Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear parents of potential Clemson students
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Dear parents of potential Clemson students

Feb 12, 2018, 7:12 PM

Do you have children in middle school or early high school? Would you like them to attend Clemson? Will they be borderline in admissions?

Want to know the secret for admission? Start getting involved with the university NOW!!! Start volunteering. Start making connections. Start donating to the school. Start helping to better Clemson university and your child.

Don't complain 2-5 years from now if your child just barely missed admissions. There are things you can do NOW to help.

Metrics are important. Connections are also important.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And move to a foreign country.***

Feb 12, 2018, 7:21 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Parents of potential Clemson students

Feb 12, 2018, 7:24 PM

Stay involved with their education beginning with the first day of Kindergarten up through HS Graduation. Give to CU is you want, but be involved!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dear parents of potential Clemson students

Feb 12, 2018, 7:28 PM

It is still going to come down to grades and SAT/ACT. Connections mean nothing. I know BOV and Trustees whose children did not get in!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1300 on the SAT and top 10% of their class will make

Feb 12, 2018, 7:46 PM

your child an average applicant. Add connections, financial support, and parents who are active Clemson supporters to the 1300 on the SAT and top 10% of their class will make your child . . . an average applicant. Applications are at an all time high. Clemson has many more applicants than spots, so everyone who wants to get in will not. However, there are other routes to get to Clemson such as Bridge and transfer. Don't blame the Admissions office. Their charge is to accept the MOST QUALIFIED students who apply. I have worked in the admissions office of a very competitive college program and you get into big trouble trying to finagle intangibles into the admissions process.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the secret sauce besides metrics?

Feb 12, 2018, 8:41 PM

Is it as simple as SAT and GPA? I know High Schools are weighted differently in the application process. You should write an AMA for prospective students.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's the secret sauce besides metrics?

Feb 12, 2018, 10:30 PM

Metrics and major.

Message was edited by: Tiger Nana®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with almost all of that except I think

Feb 12, 2018, 8:54 PM [ in reply to 1300 on the SAT and top 10% of their class will make ]

Re: I agree with almost all of that except I think

Feb 13, 2018, 8:33 AM

The Bridge program was established to give more applicants entrance to Clemson. The only thing "carving" qualified students from acceptance is the rapid increase in the numbers and quality of applicants. Bridge students are quality kids. I know students accepted to Bridge that have scholarship offers to other schools (USC and Alabama, to name 2 that I know of). The bottom line is that there are more applicants than spots. SAT and class rank are excellent (no, not perfect) predictors of college success. And by the way, state funding for Clemson accounts for about 10% of Clemson's budget, the last time I checked.

Feb 12, 2018, 8:02 PM

Extra curricular activities are huge. They want people to be involved in sports and school government. They do not just want to see high test scores and gpa's. Obviously those are very important but well rounded students are all they talk about up here.

-Sophomore @ Clemson University

Feb 12, 2018, 8:30 PM

This is actually not true at all. I researched tons about the admissions process to Clemson as I recently applied (accepted in November) and came to find out that extracirriculars have little to no weight in the decision.

Feb 12, 2018, 10:21 PM

^^^ I don’t have any research to prove my point. But that’s not my experience at all. I had high HS grades but very low test scores which showed I had to work really hard for my grades and probably just tested bad. But couple all of that with all my extracurriculars, which indeed were many....that is why I WAS accepted. Being well rounded is what they indicated to me is why I was accepted. Not being a book worm. Class of 2008.

Feb 12, 2018, 11:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Dear parents of potential Clemson students ]

They did for me I had a pending underage drinking charge and if it wasn't for my community service, sports, high test scores and a bunch of clubs I wouldn't have been put through the academic/ conduct review committee I was accepted after I had already put in my tuition to WCU (I was a transfer IDK if that changes anything)

I wish you were correct, but you are not.......

Feb 12, 2018, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Dear parents of potential Clemson students ]

Tiger Nana is correct. The people in the admissions office clearly state that there is NOWHERE on the application to put the "extra curriculars". We are in the process of trying to get our oldest in position to get in, and it is very frustrating. My son is an Eagle Scout and has been the president of his class many times over. He has done multiple volunteer opportunities in the community, runs state qualifying times in Cross Country and Track, and is an amazing artist as well. These things all mean nothing to Clemson if he doesn't score a 1350 SAT score, have an high GPA and finish in the top 6% of his class. This is coming straight from people in the admissions office. The days of wanting a "well rounded student" at Clemson are over.
Now we are paying even more money for SAT prep and testing techniques/strategies. It is truly getting very sad. He would be a 3rd generation Tiger, but if he slips just a little.....no chance. We are hearing even the Bridge program is getting hard to get into.
Some of our friends that are ahead of us in the process are stating that Auburn is becoming the "fall back" school for kids that can't get into CU. Not a bad place, but it really sucks for those kids that have done so well and want to be an Upstate Tiger. If they are not a super brainiac, they are not getting in. No wonder they have a hard time getting students to fill up the hill during games! They are so smart and have 'little-to-no' interest in football. Sad days my Tiger friends

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

More importantly, respect Clemson for the fine institution it is.

Feb 12, 2018, 8:40 PM

Admissions are not guaranteed just because one is smart, has great grades/test scores, really wants to attend Clemson, grew up in South Carolina, or is a legacy.

Clemson gets a lot of applications and is going to take the best and brightest.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

And emphasize your Clemson legacy.

Feb 12, 2018, 8:42 PM

Don’t have one? Get one.

Feb 12, 2018, 8:57 PM

The road to Clemson is going to become tougher. It is a known fact that success on the football field attracts more applicants to a school. A limited freshman class size is going to increase the entrance requirements to a level we could never dream of just a few short years ago. By law, the number of out of state freshman accepted can not exceed one-third of the class. With a freshman class in the range of 3,000 to 4,000, and 25,000 or more applicants, there will always be a lot of unhappy applicants.

I'm not aware of how the system works but among the list of applicants accepted, there will be some who applied to several schools and may choose one of the other schools to which they applied, therefore, leaving space for some who have been rejected.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 9:09 PM

Just move out of state

Feb 12, 2018, 9:10 PM

Just move out of state

Wrong

Feb 12, 2018, 9:20 PM

An immediate family member of mine was on the committee that determined the formula - and there is one. They were not allowed to tell me the exact formula but they said it is:

* High school GPA adjusted for the school the student attended
* SAT (Math and Verbal, not Writing)

After that they will look at legacies and other factors but only if kids are borderline.

I was told that HS GPA weighted for the school was more important than SAT - they are more interested in a smart kid that has proven he/she will work hard than a brilliant but lazy kid.

All of this is done by major. Apply to engineering and expect a tougher time than if you apply to Education. But keep in mind there is no guarantee you can switch majors after you get in.

BTW - Out of state students have better stats on average than in-state. It is harder to get into Clemson from out of state.

Feb 12, 2018, 9:21 PM

This process started many years ago. When I was a student between 1989 and 1993 I could see a difference in the students who were Freshmen when I was a Senior compared to the students who were Seniors when I as a Freshmen. Many more of those younger people were "serious students" compared to the older guys.

Feb 12, 2018, 9:29 PM

if You want to do engineering or business forget it unless you are top student. Here is the secret...pick an unpopular major like agriculture or math or physics. Get your foot in the door then transfer in to what you really want to do after a semester or 2. I got 3 in this way...

Their SAT scores are the most important thing.

Feb 12, 2018, 11:03 PM

Makes certain they take their school work seriously from day one, or today if you failed that.

Feb 12, 2018, 11:22 PM

Grew up in Easley. Went to Greenville tech 2 years then transferred to Clemson in Construction Science program. This was 2008-2010 and had to have over a 3.6 to get in. I was also 26 at the time with 10 years construction experience so not sure how much that played into it. I graduated Clemson top 10 out of 200 in our curriculum. Most young kids just party and drink and don't apply themselves. Interesting atmosphere. I remember an older professor I had busting those younglings balls daily for misbehavior......lol

Feb 13, 2018, 8:44 AM

Sorry but this will not do a darn thing unless you are donating 7 figs

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic