Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remember how much of a House of Horrors Winston-Salem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Remember how much of a House of Horrors Winston-Salem

Sep 10, 2020, 12:20 PM

used to be for the Tigers with Bowden?

That Independent Article alludes to it but it's hard to believe how truly bad we used to be at Wake. Even when we won up there it was a nightmare:

- 2003: Wake goes up 45-0 on the Tigers before we score 17 garbage points in what was probably the low point of Bowden's entire Clemson Tenure (maybe the '04 Duke game...)
- 2005: We lose 35-27 to a 4-7 Wake team
- 2006: Because of a fluke in the conference scheduling, we have to go back-to-back years at Wake. Clemson struggles for 3 quarters, Wake goes to kick a FG at the beginning of the 4th quarter to go up 20-3 when Gaines Adams man-handles their kicker and returns the ball for a TD, spurring on an improbable Clemson comeback.
- 2008: Tigers go up to Wake and lay an absolute egg. CJ Spiller, arguably the greatest offensive weapon in Clemson history, gets TWO offensive touches before leaving with an injury in the second quarter.

Probably also worth mentioning that in the '04 game at DV, we came in preseason top 15 and had to go into double OT to beat Wake. And these were not good Wake Forest teams--ironically the one team we did beat up there during that stretch (2006) went 11-3 and won the ACC.

FWIW, Dabo is 11-0 vs. Wake, 5-0 in W-S with an average score of 40.8-11.8.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember how much of a House of Horrors Winston-Salem

Sep 10, 2020, 12:23 PM

But T.B. is a good Christian man, (wink)...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2020, 12:40 PM

they had Bowden's number like #ick DSheridan had Danny's .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes I kind of think that Syracuse might be Dabo's

Sep 10, 2020, 12:46 PM

version...

Just about everywhere but Columbia...

Sep 10, 2020, 12:47 PM

was house of horrors for Bowden. His teams were so unbelievably inconsistent.

Beat a nationally ranked Miami team in Miami one week and turn around and lose to Duke the next.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Just about everywhere but Columbia...

Sep 10, 2020, 1:06 PM

Consistency comes with talent and depth.

Without it, you'd basically NC State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2020, 2:07 PM

But NC State has been STUPIDLY consistent

1993-99 Mike O'Cain 7 41-40 .506
2000-06 Chuck Amato 7 49-37 .570
2007-12 Tom O'Brien 6 40-36 .526
2013–present Dave Doeren 7 47–42 .528

But otherwise I agrere

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow, looks very much like the coots of the south

Sep 10, 2020, 3:31 PM

they are like.. sister schools. They also play like girls

Nancy State has often been referred to as...

Sep 10, 2020, 4:28 PM

the uof6c of the ACC.

Incredibly mediocre program with limited talent and only average to below average coaching. Both fan bases are unbelievably ignorant and deluded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tom O'brien had such a weird career--he had a good thing

Sep 10, 2020, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Just about everywhere but Columbia... ]

going at BC, jumped ship for at best a lateral move in the same Division, flamed out, and hasn't coached since....

Sep 10, 2020, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Just about everywhere but Columbia... ]

Like hearing of the Kennedy Assassination, i can go to the exact spot i was sitting, listening to that field goal and i live 500 miles away... It breaks the heart...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ditto. I also have a very distinct memory for some reason of

Sep 10, 2020, 1:38 PM

one of the local TV stations down here airing a clip of them telling SC St HC Buddy Pugh that Clemson had lost to Duke and he looked shocked.

I remember sitting in my car listening to them lineup the game-winning FG and it was like 53 yards or something pretty far and turning to my buddy --"There's no way they make this! We're gonna pull it out in OT!"

Doesn't seem like 2004 was that long ago but can you believe having any games now that you'd only be able to listen to on the radio?

Re: Ditto. I also have a very distinct memory for some reason of

Sep 10, 2020, 2:03 PM

I’ll never forget the game Ford lost to Duke, Spurrier & Cuthbert on the road. I was listening to the game on the radio. Now with Bowden the unexpected losses were just frustrating and too expected.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As revered as Ford is, after the '81 season, he was good

Sep 10, 2020, 3:29 PM

for about a head-scratcher a year that kept us out of National Title contention.

I was at the game...

Sep 10, 2020, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Ditto. I also have a very distinct memory for some reason of ]

and to this day I still maintain that a big gust of wind blew just as the Duke kicker attempted that FG.

A few other things I remember about that game:

1 - Clemson could not throw the ball at all even with two speedy receivers (Stuckey and Currie) that were faster than ANYONE in the Duke secondary,

2 - The coaches pulled Reggie Merriweather. Reggie was running all over the Duke defense late, but the coaches pulled him and put in Duane Coleman which totally killed the momentum.

3 - Duke had something like 20 total yards rushing the entire game, but beat us consistently up the middle and on the left side with passes to a TE that Clemson never did figure out how to cover.

4 - Special teams play was horrid (1 fumble, 4 kick returns for a total of 20 yards, and 2 punt returns for a total of 5 yards). Jack Hines, Bowden's brother-in-law, was the coach for special teams.

Sep 10, 2020, 1:42 PM

I remember it all too well. They had more gimmicks than Rob Spence and Chad Morris combined, and it had us stuck with our you know what up our you know what.

Sep 10, 2020, 1:46 PM

Me and some buddies drove up from Charleston to Winston-Salem for the 2003 game...that was a long $&*%# ride home.

I was in HS at the time on a trip with no access to the

Sep 10, 2020, 3:37 PM

score so I called into one of the local network affiliates to ask what the score was and the guy didn't tell me the score, just said "I don't think the Tigers are gonna pull it out, man...."

Sep 10, 2020, 3:39 PM

I remember beating Miami one week then losing at Duke the next. Could not even buy a score.

Sep 10, 2020, 4:56 PM

Maybe it is the name.

The final nail in the coffin for Jeff Bowden being OC at FSU was a 30-0 beatdown at Wake. He announced he was leaving FSU two days later.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2020, 5:11 PM

I went to that game in 08. Probably the worst experience I've ever seen in person. Team had no energy from beginning to end and lost to a group they should have handled easily. I don't go to many away games and that one made me take a break for a few years. Turrible.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic