Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ticketed for running red light on camera? GITT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 486

Ticketed for running red light on camera? GITT

Dec 11, 2018, 8:19 AM

I may or may not have driven through an intersection during a red light this morning. The intersection may or may not have a traffic camera in it.

Any of you guys ever been mailed a ticket for a similar situation?

If so, give the details.

Also, did you pay up, or fight it?

If so, how did that work out for you?

Thanks in advance.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I went down the red river

Dec 11, 2018, 8:19 AM

on your mom on camera. Does that count?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you asshat.***

Dec 11, 2018, 8:37 AM

I once got a letter saying I drove through the Lincoln

Dec 11, 2018, 8:21 AM

Tunnel and didn't pay the toll. They failed to send a photo. I was in Las Vegas at the time and my car had not been stolen. I won.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't help, but thanks.***

Dec 11, 2018, 8:37 AM

A few years ago I got a bill for $18 from EZ Pass for

Dec 11, 2018, 9:38 AM [ in reply to I once got a letter saying I drove through the Lincoln ]

going through the Lincoln Tunnel. I sent them a copy of a gas receipt from the Newark Airport within 2 minutes of said charge and told them to shove it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Yes

Dec 11, 2018, 8:39 AM

Not worth anyones time

Paid it

Just fine I guess

unless you plan on getting in more trouble

Dec 11, 2018, 8:43 AM

Don’t pay it

Cop friend told me that they just sit there forever and after a certain amount of time they technically could get a warrant and hunt you down and make you pay, but that would tie up too many resources

Virginia has signs saying speed limits enforced by aircraft,

Dec 11, 2018, 8:45 AM

but they're not and haven't been for years. HTH.

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/03/speed-limits-not-actually-enforced-by-aircraft-in-virginia/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think they would use an image of a sign that said

Dec 11, 2018, 8:47 AM

"Speed limits enforced by Aircraft"

yes, one would think that. That pic doesn't even show in the

Dec 11, 2018, 8:55 AM

linked article. I guess there's no stock photos of the correct sign, I'm not googling it.

Looks legit

Dec 11, 2018, 10:39 AM

https://goo.gl/images/PBSsQE

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and they say it would cost too much to take the signs down

Dec 11, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Virginia has signs saying speed limits enforced by aircraft, ]

lulz

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they have/had these in Florida too

Dec 11, 2018, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Virginia has signs saying speed limits enforced by aircraft, ]

we always anticipated a big suction-cup arrow to hit our windshield with a ticket attached.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I'm in the clear.

Dec 11, 2018, 8:48 AM

According to a news article, the cameras that I am thinking about are for traffic control only. The article explicitly says that the cameras cannot be used for traffic enforcement.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article177795656.html

I have a $7 parking tiocket from the City of Columbia

Dec 11, 2018, 8:54 AM

that was written last century. I think I now owe $23,576.87 and 16 years in jail. But I'm still a freeman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scofflaw!!!***

Dec 11, 2018, 8:55 AM

My dad apparently had a warrant out for his arrest on IOP

Dec 11, 2018, 9:00 AM [ in reply to I have a $7 parking tiocket from the City of Columbia ]

when I ignored a $6 parking ticket in HS. He shouldn't have let me borrow his truck to go to the beach. Kinda got what he deserved there. I guess those eventually go away, but he hasn't had to speak to any IOP LEO in the last 30 years, so we'll probably never know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My mother will be arrested on spot if she ever

Dec 11, 2018, 9:29 AM

sets foot on Australian soil again. She was given a ticket somewhere on the road between Sydney and Brisbane. They said we could mail it back instead of going to court because the court date was after we were scheduled to leave.

LOVED the speed trap btw. Mom's flying down the wrong (right) side of the road doing probably the equivalent of 80mph. Suddenly this cop jumps out into the MIDDLE of the road from behind a bush. Puts his hand up. I YELLED at mom, she freaked, slammed on brakes, anti-lock brakes activated. We screech to a halt maybe 10 feet from the cop. Cop is still standing there, fearless (or stupid). I swear another 2 seconds on me yelling and she would be in jail in Australia still for running over a cop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me preface this by saying that if you're

Dec 11, 2018, 8:56 AM

a regular red light runner, then you deserve this ticket and many more, and some beatings from nuns and other stuff. However, if it was closer to "unintentional", i.e., misjudged how much time or space you had, and it was barely red...that happens to me once or twice a year, and it's understandable.

In Arizona, they had speeding and red light cameras. If you were popped by either, you were mailed a ticket with pictures from various angles (one of my speeding tickets had me laughing in my car...by myself). If you don't respond, you get another, within 2 weeks or so. And then a third. If no response after the third one, then the city (Scottsdale, in these cases) would decide whether to try to serve you or not. These "servers" were quite the racket, as they would stake out houses and wait for you to leave or come home or whatever. If they caught you, you're fucked and you have to pay the ticket. If they didn't ever catch you, then there was never any proof that you 1) received anything in the mail or 2) had anything served to you in person, so you essentially beat the ticket. The odds of getting served after ignoring the mailed tickets was pretty low, too, something like 20 or 25%, so the obvious tactic for photo tickets was ignore and avoid, rinse, repeat.

No idea if that's how it works wherever you are. Try it and let us know. But I'm fairly certain it's federal-ish law that you can't have anything impact your driving record without positive proof of acknowledgement, so if you ignore a mailed ticket and they don't follow up, nothing can legally impact your driving record, license, points, or insurance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was a mis-judged yellow light.***

Dec 11, 2018, 9:39 AM

I got a letter from Virginia/DC area which said I didn't...

Dec 11, 2018, 9:08 AM

pay at a toll road. They knew it was me because the tag in the photo on the van read 'CLEMS0N.' I sent them a photo of my Mercedes with the tag which said 'CLEMSON.' The reader of my email admitted that the photo of the van indeed did not match the ticket they sent.

I think it was a 10 dollar ticket. I spent that 10 on cheap beer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Camera tickets are pretty easy to get out of.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:10 AM

You need to drive your car to a desolate part of town, set it on fire, and report the vehicle stolen from your driveway. Tell the cops you just woke up and it was gone out of the driveway.

That'll be $350.00 for my expert legal advice. Company policy dictates I charge for the full hour.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, got one in Wilmington

Dec 11, 2018, 9:15 AM

I feel like it had to be the fasted yellow light ever in the history of yellow lights, seemed that way on the video too. At the time I could have sworn it turned yellow just as I was going under.

Supposedly Raleigh and Willmington have the same sort of scam going on with the red light tickets. They've got a private company running the show, there have been some complaints and I've heard if you just say you weren't driving they'll wave the ticket. I just never paid mine until I had to go back.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think mobile camera/laser speed monitors should be used

Dec 11, 2018, 9:36 AM

a ton more on interstates and such. Seems much more efficient and would allow for Highway Patrol to actually patrol instead of hiding out behind overpasses trying to catch you speeding.

I think you would need to increase the speed limit to 80 in a lot of areas.

Ticket comes in the mail.

yeah, i mailed them back a photo of a $100 bill. they didn't

Dec 11, 2018, 10:01 AM

see the humor in it.

No, I haven't

Dec 11, 2018, 10:39 AM

But wife has, because careless driver. They had them all over downtown Baltimore, and they actually made people think twice before blocking intersections, running red lights, and generally being ####### city drivers. Of course, the private company running them started admitting that algorithms were wrong and they were filling quotas, so multiple lawsuits later and they were all deactivated. Now, people freely run red lights, block intersections, and do other stupid things without fear. Because in a town with 300 homicides a year plus higher than average other crimes, the police don't really have the time or inclination to enforce traffic laws. I find it especially humorous that the worst intersection is the corner where police headquarters are. I imagine the brass looking out the windows of their 7th floor offices, chuckling to themselves that people actually think such laws should be enforced as people are just trying to get to work at rush hour.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 486
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic