Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IF coach Brownell's job is in jeopardy, could the ACCT save
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

IF coach Brownell's job is in jeopardy, could the ACCT save

Mar 8, 2017, 7:49 AM

it or is his job secure? I think this team can beat Dook today and advance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers!***

Mar 8, 2017, 7:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: IF coach Brownell's job is in jeopardy, could the ACCT save

Mar 8, 2017, 7:58 AM

I'm think he'sin more of a Wheel of Fortune situation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's say our guys get a win today and then beat Louisville

Mar 8, 2017, 8:16 AM

I know it's unlikely, but if they play with the intensity and heart they played with yesterday it's at least possible. I think that puts us in the NCAA Tournament AND Brownell will, and should, be back next year. Otherwise, I think it all depends on how the NIT goes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Let's say our guys get a win today and then beat Louisville

Mar 8, 2017, 9:18 AM

This year was supposed to be his year and now we say wait until next year.Wow crazy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be unfortunate to base the man's future on just one

Mar 8, 2017, 8:18 AM

or two ganes, instead of looking at his entire body

of work through seven seasons, not to mention things like returning level of talent, incoming recruits, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: It would be unfortunate to base the man's future on just one

Mar 8, 2017, 8:23 AM

^^^would like to see CBB's entire body of work

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It would be unfortunate to base the man's future on just one

Mar 8, 2017, 8:29 AM

CBB will likely return due to his buyout amount, not because his team wins any specific game. Brownell needs to hear fan and booster frustration during the upcoming "prowl and growl" tour. Drad also needs to get an ear full. Clemson should make the NIT and the team better show up if CBB wants his job to continue.

Next year, despite losing three seniors, is the clear make or break season for Brownell. No NCAA and he should asked to resign or be fired.

Go Tigers!

One poster on here mentioned that Brownell only has three

Mar 8, 2017, 8:32 AM

years left on his contract and thus would need at least a one-year extension for recruiting purposes.

I don't know if this is accurate, but if so, he will either terminated or offered a contract extension after this season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One poster on here mentioned that Brownell only has three

Mar 8, 2017, 8:51 AM

His extension has him signed through 2020. His buyout is $3.5 mil this offseason and $3 mil the remaining seasons.

It is extension or fire him time. Leaving him at 3 years would be the worst decision.

Oh yeah, it was you. Thanks for chiming in.***

Mar 8, 2017, 8:52 AM

Mar 8, 2017, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: One poster on here mentioned that Brownell only has three ]

His buyout is $3.5 for this (2016-17) season. Whatever the effective date of his contract year is when the buyout drops. His buyout is $3 million for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. There is no buyout for the 2019-20 - he is simply due his full contracted salary.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2017, 12:09 PM

Not that it really matters, but I don't believe that is fully correct. The buyout was $5 mil after last season. I would assume we drop his buyout to push him out the door, if that is even an option.

http://www.tigernet.com/update/coach/Further-details-Brownells-contract-16049

Brownell will make $1.7 million in 2016-17, $1.8 million in 2017-18, $1.9 million in 2018-19 and $2 million in 2019-20.

If Clemson was to fire Brownell, the buyouts would be as follows: With five or more seasons remaining, $5 million; four seasons remaining, $5 million; three seasons remaining, $3.5 million; two seasons remaining, $3 million; one season remaining, $3 million.

Should Brownell leave Clemson, he would owe the university: five or more seasons remaining, $1.5 million; four season, $1.5 million; three seasons, $1 million; two seasons, $900,000; one season, $500,000.

Mar 8, 2017, 12:32 PM

This is a boundless source of confusion and this article nor the Shaking the Southland articles help. What it means by "one season remaining" is if he was fired in the 18-19 year he would have "one season remaining" and be due $3 million total at the moment of termination. He would be due $3 million if he was terminated on day 1 of his 18-19 contract or day 365. You don't pay a $3 million buyout for a $2 million contract - the total amount due for 2019-20. You would simply relieve him of responsibilities and continue to pay him his contracted salary. A buyout is a reduction in the total value of the contract not an increase. Otherwise you just owe the amount of salary agreed upon in the contract.

Editing to add: If you think my time frame is wrong look at the numbers again. The first buyout is "$5 million for 5 years remaining" but the contract was a new, six year contract. The "year remaining" does not count the current contract year.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

now you're in a pickle....if you offer him a contract ext

Mar 8, 2017, 9:00 AM [ in reply to One poster on here mentioned that Brownell only has three ]

it has to come with the buyout lowered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and if that is indeed the measure (as it should be)...

Mar 8, 2017, 8:53 AM [ in reply to It would be unfortunate to base the man's future on just one ]

IMO there is absolutely NO WAY retaining Brad Brownell can be justified.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I would be mildly surprised if he is terminated after this

Mar 8, 2017, 8:57 AM

season, but I was also taking a back when DRad pulled the plug on Jack Leggett.

Clemson cares more about baseball than basketball

Mar 8, 2017, 8:59 AM

and the fans care more about success in that sport....I don't see there being enough love for the program for people to be upset to demand a change.

Leggett should have been fired a year earlier IMO...

Mar 8, 2017, 9:28 AM [ in reply to I would be mildly surprised if he is terminated after this ]

That said, DRad has gotten himself in a precarious position with Brownell.

He foolishly and unnecessarily gave Brownell that grossly over-inflated buyout, so firing him now would be tantamount to acknowledging he made a mistake.

It is largely for this reason that I am of the belief no change will be made after this season.

reminds me of Tommy Bowden

Mar 8, 2017, 9:33 AM

gave him an unnecessary extension and then had to fire him.

That debacle rests firmly with President Barker.

Mar 8, 2017, 10:03 AM

TDP was fully prepared to call Bowden's bluff and let him walk. It was Barker who forced TDP's hand.

Re: Leggett should have been fired a year earlier IMO...

Mar 8, 2017, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Leggett should have been fired a year earlier IMO... ]

here is a novel idea. lets pull for the tigers to win today and the rest of the tourney, then most probably the nit. then you guys with all the answers can start dogging coach again. really sad the stuff you read in here. geeeeeez

It saddens me that some fans are content with mediocrity.***

Mar 8, 2017, 11:00 AM

It's not, no matter what.***

Mar 8, 2017, 8:43 AM

He isn't going anywhere and never was

Mar 8, 2017, 8:52 AM

Honestly I'm of the belief that we need new leadership in men's basketball. After 6 straight years of missing the Big Dance is enough for me. I'm not about to get all giddy over beating two teams we should've beaten in BC and NCSU.
The expectations we heard was that this was a bonafide NCAA tournament team. This was supposed to be THE YEAR. Now I'm told to wait till next year again? Not buying it.
People talk about how great the backcourt will be next year, and it should. But folks conveniently forget to talk about how woefully inept our frontcourt depth will be. That's recruiting, and that's all on BB.
At this point I'm not even upset with BB, he is who he is. A coach who'll win just enough games above .500 to stay off the hotseat. I'm more upset with DRad for giving a coach a ridiculous extension and buyout based off a NIT SEMI FINAL. I repeat, NIT SEMIFINAL.
Everyone on here appears to be happy with mediocre, so I'll ride next season out and see what happens.

I'm still trying to figure out how you're going to be better

Mar 8, 2017, 9:04 AM

next year when you lose your best player, your best rebounder, you're losing senior leadership, and you're going to be substantially younger....how in the world can you be better...that's a tough one.

Well we seemed to struggle whenever Blossomgame

Mar 8, 2017, 9:06 AM

elevated his game.

all joking aside you actually believe we could be better

Mar 8, 2017, 9:12 AM

as a team when we lose the only player on our team that has NBA potential?

I didn't say that, but it is possible that we have a better

Mar 8, 2017, 9:21 AM

record simply due to all the close losses we had this year.

it's possible no doubt

Mar 8, 2017, 9:24 AM

If you've been a Clemson basketball fan for as long as I have....40 years you've seen this play out over and over. We lose our best player and we're an average team even with him.

I have. Just praying we beat Carolina in Chapel Hill in my

Mar 8, 2017, 9:39 AM

lifetime.

Re: I have. Just praying we beat Carolina in Chapel Hill in my

Mar 8, 2017, 10:56 AM

me too. I ate an apple today to help me live longer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: all joking aside you actually believe we could be better

Mar 8, 2017, 9:22 AM [ in reply to all joking aside you actually believe we could be better ]

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Re: I'm still trying to figure out how you're going to be better

Mar 8, 2017, 9:22 AM [ in reply to I'm still trying to figure out how you're going to be better ]

So am I. Elijah Thomas cannot afford to be aggressive on defense next year, because if he gets in foul trouble we are done. Which also means it'll be a layup drill to the basket because we'll have no shot blockers on the floor, unless you count Robertin.

His job isn't in jeopardy

Mar 8, 2017, 8:55 AM

I dont think we care enough about basketball and as a result don't voice enough displeasure to the AD for a change to happen. Basketball is something at Clemson we pay attn to for about 4-6 weeks and then we get on with life.

Re: His job isn't in jeopardy

Mar 8, 2017, 9:23 AM

Yea we dont care to the tune of a 60 Million Dollar facility upgrade /s

as a fan base we don't

Mar 8, 2017, 9:27 AM

I've been going to Clemson games for 40 years and we don't have the same love for basketball that we do for football and baseball and that's ok. Football and baseball are the sports we love the most and there's nothing wrong with that. We pay attn to football through mid January and then baseball starts in February. That doesn't leave a lot of time and attn for basketball. The other day in the midst of basketball season there were more post on Tnet about the 40 times of former players at the combine than basketball. More post about players workout stats than a team in season. It is what it is.

We care more about basketball than we do baseball.

Mar 8, 2017, 1:28 PM

How many Clemson fans attend basketball games versus baseball games? How do TV ratings compare for Clemson basketball games versus Clemson baseball games? The numbers for both favor basketball, and it isn't even close.

Clemson students have camped out for basketball tickets on numerous occasions. How many times has that happened for baseball? How many sellouts have we had in our history for basketball games versus baseball games? I think you know the answer.

I am confident if we polled Clemson fans and asked them if they would rather make the NCAA Tournament in basketball or baseball, an overwhelming number would say basketball. That wouldn't be close either.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 8, 2017, 9:24 AM [ in reply to His job isn't in jeopardy ]

drad is very serious about basketball.

he might be but is our fan base was my comment***

Mar 8, 2017, 9:27 AM

Mar 8, 2017, 9:41 AM [ in reply to His job isn't in jeopardy ]

We care about Clemson basketball. The question is does the administration care enough to pay a big name coach to come to Clemson. If not then another Brownell cheap hire won't solve the problem. We will never out recruit the Dukes and UNCs of the world but there is no excuses for not being on a recruiting par with the rest of the league. Give credit for Brownell for willing to change but he will never be a great recruiter. He has three years left on his contract. Drad has to extend the contract for recruiting purposes because rival coaches will use that against Brownell or hire a new coach. We have the hottest recruit in our state in Zion Williamson. His father has ties to Clemson. Can Brownell sell our product to get him to Clemson? I don't think so.

If your son was a five star next Lebron James

Mar 8, 2017, 9:53 AM

it would be tough with a straight face to send him to Clemson with the state of our program currently when Roy Williams Coach K Cal and Bill Self are coming over to your house and to your games.

LeBron Didn't Go To College

Mar 8, 2017, 10:22 AM

And five stars will never come to Clemson no matter who the coach is. But you can build a great program with three and four stars. There is going to be a great deal of turnover in the ACC in the next few years. K, Williams, Pitino, Boobheim all are going to retire. The league will change. Coach B is the man for Clemson basketball.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LeBron Didn't Go To College

Mar 8, 2017, 12:33 PM

This same argument was used to save Jack Leggetts job a few years ago. Imagine hiring Monte Lee a year or two earlier. We would be contending for the CWS title. I like the man Brad Brownell. He just is not a recruiter or great coach. Unless we are willing to hire a big name coach, we might as well keep this loser. Best is the standard? Not in basketball both men and women!

Re: LeBron Didn't Go To College

Mar 8, 2017, 2:12 PM

lol that is a load of bull ####. No one was every remotely coming close to saying we coudlnt be elite in Baseball.

Five star basketball recruits will NEVER come to Clemson?!?

Mar 8, 2017, 1:31 PM [ in reply to LeBron Didn't Go To College ]

That's a bold statement, Cotton.

I am sorry that you are so pessimistic and negative about basketball. It doesn't have to be that way.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 8, 2017, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: His job isn't in jeopardy ]

So if we loose today based on your information you extend BB or move on. The make or brake issue with BB was always going to be recruiting. His staff wasn't put together as a great recruiting staff.

Mar 8, 2017, 1:01 PM

No Tiger fan expects us to be Duke or UNC in basketball. They attract Parade All Americans in basketball like we get 5 stars in football. They put their money in basketball;we do in football. That doesn't excuse us from putting a quality product on the floor that just breaks even in basketball. That goes for both the men and women. Losing is unacceptable in any sport. Extending Brownell contract is a huge mistake.

that's only the "Fire Now Crowd" on Tnet they'll also be

Mar 8, 2017, 9:00 AM

back next year if Dabo doesn't win back to back National Championships.

I think people should turn off their opinion machines until

Mar 8, 2017, 9:36 AM

the season is over. Otherwise opinion machines are not working properly.

If by some miracle we make the tourney then he did what was expected of him this year. It doesn't matter how because results are results.

If he doesn't... then well... there you go.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His job is not in jeopardy. Period.***

Mar 8, 2017, 10:13 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His job is not in jeopardy. Period.***

Mar 8, 2017, 1:31 PM

Can you justify an extension to his contract? I can't.

Must win all....Good luck Brad!***

Mar 8, 2017, 10:51 AM

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic