Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was hopeful the whole State of the Union thing was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 653

I was hopeful the whole State of the Union thing was

Jan 23, 2019, 3:11 PM

just a bunch of overblown drama magnified by cable news, since Speaker Pelosi had just sent a nice letter with a request, and the President sent one back answering.

But now she has said that the House will not pass a resolution for a joint session to accommodate the address.

I loathe the SOTU address as it's currently practiced, and wish with my whole heart that presidents would submit it in writing, but this is wrong and childish on the part of the Speaker. This is personal and political, not practical.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even if protocol calls for the House to invite the Prez

Jan 23, 2019, 3:16 PM

It is the President's right and tradition to give the address. Pelosi is showing her a s s once again.....

Re: Even if protocol calls for the House to invite the Prez

Jan 23, 2019, 6:31 PM

He can still inform the Congress of the State of the Union in writing. It is not a requirement to give an address in the House, and it has only been a tradition for about 100 years. Also, the president does not have a right to give a speech in the chambers of the legislative branch, any more than the Speaker of the House has a right to give a speech in the Oval Office.

lol....”only been a tradition for 100 years”

Jan 24, 2019, 7:27 AM

Clemson has only been a school for 130 years. We should change our alma mater to “I’m too sexy” since it hasn’t been a tradition for very long.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol....”only been a tradition for 100 years”

Jan 24, 2019, 8:15 AM

100 years is nothing on the evolution time scale of 4.7 billion years.

Re: lol....”only been a tradition for 100 years”

Jan 24, 2019, 9:12 AM [ in reply to lol....”only been a tradition for 100 years” ]

The point was that it's a tradition, not a requirement or constitutional mandate.

What's going to happen now is that either the Senate

Jan 23, 2019, 3:16 PM

will invite him to deliver it there, and no Democrats will attend, or the President will have it elsewhere, and no Democrats will attend.

It's essentially a pep rally now instead of a State of the Union address.

Re: What's going to happen now is that either the Senate

Jan 23, 2019, 6:33 PM

Did you think it was ever going to be anything other than a pep rally? All Trump wants is a bunch of people looking at him, and Pelosi is denying him that because he (and McConnell) refuses to open the government.

I think the SOTU address in necessary drama

Jan 23, 2019, 3:18 PM

to show the voters just how petty individual members of Congress can be and how few Patriots populate the body....

I think the President wins the "PR" battle here.

Jan 23, 2019, 3:19 PM

He's got the more mature and reasoned position.

while he's losing the PR "war"***

Jan 23, 2019, 3:54 PM

Pelosi will turn that around for him

Jan 23, 2019, 5:31 PM

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

his poll numbers seem to suggest otherwise, but maybe***

Jan 23, 2019, 6:47 PM

Hope Trump stands there on the floor of a

Jan 23, 2019, 3:19 PM

half-filled House. Or fully empty if the GOP wishes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was hopeful the whole State of the Union thing was

Jan 23, 2019, 3:22 PM

He's dropping in the polls, Pelosi is rising. Impeachment is getting more popular among the public.

Trump painted himself into a corner and the Democrats have zero incentive to help him get out of it.

Why on Earth would Pelosi change her shtick now?

She is changing by disinviting him...

Jan 23, 2019, 3:24 PM

She already invited him, after the shutdown already started. She asked him to reschedule because of security concerns, and for no other reason than that. The people whose job it is exactly to know whether there are security concerns said that there weren't.

The Speaker is wrong on this.

Re: She is changing by disinviting him...

Jan 23, 2019, 3:27 PM

PR is all that matters. She's tired of winning, but she's not going to stop. Anything to keep the shutdown in the front page is huge for Dems.

Also, the "childish" thing is lolworthy when your opponent is Trump. It's impossible to look childish by comparison.

Pelosi understands one thing that a lot of people are ignoring: no one cares about the SOTU. She's not canceling the Super Bowl.

I would say it's not easy to make this President look

Jan 23, 2019, 3:29 PM

like the mature one in a political spat, but she's managed to accomplish that rare task here.

She is not governing. she is opposing Trump. That is not

Jan 23, 2019, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: She is changing by disinviting him... ]

a good look for her.

Her shtick was that we cant afford $5.7 Billion.

Now James Clyburn has come out and said that Dems would approve $5.7 with the stipulation that it COULD NOT BE A WALL.

Well which is it, can we not afford it or are you just being petty?

We all know the answer.

as for petty, If I were Trump my next move would be to restrict ALL military flights for members of congress until the shutdown is over. As the Commander in Chief, it is within his preview. Also as Secret Service is in the Executive Branch, no SS details would leave Washington until A deal is made.

She needs to be in Washington until this thing is settled. If she wants to leave, walk or take the bus.

Re: She is not governing. she is opposing Trump. That is not

Jan 23, 2019, 3:42 PM

All because Trump promised a wall and that Mexico would pay for it.

give him $5.7 Billion to paint a mural at the border.***

Jan 23, 2019, 3:44 PM

Jan 23, 2019, 3:43 PM [ in reply to She is not governing. she is opposing Trump. That is not ]

If I don't need a car, but I do need surgery, I may be able to afford a $500/mo bill for my surgery, but not the same payment for a car.

Democrats have never said we don't have the money, they've said it's a waste of money.

Jan 23, 2019, 6:14 PM [ in reply to She is not governing. she is opposing Trump. That is not ]

Pubs spent 8 years before Trump not trying to govern anything, only oppose. Seems Dems are now using some of that same playbook.

Wow, now the President has ceded to her

Jan 24, 2019, 6:12 AM

and will delay the SOTU. I am honestly very surprised. First, the President comes off as the mature one, and now he is the gracious one.

Well done, Mr. President.

Re: Wow, now the President has ceded to her

Jan 24, 2019, 6:16 AM

I guess we all make it however we want to see it all. Trump gracious and mature? I think he was backed in a corner and just lost. He had no choice really.

In this specific situation, absolutely.

Jan 24, 2019, 6:19 AM

I have a hard time thinking of other situations where I've said that about him, but I call it like I see it.

He has a great opportunity here to unite with Congress to pass a good spending bill, and then deliver a positive SOTU address in the wake of that compromise. Can you imagine how his favorability numbers would increase if he did this? And Pelosi's, too.

I've already seen headlines indicating that

Jan 24, 2019, 6:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Wow, now the President has ceded to her ]

at least one "conservative commentator" is criticizing the President for this decision.

Mr. President, tune those people out! They do not want what is best for our nation...they just want to stir up division! Turn off Fox News and stay on this course!

Re: I've already seen headlines indicating that

Jan 24, 2019, 6:27 AM

He probably didn't want to give the SOTU and his options were limited anyway. That said, conservative stations are disappointed with Trump, because as of yesterday they didn't think it would work out as it did. They don't like that Pelosi "won". Trump's options just weren't there.

If only it wouldn't be seen as "winning" and "losing".***

Jan 24, 2019, 7:00 AM

Re: If only it wouldn't be seen as "winning" and "losing".***

Jan 24, 2019, 7:05 AM

Exactly.

Replies: 29
| visibility 653
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic