Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just to hear opinions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,469

Just to hear opinions

Aug 14, 2018, 9:14 PM

If Clemson didn't have such a dominant defense how do you think that would impact the QB situation? Would it for sure be KB starting because he's a great game manager that can run a clock and who showed signs of being able to push the ball? Or would TL be put in first because of his ability for the deep ball because we would possibly need a more explosive offense than last year? Just wondering what opinions are on this popular topic if the scenario was slightly different because it's safe to say right now that our defense will make it much easier to ease a QB in or more forgiving if the wrong decision is made on the starter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just to hear opinions

Aug 14, 2018, 10:28 PM

It’d definitely be TL. If you read what Dabo and the coaches say, as well as the pundits, scouts etc, and watch TL’s hs games, you quickly realize he’s not just a good qb.

I get a little miffed at what posters say on here. Easy to call someone a coot and a kb hater because they want TL to go from the get.

They talk about how TL is a great arm etc but still a freshman, KB has game knowledge and knows our offense. But listen to what is really said and learn more about TL. He’s been running Clemson’s offense as long as KB.

Now, as an even better manager than a coach, Dabo knows what he’s got, but he also knows he’s got to manage it the right way too. He never has abd never will take a Saban approach, nor will he ever throw a coach or player under the bus. Dabo is also a master at learning from past mistakes as in the Cole situation.

The cole situation is when we were in transition. As others have stated, injuries played a part, DW4 knowledge (which at this point TL has more) had to get up to speed , and as others have said, we didn’t have an offense to fit Coles strengths.

This time it’s different because we have a playbook that plays to each qb’s strength, including Chase’s. Best of both worlds. So to answer your question, now we in position to play both.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 2:53 PM

I agree we can go out there with any QB on this roster and win. Luckily we're in the position where we don't have to exactly make the "right call" to win.

IMHO it would be a factor -- the need for more scoring

Aug 14, 2018, 11:01 PM

But Dabo does a great job of staying in the here and now. Now we T-Netters have plenty of time for hypotheticals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 3:16 PM

Just look at the Syracuse game and you have your answer. Should be no different than when the defense stunk up the field vs a team it shouldn't have happened to. Did the better "practice guy", the 2nd string "better manager" win when the defense wasn't playing elite?? Did it look like we needed someone who could throw deeper and score more efficiently, or were we quite efficient completing 71.4% with mostly short passes while barely keeping the status quo on the way to a loss? Keep in mind, out of 3 scores, one was a long ETN run, another was a fumble TD by Muse.

Aug 15, 2018, 3:40 PM

Feaster also broke a long run in that game too for a TD, also we chose to stop running that ball. I think play calling was a major reason we lost that game.

Aug 15, 2018, 3:43 PM

^agree on that.

Aug 15, 2018, 3:35 PM

I'm sticking with the 2-QB system this year, regardless if the D plays great or not in any specific game. I still think KB's best game is when we get inside the 25 yard line, or inside our own 15 yard line. I think TL puts intense pressure on the opposing D when he has a lot of green grass in front of him, especially with our WR group. Kelly has proven how really great he is when he gets in the RZ or close to our own goal line. I would not pick either QB to be the "starter", but simply plan a dual threat at QB. No defense can really prepare for both.

That said - Dabo should be requesting my recommendation soon, so we're good. 15-0 baby. Tigers Roar!

Aug 15, 2018, 3:39 PM

What I'd like to see is KB improved in his passing between to 10-20, plus downfield. Sure, his legs are a big threat in the red zone, though we also tend to hand to the RB's quite a bit in there. But what I've missed seeing from at area are quick fades into the corners over the tops of the linemen. Even last year, in the red zone, he rarely if ever threw it...you could almost bank on a run play. I'd personally like to see if he's used in that area, that he mixes it up so things stay unpredictable on if he'll throw, run, or hand off.

Aug 15, 2018, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Just to hear opinions ]

2 QB systems and package QB's rarely actually work. Not only is this extremely out dated but it's extremely predictable to the defense. This is why great QBs now run RPO, they also are not exactly "pocket passers" anymore, DW4 says he was a PP in his mind, TL is considered a PP and runs in the 4.6 range just as DW4. They can run and throw or else the game plan because simplified for defenses, or result in suggestions like a 2 QB system which again rarely is effective due to predictability.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,469
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic