Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey lightbulb bill, Spud, Apex and any other
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Hey lightbulb bill, Spud, Apex and any other

Dec 11, 2018, 10:30 PM

brothers and sisters who were around Clemson any time between the late 50's--60's.....Had an epiphany upon hearing an radio ad today for a Beach Boys concert to be staged next week at the North Charleston PAC on their "Reason for the Season Tour". Reminded me the first "big" rock concert I ever saw was The Beach Boys on a triple bill with Buffalo Springfield and Strawberry Alarm Clock at Fike in 1967....50+ years ago..... But then I remembered hanging around outside the old Armory in the mid-6o's listening to Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts (too young to get in)...But there were also other r'n'b acts who played the Armory as well.

Did you guys ever catch any shows or dances at the Armory back in the day??

Happy Holidays to all Tiger Fans!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey lightbulb bill, Spud, Apex and any other

Dec 11, 2018, 10:42 PM

TigerJim! Man, I was AT that File concert too! Also MY first concert. Had a little knowledge of Buffalo Springfield then, but of course NO idea we were watching two future members of CSN&Y. I remember Neil Young playing that big white "Gretsch White Falcon" guitar. When we left, the Beach Boys' tour bus was leaving & Mike Love had to chase it & flag it down! They had left him behind by mistake!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 10:46 PM

Sorry....meant FIKE - not "File." Great memories. Unfortunately, Brian Wilson was not at that show for the B.Boys. Guess he'd already cracked up.

Dec 11, 2018, 11:07 PM

71 here.

My first one was Fall 1967 at the end of Rat Season in Harcombe. Think they had Little Anthony and imperials and Otis Redding--I think. hartins has a better memory.

What say you, Harry?

I was at the Armory for the Hot Nuts..

Dec 11, 2018, 11:08 PM

Probably the craziest gig I ever attended.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Dec 11, 2018, 11:26 PM

My first was James Taylor in Littlejohn in 1973...was a junior in high school and took a beautiful senior girl...way out of my league, but it was the beginning of great experiences at my world's favorite place.

Dec 11, 2018, 11:53 PM

Wow. Saw James Taylor at Littlejohn too in '73. Also Steppenwolf & other bands there in an all day show in '70 or '71.

Anybody catch the Allman Bros there - with Duane - in '71?? Also saw Leon Russell there in '73 when he was really big. A song or 2 & pictures made the cover & his live album from that tour.

I was at that Allman's concert, Duane still one of my all

Dec 12, 2018, 7:39 AM

time favorites. I also remember the Chuck Berry concert, which had the opening acts of Marshall Tucker AND Lynyrd Skynyrd!! Another great one was Ike & Tina Turner!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Hey lightbulb bill, Spud, Apex and any other ]

Never saw any shows at the armory, but I was at the Strawberry Alarm Clock, etc., show, dating She Who Must Be Obeyed, to whom I've now been hitched for 47 years. I was more interested in the Clock guys and Buffalo Springfield than the BBs, whom I'd seen several times - they used to play the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium every year, early-mid 60s. I was thinking the triple-bill show was '68, but, you know, old. Saw many dance shows in Harcombe dining hall, Sam n Dave and such like, and the Tams were at Fike so much it seemed like they had a room in the basement. Drank much Rebel Yell amd Southern Comfort in the stairwell behind the o!d canteen,the where the cigarette machines were, during dances. Saw that Steppenwolf show, among others, at then-new
Littlejohn. Good times. 12 o'clock and all's well, the Eighth Barracks sucks!

Message was edited by: dogpappa®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 1:19 AM

I ain't that old, BUT, about 10 years younger, I'd say and I love the bands you mention, esp. The Buffalo Springfield. My introduction to "adult" comedy was an 8-track tape of my dad's that I found at about age 10 and listened to DC & the Hot Nuts - to this day, I cannot get over - "the horn blows, how about the driver" - those were incredible times and I appreciate the memory strolling !!

GO TIGERS !!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 2:33 AM

I remember Ike and Tina at Harcombe in 1968 or 69....

No...Ike and Tina were in Littlejohn!! I was there

Dec 12, 2018, 7:44 AM

If they were ever in Harcombe, it would have been prior to fall 68, when I started.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No...Ike and Tina were in Littlejohn!! I was there

Dec 12, 2018, 4:30 PM

It was '67.

Dec 12, 2018, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey lightbulb bill, Spud, Apex and any other ]

Do you remember the Hot Nuts piece about LSMFT?

It's amazing the memory of most of you older

Dec 12, 2018, 7:12 AM

brethren, as mine is sketchy at best. However, I do recall that most of our dances featured top groups in the 60's like The Four Tops, Temptations, Drifters, etc.

One concert in Fike starred Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and was packed. As for the dances, that's why early afternoon, home football games were the general rule, making the weekends huge social affairs. The cafeteria was filled with the male students in coats and ties, and the ladies in dresses.

The CDA did a great job bringing in top groups with "The Tiger" student newspaper and the student-run radio station publicizing the events.

One other point: in those days a dance was a dance, and most Clemson men and ladies knew the moves! Like our great Friend, Bill, most of us still do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's amazing the memory of most of you older

Dec 12, 2018, 7:41 AM

I remember Ray Charles and Julie London!

Dec 12, 2018, 7:37 AM

Oh yea... the Armory for Doug Clark,The Tams,General Johnson & C of B..great times!
Didn't we have the likes of Buffet and Croce at Tillman?
LJohn....Doobies(none fired up of course),Spartanburg's Marshall Tucker I believe joined Allman Bros,Leon R ,JT and Alice Cooper.Geez...hope I'm accurate!
All this without digging up the old Taps!!
CDA did do a great job!!

I was a student from 68-72. Shows I saw at Littlejohn included

Dec 12, 2018, 7:57 AM

Allman Brothers twice, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Chuck Berry, Ike & Tina, Rod Stewart, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Wet Willie, James Gang(with Joe Walsh) with Goosecreek Creek Symphony.

At that one, Goosecreek's bus had broke down on the way from KY, making them late, so the James Gang graciously agreed to go on first, they were great, everyone got smoked up, then when Goosecreek came on, it was the wildest crowd I had ever seen in Littlejohn. I'm sure many ended up in the infirmary!

Re: I was a student from 68-72. Shows I saw at Littlejohn included

Dec 12, 2018, 8:02 AM

I also remember an all day rock festival show in Littlejohn, around 70-71, with some not as big name bands like Pacific Gas & Electric, Steam, and maybe Strawberry Alarm Clock, and several others.

James Brown and the Famous Flames

Dec 12, 2018, 7:41 AM

at Fike in the Fall of 1963. Amazing show by an incredible showman. Bought his records and bored my friends with them over Christmas break...they just didn't get it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Before my time, but would have loved to have seen that one!***

Dec 12, 2018, 8:04 AM

Re: Before my time, but would have loved to have seen that one!***

Dec 12, 2018, 8:29 AM

I graduated Dec 1973. These are the concerts I have been able to document 69-73

Association Aug 69
Georgia Prophets & The Persians Oct 1, 69
  @ Harcombe
Smokey Robinson & Miracles Oct 17, 69
Four Tops Oct 18, 69 Beat WF 28-14
4 Seasons Oct 24, 69
Bob Hope Oct 25, 69 Lost Alabama 13-38
Brooklyn Bridge April 1970
Jr Walker & All Stars Sep 11, 70
BJ Thomas Sep 12, 70 Beat Citadel 24-0
Like & Tina Turner Oct 9, 70
Three Dog Night Oct 24, 70
Lost Duke. 10-21
Chicago Jan 23, 71
Allman Bros w/Duane Sep 11, 71
Lost Ky 10-13
James Gang & Goose Creek Symphony  Sep 25, 72 Lost UGA 0-28
Rare Earth Oct 30, 71 Beat WF 10-9
Poco Nov 20, 71 Lost NC St 23-31
Flash Cadillac & the Continental Kids Apr 12, 72 amphitheater
Rod Stewart & Faces Apr 22, 72
Beach Boys Clemson Nov 4, 1972
J Geils Band Nov 16, 73
Justice Nov 17, 73 Y Beach "52 kegs of beer" Lost Md 13-28

Other concerts I don't know dates for:
The Rascals with Mel & Tim
Gary Puckett
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Steppenwolf, PG&E, Steam 1st and only Rock Festval at Clemson
Tony Joe White
The Tams amphitheater
Jerry Butler

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nuts! Hot Nuts; you get them from the p-nut man***

Dec 12, 2018, 7:45 AM

Dec 12, 2018, 8:55 AM

Saw Jay & the teckniques in Fike along with the great piano duo Ferrante and Teischer. Also the Buckinghams. In the dining hall remember well the Platters and the Impressions...

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Dec 12, 2018, 9:25 AM
buffett.jpg(97.6 K)

Jimmy Buffett

Dec 12, 2018, 9:26 AM

How do you post a picture in the body of the message so it is seen?

I remember that one!

Dec 12, 2018, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey lightbulb bill, Spud, Apex and any other ]

Sat on the ledge outside my room (A 733) with a cooler of beer watching the concert through the open window!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember that one!

Dec 13, 2018, 12:53 PM

Saved yourself $2.50 !!! haha

Dec 12, 2018, 9:32 AM

somewhat off topic, but how bout the Stones Steel Wheels tour in Death Valley ? WOW - what a way to start bringing concerts back to CU after a long hiatus ! Amzing show

Dec 12, 2018, 10:08 AM

That was a great show!

I was there! 1989, great show.***

Dec 12, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey lightbulb bill, Spud, Apex and any other ]

I was there, too

Dec 12, 2018, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey lightbulb bill, Spud, Apex and any other ]

Great show

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

'72-'76. Chuck Berry, Beach Boys, Doobie Brothers,...

Dec 12, 2018, 3:45 PM

Leon Russell, Edgar Winter Group, Jethro Tull, Flatt and Scruggs (in the Amphitheter), Flash Cadillac/Continental Kids (in Harcombe), many others. Oh the memories.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: '72-'76. Chuck Berry, Beach Boys, Doobie Brothers,...

Dec 12, 2018, 4:09 PM

If anyone can put a date on any of these other shows or post a ticket or picture, please do!

Dec 12, 2018, 4:14 PM

Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, Strawberry Alarm Clock was April 7, 1968

Remember them all!

Dec 12, 2018, 4:24 PM

1967 was my Freshman year, and I started it off with Gene Pitney at the G'Ville Auditorium the night before I matriculated. All the dances in Harcombe, BB at Fike, the Armory... one of my favorites was The Association at Littlejohn in 1968 (or was it '69?). First concert I ever saw that was truly a "production." CDA did a fantastic job getting the best groups my first two years.

Great memories! Thanks for dredging them up.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic