Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting read in today's Charlotte observer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Interesting read in today's Charlotte observer

Dec 3, 2018, 9:11 AM

By Brendan Marks about the weak ACC
He contends the Tigers are good but haven't played any good teams like Bama has so he isn't sure how the Tigers will be when they play someone. I guess he knows things the committee and other coaches haven't figured out yet!
Perhaps someone can link this article

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, that’s really interesting

Dec 3, 2018, 9:26 AM

downright fascinating. Thanks for doing us all a favor and sharing that journalistic gem with us, Forrest. By the way, Jenny called... she wants to throw some rocks.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, that’s really interesting

Dec 3, 2018, 10:06 AM

Perhaps Mr. Marks needs to stick to nascar reporting. Something he perhaps can understand.btw I don’t know a Jenny!

Re: Yeah, that’s really interesting

Dec 3, 2018, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Yeah, that’s really interesting ]

Did they ever say fer sure what Jenny died from? Axing fer a friend.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link

Dec 3, 2018, 9:30 AM

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article222488655.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Auburn?

Dec 3, 2018, 11:25 AM

He counts Auburn as a quality win this year for Alabama. Is that why a number of their boosters want to fire the coach?

It's the same ole same ole with the SEC.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:43 PM [ in reply to link ]

If you go back a few years you'll see the SEC dropping postseason games to teams ranked lower then them. That's because the SEC is always over rated. Frankly, last year our QB play sucked. Sure we got past most ACC teams but our defense kept us in most games until our QB was able to do what he pleased. We had not bench as QB last year and did the best we could with what we have.

If you'll consider how we handled the ACC last year and how differently we handled the ACC this season you can tell the difference. Now consider that Bama knew KB's default was to keep the ball on the ground if his primary receiver was covered. He freaked out.

Remember all those times over the past ten years starting with Tajh when Dabo would meet the QB on the sideline and try to calm them down? Check the film. All three got tore up with things didn't go their way. I don't recall Dabo meeting Trevor and treating him as the others.

Trevor won't be the only difference. Our entire Dline has another year of development and experience and so does our receiving crew. The reason we turned Trevor loose so often was because he needed to exercise his understanding of our play book.

I think everyone should know that our passing game is what opened up our running game. Bama might beat us but I'll take Clemson and the points. My advise, if you're betting bet early because the smart money will be on Clemson and the point when it comes time to play Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He states the obvious, but he’s not wrong.

Dec 3, 2018, 10:40 AM

We played who we played, we won them all, and most in dominant fashion.

Not much else we could have done.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He states the obvious, but he’s not wrong.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:11 AM

That is exactly right. All a coach can do is play the schedule he is given. You cant blame Clemson for FSU and Louisville and a few others not being as good as they have been in the past . Remember when this season began we thought the Florida State game would be our biggest challenge. I believe that a lot of the so called experts have overlooked the fact that coach S. Played a LOT of guys this year and still won easily. That is still going to be a big plus for the Tigers as the season ends.

I will add that I think this mostly applies to TL.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:19 AM [ in reply to He states the obvious, but he’s not wrong. ]

I think he will face some of the best defenses he will have seen in ND and Bama (if that’s the way it went).

Most upperclassmen have seen a ton of fierce competition. We played plenty of top flight teams over the past two years, so the upperclassmen know what to expect, as does the coaching staff.

null

Re: Interesting read in today's Charlotte observer

Dec 3, 2018, 11:18 AM

Same song and dance about Clemson. Not given the respect we deserve but somehow keep ending up in final four.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 11:35 AM

Tis the narrative every year. Yawn.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:23 PM

Most years the narrative is poppycock. This year, it has basis.

I'm not saying we deserve any disrespect, but when your CCG foe could end the season a .500 team, your league is--temporarily--pathetic.

I've always said that the ACC is a scheme-driven league. Great coaches use smart schemes to overcome a lack of depth that the bigger football conferences possess. That's why ACC teams are so up-and-down. The schools that populate some of the other conferences have huge enrollments, funding, and endowments.

Coaches like Fuentes, Mendenhall, Babers, Adazzio and Cutcliffe, among others have to make do with less. They cannot match the "funding" for the athletes--take it however you will--that is available at FL, Ole Miss, Penn St, Cal, or those 25-30 other huge $$ research schools, so the 4-5* athletes don't even consider going there. Even UCF is twice the size of the avg ACC school.

Did you know Clemson is the 3rd-smallest school to win a NC since 1969?

Only Miami and ND were smaller. Even BYU had larger enrollment.

That's why it was critical for Dabo--wisely--to get $$ backing in order to build the program, and why other ACC coaches refer to it as their missing link. Money doesn't buy championships--see all the West Coast dchools--but it convinces championship-caliber people to become a part of what you're building.

If we continue to count on the ACC to build our résumé, we're really counting on the 13 sharks in the kiddie pool to get us ready to fight the great whites in the CFP.

Were we really #1 last year, when our QB could only use half the playbook? No, but our D was so good, we deserved to be in the CFP.

Well, we are far better this year. But we don't know how good until we get into a real shark-fight.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:51 PM

In a way I agree with you, though I still say this is really nothing new. It's just worst now because FSU is not a good team.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting read in today's Charlotte observer ]

I'm not saying we deserve any disrespect, but when your CCG foe could end the season a .500 team, your league is--temporarily--pathetic.

I've always said that the ACC is a scheme-driven league. Great coaches use smart schemes to overcome a lack of depth that the bigger football conferences possess. That's why ACC teams are so up-and-down. The schools that populate some of the other conferences have huge enrollments, funding, and endowments.

Coaches like Fuentes, Mendenhall, Babers, Adazzio and Cutcliffe, among others have to make do with less. They cannot match the "funding" for the athletes--take it however you will--that is available at FL, Ole Miss, Penn St, Cal, or those 25-30 other huge $$ research schools, so the 4-5* athletes don't even consider going there. Even UCF is twice the size of the avg ACC school.

That's why it was critical for Dabo--wisely--to get $$ backing in order to build the program, and why other ACC coaches refer to it as their missing link. Money doesn't buy championships--see all the West Coast dchools--but it convinces championship-caliber people to become a part of what you're building.

If we continue to count on the ACC to build our résumé, we're really counting on the 13 sharks in the kiddie pool to get us ready to fight the great whites in the CFP.

Were we really #1 last year, when our QB could only use half the playbook? No, but our D was so good, we deserved to be in the CFP.

Well, we are far better this year. But we don't know how good until we get into a real shark-fight.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting read in today's Charlotte observer ]

Dec 3, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting read in today's Charlotte observer ]

Iron sharpens iron

Dec 3, 2018, 11:48 AM

Haven’t heard that much this year. We will be fine

Dec 3, 2018, 12:36 PM

Except for the Georgia game, he could say the same thing about Alabama. If the $EC is so powerful and have to play those other conference schools, shouldn't Clemson be given more credit for defeating TA&M and the Gamecocks? This is another example of perception.

We play the teams on our schedule, a schedule determined many years in advance. We have no control over how good or bad our op;ponent may be.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 12:43 PM

Willy P on SportsTalk made the same point numerous times.

SouKarliner fans particularly talk about Clemson's 'weak' schedule, when they are part of it.

Even this year, they were out of the game by the end of the first quarter.

If Clemson wants to improve our SoS, maybe we should replace the Gamecocks with UCF.

It's too bad we can't be in the almighty SEC.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:39 PM

Where you always play a top 25 team, get credit for "quality wins" every week, and also get credit for "quality losses." You can even lose two games, one in blowout fashion, and still be built up by the media as being one of the four best teams.

For now, we will have to settle for being in the lowly ACC, where there are no talented players, or well-coached teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

One quick note:

Dec 3, 2018, 4:12 PM

Money buys scholarships. Scholarships win championships. Join Iptay

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic