DL must control the LOS!

Dec 29, 2012, 9:16 AM

You hit the hammer the hammer on the head my friend. The main difference, and it was perfectly obvious, between FSU, USC, and LSU is the tough, pin your ears back, grab ya nutz, all out pass rush that they are and were capable of providing their opponents. LSU's ability to rush is very very good. They may not get a sack every single time, but they certainly cause disruptions on the timing of plays, and unfortunately we run an offense where timing is absolute key. Our success on the offensive side of the ball starts with the fat five up front. If their protection in running and passing is subpar, we will see subpar results. Boyd is one h3ll of a QB and an athlete, but just like any other QB on the collegeiate and professional level, you MUST provide them with time, plain and simple.

Again, you are spot on with the DL. FSU, for example, has corners that can be suspect at certain times. But that suspicion is conviently disguised by their good pass rush. We are in that situation as a defensive unit, unfortunately. Our secondary play, on a good night, is subpar and at times virtually ineffective. Its up to the defensive line to apply pressure in attempts to get sacks, quick throws, or forcing Mettenberger into making bad quick decisions to hide our secondary struggles. If he sits back there and has the allotted time, he will look like Peyton Manning on Monday Night Football. The defensive line must control the line of scrimmage and smother that 4 headed monster running game of their's. No doubt a winnable game for us, but if we play like we have played all season, its going to be a tough one. We are going to have to be a little bit better tonight.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Dec 29, 2012, 8:44 AM

Compared to Clemson teams in the past our team seems to be fat and soft on the line...even when hatfield and West were around we were not as toothless as we come across to our opponents today. Granted, Steele was all mouth and could not prepare for anybody, Harbisons players were underperformers, I have to say that as bad as Reggie was, we were tougher back then. I hope we beat LSU and think we can and will but all the finesse Swinney has tried to instill into our team does not trump a knuckle sandwich that our linemen are gonna get Monday night....in the 4th quarter we better have a lead as I am afraid that our lines will be just beaten down....needless to say I am worried about our image but sounds like our toughness is not very well respected anyway.

Dec 29, 2012, 8:52 AM

You got say your peace,well I got to say my piece:( that's piece as in pie,not world allthough that would be a nice thing to have).
So here goes.Don't worry about respect,or making a run at the national championship next year.
Beat LSU,and you will begin to earn a little respect.Then worry about recruiting the type of players that will beat the LSU's,FSU's,USC'S on a regular basis which will then earn you more respect and then a possible discussion of a national championship run,which yuo won't get if you don't beat UGA in the opener,or a USC on the road.
Finally,leave the game plan to our coaches because I can assure you if our defense can't stop their stable of 4 RB's,Tajh won't be the key to winning the game because he won't be able to get out on the field enough to make a difference.
Oh,and one final thought.The games he usually struggles in are games against teams like FSU,and USC,teams that usually have great defenses,like LSU.
Notice the similarities there.All three of those schools have three letters in them,and two of them have won national championships.

You say you are a Clemson fan, but your negativity makes me

Dec 29, 2012, 9:44 AM

wonder! Any way, Happy New Year anyway, I just hope you will admit your "reality" sucks when CU wins!

Losing my peace, reading all the negativity here - Win?

Dec 29, 2012, 9:41 AM

Great article in Charleston paper the other day:
I think writer hit the nail on the head. He interviewed Morris about how in the games we lose, Ellington is not used in 2nd half. And only one time in usuc (not 3 letters leftie), after he averaged 6.1 in first half. Teams that were successful against usuc ran at them, not away from them in a "pocket", which is the worst thing you can do against fast edge rushers like clownhead. Offenses against fast defenses should use play action, occasional long passes (all the way), using ball control! That way the defense is not on the field like the 29 minutes against usuc in 2nd half. Way too long and besides the two bogus pass interference calls on 3rd and long and 4th and long, the defense played admirably over all. Morris admitted that he needs to employ his running backs much more in 2nd halves (only 4 rushes against fsuc in 2nd half). His excuses were that "well there were too many 3 and outs". The writer replied that if runners were used, there "would not be many 3 and outs." In 12 games last year, when Ellington had 15 or more carries, our Tigers were 8-0. When he did not, Clemson was 2 and 4! And this year, we have an added bonus runner in Hot Rod, who ran for 25 yds in only carry(I think) against usuc. With more ball control, CLEMSON WINS 24-21 for a HAPPY NEW YEAR (AND TO MOST OF YOU TOO!)

We should have ran right at the DE spot vacated by clowney

Dec 29, 2012, 10:03 AM

and taylor(as they were running around the edge). let them come around off the edge and make them pay. Our 2nd half offensive play calling still has me scratching my head. Make them pay with the running game when they pin their ears back. THEN....THEN play action their BUTTS.

What the heck was Morris doing??? Just made no sense. RUN.

We played right into their hands in the 2nd.

LSU is going to run the ball. Pressure on Mettenberger...

Dec 29, 2012, 10:01 AM

won't be an issue as he will simply hand off all night.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic