Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BSB Update: Updated ACC Baseball Championship Bracket
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

BSB Update: Updated ACC Baseball Championship Bracket

May 23, 2014, 12:22 AM

Updated ACC Baseball Championship Bracket

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe not...***

May 23, 2014, 12:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Duke still has a chance?

May 23, 2014, 6:24 AM

We could have 3 teams at 2-1. Wouldn't they go as the highest seed?

That is correct...though we beat Duke, they'd advance***

May 23, 2014, 6:28 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is correct...though we beat Duke, they'd advance***

May 23, 2014, 8:20 AM

ACC Baseball Championship

An ten (10) team tournament featuring two first round games, and an eight-team, round robin pool play format season ending tournament will be played at a site with a lighted baseball fi eld over a six-day period to determine the conference champion and the automatic representative to the NCAA Tournament.

Teams will be divided into two (2) divisions with seeds #1, 4, 5 and the winner of the 8/9 game in Division A and seeds #2, 3, 6 and the winner of the 7/10 game in Division B. The teams with the best record in the two (2) divisions will compete for the championship title. If more than one (1) team is tied at the completion of round-robin play, the following tie-breaking procedure will be used:

(1) Two Teams Tied:

(a) The team that won the head-to-head competition in championship games will advance.

(2) Three Teams Tied:

a) The team with the best overall conference winning percentage in regular season play will advance.
(b) The team with the best head to head conference winning percentage among the tied teams in regular season play, provided that all teams were common opponents during the regular season, will advance.
(c) The team with the highest seed in the respective bracket will advance.

*Note: If multiple teams tie and the tie can be reduced to two (2) teams, the provisions for the two (2) team ties will be used from that point forward.

In the event that the 2014 ACC Baseball Championship is not played to completion, the #1 seed in the championship shall receive the NCAA Tournament automatic qualification.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Calling that a "bracket" is an embarrassment to baseball***

May 23, 2014, 7:22 AM

Basically, we still have to beat GT to advance. We lose

May 23, 2014, 9:15 AM

both possible tie-beakers in the event that GT beats us. Either Duke beats Miami forcing a 3-way tie and Duke advances due to being the highest seed or Miami beats Duke leaving a tie b/t GT and Clemson and GT advances due to beating us head-to-head.

Seriously, best conference winning % is an incredibly lame tie-breaker for a tournament. I hate this pool format.

I understand the frustration

May 23, 2014, 10:15 AM

but I think some of the committee's reasoning for choosing pool play is to give these teams a reward for playing well during the season. It gives the regular season a bit more validity. Do well enough and you earn a high seed which can (but not always) help you in the post-season. Everyone plays on a neutral field.

That being said, it doesn't matter because we're Tiger faithful and we know no matter the cards we're dealt; if we take care of our business we'll reap the rewards. Let's beat the nerds and go win us a championship! *goes and puts on a bunch of face paint.

I think it was the limit the descrepancy in # of games

May 23, 2014, 11:48 AM

played. With the old format some times were out after playing 2 games, and a winner coming from the losers bracket could play like 6. I think they wanted everyone to get at least 3 games, and also wanted to avoid wrecking the pitching staffs of the winners.

Who's idea was to use a round-robin format?

May 23, 2014, 9:19 AM

That person or persons should be tasered.

Re: Who's idea was to use a round-robin format?

May 23, 2014, 12:15 PM

Play the double elim. tourney format, like the sec and you can save all your pitchers for the reginals ????? seems like I know a team that does this ????HHHMMMMMMM ?????

How does double-elimination save pitchers?

May 23, 2014, 1:02 PM

Sure you can mail it in and lose 2 games without even throwing your best starters, but i don't think anyone does that. The ACCT is 3 or 4 games, double elimination is anywhere from 2 to 6.

And for the record i think the round-robin is horrible from a fan perspective, but i don't see where double elimination would offer any kind of advantage for teams playing in regionals the next week.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic