Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: MacKensie Alexander redshirt update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: MacKensie Alexander redshirt update

Oct 1, 2013, 11:43 AM

MacKensie Alexander redshirt update

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: MacKensie Alexander redshirt update

Oct 1, 2013, 11:44 AM

doesnt Jenkins should pop out about every game though? That cant feel too great

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably best case scenario in the long-run. I'd rather

Oct 1, 2013, 11:46 AM

have him RS and play at least 3 more years than come back in November or for the bowl game and lose most of this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably best case scenario in the long-run. I'd rather

Oct 1, 2013, 11:52 AM

If he can make an impact this year, I think we need to have him on the field, even if it's 6 games in. This year is different than others. We're ranked as high as we've been in 25 years...this is the sort of season where you can't save someone for next year if they can make an impact today.

Of course, this doesn't mean rush him back to help...but if he's healthy, we need him on the field. I don't share Dabo's feelings about our secondary...I think it's pretty weak at the moment and could certainly use a couple more able-bodies.

There's no guarantee that he'll be competitive this year

Oct 1, 2013, 12:03 PM

He is no doubt extremely talented and has a huge upside. However, not some people make the jump better than others. I'm skeptical that someone who hasn't practiced all season could come in and beat out some more experienced guys that are approaching mid-season form.

Not to say that it's impossible, but I'd be shocked to see him play by game 6. It's entirely possible he'd be ready by the game in Cootlumbia, but if that ends up being the case is it still worth losing a year?

Re: There's no guarantee that he'll be competitive this year

Oct 1, 2013, 4:03 PM

True, but everyone in fall camp was raving about his ability and work ethic. For those reasons I think he could still compete.

What if it's 10 games in, or 12 games?***

Oct 1, 2013, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Probably best case scenario in the long-run. I'd rather ]

Re: What if it's 10 games in, or 12 games?***

Oct 1, 2013, 4:05 PM

If we're 10 games in and undefeated, with a strong, 1-loss Carolina team coming up, then yes, definitely. If the coaches believe he can make a positive impact on the team, then I would absolutely play him. Having deep secondary play could be the difference against potentially 10-win South Carolina and a possible 11-win Miami team in the ACCCG.

The time is now, and there's no reason to hold anything back if we're in position to go to the national championship.

Re: Probably best case scenario in the long-run. I'd rather

Oct 1, 2013, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Probably best case scenario in the long-run. I'd rather ]

he is a 3-year player! now one of those could be a R/s year or we could get something from him late this year and then have him for 2 years..whatever happens he is gone after 3 years

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The flip side is could waste a year if he doesn't transition

Oct 1, 2013, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Probably best case scenario in the long-run. I'd rather ]

well after a surgery and sitting out so much. Even if he contributes on a few plays total, you lose an entire year. It could be a better gamble that you can get him better prepared for next year for a much bigger impact. And doesn't the NFL require 3 years of playing not just three years of enrollment/scholarship? So, you get his three years after four if you RS him. I think...

But realistically they will probably wait a few more games to see how everyone else is developing before making a final decision. Doesn't RS apply at the end of the year, anyway? I think a coach can put a RS on a player and then pull it back, say due to injury. All that matters to keep the RS status is whether he played at all by the end of the year (after being assigned the RS).

No, to be elligible for NFL draft, they only have to be out

Oct 1, 2013, 1:19 PM

of high school for 3 years and yes they can pull a redshirt on the last play of the last game if they want to. Wouldn't make sense but they could!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would still say RS is the less risky bet

Oct 1, 2013, 4:02 PM

Especially if Venables and Swinney are satisfied with the other backs. Once you play Alexander, you run the risk of finding out the hard way he wasn't fully healed. Or that he still hasn't made the transition to the next level. And at this point in the season he just needs to be on the field once to be ineligible for RS. I think...

Hang in there Mac Alexander......

Oct 1, 2013, 11:51 AM

We can count on you for next year and you will be better, stronger, faster. Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alexander

Oct 1, 2013, 11:57 AM

I would love to have him on the field this year too, especially with Florida State and South Carolina. We could use him at his best level to make a N.C. run, but I doubt he will be in good college level playing shape by then even with the rehab. A redshirt will be the best for him and our team.

Makes No Sense to Redshirt HIm

Oct 1, 2013, 12:08 PM

If he is the talent that I think he is, he can contribute down the stretch.

If he is the talent that we think he is, we are only going to have him 3 years. I would rather get 2 1/2 years rather than two.

Lets say his talent blooms and he contributes 10 plays in the S.Car. game and 10 plays in the championship game. Because of the season we are having, isn't that worth it?

sure. i think they'll make a case for getting him some

Oct 1, 2013, 12:16 PM

live snaps if only to acclimate him looking ahead to next year.

still, idk all the variables & i'll be fine with whatever they decide is in the best interest of all involved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just like Tony Stward is going to leave after this season?

Oct 1, 2013, 12:26 PM

No wait, that's not true...

Re: Just like Tony Stward is going to leave after this season?

Oct 1, 2013, 3:34 PM

Tony Steward is a bust up to this point. After 3 years he has not cracked the 2 deep.

The question is simple. Can he help us this year? That's it. There is no "saving" top talent for an extra year because many times they are gone.

We did not redshirt Martavis. It was not because we needed Martavis to be a big contributor but he could help AND because Martavis is going to go to a combine and potentially put up big numbers.

Steward had 2 ACL repairs-a far cry from minor sx for

Oct 1, 2013, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Just like Tony Stward is going to leave after this season? ]

groin injury.

Would likely leave after true jr OR rs jr, not after rs so

Oct 1, 2013, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Makes No Sense to Redshirt HIm ]

So just rs and get 3 good years rather than 2 1/2

For all those saying no don't RS him;

Oct 1, 2013, 12:26 PM

he could still contribute. What do you think is the actual likelihood of that happening? given
a) he has been injured since the start of fall camp
b) according to Venables and other coaches he has not even practiced much less even seen a snap of game play
c) due to his injury, he just had a surgical procedure to correct nagging injury YESTERDAY

If he redshirts

Oct 1, 2013, 1:02 PM

he'll only play for 2 years in the valley anyway. He'll likely go pro even if it's the 5th or 6th round.

Re: RS him ...

Oct 1, 2013, 1:03 PM [ in reply to For all those saying no don't RS him; ]

Probably the player himself will have a lot of influence one way or the other. If he is able and wants to play, I'd bet the coaches would want him available even at the tail end of the season.

"If" he can get in shape over the next month or so, and "if" he can be ready to help us beat SCAR and win the ACC title game, and "if" he could help us compete for a possible national title, then by all means play him down the home stretch.

And yes ... That's a lot of "if's" ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What he said...

Oct 1, 2013, 3:46 PM

I agree with Apex and New Tiger... I would play him as soon as the doc says he is healthy if HE wants it. He could make a big difference in the Coot game as well as the FS game!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you burn

Oct 1, 2013, 1:02 PM

A RS for a national title? I would, he's a shutdown corner!

I see us giving up some plays to FSU and I bet they get him in there before SCAR game/ACCCG for experience.

I think if he is able to get some game experience by UVA/GT

Oct 2, 2013, 2:58 AM

he plays this year.

Maryland would be pushing thing a bit, imo.

That's my 2 cents.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic