Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was a "student athlete" but was not on scholarship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

I was a "student athlete" but was not on scholarship

Mar 27, 2014, 11:16 AM

I worked part-time to pay my own way through Clemson, up front, in cash. I mowed lawns, raked leaves, and painted houses and apartments. When I barely scraped two nickels together to pay my tuition, I frequently did not have enough money to buy textbooks. I would borrow friends textbooks. I barely graduated with a 2.something. The only advantage being a "student athlete" brought me was limited access to Vickery Hall (which helped). If I had been on scholarship, A) I wouldn't have had to work part time. B)I would've had textbooks C) My GPA would've been much higher D) I could've gone to Vickery Hall more E) I would've paid for neglected things like dentist, fashion, social life, etc.
I went back for my Masters at Clemson and paid for it and the textbooks easily since I was gainfully employed from my first degree. Not having to struggle, and having textbooks this time around, I graduated with a 3.97 (all A's and one B).

Even though the Masters Degree is more prestigious, I had the 3.97 and further improved my job prospects, it is my Bachelors Degree that means so much more to me. It represents a monumental struggle that I overcame.

I agree with Dabo's comments that we have enough entitlement.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: I was a "student athlete" but was not on scholarship

Mar 27, 2014, 11:20 AM

Good post. technically if you are on scholarship I think you either cant work or you options are very limited. Cant trade on ones fame as an athlete .

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mark may implied all kids in college

Mar 27, 2014, 11:20 AM

Are rich and get to do more things than any athlete. You must be lying.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I did get to travel to 9 states. I did get to do and see

Mar 27, 2014, 11:24 AM

alot of cool things. I can't argue that. But I was paying dearly for it. LOL, I also got free shoes and a warm-up suit!

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

it is too minimal to have been brought up but the shoes and

Mar 27, 2014, 11:31 AM

clothes are one thing that I thought of that gets lost in all the benefits they receive and they eat better than most people----but that's a God given right isn't it.....to eat really good. Well while I'm at it----there's the travel to places they might not get to go to, peform well enough and you go to a bowl that gives out some pretty nice goodies and wines and dines you (so to speak). Tuition, books, room and board, food, shoes and clothes, etc., etc, probably adds up to quite a bit.

Medical insurance is obvious but also a major benefit...***

Mar 27, 2014, 1:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all due respect to Dabo...

Mar 27, 2014, 11:24 AM

Let's remember that he's making millions off the current system the way that it's setup now. I don't think he's got the most objective voice in all of this.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like he has one of the most objective voices of all

Mar 27, 2014, 11:25 AM

considering his college experience was similar to mine. At least I didn't have to share a bed with my mother!

Re: With all due respect to Dabo...

Mar 27, 2014, 11:26 AM [ in reply to With all due respect to Dabo... ]

actually he has seen the extremes from a poor walk on to scholarship, to big coaching salary. So I think his perspective carries some weight.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Money going to players will mean less going to coaches.

Mar 27, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to With all due respect to Dabo... ]

So most coaches are probably going to be against that happening.

they're all overpaid anyway, I mean really it's just a

Mar 27, 2014, 11:32 AM

status symbol anyway isn't it.

Do you feel the same way about your CEO making

Mar 27, 2014, 1:38 PM [ in reply to With all due respect to Dabo... ]

20x more than you? Similar principle here, except Dabo isn't making that much more than the players are in their compensations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Considering perks, lifetime insurance, stock options, and

Mar 27, 2014, 1:47 PM

retirement 'balloons', it's probably considerably more than 20X....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He knows way more than most people on this board since he

Mar 27, 2014, 11:50 PM [ in reply to With all due respect to Dabo... ]

was a walk on at Bama. Read his life story and you will see he has earned everything he gets. Wasn't given to him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder if someone wanted to pay you to sign something

Mar 27, 2014, 11:25 AM

For them, if you would have been allowed to do so.

Not going to lie, I would probably have taken the money

Mar 27, 2014, 11:27 AM

and bought textbooks and a sweatshirt with it.

What you would have done with the money is

Mar 27, 2014, 4:16 PM

your business, but you had the opportunity to earn outside income that is denied to scholarship athletes. Its easy for anyone to say "well they don't have to pay for their tuition" and yea that's true, but the money now is too big for that to be enough of a reason.

Exhibit 1A is the coaches salaries. This is a big business pure and simple.

Re:Did you play for Hatfield?

Mar 27, 2014, 11:29 AM

I admire you overcoming adversity. But I suspect no one could overcome that though. ;)

overcome---yes, leave a lasting mark----definitely!***

Mar 27, 2014, 11:33 AM

I was not on the FB team. I was there during the Hatfield

Mar 27, 2014, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re:Did you play for Hatfield? ]

era though.

me too......***

Mar 27, 2014, 11:49 AM

Re: I was not on the FB team. I was there during the Hatfield

Mar 27, 2014, 11:51 AM [ in reply to I was not on the FB team. I was there during the Hatfield ]

You should get a condolence card just for that.

I can ner resist the opportunity to make a dig at him. he and hootie are the two sorriest coaches I recall at CU. Granted the era woas tough for Hootie. Hatfiled had no excuse. He took at top 10 program and tried to run it in the ground

If running it in the ground was the goal he succeeded :)***

Mar 27, 2014, 1:37 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He let Tommy West finish it.***

Mar 27, 2014, 1:39 PM

Congrats; how did u get into GradSchool with a "2 something?

Mar 27, 2014, 2:15 PM

Just curious?

The issue is not that football players

Mar 27, 2014, 3:25 PM

work any harder than you did to graduate (by the way kudos to you for doing that all on your own and making things happen - I do really respect that as my education was paid for by my parents).

The issue is that despite your hard work and devotion, you did not generate $31 million in revenue and $13.7 million dollars in profit for the school every year you were attending.

http://college-sports.findthebest.com/l/13417/Clemson-University-Football

It has gotten to be too much money generated from the athletes for them to ignore it. I'm not thrilled with it but I think most people have seen this coming for at least 5 years now. College football is about to become minor league football with College logos.

imo, the current state of college major sports, football, ba

Mar 27, 2014, 3:54 PM

sketball, and baseball are nothing more than as you say minor league sports with logos. so many players are there only as a stepping stone to the next level and not to get an education as implied with the "student-athlete." the sad part is that this does little good for the players. if they don't make it at the next level they have nothing to fall back on and the few that do make it comparatively short careers.

So football money earned by football players

Mar 27, 2014, 4:06 PM

helped you get your education and allow you to play sport.

Yes, they deserve nothing.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: I was a "student athlete" but was not on scholarship

Mar 27, 2014, 4:56 PM

Is "entitlement" what's at issue here? These players aren't saying that they have an absolute right to free money. They are asserting their right to negotiate for their compensation. Pretty sure the rest of us already have that right.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic