Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I wonder if HJ leaving the program had anything to do
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

I wonder if HJ leaving the program had anything to do

Jun 12, 2018, 4:12 PM

with something I heard just after the spring game ended.

As were were slowly making our way across Death Valley from the west-end shade to the opposite side on that beautiful afternoon, several players, including Hunter Johnson, were staying long after the scrimmage ended at the center of the field to interact with fans, signing autographs and taking pictures. (I love this school and our traditions!)

As HJ - in his purple jersey - was jogging away from the group toward the locker rooms, a fan caught his attention and asked him if he had cut his hair as he thought it had been much longer. "No," he replied. "That's the other guy."

:( At the moment I heard it, it actually hurt MY feelings.

This kid did everything right and was a dedicated Clemson recruit and team member throughout. It was very disrespectful what that fan said. A shame really.

I think, maybe, that HJ realized that his opportunity at Clemson was slipping away. He didn't want to play second fiddle on the field or in the eyes of the fans.

I don't claim that interaction was THE reason HJ decided to transfer, but it certainly could not have helped.

I'd like to thank him for how he handled himself on the recruiting trail, for how he worked and played last year and for how he eventually decided and communicated that he was leaving. It could not have been an easy decision. He is a young man of excellent character and I wish him the best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: I wonder if HJ leaving the program had anything to do

Jun 12, 2018, 4:24 PM

Probably had zero effect....everyone is always curious about the new guy on campus. IN the end, the reason he left is likely the spot you see Trevor sitting in the newer depth chart is exactly where Trevor was sitting with Hunter listed on it initially still....which means, he beat him for the #2 spot.

Keep in mind, Hunter played last year, so 1 year of eligibility used....means he had 3 left. Trevor has a minimum of 3 years, especially if the coaches have chosen to play him (and in this case put him in the #2 spot). And you can bank on the fact he was #2 prior to Hunter leaving...you don't leave a program if you come out of the spring as the #2 guy, still very much in it to win the starting job....you do if you slipped a spot by getting beat out. So Hunter without sitting on a red shirt, then as a backup for 2 years, would at the very best have been able to play in a starting #1 role only the year after Trevor left if he never beat him back for the spot. It was the smartest decision for the kid as a highly coveted 5 star that was top of his class.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2018, 4:32 PM

So he thought that Northwestern gave him more of an opportunity to become more known? Lol. But in all seriousness thats a garbage thing for a player to hear. I'm sure the fan didnt mean anything bad though. Just an unfortunate mistake.

Jun 12, 2018, 5:26 PM

If he's good enough he can make some noise at Northwestern. Plus it seems like he wants a quality education on top of it.

Jun 12, 2018, 4:41 PM

Potato post of the year candidate

HJ will be fine

Jun 12, 2018, 4:43 PM

He's a helluva talent and a good guy. He can start for most any team in the country.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck and success.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2018, 5:23 PM

Survival and competition is life and not just in football. HJ and TL are both great kids. They will both be successful but they both cant start at Clemson. One thing it tells me is how much of a baller Trevor Lawrence is though......

Jun 12, 2018, 5:45 PM

This heah ^

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 16, 2018, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Re: I wonder if HJ leaving the program had anything to do ]

And he didn't show his but like a certain jackwad who saw Hurricane Watson blow into town.

Staying at Clemson would have meant HJ giving up NFL career

Jun 12, 2018, 6:07 PM

Transferring means millions of dollars as an NFL starter or backup. Northwestern offers the number 1 degree in the Big 10 and one of the tops in country. A healthy Johnson will thrive and become a B1G star, and I will be pulling for him.

My read is Hunter was probably too nice, too respectful and too soft to take the QB position from KB despite being much more talented as a passer and possibly faster. The age, maturity and familiarity-with-teammates gap was just too big for HJ to overcome. This will be less of a concern for TL who will come in with a mercenary-like focus and prodigious talent and take the starting job from KB by mid-season with no apologies. For TL it's simply competition and business just like all the elite player camps he is used to dominating. Stay tuned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Staying at Clemson would have meant HJ giving up NFL career

Jun 12, 2018, 6:28 PM

^ or easier put...Trevor comes from a system similar to Clemson's, even though he is considered more Pro-style....Hunter didn't and had a bigger learning curve. His first year wasn't enough to catch up to that learning curve enough to be where Trevor was coming in.

I will be rooting for

Jun 12, 2018, 9:16 PM

Hunter and Northwestern . Remember he has to ride the pine for a year . How is that right that other guy , ( I think you know who I mean ) , might get to play right away .

Right!? I had the same thoughts and nearly put something

Jun 12, 2018, 10:44 PM

about that in the post. Has anyone else commented on that somewhere?

Re: Staying at Clemson would have meant HJ giving up NFL career

Jun 12, 2018, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Staying at Clemson would have meant HJ giving up NFL career ]

It’s a darn shame that Kb couldn’t get us big enough leads in games we should have had in full control by halftime so HJ could have showed off his skills more. Still can’t see how he wasn’t #2 from the get.

Not sure how someone could td ur post.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed - i thought that several times last year as well

Jun 12, 2018, 10:43 PM

... but I think part of that, at least, was that he was learning the system and starting from scratch. The coaches just didn't have the confidence in him early.

No worries - agree with Felix that HJ will prosper***

Jun 16, 2018, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Staying at Clemson would have meant HJ giving up NFL career ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why did he not get to play at Syracuse?

Jun 18, 2018, 5:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Staying at Clemson would have meant HJ giving up NFL career ]

He would have beaten Syracuse last year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2018, 9:28 PM

Dudes an athlete not a baby

Yeah, but he's also a 20 yo kid.

Jun 12, 2018, 10:42 PM

I get that Clemson is big-time ball. But it is still an ego-blow for someone to say that.

Jun 12, 2018, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I wonder if HJ leaving the program had anything to do ]

And the fan was an uninformed dumb ox .

Jun 12, 2018, 9:28 PM

It probably has more to do with the fact he's behind 2 people on the depth chart, one of them couldn't throw his way out of a wet paper bag during the spring game.

Jun 12, 2018, 10:41 PM

That's what I saw.

I think he got tired of being behind QBs who can't throw.

Jun 12, 2018, 11:26 PM

Bryant I could (maybe) understand, but Cooper? HJ is a baller, and the addition of Lawrence (who can throw) meant that it was time for Johnson to transfer. I don't blame him.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

If that was a factor for him leaving, which I don’t think it was,

Jun 16, 2018, 5:51 PM

then there is no way he could’ve taken the scrutiny of being the starter at Clemson.
Fans in general love to tear down the starting QB. It’s no different here. Many times I heard some of the idiots sitting around me wanting Deshaun Watson pulled from the game. Now look at what Kelly Bryant is going through this offseason.
If Hunter Johnson couldn’t handle one comment like that, then it is probably best that he moved on. Of course this is just some crap supposition that is made up on a message board.

I felt if he hd been playing time,he would've

Jun 17, 2018, 8:04 AM

xtarted by the end of the Yr. & we would have had a down hill threat in the Sugar bowl, could have won that game then NC

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More like when Dabo played ZC during the Syracuse Game

Jun 17, 2018, 1:04 PM

Dabo showed that it was all about seniority. HJ could have beat Syracuse but as we saw neither KB or ZC had any chance of beating them.

Also after Spring, Dabo said that he wasn't going to start the QB with the most skill.

Then he named KB as the starter. What a shame.

I don't blame HJ for leaving. There never was going to be a QB competition.

Just like the Inspector Generals Report.

No documented evidence of loyalty.

Absolutely wrong! The competition was between

Jun 17, 2018, 2:07 PM

Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence, Kelly Bryant as a senior was not a factor.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More like when Dabo played ZC during the Syracuse Game

Jun 17, 2018, 3:03 PM [ in reply to More like when Dabo played ZC during the Syracuse Game ]

KB did what he had to in order to become the starter.
He took the only advantage he had over the other prospects--actual game time experience in this offense--and used it to assert his 'leadership'. He mastered what he could, played with confidence and didn't make big mistakes. He got help from receivers who made him look better than he was, made enough big plays with his feet to help us win, and rode a very stout defense through a very difficult September and on to 12 wins as a first-year starter.
Never done before.
But make no mistake: these seniors want a championship, and no one QB is bigger than the team. After the Sugar Bowl, Clelin Ferrel asked for the mic, and he very subtly called out his QB and offensive line for not being prepared. KB knew he had a lot to prove until the Miami game, but his performance there--15 straight completions, including deep throws-- made him relax. How could a real team leader relax going into a game with Bama?

Everybody in the film room sees and knows the countless small errors in judgment KB made, or the poor checkdown decisions he made, or the decisions to hold the ball instead of giving his guys a chance to make a play even when they had one-on-one coverage. How many times, even in victories, did we face 3rd-and-8 because of KB's poor reads on the first 2 downs?
And then he insisted he could play against Syracuse after not practicing all week, led the offense to 10 points and still wouldn't have sat if he hadn't gotten concussed.
I'm not sure that's all 'leadership' as much as 'holding the spot'.
Yes, KB is a fine young man. But he will not take us to a championship.
It turned out that the Syracuse game didn't cost us anything. So it became a lost opportunity for HJ more than anything else.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic