Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In thinking of Pearl Harbor, Clemson vets and Dec 1941
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

In thinking of Pearl Harbor, Clemson vets and Dec 1941

Dec 7, 2018, 10:28 AM

let's not forget the other events that went on this month as well. One Clemson alum, CPT Wesley Platt, was a Marine Corps commander on the US outpost at Wake Island. The Japanese tried twice, soon after attacking Pearl Harbor, to overtake the small US garrison there and failed the first time - the only time during WW2 that a Japanese invasion attempt was repulsed. The small island, essentially abandoned to its fate by the US Navy who was struggling to recover after the Dec 7 attacks, eventually fell with all the US personnel there either killed or captured. CPT Platt was one of those who survived the battle but was subject to the horrors of the Japanese prisons. He survived WW2 and went on to serve with honor in Korea where he died of wounds sustained in combat. His name can be found on Clemson's Scroll of Honor.

There is a great book about this called "Pacific Alamo: The Battle for Wake Island", by John Wukovits. Highly recommended.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In thinking of Pearl Harbor, Clemson vets and Dec 1941

Dec 7, 2018, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reminder and the information about Wake Island and with the Clemson connection with Capt. Platt. I own an original document (one in English and one in Japanese) of the Instruments of Surrender of Wake Island when we took the island back dated September 4, 1945 and signed by the Japanese Commander and by Brig. General LHM Sanderson. I also have a hand written letter from Gen. Sanderson to General James T. Moore (a South Carolna native ... Citadel Grad) giving the details of the surrender. Ironically, the first Marine onto the island for the Japanese surrender was Col. Baylor who was the last Marine off the island when we surrendered to the Japanese.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 10:39 AM

Thanks for this wonderful post. Prayers sent for all those we lost and those who endured the ordeal there. True American heros all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks for sharing that. Does put life into perspective, doesn't it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 11:25 AM

As President Roosevelt said, December 7, 1941, "a date which will live in infamy." And it has, and the actual live film that was recorded during that coward attack by Japan was nothing but a cold blooded slaughter of thousand of Americans. Even though this happen 11 years before I was even born, still today I question why the Japs that ordered that attack was allowed to live after their surrender. Most will say bc they surrendered. I say surrender don't excuse the slaughter at Pearl Harbor, and every person that was involved in the planning and carrying out that slaughter, they also should have been slaughtered. They should have been loaded on a Jap war ship, and slaughtered the same way they ordered the slaughter of our men and women on or around our ships that day in Pearl Harbor!!!

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/pearl-harbor

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 11:42 AM

Well we did nail the mastermind behind it .... Iosroku Yamamoto, in Bougainville in 1943. It is a fascinating story how we broke the Japanese code and knew exactly when he was going to be flying into the island.

Dec 7, 2018, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: In thinking of Pearl Harbor, Clemson vets and Dec 1941 ]

The same was said by The British when Americans (called traitors by the Crown) hid behind trees, stumps,etc. and slaughtered British troops who stood (honorably by the code of war at that time)while Patriots unloaded with every thing they had...
War is hell...William Tecumseh Sherman...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 11:26 AM

I have a great short read called the Children of PH - I think - lady writer was a young child during the attack and her father was one of the CO's - I think I remember her mentioning Jap pilots waving to folks as they dropped bombs...

TY for remembering! One day, it may nearly be forgotten. Folks are already starting to say the Halacaust was a hoax; as was predicted. Pray for our country...

Dec 7, 2018, 11:36 AM

I believe the Arizona Memorial is currently closed for repairs but if you ever have the opportunity to visit Hawaii, by all means, visit the memorial. It gives one a deep appreciation for those who lost their lives during that attack. Looking at the sunken Arizona with oil still leaking, it is the resting place for hundreds of men who lost their lives on that fateful day. I have visited the site several times and unashamedly admit I shed tears as I salute those men who rest therein.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 11:41 AM

I had to look it up.

"The USS Arizona Memorial, at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Hawaii, marks the resting place of 1,102 of the 1,177 sailors and Marines killed on USS Arizona during the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 and commemorates the events of that day."

Dec 7, 2018, 2:29 PM

That day is the reason that America is the Military Power that we are today. And it's bc you never know when you're going to be sucker punched by an unsuspecting neutral like a Japan. They were talking peace with us up until the day they attacked Pearl Harbor. So much for peace with those that peep through a slit in their eyes, you just can't trust them!!!

Dec 7, 2018, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: In thinking of Pearl Harbor, Clemson vets and Dec 1941 ]

I've had the honor of visiting once. Very solemn. It was surprising to me how many of the tourists were Japanese, but then again, I'd like to visit the Hiroshima memorial one day, too, so as long as the intentions are honorable, who cares.

That's probably the single most moving and raw war memorial in the world. Amazing stories from that day and afterwards.

I have been to the Pearl Harbor memorial...

Dec 7, 2018, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: In thinking of Pearl Harbor, Clemson vets and Dec 1941 ]

They play a video that is probably available on YouTube.
I cannot imagine the horror of been stuck in a sunken ship with rising water.

Dec 7, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: In thinking of Pearl Harbor, Clemson vets and Dec 1941 ]

I lived on Bougainvillea Loop inside Aliamanu Crater for Military housing for 4 very short years. I visited the Arizona Memorial right after I got to Hawaii in 1984, and again in 1988 before I left Hawaii. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but it was hard for me looking down at the Arizona knowing that so many lost their lives without a chance to fight back. It happened 11 years before I was even born, and the cowardly act by Japan, it hurts/angers me when I think about it even in the year of 2018, today!!!

I was there on a Sunday morning not too many years ago.

Dec 7, 2018, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: In thinking of Pearl Harbor, Clemson vets and Dec 1941 ]

It was peaceful and beautiful and moving - to the point of tears for me.

There weren't too many folks at the USS Arizona memorial yet that morning, but it was still eerily quiet and surreal - a respectful and aware sense of similarity to that day so many years ago that was not lost on those there to pay their respects.

A morning I will never forget.

The beaches of Normandy are WAY up my list for next.

Unrepayable sense of debt owed by me to all those that gave it all so that I might have it so easy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Dec 7, 2018, 11:44 AM

SALUTE! ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Put it in perspective

Dec 7, 2018, 1:20 PM

Total Casualties in WW2 estimates seem to range from 50 million to over 75 million.

If you count the start of the war as September 1, 1930 (invasion of Poland) and ending August 15, 1945 (Japanese surrender) that is 2,175 days. You could of course argue that the war began earlier in Asia.

So lowest estimate of deaths at 50 million / 2,175= 22,989 deaths per day. My source says the attack on Pearl Harbor killed 2,225. Only one-tenth the number that died on an average day in WW2.

Re: Put it in perspective

Dec 7, 2018, 2:29 PM

"World War II fatalities of the Soviet Union from all related causes number was approximately 27,000,000, both civilian and military, although the exact figures are disputed. The number 20 million was considered official during the Soviet era."

That's just Russia alone.

Dec 7, 2018, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Put it in perspective ]

Your screen name, originality means a lot;)

But to put it in more perspective

Dec 7, 2018, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Put it in perspective ]

those deaths were Americans, so they were worth ten times as much.

Dec 7, 2018, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Put it in perspective ]

That was a lot of deaths to have happen by a country that was talking peace out one side of their mouth while moving in position to stab us in the back like the cowards they were!!! But for the 2000 lives they took at Pearl Harbor, it cost them almost 2.5 mil people just in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. When Fat Man was dropped in Nagasaki, it about cripple all means they had to make war against any country. It ready didn't matter if they surrendered when they did bc they were through dealing anyway....

Dec 7, 2018, 5:04 PM

Japan got 80% of their oil from US. Once we cut off their oil due to their expansionist actions in Asia, they only had two years worth of oil left. We knew they would either attack somewhere or give in. They chose to attack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 6:40 PM

Yep you're, and they made a bad choice!!!

Dec 7, 2018, 6:46 PM

Thanks for posting. This is a humbling remainder of how fortunate we are in this country, which is largely attributed to the bravery of our ancestors.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic