Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Roku, Fire Stick or Chromecast?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Roku, Fire Stick or Chromecast?

Jul 12, 2016, 11:36 AM

I don't have cable or satellite, and need one of these for college football full viewing access.

I have a 2016 SONY Bravia 4K TV; sampled the Sling TV App back around basketball tournament time and it did not have everything I feel that I need.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Roku, Fire Stick or Chromecast?

Jul 12, 2016, 11:41 AM

Amazon Firestick (jailbroken)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Roku, Fire Stick or Chromecast? Own all three....

Jul 12, 2016, 11:47 AM

I like Roku better than my Firestick because it is much faster. Chromecast is fine but needs another device to stream it. Is Sling still offering a free ROKU 2 if you prepay three months in advance? That's how I got both my R and my AF devices. I am a Sling customer from the get go and wouldn't change to anything out there now. GL.

Re: Roku, Fire Stick or Chromecast? Own all three....

Jul 12, 2016, 12:31 PM

Without a doubt Firestick (jailbroken). I have chromecast too but the jailbroken Firestick gives you sooooo many options (current tv, movies, past seasons of just about any tv show, premium channels, sports). You can find them on ebay for around $60.

What Service ate you using to see all these current

Jul 12, 2016, 12:36 PM

Sporting events, tv, movies. .etc?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: What Service ate you using to see all these current

Jul 12, 2016, 2:17 PM

ROKU --fast, huge content selection. Great for sports. Headphones jack in remote. Get a model 3 or 4.

Jul 12, 2016, 11:42 AM

I have a fire stick and it's pretty good. Plus if you're a little tech savy you can load kodi software on there. Not sure if the other two allow that. Also you can use playstation vue on the fire stick....it's better than sling....more features, no contract, and relatively inexpensive. Look into it.

Fyi. Kodi is the new napster that allows you to steal content.***

Jul 12, 2016, 11:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Fyi. Kodi is the new napster that allows you to steal content.***

Jul 12, 2016, 11:50 AM

Lol you just told on yourself fool.

I can't stand thieves. Which is why I use the word steal in describing kodi

Jul 12, 2016, 12:09 PM

And not share or stream.

I use Kodi to access my personal PAID FOR media collection !***

Jul 12, 2016, 4:17 PM

Kodi is not the problem...3rd party Add Ins are the problem.***

Jul 12, 2016, 4:17 PM [ in reply to I can't stand thieves. Which is why I use the word steal in describing kodi ]

But YES, Those who use those Add Ins to --->***

Jul 12, 2016, 4:19 PM [ in reply to I can't stand thieves. Which is why I use the word steal in describing kodi ]

steam content they don't have the right to stream are -->***

Jul 12, 2016, 4:20 PM

THIEVES !!!***

Jul 12, 2016, 4:20 PM

Then don't use it....he asked for options/advice

Jul 12, 2016, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Fyi. Kodi is the new napster that allows you to steal content.*** ]

Besides kodi allows you to STREAM content when you use it through the fire stick not take possession of.

Re: Fyi. Kodi is the new napster that allows you to steal content.***

Jul 12, 2016, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Fyi. Kodi is the new napster that allows you to steal content.*** ]

With napster, didn't you have to download? Pretty sure there is no downloading involved with Kodi - it's just streaming - same as when you stream online with YouTube

Lol.. yes but that wasn't the issue. Access to content you didn't

Jul 12, 2016, 1:23 PM

Pay for was the reason it was shut down.

Some YouTube content is illegal. Yutube does a good job in deleting this content but stuff gets through.

This is the poblem. Like napster a tool was developed to help pepole share data via the internet. Perfectly legit

Thieves then use that tool to steal.

Re: Lol.. yes but that wasn't the issue. Access to content you didn't

Jul 12, 2016, 2:22 PM

True....not sure the solution unless Govt or folks in that industry make enough loud noise to shut it down and stop it. I know those things sell like hotcakes on eBay and I know several that use it in place of paying the outrageous prices of Cable and Satellite. Maybe if they didn't charge an arm and leg to force to have 250 channels (when you watch maybe 25-30 of them) and then a fee for having a box and then a fee to have it in HD and then a fee to have a fee and your bill goes up way over $100 a month.

Folks seem more and more resorting to these other tools - Roku, Chromecast or Firestick - jailbroken ones is what goes for like crazy on eBay. Until they make it illegal to own these jailbroken devices, not sure where the issue is if no law is being broken.

Kodi != Napster ... 3rd Party Add Ins = Napster

Jul 12, 2016, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Lol.. yes but that wasn't the issue. Access to content you didn't ]

I agree that people shouldn't be using software to access content they didn't pay for but Kodi is not that software. Out of the box you cannot stream content that you didn't pay for and Kodi does not provide that access through their officially sanctioned repositories. You can download perfectly legal add ins that allow you to stream from the network's own web site. For example if NBC has the most recent 5 episodes of a show available on their website there are add ins that allow you to stream those episodes directly from the website but within an interface that is big screen friendly. These add ins are available via the official Kodi repository. To me that is perfectly fine.

However, there are third parties which develop add ins and repositories from which to download those add ins. Some of these allow for streaming of content which in unavailable except via a paid service or hard copy without paying for it. This is a problem.

You can make all kinds of distinctions of streaming vs downloading and whether you actually took possession of the file or not. The law may be gray in this area but you know it's morally wrong ... it's theft.

WRONG - It is 3rd party add ins that allow content theft -->

Jul 12, 2016, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Fyi. Kodi is the new napster that allows you to steal content.*** ]

Kodi (formerly XBMC) is pure media center software. Many people, including myself, only use it to stream their personal media collection, not to obtain content that they did not pay for.

I have been using Kodi (XBoxMediaCenter) since it was on the original XBox (you had to hack the thing using a save game exploit to install it).

As a side note, the FireTV / FireTV Stick can't handle 24 fps video (standard film frame rate). So, if you rip a movie from bluray or dvd and try to play it back from within Kodi on a FireTV you will end up with slight judder. However, if you install Kodi on a normal computer you won't have this problem.

Those are just devices to smart up your tv.

Jul 12, 2016, 11:44 AM

Your sony is already smart. What you are really looking for is digital access to content.

How are you getting internet?

Do you have a ps4?

Re: Those are just devices to smart up your tv.

Jul 12, 2016, 11:58 AM

PS4 is broken down. I also have a SONY smart 4K blue ray player that offers more options than the TV (similar to what PS4 looks like/does) and a Yamaha Advantage Receiver, which also is smart/4k but have not really messed around with the Yamaha too much.

Internet is from AT&T, just basic service,

Jul 12, 2016, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Those are just devices to smart up your tv. ]

not uverse.

What didn't you like about sling?

Jul 12, 2016, 12:24 PM

Performance? It may have been your dsl.

I would never get dsl Internet if I had the choice. Cable or fiber.

Re: What didn't you like about sling?

Jul 12, 2016, 12:44 PM

Sling only carries ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS of the ESPN channels. No ESPN3 or alternatives.

FOX Sports, FS1 and FS2.

Then the SEC Channel.

oops...left out sling having ESPNU

Jul 12, 2016, 12:45 PM

edit

The Roku 4 and Chromecast 2 support the 802.11 AC wireless

Jul 12, 2016, 12:08 PM

standard. Don't think the Firestick is there yet. That is a huge difference maker for streaming. If you have an ASUS 802.11 AC router, your performance will be much improved if you have 802.11 AC based devices connected(or even if you don't as the signal is more powerful).

The Roku 4 is probably the best option for 4k streaming too. Not sure the other two support it.

The Chromecast 2 allows you to project whatever is on your desktop, laptop, tablet or phone onto the TV and it is an outstanding option.

While we have several Chromecast 2 devices, and love them, and a fast ASUS router, Roku has been around so much longer than the others and therefore probably more content, and with support for 4k, it's probably your best option. And most expensive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, my TV does let me cast from other devices as is already

Jul 12, 2016, 12:24 PM

and that is a nice feature.

FireTV also allows you to cast from other devices.***

Jul 12, 2016, 1:16 PM [ in reply to The Roku 4 and Chromecast 2 support the 802.11 AC wireless ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Roku has a large selection of apps

Jul 12, 2016, 12:29 PM

and is fast.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 12, 2016, 1:13 PM

Of those 3 options only Roku supports 4K. If you go with Amazon you have to get the Fire TV box.

Jul 12, 2016, 1:20 PM

Not that this really addresses your question, but as an FYI - the Firestick (voice and non-voice) is on sale TODAY ONLY on Amazon as it is Amazon Prime Day. You can get a free temp subscription I think, but not sure about that.

Jul 12, 2016, 1:31 PM

I have had a Roku 2, Roku 3 and the first Roku Stick. Roku 3 is working really well for me right now. Roku 2 started getting slow and so did the stick but I think they have a newer Roku Stick out now.

Jul 12, 2016, 1:34 PM

Amazon Firestick or Firetv. Download Kodi and purchase a subscription to Sportsaccess...its 38$ for a 90 day sub...you get every game in any sport crystal clear HD...I don't know why in the h3ll I paid for cable for so long. It's really legit dude.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jul 12, 2016, 1:51 PM

Jsebe,

How is sports access for toggling between games?

I have Kodi which is great for just about everything except for sports. I have espn3 and a vpn so no game is ever blacked out for me. My one issue is that espn3 is slow and inconvenient when switching from game to game.

Jul 12, 2016, 1:58 PM

The toggling really isn't bad at all...They have each user separated by servers...There are 4 different servers with multiple feeds for each even so there is very little toggling...There are some though it is rare...

If there is an event on ESPN I just use the watchESPN app with ZERO issues...The watchESPN app also has ESPN3 games...

Like I said...I don't know why I paid for cable for so long...

Kodi also has EXODUS which has every movie or TV show, but you can also use Netflix and crap...I youtube on there and watch literally all the Clemson games over again, lol.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jul 12, 2016, 2:04 PM

Yep. I will never pay for cable again. I use exodus and for the rare times that it is not working I use SALTS. I have watchespn as well as the fox sports app. it all works perfect for me but it annoys the hell out of me to switch between games for football. I may check out sportsaccess

Jul 12, 2016, 6:28 PM

Do it man. Money well spent I promise

You can have 3 simultaneous streams

Jul 12, 2016, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Roku, Fire Stick or Chromecast? ]

So tell your wife you need 2 more tvs

:)

Re: You can have 3 simultaneous streams

Jul 12, 2016, 2:00 PM

lmao!

Actually have one in the bedroom and the living room so I have a couple games going at once...Or Ill have the Braves going and the football game on

Jul 12, 2016, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Roku, Fire Stick or Chromecast? ]

How does this work with Kodi? Is sportsacess an app you install to watch?

FireStick with Kodi and Exodus

Jul 12, 2016, 2:16 PM

FireStick with Kodi and Exodus

That is your best bet by far. Just order your fire stick, do some googling for Kodi install Firestick and you can have it ready in about an 15 minutes watching anything your heart desires.

Yall THUMB UP the best answer. I'm tired of directv n want

Jul 12, 2016, 2:18 PM

an alternative too

Jul 12, 2016, 6:39 PM

None of the above with your TV... Get the Amazon Fire tv it supports 4K

Also the Fire TV is MUCH faster than the stick

Message was edited by: Clemalum07®

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jul 12, 2016, 7:24 PM

I've got the FireTv in my living room and stick in the bedrooms. Life changing.

Jul 12, 2016, 7:03 PM

hook up a cheap computer with a wireless keyboard and use the KODI app to control it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have Roku 3 and the Roku Streaming Stick for another

Jul 12, 2016, 9:42 PM

tv. The coolest thing about the Roku 3 aside from being blazing fast (dual band wifi) is the headphone plug in the remote. Plug in earphones and it mutes the tv...the wife loves it. The streaming stick is in the bedroom and has a quad processor in it as well as dual bandwifi. Great picture clarity and blazing speed on both.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic