Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Random conference expansion thought
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Random conference expansion thought

Nov 15, 2018, 5:09 PM

If ND falls this week to Syracuse their shot at the playoffs has nearly completely diminished, with a conference championship they would still have a chance if they beat us. UCF is also at a huge disadvantage being a non power 5. With them both being left out would you want to bring ND and UCF into the ACC? Brings two names in that have drawn a lot of attention one always and one recently. But would also make us the biggest conference so I don't know how scheduling would work if this was the case ND already plays a few ACC games as is but UCF only played 1 this year but had 2 scheduled.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Random conference expansion thought

Nov 15, 2018, 5:14 PM

As long as ND has that lucrative TV contract, they won't join a conference. They would rather be independent and keep all the money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed...for ND to join in football...

Nov 15, 2018, 5:40 PM

They would have to be an undefeated team or 1-loss team and not get into playoff because of no conference championship. Probably at least two times before they consider it...maybe three.

The other wildcard could be the ACCDN also. If their cut of that, to include football, makes up for their TV contract money...they might reconsider.

Nov 15, 2018, 5:50 PM

I have no problem with UCF, but it would be a cold day in hE!! before Notre Dame would join any conference.

Nov 15, 2018, 6:59 PM

Agreed. Screw ND. UCF would be fine. I would rather have App State than ND.

Notre Dame needs to join the BIG10 and stay out of the South

Nov 15, 2018, 6:52 PM

I hate the fact that the ACC got suckered by Swoffie to let those sanctimonious domers into the league...I am just hoping NBC pulls the plug on them soon & ND has to beg for someone to take them in.

Nov 15, 2018, 7:08 PM

I would love to have ND. I don't like ND, but they would great for the conference.

Nov 15, 2018, 7:16 PM

Without ND my choices would be Temple, Navy, W. Virginia or Cincinnati. FSU and Miami would likely vote down another Florida school.

Usuck would be wise if they ever wanted a slim chance of another conference title to reconsider ACC membership, but would we actually want them?

Go Tigers ??!!

Nov 15, 2018, 7:31 PM

I would like West Va. UScjr is fine where they are.

Nov 15, 2018, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Random conference expansion thought ]

Exactly what I'm thinking as well, it would be good to us to add some extra quality to the conference as it seems all the good teams are in the Atlantic typically. The coastal can take them both for all I care!

Nov 15, 2018, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Random conference expansion thought ]

Notre Dame or NO expansion. We don't need to split this pie further.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^This is correct, plus

Nov 15, 2018, 7:43 PM

WVU is a no go. I think it was clear in the last round of expansion that wasn’t happening for more reasons than football.

It would be ND and Navy. Putting both in opposite sides of conference and making their game the “permanent” rival game would free up one game on their schedule for other long term historically held games. USC, etc.

Nov 15, 2018, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Random conference expansion thought ]

Sure ND would help the conference immensely.

Nov 15, 2018, 7:39 PM

It costs a lot to leave a conference these days. So WV is likely not going to happen, but ND could easily join.

Nov 15, 2018, 7:48 PM

Independent status supports the ND & Navy duo.

NO UCF. Flash in pan like Lewisville

Nov 15, 2018, 7:39 PM

Our schedule sucks already. No more watered down garbage teams

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think "the powers that be" should re-align allllll the conferences

Nov 15, 2018, 7:40 PM

All of them seem to be top heavy

All the way out on UCF

Nov 15, 2018, 7:48 PM

Have you seen how annoying their fans are? Plus the ACC has 2 FL schools already so it doesn’t help the footprint. ND and WVU would make sense geographically, FB brand wise, enrollment, etc. Unfortunately they print WVU diplomas on liquor store receipts.

Nov 15, 2018, 8:08 PM

No to UCF.

I say we extend an offer to the eastern service academies and call it a day. Let ND go elsewhere.

Sorry academics/reputation matter (think of me as the athletic-supporting faculty perspective). We should never extend an offer to a school ranked lower than South Carolina. UCF is not close and really Louisville is not there. I think the ACC got burned with UL and that the quick grab was the wrong move. At least at the time I could see them across sports (Football, Basketball, Soccer, etc). UCF is 171th (same as Louisville) with only two decent football years of late....and that alone would disqualify them. The "conference" extends beyond athletics but also defines cross-academic items. My dissertation advisors included GT faculty. I also had contact at UNC, VT and NCSU. UCFG is not a peer of Clemson... and will likely never be...

There are only a few schools in the ACC footprint that would meet the Academic/Reputation demands. And yes, this is not the SEC academics matter and have since the beginning (see early SAT requirements).

1. Navy
2. West Point (Army)
3. Connecticut (on par with Clemson on academics just not in athletics)

Cincy is a distant forth.

Keep in mind that adding a "football team" hasn't worked. See: Miami. At least they are a decent school.

Now, look at the "absorption" of other teams in other conferences. Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska, Mizzu, Arky, A&M and especially South Carolina. None of these teams have even come close to disrupting the status quo of the existing conference powers. So adding Navy/Army into the mid-level for Duke/Virginia competition would fine. The other thing is it will finally bring in another school with the honor that Clemson has shown to service.

I would go for this

Nov 15, 2018, 8:09 PM

Or maybe ND+Cincy

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 8:30 PM

Why would any team want to join the ACC knowing that they will get curb-stomped by CLEMSON at some point? :)

ND definitely has a better chance OUTSIDE the ACC. ALMOST beating CLEMSON does not count for them.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic