Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: San Diego: Seals, lighthouses and good food make the trip worthwhile
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

New Story: San Diego: Seals, lighthouses and good food make the trip worthwhile

Mar 18, 2018, 8:01 AM

San Diego: Seals, lighthouses and good food make the trip worthwhile

When the pairings for the first round of the NCAA Tournament were announced and Clemson was placed in San Diego for the first two rounds, I had mixed emotions. I have always heard that San Diego was a great place to visit, but flying cross-country after a busy week that included spring football practice, baseball, basketball interviews and Pro Day didn’t exactly thrill me. It’s been worth it. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: San Diego: Seals, lighthouses and good food make the trip worthwhile

Mar 18, 2018, 8:40 AM

Great read DH ___ as always,thanx for the insite !!!!! GO TIGERS !!!

Re: New Story: San Diego: Seals, lighthouses and good food make the trip worthwhile

Mar 18, 2018, 8:52 AM

Thanks!

Don’t mention Omaha.

Mar 18, 2018, 8:57 AM

People will think you’re bringing up baseball postseason now and that trip is not going to happen because we’ve lost 2 games IN A ROW so we’re not “elite” blah blah blah.

San Diego sounds beautiful. I’ve got my fingers crossed that you get to visit San Antonio, too, before the b-ball season is over.

~JKB

I was stationed there for 6 years, lived in Pacific Beach

Mar 18, 2018, 9:06 AM

And used to eat at El Prez all the time. DH, you are not kidding about the food there....you should check out the OB Noodle House in Ocean Beach too. Best garlic wings in the world and over 40 beers on tap. SD is the prettiest place in the nation IMO. A city of over a million that just does not seem that big. Best golf in the country around there too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was stationed there for 6 years, lived in Pacific Beach

Mar 18, 2018, 9:26 AM

Just curious but is there really such a thing in San Diego as "June Gloom"? I worked with a woman in Greenville who moved to San Diego in 99. She talked about "June Gloom"which I had never heard about till then. She said the weather was cool and damp in June but then she said the weather got really nice from July on till almost November.

Absolutely....fog comes in, similar to San Francisco

Mar 18, 2018, 11:06 AM

And makes the 68 degrees feel damp and cool and gloomy. Like SF, May through June has good temps but not as pretty as fall and spring weather. They call it marine layer out there because it comes in off the Pacific Ocean. SD has a tropical feel to it that you do not get in other SoCal areas. Similar to Monterey and SF in NoCal but much warmer. One of the coldest nights of my life (outside of Iraq and Afghanistan in winter) was at a Giants game in SF in May. Bone chilling air. Golf on Monterey peninsula in summer can freeze you too when the haze comes in off of Pebble Beach and gets in your bones. SD is not anywhere near that cold but has similar atmospherics with the June gloom. Hardly any rain though. I may be moving back there soon. I do not care about politics and liberal crap. I just live life and control what I can control. There are great folks and idiots all together, in every region of this country, South included. Ill take SD over anywhere else Ive lived, hands down.

But 68 feels great if you have been in Columbia or Chuck

Mar 18, 2018, 11:47 AM

town or inland California in June.

You ain't kidding about that...***

Mar 18, 2018, 12:06 PM

Mar 18, 2018, 9:16 AM

Looks great out there, though I think Charleston will always be my favorite city (the water is warmer in Charleston).I had a chance to go to California from Arizona but put it off and then before I knew it I was living back in Greenville and never made it to So Cal.Such is life and it's still there and the Tigers play today for the Sweet 16! Life is good.But I really do want to try their Mexican food out there ! lol So who has been out there?Did you like the city /beaches/food?

And

Mar 18, 2018, 9:22 AM

You didn’t go to the San Diego zoo?

Mar 18, 2018, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: San Diego: Seals, lighthouses and good food make the trip worthwhile ]

I have been there, spent a few days in San Diego a few years ago. It was a business trip and I didn't control where I eat most of the time so can't comment on the food. What struck me was the tropical feel of the area. Sounds strange but there were blooming trees that I couldn't identify, orchids and other tropical looking flower beds every where. Really beautiful. So different from the East coast and much prettier than the rest of California.

Mar 18, 2018, 9:23 AM

:)

Outed on TNet

Mar 18, 2018, 9:59 AM

Time to clean up my act and behave.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Viejas Arena Observations

Mar 18, 2018, 10:17 AM

I'll admit right off the bat that I haven't been in very many college basketball arenas, but I found Viejas to be odd for two reasons. First, there are no entry tunnels. Everyone enters the arena in the rafters and must descend fully to your seats and then ascend fully to go to the concessions and restrooms. The older Clemson fans sitting near me in the lower seats in row 5 had a somewhat difficult time making the climb. Second, the concessions and bathrooms are all outside of the arena in an area enclosed by a fence around the arena. The weather in San Diego is quite nice so they can get away with this, but it was still quite odd to me. Then again, I haven't been in too many college basketball arenas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Ooooo Valerie

Mar 18, 2018, 10:18 AM

Don't tell your wife ;)

So cool, she was like
Jazz on a summer's day
Music, high and sweet
Then she just blew away
Now she can't be that warm
With the wind in her arms

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Om a ha ha!***

Mar 18, 2018, 11:49 AM

Mar 18, 2018, 12:34 PM

Great report and San Diego is great! I am glad you made the most of a short trip! I am in the area at least once a month and the only thing you missed was a quick trip to TJ for some real tacos. I was also impressed with the various types of ethnic food that Viejas had to offer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

San Diego Is Heaven-Paradise West.

Mar 18, 2018, 1:38 PM

Beautiful scenery. Friendly people.
The only knock I have on it is that its expensive out there.

Leaving for California Dreaming in Greenville and might

Mar 18, 2018, 2:32 PM

watch the games on tv :)

Re: Leaving for California Dreaming in Greenville and might

Mar 18, 2018, 2:33 PM

get the blackened prime rib. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My handle is all about San Diego. Lived there 7 years.

Mar 18, 2018, 6:13 PM

Absolutely love San Diego. Great restaurants, nightlife, sights, beaches, surf, and don't get me started on the women there.

I was young, single, and working for a huge corp with a super nice condo over-looking the ocean downtown. Oh, and I had a sailboat too. Dating was like fishing with dynamite.

Married and happy now but I'll NEVER forgot San Diego days....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Edit: ForgEt***

Mar 18, 2018, 7:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic