Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball improvement is obvious.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

Basketball improvement is obvious.

Mar 13, 2020, 4:09 PM

In the first six years of Brad Brownell’s tenure, we made postseason play twice (NCAAs in year one, and NIT in year four). Applying the logic often used here, which is to discount/minimize Brad’s NCAA Tournament in year one since it was “with Purnell’s players,” that would be just one postseason tournament appearance for Brad during his first 6 years.

In the last three years - years 7-9 - we have made postseason play all three years (one NCAA and two NITs).

This year, we would’ve made the NIT per Joe Lunardi. Assuming this, that would be postseason play four years in a row. This is a clear improvement.

Although we all want to see more NCAA Tournaments, there is no denying that the program has been better the last four years. This coincides with the new facilities, which should not be surprising.

Recruiting rankings are steadily improving over these last few years as well.

I remain optimistic about our program. Next year is obviously a very important year, and I believe we will have a good season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

2 serious questions for you.

Mar 13, 2020, 4:13 PM

a. What are your expectations for next year? Wins, ACC placement, and Postseason.

b. What do you believe should happen if expectations are not met?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Top 6 ACC finish and NCAA Tournament berth.

Mar 13, 2020, 4:31 PM

I assume that would mean at least 11-12 ACC wins and at least 18-19 overall wins (regular season).

If this occurs, Brad should stay. If not, it will be time to go in a different direction.

All of this assumes that we don’t have significant injuries or unexpected departures for next year.

Question for you: what do we have to achieve next year for you to want to keep Brownell? Or do you want to move on regardless?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Top 6 ACC finish and NCAA Tournament berth.

Mar 13, 2020, 4:37 PM

I feel good about the upgrades in talent. It should be a good few years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too.***

Mar 13, 2020, 8:09 PM

I want to move on.***

Mar 13, 2020, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Top 6 ACC finish and NCAA Tournament berth. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sounds like a you problem***

Mar 13, 2020, 5:19 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually it is a personal preference.

Mar 13, 2020, 8:30 PM

What else would it be?

I prefer to enjoy watching the Clemson basketball team play. That has happened many times in my lifetime, but not much in the last 9 years or so.

Just my preference. What’s yours?

So there is nothing we can accomplish next year to change your mind?***

Mar 13, 2020, 5:42 PM [ in reply to I want to move on.*** ]

So...what are you promising for next year?

Mar 13, 2020, 8:27 PM

I don’t believe it.

Please answer my question.

Mar 14, 2020, 10:46 AM

What would we have to accomplish next year for you be satisfied with the job Brownell has done?

My answer was that I would prefer to have a new coach

Mar 14, 2020, 8:13 PM

for next season.

If it’s still Brad...then so be it. We’ll just see what happens.

I happen to like Brad as a person. Just tired of the constant excuses for 10 years. Sooner or later, you may just have to overcome some adversity.

Serious Answer

Mar 13, 2020, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Top 6 ACC finish and NCAA Tournament berth. ]

I can completely understand the frustration on the part of many when they view BB's 10 year record, but as JK pointed out, the last four years have been pretty good by Clemson standards, especially if we assume that we would have received an NIT bid this year. There are very few 4 year periods in Clemson basketball history that will match or exceed the team's performance in the last four years in terms of getting tournament invites.

Should we expect more? We certainly should. My expectations may be on the lower end but I would expect a a NIT or NCAA bid every year and at least two NCAA bids every five years. I would also expect us to do well when we do get to the invite. A first round elimination in every single post-season tournament would also not be acceptable. In other words, just making the tournament is not good enough, we should win at least a game or two once we get there.

I believe that BB can coach; his main issue has been recruiting. I am very hopeful for next year - Al-Amir Dawes is a player, Simms can be very good on certain days and can provide great leadership. Newman is also steadily improving. Our supporting cast and the new freshmen coming in should really make us a good team next year. Our defense is usually consistently good. We have also shown that we can shoot free throws. Our recruiting is steadily improving.

If this team does not do well next year, it has to be on Coach Brownell (barring injuries).

Re: Serious Answer

Mar 13, 2020, 7:41 PM

Good answer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know you weren't asking me, but I'm going to answer

Mar 13, 2020, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Top 6 ACC finish and NCAA Tournament berth. ]

anyway. I have expectations of making the NCAA tournament next year, but I do not believe Brad should be fired next year even if we don't make them barring a total team meltdown or unforeseen controversy. I want to see Brad coaching Newman as a senior and Dawes as a junior. I think those two will be lethal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

So even if we have a worse than expected year next year, you’d push to keep him?

Mar 13, 2020, 8:13 PM

It will be year 11 for Brad. I don’t see how we can keep him if we don’t have a good year next year. Fan morale would likely be low, and I’m guessing that would show in attendance being lower. DRad would likely feel that it is time for a fresh perspective.

Re: I know you weren't asking me, but I'm going to answer

Mar 14, 2020, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I know you weren't asking me, but I'm going to answer ]

The hope is that every "year-after-next" will show even more promise than "next year". Considering Simms and Baehre will both be gone in the season you mention, I'd want to see us develop and/or recruit a PF/C who can contribute significant minutes in the post. I'd like to think Jemison will continue to develop and will be "the guy" in 2021-22, but I still have questions that lead me to wonder if he's more than a 15-minute guy. I do think he showed SIGNIFICANT improvement over the last 10-15 games of the season...so hopefully he benefited a bit from baptism by fire this season (as did many of his teammates), due to injuries at his position.

PJ Hall will undoubtedly be a nice piece, but as many have critiqued here, I'd rather us not be playing a stretch PF (like Simms and Hall both are) as our main center, especially during the grind of conference play.

As you've said though, I expect our backcourt to be absolutely lethal for the next few years...and good teams, championship teams, ALWAYS have good guard play. Morale within the team will be important, as undoubtedly we will have a transfer from somewhere. We'll have too many cooks and not enough kitchen space. Dawes, Honor, Hunter, Hemenway, Trapp, Newman, Prosper...somebody is going to see less playing time next year than they'd like, and in today's world of instant gratification displaying in the form of 700-800 transfers per season in college basketball, I wouldn't be shocked to see a departure.

With that being said, I think, without mitigating circumstances, it will be extremely tough to argue with those who want to move on, if an appearance in the Big Dance isn't the result next season. I can't say I wouldn't support another year without a tournament appearance, but I also won't argue with someone who wants to go in another direction.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Top 6 ACC finish and NCAA Tournament berth. ]

No way anything under 20 to 23 wins would be a disappointment. Time to be real about basketball.

So finishing in the top third or so of the conference and

Mar 14, 2020, 10:50 AM

making the NCAAs next year might still be a disappointment in your world?!?

My expectations are actually extremely similar.

Mar 13, 2020, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Top 6 ACC finish and NCAA Tournament berth. ]

I agree with Top 6 ACC finish and an NCAA berth, and think that's 20+ regular season wins.

I truly want CBB and our program to be successful, that's what's lost on some of you guys. I call things as I see them, and it has been an incredibly frustrating few years. We see flashes of dominance and what "could be" and then we lose to a bottom dweller(See 3 top 6 wins, and then losses to some bad teams). I also don't call out college players, and feel wins and loses ultimately stay with the coach(who's being paid handsomely)

I am hopeful for more consistency next year as our young performers grow into their roles, and we have a couple of hotshot freshman coming on board.

With the nucleus we currently have and the guys coming on board, Clemson could be a very dangerous team for anyone they play.

NCAAT berth and he deserves to keep his job. If we regress or have an underwhelming year, I think it's time to make a move.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Mar 16, 2020, 6:50 AM [ in reply to Top 6 ACC finish and NCAA Tournament berth. ]

I assume that would mean at least 11-12 ACC wins and at least 18-19 overall wins (regular season).

If this occurs, Brad should stay. If not, it will be time to go in a different direction.

All of this assumes that we don’t have significant injuries or unexpected departures for next year.

Question for you: what do we have to achieve next year for you to want to keep Brownell? Or do you want to move on regardless?

I share these expectations, but not with the caveats of injuries and roster attrition. It’s Year 11, Coach Brownell must do better to keep his roster intact and build sufficient depth to weather the injury bug. Otherwise, just another familiar season of a snakebit team not reaching its potential.

Better question, what will it take for you whineyass crybaby

Mar 13, 2020, 4:37 PM [ in reply to 2 serious questions for you. ]

MFers to actually get behind the program? How many Ws, what placement?

Could you please name names...

Mar 13, 2020, 4:38 PM

so I'm not trying to figure out who you're talking about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Could you please name names...

Mar 13, 2020, 4:41 PM

You're in denial apparently. Your attitude has cost us a lot of wins through the years.

Re: Could you please name names...

Mar 13, 2020, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Could you please name names... ]

Yep, I agree. Next year will determine BB's future, either here or some place else.

Wish I could, but no lists, no personal attacks***

Mar 13, 2020, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Could you please name names... ]

This will drive me crazy all weekend.***

Mar 13, 2020, 4:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: This will drive me crazy all weekend.***

Mar 13, 2020, 5:06 PM

How bout some hints. Anyone already in this thread???

I have gifted you a distraction from these troubling times,

Mar 13, 2020, 5:18 PM [ in reply to This will drive me crazy all weekend.*** ]

you're welcome

Re: Better question, what will it take for you whineyass crybaby

Mar 13, 2020, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Better question, what will it take for you whineyass crybaby ]

If I remember correctly you weren’t behind the program when the previous coach was here and built a much better program in a shorter amount of time than Brownell.

Mar 13, 2020, 5:41 PM

Ehhhh. Did you have a different username then?

You need to check your memory banks ####, I easily

Mar 13, 2020, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Better question, what will it take for you whineyass crybaby ]

attended and supported more of OP's games than you did

Mar 13, 2020, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Better question, what will it take for you whineyass crybaby ]

0-3 in NCAA> 3-2 Sweet 16 Appearance. Gotcha.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:37 PM

Those records are very overrated IMO. Purnell built a more consistent program. One of the 3 wins by Brownell you’re referencing was in the playin game and we ended up losing in the round of 64 meaning we made it no further than we did in the 3 years Purnell got us there. The Sweet 16 appearance was great, but that 1 season out of 10 means very little.

You know what else means very little?

Mar 13, 2020, 8:18 PM

Purnell’s tenure here, because he bailed on his players, the administration, the fans that supported him. He didn’t give his bosses the courtesy of a meeting, nor did he tell his players of his decision in person. I have no respect for someone like that, regardless of the job they might have done.

I do think Purnell did a good job turning our program around, but it was obvious that he reached his ceiling here and that some worse years were on the horizon. Plus, we never came close to winning an NCAA Tournament game.

Re: You know what else means very little?

Mar 14, 2020, 6:25 AM

“He had reached his ceiling”

Such a stupid statement. The way we were recruiting the tournament wins would have come. His last class was ranked 15th in the nation. Let me know when Brownell brings in a class that highly rated.

And if not mistaken we were in all of those tournament games. You’re just lying to make Brownell look better and it’s pathetic.

Re: You know what else means very little?

Mar 14, 2020, 8:53 AM

He was recruiting so well that we had just one player signed (Marcus Thornton) to fill three open slots (Trevor Booker, David Potter, Karolis Petrukonis) in the 2010 class when Purnell decided to bolt for DePaul.

His last class was highly ranked, but none of the players fit their billing.

Milton Jennings
Devin Booker
Noel Johnson
Donte Hill

Perhaps other coaches evaluated those players correctly in passing on them? We don't really know. All I know...none of them met the expectations established by their star rankings. None.

LOL at you mentioning the most overrated recruiting class

Mar 14, 2020, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: You know what else means very little? ]

in Clemson basketball history.

Please let us know how each of the players in that class turned out. Oh that's right, you don't care how good those players actually were, because that would significantly hurt your support for Purnell and your anti-Brownell agenda.

I feel very good about Brownell's recruiting lately. If you look at the recruiting trajectory since we got new facilities, recruiting rankings have been steadily improving. And since Brownell is much better than Purnell at developing players and improving their skill set, I have confidence that those improved recruiting classes will result in more wins.

Lastly, it's laughable that you're trying to justify Purnell's 0-fer in the NCAA Tournament by saying "we were in all of those games." No, we weren't. And we LOST.

You know what....I'm not feeding the troll today....Have a

Mar 13, 2020, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Better question, what will it take for you whineyass crybaby ]

great weekend.

The Sound of Settling

Mar 14, 2020, 1:24 PM [ in reply to 2 serious questions for you. ]

So shall we settle for middling basketball? Shall we settle for every win that could have been with little passion and little excitement? This seems to be a debated consensus for many.

That's not how I roll. I support the alma mater, and I've supported the football team through thick & thin and now greatness since 1979 - and supported the other futbol. And supported basketball from 1979 to about five years ago, but I moved on after the 1st season in Greenville. My take is Brad Brownell has been given a precious opportunity and a fortune in salary. He has not failed and he has not succeeded. His brand of consistent ordinary average basketball has been sustained for many many seasons.

I enrolled at Clemson from Hampton, VA in 1979 largely due to a love of warm weather and ACC basketball. As a high school footballer & baseball player in VA, I fell in love with the star of the show, Clemson Football, very quickly. But I always loved Clemson hoops as well. From our OT win in early 1980 vs. #1 Duke to Horace Grant, Buckner, Boogie and even missed chances with Joe Ward and returned mad bomber Oglesby.

But in this era of crappy college basketball, and one and done players, there is plenty of opportunity for basketball to improve with passionate coaching and a passionate brand of basketball at Clemson University. And that's my take ... respect others to have their own ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pphrk6wE5aw

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Sound of Settling

Mar 14, 2020, 1:33 PM

1st season in Greenville?

Now that we finally beat UNC on the road

Mar 13, 2020, 4:50 PM

I do not see myself following men's hoops any more.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball improvement is obvious.

Mar 13, 2020, 5:22 PM

This post sounds like the coots declaring Muschamp and his program to be improving. When you're at the bottom and your program sucks, then when you're no longer on the bottom, it does NOT mean that you are improving. Maybe the "blind squirrel" phrase applies here more than "improving".

There is no denying that we have improved.

Mar 13, 2020, 5:47 PM

The data clearly support that.

I’m not sure why you are contesting that.

Re: There is no denying that we have improved.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:37 PM

I am not sure how much we really improved this year. I think next year we have more potential than we have had in a long time though.

Re: There is no denying that we have improved.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:41 PM [ in reply to There is no denying that we have improved. ]

How exactly does the data support that? So we may have reached the NIT this season with a .500 record? That sounds no different than a South Carolina football fan next season saying their program is improving if they go 6-6 and make a bowl game.

Why are you bringing up Gamecock football?!?

Mar 13, 2020, 8:20 PM

That has nothing to do with Clemson basketball.

Are you a Coot?

Improvement based on the last four years

Mar 13, 2020, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: There is no denying that we have improved. ]

compared to the first six years.

That was pretty clear in my post.

I agree that this season doesn’t look much better than last year on paper, but you also must consider that we were replacing most of our production from last year, had a lot of new faces on this year’s team, and most importantly, had a lot of injuries to contend with.

I feel that this year was an excellent coaching job by Brad.

Considering we lost 4 starters from last year, and had so

Mar 13, 2020, 5:25 PM

many injuries and a proven transfer sitting out (Nick Honor), I think it was a successful year and really look forward to an outstanding year next year!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Considering we lost 4 starters from last year, and had so

Mar 13, 2020, 5:42 PM

So we lost players from last year that is what recruiting is for to replace them. Going to the NIT is not an accomplishment I have never heard coaches or players excited to go there. The point of the game is winning and if you are not winning a lot you go to the NIT.

Re: Considering we lost 4 starters from last year, and had so

Mar 13, 2020, 5:45 PM

Ok Coot.

Mar 13, 2020, 5:39 PM

I don’t consider the NIT at post season play. It’s a glorified participation certificate for the teams who weren’t good enough to make ncaa’s.

Well, it is postseason play whether you consider it as such or not.

Mar 13, 2020, 8:25 PM

And it’s a clear improvement compared to not making any tournament at all.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:03 PM

Interesting how going froma sweet 16 team to a NIT 2 seed and (projected) NIT 6 seed is improving.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

It's not. Some people on this site are very delusional.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:59 PM

You are one of the few that tells the truth. The win at Chapel Hill and the buyout are why Brownell is being retained. Everyone get ready for more mediocrity.

The win in Chapel Hill is actually a minor reason for it.

Mar 13, 2020, 8:30 PM

It’s sad that you have such a low opinion of Radakovich. He’s much more sensible than you think.

The point is that the last four years are a clear improvement

Mar 13, 2020, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball improvement is obvious. ]

compared to the first six years.

My point should have been obvious to you. There is no way any sensible person reading my post should have concluded that I was claiming that NIT is an improvement over NCAAs.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:08 PM

A year ago making the NCAAs was required according to you so I assume this prognostication has the same sincerity.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Link? NOBODY predicted at the end of last season that we

Mar 13, 2020, 6:16 PM

should/would make the NCAA THIS season

Re: Link? NOBODY predicted at the end of last season that we

Mar 13, 2020, 7:14 PM

Except for Judge Keller one year ago. Ask him. I already posted the screen cap.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Mar 13, 2020, 6:14 PM

If we finish 5th-6th in the ACC, with 18-20 wins and make at least the NIT, I am fine keep Brad. I think he is a great coach and getting better on the recruiting trail. It would take a 10-15 win season and players quitting on him-type of season for me to want to move on.

Consistency is the best recruiting tool any school can have, and we have shown to believe in his vision for the program and to be realistic with expectations year in and out. If the young guys coming in perform to their rankings, we should be a really good, upper tier ACC team next year, with a nice mix of veteran leadership and it could be the kind of year to jump-starting more consistent recruiting (which IMO has been the biggest issue during his tenure).

For those who want to fire him for not making the NCAA's, who do you want to hire, who is going to take us to the next level? I do not see anyone worth firing him for, or replacing him with, that would be any kind of up-grade. If you have suggestions, please let me know who and why that coach is the capable of improving our program (not being facetious, I keep up with all levels of college basketball and have for 20 years, I firmly believe in only firing someone if it is a significant upgrade)

Good point...When the players quit on Brad, I will too...***

Mar 13, 2020, 6:18 PM

Mar 13, 2020, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball improvement is obvious. ]

The last part of your post sounds exactly like posts arguing for keeping Tommy Bowden in football. I know we don’t have history in basketball, and I’m not saying we’d be hiring the next Dabo if we made a move. However, if the best argument for keeping a coach is fear over not finding anyone better then you have the wrong coach.

Mar 13, 2020, 6:21 PM

Las Vegas obviously felt Clemson was better then their record with 6th best odds to win the tournament. I think our guys had a shot had it not been cancelled.

Mar 13, 2020, 7:23 PM

Vegas our odds on a hypothetical NIT tournament? Are you sure you’re not thinking of the projected 6th seed for Clemson? That would be one of two 6 seeds in the tournament with an 8 seed being the lowest possible seed.

Not happy where we're at, but

Mar 13, 2020, 6:21 PM

I'm in agreement with giving Brad one more year. He now has everything in place facility-wise, the strong group returning and a promising incoming class. It's NCAA or bust in 2021 - no excuses are acceptable.

Mar 13, 2020, 7:54 PM

I wish my company would pay me the same type money For the same type improvement / performance! All that needs to be said.

NCAA Tournament next season or Bust.

Mar 13, 2020, 8:00 PM

Yes?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Improvement - perhaps ( long- but with no sports!!!!!)

Mar 14, 2020, 8:56 AM

Your analysis holds some water. However.
Under OP - we had reasonable success. Then it tanked due to both OP departure and BB. So now, the improvement you speak of is based on incredibly low starting point created by BB.
The sweet 16 was nice. Agree on that one.
But to be thinking actually going to the NIT a couple of times and then hoping for another bid to actually be considered in the top 96 teams in the country - is a stretch. 64+32.
I still believe that the ACC has gotten much weaker in the past 10 years, so the ACC win total of finishing .500 ish does not impress me either.

My concern about BB stays consistent. Does not seem to be able to attract and develop big men. Does not seem to develop. We get lots of rentals for one or two years and chemistry is not developed. This method would have made sense for the first 2-4 years after OP left, but why in the world are we needing transfers in year 10? Yes- other teams get transfers - but to support- not be the starters.
Getting better is relative. If you start from the bottom, it is not really difficult.

Now, after all that - I will probably shock you. I would give BB this coming year. Not really sure why because I still believe he coaches the team like we are a mid major. (3 point shooting and no inside game- dominated on the boards.).
I did see some excitement this year, maybe a pulse from BB. I want him to succeed. But I also want to threaten the top 3 teams in the ACC (not for the occasional win like this year ). But for the regular season and tournament titles. Maybe not every year - but like Florida State.

Do I think we need a change? Yes.
Am I supportive of the program? Yes
Do I think BB has the right stuff? No
Will I support BB this coming year? Absolutely.

Mar 14, 2020, 12:37 PM

The only way I felt CBB wouldn't be retained next season was if the team tanked in a major way and the players weren't giving their best effort. Based on the pre January results, felt the team wouldn't win more than five ACC games. Biggest frustration was the lack of consistently effective shooting. If the team doesn't make the NCAAs next year with a healthy roster, it would be just one NCAA appearance in CBB's last ten years. Then, don't see how the case for retention could be made. Definitely hope he's successful and can take the program to a point where NCAA tourney appearances are more frequent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

He won in Chapel Hole.

Mar 14, 2020, 1:41 PM

That's all that matters in my eyes. That could have been the only game we won all year and I'd say give the guy another year.

Having that monkey off the programs back is a season's worth of success by its self.

Re: He won in Chapel Hole.

Mar 14, 2020, 7:30 PM

Top 6 in the ACC will be tough if not impossible.

Duke
Louisville
Florida State
Virginia
These four are all light years ahead as programs and talent is far better than Clemson

North Carolina will be back next year with one of the best recruiting classes in program history and 5 new players who are going to be flat out good. 2 recruits on the 2021 team are potential Top 3 NBA players. They will be very very very very good next season.

So that puts Clemson best case at No. 6 adding only a FOUR star PF and a project as the only 2 recruits. Clemson's class is right now at #9 in the ACC and seems to be full.

Florida State looks to be in good shape with Jalen Green who would give the Noles a pair of 5 star recruits and push Clemson to #10. I don't see how a #10 class along with the ACC being better next year makes Clemson Top 6.

And my way too early predictions for 2020-2021 pending a thousand changing parts
(depending on who stays and goes to the NBA and which remaining recruits sign where)

1. Duke (Signed a total of 4 players rated 5 stars and another pair of 4* plus whoever stays from this year. Tres is gone but the others may come back from another year. Carey and Moore may go Pro but Stanley and Hurt all have a good reason to return)
2. UNC (A pair of 7-foot trees rated at 5 stars plus another 5* and 3 more 4* players. I think they are in good shape with Zaire Williams who would give them 7 players ranked in the top 100 rated at 4 or 5 stars.)
3. Florida State (which players stay in Tally will be the key. Potential to add a pair of 5 * studs in Barnes and Green)
4. Virginia (Bennett can coach, this was the rebuilding year, a full roster returning and a pair of 4 star recruits)
5. Louisville (Only one senior on the roster but need a strong April signing)
6. State (KW best recruiting class yet. Josh Hall is special. 5 players coming into the program gives NC State a Top 10 nationally-ranked class and much-needed depth.
7. Syracuse (returns everybody and adds a pair of 4* and Jim is a better coach)
8. Miami (returns the full roster adds a pair of 4* and Jim is a better coach
9. Va Tech (Mike Young is a better coach, has a better recruiting class in Year 2 and the roster is more talented already)
10. Pitt (Jeff Capel is a better coach, the roster is better and he has a pair of 4* players and potentially 2 additional 4 star players added to an improving team)
11 Clemson (Questionable coaching, and adding a single 4 star and a project as the only recruits)
12. Ga Tech (weak recruiting thus far but a very good end to the season)
13. Notre Dame (ND never has highly regarded recruits but always managed in the past)
14. Boston (Roster in constant flux, the recruiting is lacking)
15. Wake (You don't win with 2* recruits or with Danny Manning as your coach)

LOL at Mike Young being a better coach than Brownell.***

Mar 14, 2020, 10:44 PM

Re: LOL at Mike Young being a better coach than Brownell.***

Mar 15, 2020, 6:15 PM

Young was 2-0 versus CBB this year. hmmmm.....

Re: LOL at Mike Young being a better coach than Brownell.***

Mar 15, 2020, 9:25 PM

Results don’t matter.

Brownell was 1-0 against Roy Williams and 1-0 against Coach K this year.

Mar 15, 2020, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Re: LOL at Mike Young being a better coach than Brownell.*** ]

So by your logic, he must be a better coach than both of them. Right?

Looks like we are getting a great deal.

Mar 15, 2020, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Re: He won in Chapel Hole. ]

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">
Are "projects" Top 100 players? Do "projects" win MVP awards in prestigious tournaments like the World Prep Invitational? I'll take "projects" that look and play like this any day of the week.

Mar 15, 2020, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Re: He won in Chapel Hole. ]

https://insidetheloudhouse.com/2020/03/15/syracuse-basketball-two-more-orange-guards-are-apparently-transferring/

Syracuse returns everyone? Really? Checked your research lately? Or you just sticking with making everything up, similar to your rating of Olivier-Maxence Prosper?

2020 Co-Champions of the ACC Tourney!***

Mar 15, 2020, 9:54 PM

Is this post a joke? Please tell me it’s a joke.

Mar 16, 2020, 12:26 PM

Please tell me you’re being sarcastic.

Unfortunately, since it’s JK, he’s not joking at all. I’d say it’s unbelievable, but we’ve all gotten used to his idiotic nonsense.

If you can't see that the last four years are

Mar 16, 2020, 1:57 PM

an improvement over the first six years, I don't know what to tell you.

If you can't see that our recruiting the last few cycles is an improvement over recruiting classes in the years prior, I don't know what to tell you.

This isn't complicated. It's actually very straightforward.

Mar 16, 2020, 12:44 PM

it is really hard watching a CBB coached team.......being consistently inconsistent is not showing any signs of improvement after 10 years.......give us a break with all your BS please.......enough is enough......Go Tigers!!!!!

Mar 16, 2020, 1:46 PM

Brad has to recruit big 6-10 7-0 centers how can run all night and be dominating in the paint and out rebound everyone. Get the big guys down low and feed him the ball.. IMO Does Tree Rollins have any eligibility left??? Hint pssst, you find these guys overseas (if the virus had shrunk them to a midget..

Then, you recruit guards, forwards etc that can work with with a giant in the paint... and he is doubled he kicks it back out for the open shot.

Basketball is really a simple game...

WT

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic