Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Next stadium improvements?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Next stadium improvements?

Oct 8, 2015, 7:58 AM

I've always wondered if we would add an upper deck over the hill. Seems like the only other place left to add seats. I know there isn't a lot of room but I mean a road can be moved pretty easy. That's not really an excuse though.

And thoughts on the reality of this really happening?

But if I could design it from the ground up I would try and push the upper deck over top of the Lower decks add the part over the hill and maybe even break it down into 3 levels. And be sure to maximize the stadium for sound.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Next stadium improvements?

Oct 8, 2015, 8:00 AM

Upper deck over the hill won't happen. We might be selling out the games right now, but that would cost way too much and add more seats than we really need.

I am hoping the next big improvement is a nicer and better looking scoreboard. I know the video screen was redone not too long ago but the whole scoreboard just looks outdated to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just looking at all these schools

Oct 8, 2015, 8:02 AM

Renovating to 100k+ stadiums. But I am sure my thoughts are only thoughts that will never materialize. I would like to see an upper deck improvement

Would rather be able to see

Oct 8, 2015, 8:04 AM

Tillman from the stadium so no for me.

Didbg think about Tillman...***

Oct 8, 2015, 8:08 AM

Until we are selling out every game......

Oct 8, 2015, 8:04 AM

and I mean really selling out. No empty seats up in the corners of the upper deck. There is really no reason to expand seating capacity.

Now if they could somehow make more luxury boxes over the hill and sell them for some serious $$$, then I'm sure it will be done.

thats true.

Oct 8, 2015, 8:10 AM

But I really don't know anyone who says the want the upper deck corners. Which is why I would like to see an upper deck renovation. And yea an east 'west' end zone type deal would be sweet.

they didn't even sell all the South Club seats this year.

Oct 8, 2015, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Until we are selling out every game...... ]

And they have a better view than the HillZone would.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

They won't.

Oct 8, 2015, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Until we are selling out every game...... ]

I wouldn't, I'd raise the prices until the upper corners were empty. That will create more profits.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

brick in all current concrete

Oct 8, 2015, 8:12 AM

That concrete can get fugly

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at Clemson in the 60's.....I've learned to never say

Oct 8, 2015, 8:20 AM

never when it comes to stadium improvements or expansions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Next stadium improvements? Wasnt the West Zone

Oct 8, 2015, 8:23 AM

designed so they could add another bunch of seats on top of what is there? If so that would be most likely next step I think

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Retractable roof. Lighted Paw on the stadium side of Oculus.***

Oct 8, 2015, 8:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Oct 8, 2015, 8:27 AM

I could see some more seats coming above the student section and the band, and even an upper deck I the west endzone surrounding the oculus.

Oct 8, 2015, 8:38 AM

I guess I've turned into an "old timer set in his ways" as I would never want them to add an upper deck to the hill. Updating the scoreboard is ok so long as they keep the tail wagging tiger. Some things are just sacred to Clemson (i.e. the hill and rock) and concreting a structure above/around the hill would be like defacing a monument. Growth can be a good thing and in some respects is inevitable, but not at the expense of what makes Clemson so special.

The Clemson fan base is probably at an all time high right now due to the renewed success of Clemson football and we seem to be able to fit everyone in the stadium that wants to attend a game. While I want us to continue to succeed in football, these things tend to ebb and flow over time and I think our current stadium capacity is about right for the size of the University and fan base. Besides - don't we already have enough new construction happening on campus right now?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The WEZ was designed and built to accomodate an upper deck

Oct 8, 2015, 8:42 AM

should such an expansion ever become necessary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 8, 2015, 8:46 AM

Cheap n ez: drill drain holes in the benches and scuppers for resulting water on lower levels!

Just hang a few national championship banners on the walls

Oct 8, 2015, 8:56 AM

and call it a thing of beauty!

More chaplains for the lugubrious visitors and players

Oct 8, 2015, 9:06 AM

But we are about to add some fresh banners up there.

I would just make things look nicer

Oct 8, 2015, 9:12 AM

The paths to the upper decks are looking rough. I would make nice terraced concrete and brick paths up to the upper decks. With one side not stepped so vehicles and handicapped can still make it up there. Add in some nice landscaping and it would go from an eye sore to really nice.

I would also add glass to the outside wall of the north stands. The are bricked up about 15 ft, but then all the pipes, and concrete are exposed. Add some glass up there, with the ability to open them up to create some airflow. Would really tie everything together and bring the whole stadium in line with the look of campus.

Someone mentioned artificial turf.***

Oct 8, 2015, 9:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Seat back seats on southside lower

Oct 8, 2015, 9:21 AM

deck from like 25 yd line to 25 yd line. Problem is this would actually cut capacity of the stadium. So then maybe you add the "upper deck" over the hill.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2015, 9:25 AM

$1.50 sodas. Next.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Oct 8, 2015, 10:51 AM

I've always loved the idea of an upper deck over the hill. I think it would add to our hill entrance from the lower deck, but would probably detract from it in many of the seats in the stadium.

The main issues I see with it are:
1. I would not want to sit there. I've never sat in an endzone seat in any stadium that I liked. It's really hard to see 3/4 of the field, and depth perception is thrown off. It's hard to tell if a run lost 2 yards or picked up 5. Only good seats are way up and then you're just too far from the field.
2. You likely couldn't see the hill entrance from those seats. Again making them less desirable.
3. We're just now selling out all our games. Need a few more years of sustained success (and graduates) and imo a National Championship or 2 to justify adding seats to the stadium.
4. Cost. Although I'm sure we could afford it if ticket demand is there.
5. It would probably block the view of the most exciting 25 seconds in College Football for about half of the upper decks unless it was built high, and over Williamson Road.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2015, 11:07 AM

I can see how building stands over the hill could be tastefully done, and I've been intrigued by that idea for years - as an engineer/designer, I've sketched some ideas myself just to see the feasibility. The main issue I can see (beyond people just not wanting change) is that Williamson Rd is a public thoroughfare - we couldn't encroach into that ROW. Not sure of where the property line is, but I have a feeling that it would fall in such an area as to really limit what could be done. Additionally, some sort of barriers would have to be installed along the top to keep people from throwing things to the sidewalk below. One workaround would be to realign Williamson Rd and add a slight curve around the east side of the stadium, but doing that would eat into the park across the street and alter the intersection with Fort Hill.

Given an unlimited budget, I think it could be a very aesthetically pleasing addition, but it would be much more entailed than just adding seats.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic