Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Blowout loss to Pitt helped shape the Clemson program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

New Story: Blowout loss to Pitt helped shape the Clemson program

Nov 9, 2016, 7:01 AM

Blowout loss to Pitt helped shape the Clemson program

The last time Clemson and Pitt faced off was in 1977, a 34-3 victory for the Panthers. However, that game brings back memories and helped shape the future of the Clemson program. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like the blowout to WVU helped us retool.

Nov 9, 2016, 7:28 AM

Good article.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Blowout loss to Pitt helped shape the Clemson program

Nov 9, 2016, 7:43 AM

Well I hope we help shape there's this Saturday

Nov 9, 2016, 8:49 AM

I'm with you, hopefully we can prove to Pitt that they need to make some changes in their program!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2016, 8:00 AM

I remember in 1977, as we drove through Jacksonville and caught sight of the stadium and the Goodyear Blimp, my friend Ernie (RIP) shouted, "This is Big Time College Football!"

He would love what is happening!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2016, 8:24 AM

At 7, I didn't really realize how important it was, but my dad made sure to tell me how long it had been since Clemson had been in a bowl.

Nov 9, 2016, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Blowout loss to Pitt helped shape the Clemson program ]

I remember Dorsett running loose all night and taunting our D with the football as he crossed the goal line. Matt Cavanaugh was the QB. This is the only team (other than Bama--early years) that I have been waiting to avenge.

Nov 9, 2016, 8:11 AM

We were at the Pitt Gator Bowl. The Pitt fans were very arrogant after their win. On the way out of the stadium they said things like "Clemson didn't deserve to be here." I had to "separate" my wife from a mouthy Pitt fan. It will be sweet to be at the game on Saturday.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2016, 8:58 AM

I was at the Gator Bowl in 1977 (I was older than 7!). There were some great years after that until the 'mediocrity' of 1991-2009. But I must say that I think that THESE are the good old days! (Someone else might have said that first).
Go Tigers!

Nov 9, 2016, 9:39 AM

remember those years well,at that time Clemson was Linebacker U.we had more lineman in the NFL than any other college, and names such as Perry (william and Michael Dean), Fuller, Jordan,Gardocki, Treadwell,Diggs,and who could ever forget that guy named Charlie Baughman?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2016, 10:17 AM

Yes, Charlie took one on the chin and for the team. :)

It was fun watching those Tiger teams improve. I thought the '78 team was one of the best in Clemson history. Steve Fuller at qb. Lester Brown had a great year at rb and the defense was rock solid. Was sorry to see Pell leave, but Danny Ford more than made up the slack.

Nov 9, 2016, 10:34 AM

My parents took my sister and me to the Gator Bowl in 77. As we drove down, a car passed us with several Clemson fans in it. The car had a CB radio antenna on it. Since we had one too we called out on it and made contact with them. It was Coach Howard and several others from the athletic department. I was thrilled and we had a CB conversation with Coach off and on the rest of the way down there. Remember it like yesterday. He was hilarious on the CB too.

I was 10 when we played Pitt and cried like a baby when we

Nov 9, 2016, 12:25 PM

Lost that one....lol I love Clemson football and the years before where really tough as a kid. I remember my Dad saying "son we can't win them all and sometimes your not at your best, today we got whipped but it will make us stronger for tomorrow".

I was so upset that I thought it would hurt our recruiting for years to come but my dad was right we got better. 1980 and 1981 where great years for Us and changed the program forever.

Go Tigers, avenge the loss before you where born with a 56-14 win. I believe we can do it because the offense is starting to rock and the defense is getting better and may be the best ever by the seasons end. I love the way we are trending.

We should always be #1 because "Best is our standard" and we have played the toughest schedule and won them all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

#1 Pitt aided our 1981 natty by choking vs PSU in final game***

Nov 9, 2016, 2:41 PM

would have killed us even worse if Dorsett had been there

Nov 9, 2016, 4:40 PM

still.

First guy I ever saw line up 7-yards back of center in the TB position - the "deep" I.

He was also the fastest I have ever seen to the hole - may still be.

Total different game after Tony D.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic