Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I wish the NCAA would not allow these kids to leave
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

I wish the NCAA would not allow these kids to leave

Jan 8, 2014, 10:59 AM

for the NFL, MLB, NBA and etc. To me it seems a like a waste of money on scholarships. I don't think it's right and etc. I feel that if you sign a scholarship, you should be bound to it until you finish your degree. If you feel like you will have the potential to leave early and go pro, you take out student loans. All this is, with people leaving early and etc. is selfish and quitting on the team. Finish what you started.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who cares, the NCAA will be dismantled sooner than we think***

Jan 8, 2014, 11:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Maybe, maybe not. Its all boils down to the kids

Jan 8, 2014, 11:01 AM

quitting on the team. That's how I see it.

Blood is thicker than water....

Jan 8, 2014, 11:07 AM

These "kids" have to take care of their families first.

I have no problem with any kid that has a shot at the NFL leaving early, ever. All it takes is 1 fluke play for that dream to be gone forever.

Good luck to them all, I hope they make a ton of $$$$$.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: Blood is thicker than water....

Shut up Lonnie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can TD you too....

Jan 8, 2014, 11:09 AM

I can go all day like this...

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Oooooh, what a threat.

Jan 8, 2014, 11:09 AM

Threat???

Jan 8, 2014, 11:11 AM

I call it just having a fun....

That fact that it gets under your skin so much is just an added bonus...

Luv ya, Mean it.

AND the last time I checked....

Jan 8, 2014, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Oooooh, what a threat. ]

I still have freedom of speech.

I have been pretty respectful on THIS message board.

Yes, I went to a school other than Clemson. That give me the right to pull for them sometimes and against them sometimes, and to say positive things about them some times and NEGATIVE things about them sometimes.

Before the OB I honestly thought Clemson would have a hard time with Braxton Miller. They proved me wrong and good for them.

Sorry if my glasses aren't as orange as yours.

I feel like if you are a SURE first rounder then go ahead

Jan 8, 2014, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Blood is thicker than water.... ]

but if not, there's no guaranteed money and that's when your "one play" changes your life. In college, if you have a shot at the next level there is insurance you can get that will protect you to some degree.

Easy. You see it wrong!****

Jan 8, 2014, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Maybe, maybe not. Its all boils down to the kids ]

Re: the kids should allow the NCAA to leave

Jan 8, 2014, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Who cares, the NCAA will be dismantled sooner than we think*** ]

that would be the solution. NCAA is a worthless beauracracy. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honest question.

Jan 8, 2014, 11:01 AM

Lets say you were on academic scholarship at Clemson. A job opportunity is presented to you wherein you's be making a very very very healthy paycheck. A paycheck big enough to pay for finishing your schooling at another time. A job that provided the freedom to do so.

You really think it wrong to take that job? It's selfish?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honest Answer, yes. If the job is that good it will be there

Jan 8, 2014, 11:04 AM

when you prove yourself and finish your degree. Just like the NFL and etc. will. If they feel like they would get hurt and never play again, that's why the NCAA has the insurance policy so these kids can get some money from their lost potential. Any way you try to spin it is not going to change my mind on how I see it.

Yeah, I explained it to him.***

Jan 8, 2014, 11:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ignore that selfish rascal.

Jan 8, 2014, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Honest question. ]

You can't argue with someone who has a depth of thought so narrowed by self interest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why did you go to Clemson?

Jan 8, 2014, 11:14 AM

Was it not for self-improvement?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.

Jan 8, 2014, 12:39 PM

It had little bearing on other Clemson students that I was there.

If a kid wants an education it's right there for the taking. If he doesn't you can't split his head and pour it in.

I had a high school education when I finished the 10th grade but I didn't have documents to prove it until I took a GED. Education is not equal to a diplomia, you know what I'm talking about.

and if you take that job and after a month they say you've

Jan 8, 2014, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Honest question. ]

got to go and you're through with this career for life, would you regret it? I think so

Some of these kids roll the dice.

Jan 8, 2014, 12:41 PM

Some are sure to land a big contract. All of them are grown and it's their choice.

I hate to see a young person mess up. If it's only one more year of college they need they can borrow the money to finish school.

It is the nature of the beast

Jan 8, 2014, 11:03 AM

You are only going to get one to two NFL ready seasons from the kids whether they are a 5th year senior or true junior. 3 year producers are rare on any team and 4 year guys are almost unheard of. We just need to continue to recruit on a high level and have a guy ready to perform right behind the early jumpers.

So do you really think....

Jan 8, 2014, 11:05 AM

that Sammy's 3 years here were a waste of the scholarship??

Re: So do you really think....

Shut up Lonnie.

now you know that nobody thinks that---you're starting to

Jan 8, 2014, 11:17 AM [ in reply to So do you really think.... ]

reach

Of course he knows that. He's just proving the OP wrong

Jan 8, 2014, 11:49 AM

here. It's not a waste of scholarship at all, but the OP is basically saying it is since Sammy can go pro.

Communist***

Jan 8, 2014, 11:11 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

you forgot pig***

Jan 8, 2014, 11:18 AM

But seriously who cares when a players NFL ready season comes

Jan 8, 2014, 11:14 AM

Does it matter if you are Vic Beasley and have a breakout year one year into the position. Or if you are Daquan Bowers and it take you a couple years before you hit that peak. Does it matter that Tajh's 4th and 5th years were NFL worthy as opposed to Johnny Football's 2nd and 3rd.

You get what you get as a fan and be glad that we have any kids that play football at a high level. We could be fans of a terrible team. And I think it is important to remeber that I and most will always be fans of the teams before the players anyway.

personally, I try to base my opinion on whether each one is

Jan 8, 2014, 11:21 AM

really ready for the next step. If you have things you need to work on, in the NFL is sometimes not the best place to work on it (depending of course on what you're skill set is). I think MB has a great skill set but needed to come back and hone those skills to increase his value to the league and give himself a better chance of succeeding.

what you and I r***

Jan 8, 2014, 11:16 AM

the real solution is to let

Jan 8, 2014, 11:17 AM

Then go and get permanently disabled in the nfl right out of high school. I'm tired of people thinking that college football is the minor leagues of the nfl. These are STUDENT athletes. ..I don't care how much money the university of south Carolina makes off of #7 jerseys.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

what you and I think doesn't matter.

Jan 8, 2014, 11:19 AM

As long as the rules are what they are, we will see more of this. With elevated recruiting we will see more of this. Its the world we live in. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you might as well get use to it. I grew up anUK basketball fan and it is hard to follow them now because Cal has so many one and done players.

AND with the agents getting in their ear---they make THEIR

Jan 8, 2014, 11:22 AM

money right off the top.

Well scholarships are only good for a year. They aren't four

Jan 8, 2014, 11:41 AM

year deals. So it's really not wasting money. Schools don't have an obligation to fulfill that each year. There are certain requirements that must be met for student-athletes to keep their scholarship.

So you don't think Sammy Watkins is ready to get paid to play the game?

He can only hurt himself by coming back to school. Yes, he can get a degree, but he can only hurt himself in what job/amount of money he can make in his preferred trade. He's ready to enter his work force now. There's no reason for him to come back.

If I got offered seven figures without finishing my degree, guess what? I'm gone. If I don't like it or need to finish school at a later date, I can do that.

And they can do what Cam Newton did. Go to school during the summer and finish your degree.

It sounds to me like you're just wanting to take advantage of the kids for their talents rather than doing what's best for them.

That's what I got out of the OP.

Jan 8, 2014, 12:44 PM

You comprehensively covered the entire spectrum of considerations, IMO.

The NCAA cannot enforce that in court

Jan 8, 2014, 12:32 PM

Look for the limitation that is currently in place to be challenged in the near future.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I think your opionion is selfish and not based on reality

Jan 8, 2014, 11:07 PM

Scholarships are a 1 year agreement not 4 year.

Fottball palyers have a very short window of opprotunity to make their money.

"Giving" a college another year when the average time in the league is 3 years is stupid.

Protraying them as disloyal is just BullChat.

that's disgusting.***

Jan 8, 2014, 1:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic