Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mark Gottfried out at NCSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 3,918

Mark Gottfried out at NCSU

Feb 13, 2017, 6:49 PM

Story broke on local news here in Raleigh. Someone mention possible NCAA violations but that wasn't confirmed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well no archie miller for us then.***

Feb 13, 2017, 6:52 PM

The guy we need at Clemson for sure.******

Feb 13, 2017, 6:59 PM

Re: Mark Gottfried out at NCSU

Feb 13, 2017, 6:56 PM

He's the Hugh Freeze of Basketball, dirty coach and constantly underachieves for the talent he has.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Lets start the Brownlee to NCST rumor!******

Feb 13, 2017, 6:58 PM

If true, not much of a surprise...

Feb 13, 2017, 6:58 PM

barring a miraculous finish, I think he was gone at the end of the season, anyhow.....Sound familiar?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask Alabama

Feb 13, 2017, 8:05 PM

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Feb 13, 2017, 7:03 PM

link?

Feb 13, 2017, 7:05 PM

He absolutely sucked at Alabama, so I was surprised how well he did at NCSU. I thought NCSU was dumber than we are hiring him after his pathetic term at Bama. But somehow he put together some pretty decent teams.

Feb 13, 2017, 7:12 PM

nothing on ESPN, N & O, or WRAL yet

Can you imagine us firing a coach who took us past the

Feb 13, 2017, 7:28 PM

first round of the NCAA tournament 4 of the last 6 years, and the Sweet 16 just the year before last?

If rumors of NCAA violations are true, then I get it, but good grief.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we had high standards for basketball

Feb 13, 2017, 11:02 PM

and not post after post of pathetically low standards?

I am so tired of reading crap on here like "A realistic expectation for Clemson basketball is to make the NCAA Tournament once every few years."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Expectations need to be much higher for sure, but

Feb 14, 2017, 12:49 PM

I think it's important to distinguish between goals and realistic expectations. The goal should be to win every game, including the national championship. It would be completely unreasonable to expect that.

Just my opinion, but it would be unrealistic to expect Clemson to compete head-to-head with UNC/Dook/Louisville in the near term. For now, those schools simply have too much tradition and powerful branding; they are too well established and have an extensive network of connections. Recruits know that these teams play at a very high level and may be in the final four any given year. It takes years to build that kind of a program, that kind of a brand. Therefore, it would be ridiculous to expect Clemson to compete at that level in the near term.

Having said all of that, the question becomes "How good can Clemson expect to be on a consistent basis?", and that depends largely how much money Clemson is capable of and willing to spend to build that brand, and that I can't answer. What I am certain of is that there is nothing, and I mean ZERO, inherent about Clemson University itself that would prevent them from building a much better basketball brand and better program. It may be somewhat true that more good basketball players come from big metro areas that are very different from Clemson's small town atmosphere, but there are also tons of great basketball players that don't come from those places. Many of them come from the same exact same areas where we get some of the best football players in America. There are also a lot of players from big metro areas who may like a more laid back place like Clemson; either way we can't use it as an excuse. I'm convinced that the right coach, with the necessary commitment from the university, could bring that kind of player to Clemson. I think that's very doable right now. Without the tradition and the brand, it won't happen overnight, but it can be built.

You have to start somewhere, and it starts with higher expectations.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Will finish out season?

Feb 13, 2017, 8:07 PM

Some of the State fans are saying it will be effective at the end of the season, which doesn't make much sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I work over at NCSU and a coworker

Feb 13, 2017, 10:22 PM

Of mine just said he heard it on the local news. Some students I talked to said it was leaked information but if it's on the news, something seems to be going on. Maybe he already knew when Wake put 30 on them. I personally don't care for the guy but thought it was interesting to hear this kind of news in February.

State denying this rumor

Feb 13, 2017, 10:27 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article132541054.html

Replies: 15
| visibility 3,918
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic