Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not Clemson related, but any fellow deer hunters out there
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Not Clemson related, but any fellow deer hunters out there

Jun 27, 2016, 11:38 PM

When do you typically plant food plots? And what's your go to for planting? Just curious thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jusr watch "Deer Hunter" and you'll be all set :)***

Jun 27, 2016, 11:41 PM

i hunt but I do it the old fashioned way without all that

Jun 27, 2016, 11:43 PM

I wish you the best though and I'm certain someone on here can help you! I'm just a stand sitter.... That sounds contradictory. Good luck, be safe!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

De Niro is a step ahead of his Godfather part in this 1***

Jun 27, 2016, 11:44 PM

Re: De Niro is a step ahead of his Godfather part in this 1***

Jun 27, 2016, 11:51 PM

agree.

"We gotta play with more bullets"

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: De Niro is a step ahead of his Godfather part in this 1***

Jun 28, 2016, 12:18 AM

I plant nothing but oats around Sept.15th. High in protein and the deer love it. Cheapest of all grains and you can plant them thick for a good crop. I get mine from a local farmer. $6 for a five gallon bucket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not Clemson related, but any fellow deer hunters out there

Jun 28, 2016, 12:20 AM

I know most clubs I've been in plant mixes of clover and rye. I prefer to hunt hardwood bottoms or fingers. A bottom of white oaks dropping acorns guarantees you a lot more success than sitting over a good plot in my opinion. But to each his own

Jun 28, 2016, 12:32 AM

I agree but I don't have the option of white oaks. White, red, and swamp chestnut oaks are the best natural mass but if you don't have them, you have to have another plan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2016, 3:20 AM

If you have a spot to hunt, and you know there are Deer around, a couple of weeks before the season starts, just put out a salt block some where within 100 yards of your tree stand. At least make it a challenge!!! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol I like you. Good response!

Jun 28, 2016, 9:49 AM

Go Tigers

Don't worry about a

Jun 28, 2016, 6:46 AM

food plot. Drop the tailgate, loose the redbones & black and tans and listen to the music!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Don't worry about a

Jun 28, 2016, 12:01 PM

Have a TU sir...

Almost 40 years later, I can still hear my Granddad's dogs running through the SC hardwood swamps.
Thanks for making me remember.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Jun 28, 2016, 7:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Easy question

Jun 28, 2016, 7:36 AM

Quercus alba. Find you some White Oak and sit and wait. Filet mignon to a deer!

I plant tomatoes in my garden and

Jun 28, 2016, 7:45 AM

Then go to the bilo for hamburger. Works every time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yesterday, one of my neighbors told me he saw a fawn

Jun 28, 2016, 7:53 AM

inside the fence of my next door neighbor's yard. When he approached, it managed to squeeze through the pickets of the aluminum fence and run off. The picket spread is 3.5"... VERY young.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I shot a werewolf once

Jun 28, 2016, 8:05 AM

, took it down with my .243
, but when I got over there to check my kill it had already turned back into the neighbor's dog .

I don't know who was more disappointed.

DB23

Re: I shot a werewolf once

Jun 28, 2016, 11:07 AM

That had to be a bad feeling for you both, if it was really an accident that you killed your neighbors friend and companion!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I shot a werewolf once

Jun 28, 2016, 11:24 AM

I stole it from that dude on the Office ...the one with the glasses that weirds everybody outall the time .

*He

Jun 28, 2016, 11:28 AM

Stole it. My kid says that line a bunch .

Just get you one of these dogs...***

Jun 28, 2016, 8:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I just polish the chrome om my bumper

Jun 28, 2016, 8:14 AM

and the deer just come right to me :(

I usually plant sorgham around this time of year so that it

Jun 28, 2016, 9:08 AM

ripens about the time we start our season Oct . For cowpeas and other quick growing foods, I put it in around Labor Day. Turnip greens around early October or late September.

Jun 28, 2016, 10:29 AM

I keep a year round food plot on my property to keep them coming in throughout the offseason. I'll usually sandbag my guests and put them on the plots while I hunt hard bottoms...deer can't stay away from acorns...then during the rut I'll hunt the pine thickets or the thickest sh*t I can find that usually full of briars, lol.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

On a side bar...

Jun 28, 2016, 10:31 AM

Anyone else have a coyote problem? I've thought about putting out poison but I don't want to hurt the other game out there. Predator calling is fun but it gets too #### cold.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: I just shoot them from my back porch at the farm.....

Jun 28, 2016, 11:31 AM

I've harvested some nice 10-pointers that way. For some reason, they just congregate behind the cabin around sunset and stand around. Never had the need for food plots, stands, etc. When I need to put some meat in the freezer I just sit out there with a beer and wait for a keeper to show up.

Screw Calford.

if I shot deer, I could have my limit in a week

Jun 28, 2016, 11:37 AM

and never leave my back porch too. I see 2-3 any given morning down the hill at my pond.

I save my ammo for squirrels and critters trying to eat my chickens. I have no quarrel with deer.

Pro tip: build a pond - deer and wild turkeys will take up residence.

Re: Pro tip

Jun 28, 2016, 11:54 AM

Turkey, quail and dove hunting is what I do and I make fairly serious efforts to maintain habitats for each--my dove fields are coming along nicely and I have several wild coveys that appear to be taking hold. I have more turkeys on my property than I'll ever be able to kill (legally). I have a couple of ponds reserved for ducks, with blinds.

IMO, shooting deer is like shooting cows but I need to have venison in the freezer. The bulk of my rifle shooting is .17hmr/.223 for killing off coyotes/hogs and other unwanted pests, which occasionally wander onto my property.

Screw Calford.

Just wait till that deer sleeps with your wife***

Jun 28, 2016, 12:17 PM [ in reply to if I shot deer, I could have my limit in a week ]

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I just shoot them from my back porch at the farm.....

Jun 28, 2016, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: I just shoot them from my back porch at the farm..... ]

A little off topic but, the way thing are in the world today, could you live out the rest of your life just from the meat on your property?

yeah, counting the fish in the pond I could

Jun 28, 2016, 12:43 PM

easily live off what I have without ever going to a store. I have chickens that provide eggs obviously, and meat if I had to (but I don't eat my chickens, too attached like pets).

Also have apple, pear, plum, pecan trees, and grape vines growing wild everywhere.

I brought my property from an old dude that was planning for an apocalypse event. If I would get off the Duke power grid, I could be totally self-sufficient.

Re: To answer your question....

Jun 28, 2016, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I just shoot them from my back porch at the farm..... ]

easily. Combined with what I grow (melons, corn, okra, tomatoes, onions, blueberries, etc.) I don't have to do much shopping at all for meat/veggies. We pretty much live off of what we produce/harvest at the farm, so if the you know what ever hit the fan, we'd be more than ok.

Screw Calford.

I haven't done any hunting in a long time, but we used to

Jun 28, 2016, 12:50 PM

plant cowpeas and the deer would eat them like candy. The difficult part was keeping them out long enough for the season to open.

Jun 28, 2016, 4:33 PM

Japanese millet in July. But oats are good too. Hunt white & red oaks in bottoms early. They have most protein & deer will be on them until they are all gone, typically after a couple of hard frosts. Green food will draw them later in the season

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic